At 2 and 2 the season looks a lot different

Maxman

59 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I'll say this - because I'm realistic.

If the Jets are under .500 after 8 games, this might be a good season to let Bryce Petty take over at QB so we can see what we really have in him - Geno Smith can sit there and hold the clipboard, we have already seen 2 seasons of his mediocre play.

If we are over .500 after 8 games, I'll be shocked quite honestly, particularly after the egg the Jets laid last week.

+1 on Starting Petty, although I'd wait till we're out of contention for the postseason.

-1 on Geno-as-Backup.  The second Petty is named starter, I cut Geno Smith, move Fitz to #2, and Hack to #3 and be done with it.  Better use of the available roster spots.

33 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

4.  Geno is resurrected.

Still holding on to the dream, eh?

Still think Geno will get his fair chance, with weapons, and will show everyone he is franchise QB material?

Well, that sure would be nice, wouldn't it?  Well, except for meaning we were already out of it in 2017 and the whole "we're not resigning Geno for next year" reality and all.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Still holding on to the dream, eh?

Still think Geno will get his fair chance, with weapons, and will show everyone he is franchise QB material?

At this pace and with Bowles' lack of functioning testicles, by the time Geno gets his shot, there may not be many weapons left.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

At this pace and with Bowles' lack of functioning testicles, by the time Geno gets his shot, there may not be many weapons left.

Psst:  He's not going to get a "shot" dude.  Let it go.  He may as well already be gone, for all the chance he seems to have of playing.

Fear not, like the other Geno Fans, you'll get to root him on at his next destination.

I think the "season" would look different at 2-2 if the Bills beat the Patriots

Bengals won and the Chiefs vs Steelers and Raiders vs Ravens games will not help the Jets playoff chances this week

My plan is to enjoy the games one Sunday at a time, this whole season thing is just to much of a commitment  (cue Jim Mora Sr.)

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Psst:  He's not going to get a "shot" dude.  Let it go.  He may as well already be gone, for all the chance he seems to have of playing.

Fear not, like the other Geno Fans, you'll get to root him on at his next destination.

Well hopefully that means we're 4-3 after the first 7 then.

In which case we all win and the playoffs are a legit possibility.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If we trade for Culter, Romo (ffs?) or Brees, abandon hope all ye who enter here.  Holy christ, really?

Brees doesn't belong in the same grouping as Cutler and Romo.  Heck, it's even unfair to Romo be be grouped with Cutter.  3 very different tiers of QB there.

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

If Geno does get a chance he will at least be able to utilize his arm strength with Anderson and Marshal, if he can throw it accurately down the field. I don't think the Fitz situation has much to do with Bowles than it does with Mac and Woody paying him 12 Million. Petty must of really did a number on his shoulder as he hasn't even practiced yet, which is concerning. 

4 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

If Geno does get a chance he will at least be able to utilize his arm strength with Anderson and Marshal, if he can throw it accurately down the field. I don't think the Fitz situation has much to do with Bowles than it does with Mac and Woody paying him 12 Million. Petty must of really did a number on his shoulder as he hasn't even practiced yet, which is concerning. 

I'd like to think this doesn't have much to do with Bowles, and place all the blame on Macc.  But after Bowles didn't switch back to Geno last season, I don't really think it's true.

Until proven otherwise, Bowles is coaching scared in my book.

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I'd like to think this doesn't have much to do with Bowles, and place all the blame on Macc.  But after Bowles not switching back to Geno last season, I don't really think it's true.

Until proven otherwise, Bowles is coaching scared in my book.

If Fitz comes out flat and starts throwing pics today and Bowles dosent bench him than I would have to agree, I don't think he coaches scared I just think he knows his players limitations. 

4 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

If Fitz comes out flat and starts throwing pics today and Bowles dosent bench him than I would have to agree, I don't think he coaches scared I just think he knows his players limitations. 

Taken even further, it could be Macc isn't to blame at all.  Maybe it was Bowles' decision to play Fitz all last season that basically forced Macc to re-sign Fitz this offseason.

Definitely tough to figure out where the blame should fall in this Fitz-debacle.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Re-signing Mo at a reasonable deal was the highlight of this season. Signing Fitzpatrick and gifting him the starting job doomed this, and likely next, season. For all the positives that Maccagnan seems to display, his handling of the QB position is alarming, to say the least. If your plan is to give Fitzpatrick $12 mil to serve as a bridge to Christian Hackenberg, the probability of that plan bearing fruit is so slim as to be nonsensical. And if he doubles down on this bet by passing on one of the QBs next year (assuming the team is drafting in that 12-16 area), then you're probably setting out on the path toward everyone getting fired. The unforeseen variables in all of this that could salvage them would be:

1. Hackenberg doesn't suck: hard to see how this works out, IMO.
  2. Bryce Petty becomes Blake Bortles-ish, at least.
  3. Theres a future, ill-advised trade for Romo or Brees.

Duh and the scary part is the next season part.  Just spinning wheels in Jet land but not going anywhere. 

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Find a way to beat Seattle. They have to just find a way to not turn the ball over and play a complete game on defense. The list of things Fitz has to do? Yeah that is long right now but just look like the QB that beat the Bills and forget last week.

Because at 2 and 2 things look a whole lot differently. Then it is the:

Steelers - Cardinals - Ravens 

It is a tough stretch no doubt, especially with the first two of those games on the road.

If they pull off a miracle and even start 4 and 3 then things will be a lot of fun:

Browns - Dolphins - Rams

That is the kind of stretch that lets you get hot in a hurry.  Yeah one game at a time. That is for the players.

