Inside Eric Mangini’s Jets tenure: Favre arm-twist, 2-faced owner, Spygate regret

Ken Schroy

Mangini was not a great coach and not perfect as a talent evaluator. Overall he did guide a good set of draft picks and deserves some credit for wanting to build a team through the draft by consistent drafting. 

Favre was not an isolated decision. It was the beginning of Tanny's strategy, apparently to Woody's delight, of making flashy draft picks and buying a team out of FA. We swung hard away from one end of the spectrum to the other.

Mangini would be a decent fit in the front office of a team. Unfortunately he's not going to have many options because he has a lot of failure on him and he's a rat.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woody is not even a business man he inherited his company.

Woody Johnson is the dumbest owner in the NFL BY FAR.  Worse than the Redskins owner, worse than Al Groh's kid, he is a DISGRACE.

Woody has nothing to do with Johnson & Johnson, and never did.

His grandfather and father paid him to stay away because he was so incompetent.

Great article. I will adamantly and vehemently defend that to this day that rex won with Eric's team and the further away we got from 2008 and the players left, and Rex's culture took over, we got worse. Eric had a lot of flaws but he was a great talent evaluator short of one pick. If Pennington is our qb like he wanted, we make the playoffs, he doesn't get fired  and who knows what happens in 09-10 and 10-11.

Not saying we made a mistake because I'm happy with Mac, jury still out on Bowles tho

13 hours ago, Ken Shroy said:

There was no great value in what they were doing,” Mangini said. “It wasn’t worth it. It wasn’t worth it to me personally. It wasn’t worth it to the relationship.” The relationship died. Belichick’s legacy was tainted. Mangini was seen as a traitor. “I cared about him,” Mangini said. “I didn’t want to hurt him. I didn’t want to hurt the Patriots. They were a huge part of my life, too, and the Kraft family. The Krafts were always great to me. It wasn’t like I was thinking I really want to get these guys. My thought was I don’t want to put my team at a competitive disadvantage, no matter how small.”

Funny....I would think there would be great value in knowing what play or defense the opposing team will run before the play starts.   Seems like a lot of time, effort and risk for no value.

26 minutes ago, jett said:

Great article. I will adamantly and vehemently defend that to this day that rex won with Eric's team and the further away we got from 2008 and the players left, and Rex's culture took over, we got worse. Eric had a lot of flaws but he was a great talent evaluator short of one pick. If Pennington is our qb like he wanted, we make the playoffs, he doesn't get fired  and who knows what happens in 09-10 and 10-11.

Not saying we made a mistake because I'm happy with Mac, jury still out on Bowles tho

Eric didn't build that team though and he couldn't win with it even w/o Brady and a creampuff sched in 2008.  rex maximized the wins w/ the talent we had that Eric wouldn't win with.

I love Chad but assuming he stayed healthy in 2008 like he did w/ Miami we make a deep run but chances are he gets hurt in 2009 and/or 2010.

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

So you are an expert on Johnson and Johnson? Here's a Johnson for you jerko. f**k off.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Of course that's the reason. Everyone knows it. He went to Denver with BB's blessing and Mangini went to the Jets despite BB's strong objection.

Meh, if McDaniels is such a good OC then why did he flop in his coordinating/playcalling in both of his non-Patriots stints, with players that had better success without him? I'm not impressed with him at this point. You don't know how many dumb play calls get overruled by BB or changed by Brady at the line. 

Lets see, New England has one of the best coordinators in the NFL (far from being perfect) and your criticism is what? Stick to commenting on your franchises decades long bad decision making. By the way, I thing the re-emergence of offense line coach Dante Scarnecchia has a lot to do with the Patriots success this season. Lets see how many dumb call the Jets call this weekend. Nuff said.

Look the reason Woody brought in Mangini was to try to copy NEP's success. But as I recall he personally didn't like Mangini's Belichickesque style with all of the secrecy etc. And of course Eric is no BB,. He's a smart football guy but doesn't have the leadership ability etc as his former mentor. Then Woody brings in Rex who is the exact opposite of Eric and he loved the guy, Of course like Rex Ryan he loves himself more. btw when Eric went to Cleveland he started acting again like a hard ass. Even trying to put an end to stuff from  the Brown's past at their Headquarters which pissed off a lot of people. I think those are things that BB cares less about. And believe it or not Belichick is liked by people in the NEP org not only for his competency but on a personal basis. And Eric wasn't liked by people.Some Mangenius.

