"Todd Bowles did not want Paxton Lynch"- Adam Schein on Sirius

Matt39

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, dbatesman said:

This certainly looks to be the case, which is the worst-case scenario: that Maccagnan not only thought drafting Hackenberg was a good idea, but that doing so was some clever little coup.

Yeah I believe the story but I don't think it means it's the reason Maccagnan passed on drafting him. The predraft leaks, followed by the overdrafting of Hackenberg in round 2, suggest Maccagnan was obsessed with the idea of drafting Hackenberg.  

I hope he's right in the end, but it sure looks bad so far. I mean good God he's 4th string on a team that has neither a reliable starter nor a reliable backup behind him. He couldn't come close to outplaying the 3rd string project QB who has never taken a regular season snap even to hand it off or kneel on the ball. 

He's the type of QB you can theoretically take a shot on if you have an aging starter, a meh backup to the starter (as most backups are), followed by an empty roster spot at #3.

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

While anyone who understands that the draft and its results are squarely on the GM, who's job depends on it. So why would he ever pass on a player he want to draft someone he doesn't want?  Especially when it's a QB.  Makes absolutely no sense.  It's not a DLman over a LB, it's a QB. 

Also anyone confirm this story?  Haven't heard it anywhere other than here.  Google has nothing.  Who would the source be?  Who would know that Macc wanted Lynch and Bowles said no to it?  Seems awful shady. 

I don't care if the story is bs or not.. I thought it was shady then that most scouts in the NFL said lynch was by far the better prospect than hackenberg. Except the jets.. And many thought jets reached considerably when they drafted hack.. I do agree it's not just the hc, Izdik was horrible at drafting.. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I don't care if the story is bs or not.. I thought it was shady then that most scouts in the NFL said lynch was by far the better prospect than hackenberg. Except the jets.. And many thought jets reached considerably when they drafted hack.. I do agree it's not just the hc, Izdik was horrible at drafting.. 

Well of you don't care the story is meaningless.  The point is Macc wanted him and Bowles talked him out of it.  Of the story is false and they both don't like Lynch it's all meangless. 

Being a better prospect takes into account a lot of things.  Lots of scouts didn't like Lynch too.  And it's not Lynch over Hack in the same spot, it's Lynch in the first round.  Lots of scouts didn't like him in the first.  Maybe Macc takes him in the 2nd. 

48 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this whole thing is just killing time until Jimmy Garoppolo hits the free agent market 

I would happily sign up for that but after his showcase, I don't think NE let's him walk.  I think they're going to keep him as the actual heir to the throne.  Really hate that they got him.  I loved Jimmy coming out of that draft.

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Well of you don't care the story is meaningless.  The point is Macc wanted him and Bowles talked him out of it.  Of the story is false and they both don't like Lynch it's all meangless. 

Being a better prospect takes into account a lot of things.  Lots of scouts didn't like Lynch too.  And it's not Lynch over Hack in the same spot, it's Lynch in the first round.  Lots of scouts didn't like him in the first.  Maybe Macc takes him in the 2nd. 

Lol sadly that may be the case. Why the jets will always be the jets.. If they actually preferred lynch, they should have taken him instead of a cover lb who is not going to be a big difference maker.. The broncos traded up for lynch.. You do whatever you can to get a franchise qb.. Most experts believe lynch has a much better chance at being that than hackenberg.. No way was lynch making it out of the 1st round.. Everyone knew that.. Most were surprised he was still on the board when the jets picked.. You don't get cute when you go after a franchise qb. Jets wanted to trade up for the top or #2 pick rumors were I guess for one of the top qbs.. Maybe we will get lucky with hackenberg..

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol sadly that may be the case. Why the jets will always be the jets.. If they actually preferred lynch, they should have taken him instead of a cover lb who is not going to be a big difference maker.. The broncos traded up for lynch.. You do whatever you can to get a franchise qb.. Most experts believe lynch has a much better chance at being that than hackenberg.. No way was lynch making it out of the 1st round.. Everyone knew that.. Most were surprised he was still on the board when the jets picked.. You don't get cute when you go after a franchise qb. Jets wanted to trade up for the top or #2 pick rumors were I guess for one of the top qbs.. Maybe we will get lucky with hackenberg..

Actually no.  Teams target players in rounds.  If they liked Lynch in the second, why would they pick him in the first.  No one,drafts that way.  Most experts thought Lynch would have to learn the pro game coming from a spread offense.  Most don't.  He's played an ok half of football, enough, we didn't pass on Marino

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually no.  Teams target players in rounds.  If they liked Lynch in the second, why would they pick him in the first.  No one,drafts that way.  Most experts thought Lynch would have to learn the pro game coming from a spread offense.  Most don't.  He's played an ok half of football, enough, we didn't pass on Marino

I am sorry but I will Elway word on QB's more then that Macc any day of the week.

if Elway traded up to get lynch I think he knows what he is doing

If true Bowles should be fired at season's end. You don't pass up big strong fast cannon armed QB prospects for LBs. I don't care how fast the lb is. This is why HCs, particularly a rookie hc, shouldn't call the shots. Bowles was thinking of "his unit" and what HE could do with him, but not the team as a whole both long and short term. 

