Petty "close" to returning, per Bowles

AFJF

47 minutes ago, Ben Had said:

With all these rookie QB's playing this year don't you think if Petty was on the same level he would already be in there?  

This. Sometimes you have to realize that young guys need to play... like when veterans throw 9 int  in 2 weeks.

Petty, even Geno, can't be this bad. This is not the Fitz of the past 2 years.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys you know what is so typical Jets, we don't play Geno this year and keep him on the bench. At the end of the season he walks and all the fans who hate him celebrate.
He then signs with another team who assures him a fair shot at the starters role. He then goes into the offseason program and TC and wins the job.
Then over the next 10 years he becomes a solid starter beating the Jets every time he plays us.
Folks this is our history and our luck. Every wonder how the Falcons fans who hated Farve and we're happy to trade him to Green Bay felt, hope we don't find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

The good ol "you have no idea" reply when you have no logical reply. I'll talk about contracts with you all day long, CRAZYCarl. Care to dispute any of my points? 

What are your points? Just look up the contracts. Then come back and explain how you were wrong about the cap numbers. Good luck.

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

I call this bullsh*t, sort of like the one Fitz has been laying the last couple of wks. Fitz isn't coming back next year either. And if Geno's relationship with players was so damaged as you claim, he would've been released long time ago. Made no sense keeping him and not playing him when needed.

I never said Geno had a damaged relationship with players. I said the team. Meaning the coaching staff and management who obviously do not regard him as a viable alternative. Nothing they did last year or this year shows they have confidence in the guy. "Well at least they didn't cut him!" That's your retort? The #3 guy is hurt and the #4 guy isn't playing in 2016. Or would have been irresponsible to cut him. He's gone next year anyway. Can't we just move on from a player that is of no consequence to the Jets in 2016 or moving forward?

33 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Guys you know what is so typical Jets, we don't play Geno this year and keep him on the bench. At the end of the season he walks and all the fans who hate him celebrate.
He then signs with another team who assures him a fair shot at the starters role. He then goes into the offseason program and TC and wins the job.
Then over the next 10 years he becomes a solid starter beating the Jets every time he plays us.
Folks this is our history and our luck. Every wonder how the Falcons fans who hated Farve and we're happy to trade him to Green Bay felt, hope we don't find out.

Hahahhahaha .... You said "Geno wins the starting job"! 

Tooooo f*cking funny!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

What you're describing is an easy schedule for Ryan Fitzpatrick to navigate, not much different than the 5-1 run he took us on in November and December last year.

Translation:  At the very moment we are out of playoff contention and one would think it would be time to see Petty play it's also the time we are teed up for a 5-1 Fitzpatrick run against the scrubs we face in November thru mid-December.

SAR I

Which is why I'm seriously concerned about them sticking with Fitz so he finishes with a more respectable record (ok, the team finishes with a more respectable record in games started by Fitz). This will do two things for Bowles/Mac.

1: it provides some cover for them as to the wisdom of the Fitz re-signing in the first place. The obvious criticism will be lessened, and they'll finish stronger to boot. Useless in terms of the team's ultimate goal, but it makes both of them look less dumb in the eyes of the fans and the press that influences the fans and owner.

2: both coaches and GMs are in the end judged by their win/loss records. Failing to make the playoffs with a 5-11 record isn't really less useful than doing the same with an 8-8 record, and one could argue the team is better off just from the higher draft picks alone (in terms of value, this is the equivalent of extra draft picks outright). Except when it's time to consider extending, not extending, or outright firing either of them in the future, they will be far better served with an 8-8 season 2 instead of a 5-11 season 2. Entering year 3 they'd be 18-14 instead of 15-17.

3: it would make their 2015 season look less fraud-like in the eyes of many. Drop to 5-6 wins, and there are a lot more people open to the idea of a 10-win season chiefly being facilitated by a joke of a schedule where in hindsight they matched up against 13-14 easy opponents.

So I think there's reason to be concerned Bowles doesn't bench Fitz and gives him a chance to redeem himself. Or equally as bad (in terms of getting a look at Maccagnan's drafted QBs), that they'd go to the next QB in the pecking order instead of Petty. Why would they do this? Well Bowles could feel Geno gives them a better chance to win (not that it should matter anyway after they're out of contention, but see #s 2 and 3 above). Also just like rationalizing the Fitz re-signing, it could equally rationalize keeping Geno, which in turn led to getting Petty hurt in PS game 4.

Basically, even though it seems a no-brainer to us in front of our keyboards, there's a pretty good chance we don't see Petty until the last 2-3 games of the season (if we see him at all) and still fail to make the playoffs. 

14 hours ago, King P said:

I'm cool with Petty starting.

If for no other reason because I need to know if Maccagnan made the right choice picking Petty over Hundley. I was pounding the table for Brett Hundley and was pissed when Mac took Petty.

If Petty bombs I'm probably gonna bitch and moan some more

I wasn't the only one!  I'm a Hundley fan too, he looks to be shaping up pretty well on Green Bay from the very limited action I got to see him in until he got injured.  Here's to hoping Petty works out though (as a starter or good backup)

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Which is why I'm seriously concerned about them sticking with Fitz so he finishes with a more respectable record (ok, the team finishes with a more respectable record in games started by Fitz). This will do two things for Bowles/Mac.

1: it provides some cover for them as to the wisdom of the Fitz re-signing in the first place. The obvious criticism will be lessened, and they'll finish stronger to boot. Useless in terms of the team's ultimate goal, but it makes both of them look less dumb in the eyes of the fans and the press that influences the fans and owner.