Mangini not only did the right thing by exposing the patriots videotaping, as the Jets head coach he had a moral obligation to do so. 

Regarding Favre, he never wanted to be here.  He just wanted to play for a season until the restriction of him not returning to the NFC was lifted, and he could get "revenge" against the meany Packers for moving on from him. Signing him was a terrible move. 

Mangini had so much potential. I think his opportunity just came too soon for him. He lacked the people skills that are necessary to  successfully coach a football team. 

1 hour ago, jett said:

Good post I agree with everything you said

Mangini definitely going with a bit of revisionist history here.  For starters, the whole being opposed to Favre thing only came up after he fired, and has been long since proven as a pile of crap considering Mangini was so in love with him that he named his kid after him.  Besides, pretending Favre is anywhere close to the sole reason he was fired is total nonsense.  The team was coming off a crappy year in 2007 and the even bigger issue with the 2008 team was Mangini's supposed "specialty" of defense.  What made matters worse was after being mediocre throughout most of the year, Mangini stripped Sutton of the play-calling duties and took it over himself, at which point the entire D completely collapsed into it's worst performances of the year.

His opinion on the Spygate stuff I think is legitimate enough though.  He was definitely right in giving the team the heads up about it and keeping it from happening, he just seems to regret it being made into a big issue.  With that said, the issue was 100% at the fault of the Pats.  It was reported at the time that the issue came to a head when Jets' security tried to confiscate the tapes from the Pats, who refused to hand them over, which is what got the NFL security team involved.  If not for those cheating assholes not only trying to cheat against a coach who knew how they cheated, but then refusing to surrender when stopped from cheating, none of that would have ever happened.  Mangini may have lots of other crap to be blamed for, but there's nothing he did wrong there.

4 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

That's not true. 

Woody has been successful in his own right and he wasn't paid by his grandfather to stay away. 

That season started out great with Favre. The Jets opened 8-3 and looked like a Super Bowl contender. Then Favre suffered a torn biceps, the Jets lost four of five and Mangini was called just before midnight after the team’s final game — a loss to the Dolphins and Chad Pennington, the quarterback the Jets cut when they got Favre — and the coach was told he was fired

saw that coming a mile away

8 hours ago, no psls said:

It's all Woody's fault ; it always is ; he's NOT a football owner ; he's a business man ; he wouldn't know a football from a soccer ball ; we'll never get to the promised land with him as an owner ; OH THE PAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

download.jpg

I wouldn't even call Woody a businessman.  He inherited his money.

5 hours ago, nyjets782 said:

Funny....I would think there would be great value in knowing what play or defense the opposing team will run before the play starts.   Seems like a lot of time, effort and risk for no value.

You don't need videotaping equipment to steal signals.  Stealing signals was legal in 2007 and it is still legal today.  

35 minutes ago, Larz said:

but bill forgot you can't use it in the same game.  oops

You are only partially correct.

You cannot record the signals using equipment.

NFL+Spygate.jpg

And please explain how this was used in game? 

4 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

I wouldn't even call Woody a businessman.  He inherited his money.

its even worse that that.  he was a C student in college, so his dad hired a few businessmen to mentor him before they even let him near the family money

6 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

You are only partially correct.

You cannot record the signals using equipment.

NFL+Spygate.jpg

And please explain how this was used in game? 

roger destroyed the evidence to protect the shield.  do we really have to rehash this sh*t constantly for you guys ?

On 9/27/2016 at 10:57 PM, SAR I said:

Not sure what to say other than if Favre stayed healthy we would have won the division and might have gone all the way, and without Favre, well, Eric Mangini was awful.

So his grudge about being double-crossed on Favre seems inappropriate.  The only QB he was successful with shouldn't be used as the reason for his failure.

SAR I

Jets were leading the division at 8-3 after winning on a Thursday in Foxboro. It was a typical Woody Johnson move, but it almost worked. If Mangini felt that strongly, he could've yanked Favre in December. That is on him as HC. 