I want 7 and 3 when they play the Patriots. Impossible? Probably. But what the hell all we can do is root for good things. But if they don't get to 2 and 2 on Sunday then it might start getting late, very early this season.

Max, Max, Max.....we have gone over this.  SAR said the season was over if we didn't start 2-0.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

2-2 and we kept interest.

1-3 and the season starts smelling like it's over before it began.

The latter is the option that those who begin every post with "but, Geno" or "the Fitz supporters" are drooling over... so, the silver lining would be that we get to see them parade around their insecurity, while cheering loss for the team they 'root' for, and grasp at straws that this is all about the QB.

Regardless that we suck in all 3 phases and the head coach doesn't seem to have an answer, our roster is starting to fill up with speculative adds that can't contribute right now, and the old players sure look... old.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Re-signing Mo at a reasonable deal was the highlight of this season. Signing Fitzpatrick and gifting him the starting job doomed this, and likely next, season. For all the positives that Maccagnan seems to display, his handling of the QB position is alarming, to say the least. If your plan is to give Fitzpatrick $12 mil to serve as a bridge to Christian Hackenberg, the probability of that plan bearing fruit is so slim as to be nonsensical. And if he doubles down on this bet by passing on one of the QBs next year (assuming the team is drafting in that 12-16 area), then you're probably setting out on the path toward everyone getting fired. The unforeseen variables in all of this that could salvage them would be:

I didn't have a problem bringing Fitzpatrick back because he keeps us marginally competitive and it's clear at this point that Woody would rather remain in a state of marginal competitiveness forever than ever undertake a big-boy rebuild. The rest of this is spot-on.

A little different at 2-2, but not much.  I still side with SAR I.  Jets are basically done.

The Jets have lost games to two AFC contenders already.  Cincinnati and Kansas City are clearly both in the playoff conversation.  They both play in a division with two other playoff contenders.  Denver, Oakland  (the weakest but still in play), Pittsburgh, and Baltimore.

The AFC losses put the Jets significantly behind the 8-ball in tiebreakers for the two wild card spots.  Which means 10-6 probably won't be good enough again. 

Does anyone think, seriously and not delusionally, that the Jets are consistent and strong enough to go 11-5 with their schedule?  Not me.

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

Find a way to beat Seattle. They have to just find a way to not turn the ball over and play a complete game on defense. The list of things Fitz has to do? Yeah that is long right now but just look like the QB that beat the Bills and forget last week.

Because at 2 and 2 things look a whole lot differently. Then it is the:

Steelers - Cardinals - Ravens 

It is a tough stretch no doubt, especially with the first two of those games on the road.

If they pull off a miracle and even start 4 and 3 then things will be a lot of fun:

Browns - Dolphins - Rams

That is the kind of stretch that lets you get hot in a hurry.  Yeah one game at a time. That is for the players.

I want 7 and 3 when they play the Patriots. Impossible? Probably. But what the hell all we can do is root for good things. But if they don't get to 2 and 2 on Sunday then it might start getting late, very early this season.

3-3 after Arizona is all we need to remain in this season. I see a win tomorrow followed by a loss in Pitt followed by a win on Monday night football. 

Being serious for just a moment. The Jets have not played well in their first 3 games. They played like this last year in the beginning of the year. This years schedule however is unforgiving so they better get their asses in line tomorrow and come out and punch the Seahawks in the face or it's gonna be a long season.

1 minute ago, BP said:

Being serious for just a moment. The Jets have not played well in their first 3 games. They played like this last year in the beginning of the year. This years schedule however is unforgiving so they better get their asses in line tomorrow and come out and punch the Seahawks in the face or it's gonna be a long season.

I think you are right, they are underperforming. I think Bowles laid into them last week. We will see how they respond. September usually doesn't matter, let's see if they can get hot down the stretch like last year. 

58 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

A little different at 2-2, but not much.  I still side with SAR I.  Jets are basically done.

The Jets have lost games to two AFC contenders already.  Cincinnati and Kansas City are clearly both in the playoff conversation.  They both play in a division with two other playoff contenders.  Denver, Oakland  (the weakest but still in play), Pittsburgh, and Baltimore.

The AFC losses put the Jets significantly behind the 8-ball in tiebreakers for the two wild card spots.  Which means 10-6 probably won't be good enough again. 

Does anyone think, seriously and not delusionally, that the Jets are consistent and strong enough to go 11-5 with their schedule?  Not me.

Hard but not impossible. After the Arizona game there is not a team down the stretch that is better then the jets with the exception of pats twice. If we split with pats who knows. 

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I suspect that Woody pressured MacC to sign Fitz so he could make the Jets relevant this year.   If they were building a team from scratch for the long-term, I don't think you make that move.

The Jets basically bought a secondary last year that appears to have collapsed this year.   That secondary was one of the reasons they went 10-6.  But for the Buffalo losses (one of which was the last game), the Jets would have made the playoffs last year, warts and all.

I fear that this year's Buffalo loss will actually be their first game-Cincinatti.  I don't think anyone expected that they would beat KC in KC.   But losing Cincinnati will be very painful if they miss out by one win. 

17 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

VarJet,

He signed Fitzpatrick to keep the fans happy and to avoid the Idzik treatment

That is exactly right.   In the case of the Jets this year, they perceived QB to be Idzik's CBs and WRs.  Idzik put on a team on the field that did not have NFL quality CBs or WRs.   They lost alot of games as a result, costing Idzik his job.  Passing on Martavious Bryant (pre-suspension) for Jalen Saunders (alll 160 pounds of him) did not help.

Archived