Come on, you don't believe that, you cant.

Bowles isn't an idiot, he's not choosing a LBer over a guy that he believes can be his franchise QB.....it's obvious he didn't think Lynch was a franchise QB (if the report is credible) because if he did he'd of drafted him. Bowles understands a franchise QB is more important than a fckin LBer, just like every other coach in the NFL.....they're at the top 1% of their profession for God sakes lol, to think otherwise is insane.

Now whether Bowles is correct or not about Lynch being a franchise QB is another story (again, if the report is true), projecting who will and won't be is anyone's guess.......BUT it's clearly obvious if he thought Lynch was a franchise player he would of taken him over Lee, that goes without saying.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

NE won't let Garrop go.  They have him at least two more years with the option and a franchise tag.

If they like someone else on their roster u can expect a trade at the very minimum.  They'd want at least what Bradford (an older player with question marks) netted from Minnesota.

a team like the browns would probably pay double that...

NE is too smart for that though, they'll resign him.

1 hour ago, fusionCA said:

I am sorry but I will Elway word on QB's more then that Macc any day of the week.

if Elway traded up to get lynch I think he knows what he is doing

I'm sorry because Elway signed Manning? 

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm sorry because Elway signed Manning? 

how is that QB he choose in the 7th round working out? looks much better then any QB the Jets have.

Elway has been the best GM in the league the past few years , he built one of the best defensive units ever.

look at the defense Elway has built , great draft picks , players who can run tackle and crate turnovers

the cherry on top? he got a draft pick for Tebow ...and got it from us.

16 hours ago, peebag said:

Adam Schein.

ADAM_SCHEIN.jpg

That's all you need to know about this report.

He looks the way he was born to look.  However, I do not understand why he talks SO LOUD!  You better be making sense if you are going to talk taht loud.

Assuming all of this is true:

1. Bowles' opinion on Lynch matched that of many scouting professionals and almost every team in the league;

2. He had the idea that with the amount of money spent into the defense already it would make a lot of sense to close up the hole in the middle with a cover LB this year and let Macc shore up the offense in coming years; because

3. Bowles made it really clear he loved Fitz and wanted him back; and

4. We were already sitting on Petty plus had a number of other options in the second round and back.

Bowles may have been wrong here but if he was he sits in the company of thirty other front offices who passed on Lynch, many of whom needed a starter or backup. If Lynch is a supposed all-star QB in the making then all those other teams are just as stupid as us to have passed. 

It's premature AF to crown Lynch as Manning's successor after one game. Andrew Luck was supposed to be the next Manning but look at how that is turning out.

12 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Bill Parcells said of prospects that they are guys who haven't proven anything yet. Paxton was not taken because the Jets didn't like the offense he was in and didn't like his cocky(sometimes childish) attitude. He may grow up in Denver and may not. Hackenberg seems to have it all, but needs polish. I still believe that Petty is better and will be the Jets QB next year. Unless we trade for Glennon (which some here seem to favor thought I think he stinks).

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

No, at this point and time neither are. Why do you ask stupid questions that you know the answer to?

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

Think about that.

The answer is obvious. The guy is a miserable POS, whose family probably can't stand the sight or sound of him, so his only joy in life is to go on a Jets message board and try to annoy others endlessly. People who are mentally stable and secure with themselves simply don't behave in the manner in which this worthless individual does. It's kind of sad.

13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

What it would mean, which I read this thread and didn't see anyone mention, is that IF Denver proves right about Lynch, than neither Bowles nor Macc made the right decision about Lynch.  That is not meaningless.

On your second paragraph I don't know about scouts not liking Lynch.  Presumably Denver's scouts liked him.  The bigger picture here is that only a few teams entered the off season and draft without a set starter medium term at Qb.  Denver clearly was one of those teams, but so were the Jets, even if they eventually signed Fitzpatrick.  The Jets passed on Lynch to take Lee, and we all seem to assume the Jets intended to pick Hackenberg in the next round, presuming he would still be there.  Denver traded up to get Lynch.  Who was right?

It can't be that everyone poo pooing the concern that the Jets dropped the ball there saw Lynch play on Sunday.  I did.  He looked very impressive.  He came off the bench presumably not having played in practice with the first team at least as far back as the pre-season, and even then how much did he do?  Sure he was not playing against the best pass D in the league, but he was sharp and did not make any notable mistakes.  He had poise, and got it done.

OF COURSE this does not mean he's guaranteed to succeed.  But as of right now he looks to be the far better prospect to do so than Hackenberg.

If Bowles was merely one of others on the Jets who did not want Lynch, that does not make me feel good.  It makes me feel worse to think these guys were so in love with Hackenberg, and failed to see what Denver at least thinks/thought they saw in him. 

Says here if Lynch turns out to be at least as good as his draft status, that will go down as a big mistake for the current regime.  Maybe some of that will not sting so much if Petty works out.  Maybe as looks unlikely it wont if Hack does.  But right now, it looks bad.

Archived