While he brags about drafting Revis, fails to mention Revis hated him for being a complete dick to players.If you're  Bellichick and have rings, you can do that nonsense. If you're Mangini, it's just being a dick.

Nor does he mention the sheetbag offense on Brian Shottenheimer. The one good thing you can say about Favre is he mostly ignored that moron. It's a process? 

Fair to note that what ever success Ryan had was done with those players. 

23 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I thought that Eric had a good relationship with the owner and was once and adviser to him. Not sure about the present status of his relationship with Tanny. Again Tanny is the one who officially fired him. 

Mangini has the same status in the NFL that Artie Lange currently has with the howard stern show

12 hours ago, Larz said:

roger destroyed the evidence to protect the shield.  do we really have to rehash this sh*t constantly for you guys ?

No.  You have adequately answer the question how they used it in game.

The Patriots recorded the signals.  That is what they were guilty of.  Not stealing signals as even Goodell said that is legal.

No.  You have adequately answer the question how they used it in game.
The Patriots recorded the signals.  That is what they were guilty of.  Not stealing signals as even Goodell said that is legal.

Those were special video cameras.

They sent mental telethapy signals directly into Brady's helmet in real time.

He knew the exact defense prior to the snap.

On 9/28/2016 at 9:36 AM, SAR I said:

Whoa there, Nellie.  Think again.  In the 15 seasons Woody Johnson has owned the Jets:

We have had a .500 or better record 11 of 15 years
We have had a winning record 9 of 15 years
We have made the playoffs 6 of 15 tries
We have won 6 playoff games

All of this while having the greatest head coach and quarterback who ever lived in the same division.

Yeah, we don't get hats and rings for this but I could name 20 other NFL franchises that would kill for this resume, and statistically speaking if those teams weren't facing Belichick/Brady they'd have won a Championship or two.  Woody has done just fine here.

SAR I

In all fairness, Woody has been a very decent owner in terms of putting out a decent quality product during his tenure as the Jets owner.  

My issues is that you don't feel like he is building a champion.  He is very much afraid of the total rebuild or the tanked season that allows you to pick a QB in the top 3 picks.  He spends too much money and focus on short-term fixes to keep the team competitive without doing what it takes to make it championship level.

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

In all fairness, Woody has been a very decent owner in terms of putting out a decent quality product during his tenure as the Jets owner.  

My issues is that you don't feel like he is building a champion.  He is very much afraid of the total rebuild or the tanked season that allows you to pick a QB in the top 3 picks.  He spends too much money and focus on short-term fixes to keep the team competitive without doing what it takes to make it championship level.

Agree completely.

But, then again, you have good owners who are trying to do it the right way, slow and methodical, and then you wind up as the Jaguars or the Browns.  Or worse, you get an owner who finds his franchise quarterback and then does nothing else, and you wind up the Colts or the Chargers.

There is no right way to do this unfortunately.  Woody spends the money and brings in decent GM's, it's really all he can do, it's up to others after that.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Agree completely.

But, then again, you have good owners who are trying to do it the right way, slow and methodical, and then you wind up as the Jaguars or the Browns.  Or worse, you get an owner who finds his franchise quarterback and then does nothing else, and you wind up the Colts or the Chargers.

There is no right way to do this unfortunately.  Woody spends the money and brings in decent GM's, it's really all he can do, it's up to others after that.

SAR I

If I am Woody, I am telling MacC and Bowles that he wants them to build a Super Bowl caliber team, and that this is the last year that they try to just fill seats.  I would also tell them that they are basically stuck with one another and give them, barring complete Idzik-ian incompetence, 5 years to do that.  

Mac and Bowles are good experienced guys and will grow and learn on the job.   They need to push each other to be accountable and get better, but barring someone freeing up, they should treat it as a marriage-they need to really work at it until they prove its completely broke.  Rex Ryan and Idzik were completely broke.  Mangini was pulled too soon-Rex was lucky to step into a situation where the players were already better and the defense ran a similar scheme.

There should be no players in decline on the Jets' roster next year with fat contracts.  Apply the money to players that can be contributing and rising for the next 2-4 years.  

We can list out the potential 2017 players in another thread, but for 2016 I want to see a better coached team.  We are not replacing the QB in 2016.

Archived