2: both coaches and GMs are in the end judged by their win/loss records. Failing to make the playoffs with a 5-11 record isn't really less useful than doing the same with an 8-8 record, and one could argue the team is better off just from the higher draft picks alone (in terms of value, this is the equivalent of extra draft picks outright). Except when it's time to consider extending, not extending, or outright firing either of them in the future, they will be far better served with an 8-8 season 2 instead of a 5-11 season 2. Entering year 3 they'd be 18-14 instead of 15-17.

3: it would make their 2015 season look less fraud-like in the eyes of many. Drop to 5-6 wins, and there are a lot more people open to the idea of a 10-win season chiefly being facilitated by a joke of a schedule where in hindsight they matched up against 13-14 easy opponents.

So I think there's reason to be concerned Bowles doesn't bench Fitz and gives him a chance to redeem himself. Or equally as bad (in terms of getting a look at Maccagnan's drafted QBs), that they'd go to the next QB in the pecking order instead of Petty. Why would they do this? Well Bowles could feel Geno gives them a better chance to win (not that it should matter anyway after they're out of contention, but see #s 2 and 3 above. Also just like rationalizing the Fitz re-signing, it could equally rationalize keeping Geno, which in turn led to getting Petty hurt in PS game 4.

Basically, even though it seems a no-brainer to us in front of our keyboards, there's a pretty good chance we don't see Petty until the last 2-3 games of the season (if we see him at all) and still fail to make the playoffs. 

I'd put much more faith in a staff that could acknowledge they made a mistake and move forward than try and pound a square rod in a small round hole for the sake of trying to justify it.  But that is just me.  

Perhaps you said that, and what you were implying.  Far too many words.  B)

6 minutes ago, hawk said:

I'd put much more faith in a staff that could acknowledge they made a mistake and move forward than try and pound a square rod in a small round hole for the sake of trying to justify it.  But that is just me.  

Perhaps you said that, and what you were implying.  Far too many words.  B)

It's what I do. I like to hear myself talk.

And yes I agree with you. Thing is, until I see this big change in direction I do not have this faith in either of them. 

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What are your points? Just look up the contracts. Then come back and explain how you were wrong about the cap numbers. Good luck.

Not wrong on ANY point, so I don't really know what to look for you know?

I never said Geno had a damaged relationship with players. I said the team. Meaning the coaching staff and management who obviously do not regard him as a viable alternative. Nothing they did last year or this year shows they have confidence in the guy. "Well at least they didn't cut him!" That's your retort?

Your argument is dumb as a doorknob. If the CS and FO didn't like him, why is he on the team? Why, CRAZYCarl?

The #3 guy is hurt and the #4 guy isn't playing in 2016. Or would have been irresponsible to cut him.

They hated him so much that they decided to keep for until at least the final cuts. Yeah, makes perfect sense to the senseless.

He's gone next year anyway. Can't we just move on from a player that is of no consequence to the Jets in 2016 or moving forward?

That's your opinion, albeit a baseless one. 

6 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

cryptically that's bowles' way of saying why they're doing what they're doing and why fitz isn't being benched.  i believe they have a plan, but unfortunately part of that plan is going with fitz no matter what happens the first 8 games, then assessing when to start petty.

I agree 100%

The key is also you wouldn't have unveiled Petty during this tough streak anyway.  They are not going to ruin him before he has a real chance to perform...

6 hours ago, j4jets said:

Why not Geno? We're getting blown away next wk anyways. Bowles knows it. I don't see the benefit of starting Fitz at all. I'm ok with giving him a "short leash" for a few drives, unlike this last wk. 

Geno was here in case of an early season injury or if the Jets had a magical run and Fitz then got hurt. You don't want a rookie QB in those situations.  In the case where the team is mediocre and Geno isn't coming back next year you put Petty out there to see what he can do.

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Geno was here in case of an early season injury or if the Jets had a magical run and Fitz then got hurt. You don't want a rookie QB in those situations.  In the case where the team is mediocre and Geno isn't coming back next year you put Petty out there to see what he can do.

Yes, but we're hitting a trap and I don't like it.

We'll open 1-5 and then we have a run where Fitz can get us on a 5-1 streak before we end ice cold again.  So the fear is that at the very moment we should give up on the season and turn to Petty we will instead stick with Fitz to get those 4 or 5 wins so that the season isn't an utter disgrace and Bowles can keep his job.  We're probably looking at Fitzpatrick for the duration if you look at the schedule.

SAR I

21 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We'll open 1-5 and then we have a run where Fitz can get us on a 5-1 streak before we end ice cold again.  So the fear is that at the very moment we should give up on the season and turn to Petty we will instead stick with Fitz to get those 4 or 5 wins so that the season isn't an utter disgrace and Bowles can keep his job.  We're probably looking at Fitzpatrick for the duration if you look at the schedule.

SAR I

If the Jets are dumb enough to fall for that foolishness then the next Jets administration can learn from their mistake.  

3 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

If the Jets are dumb enough to fall for that foolishness then the next Jets administration can learn from their mistake.  

"If the Jets are dumb enough"?  

They fell for it last year.  Whoever made the decision to re-sign Fitz is already a complete fool.

Hoyer 2mil

Fitz 12mil

Smh, someone needs to get fired (in addition to Fitz).

6 hours ago, j4jets said:

Not wrong on ANY point, so I don't really know what to look for you know?

Your argument is dumb as a doorknob. If the CS and FO didn't like him, why is he on the team? Why, CRAZYCarl?

They hated him so much that they decided to keep for until at least the final cuts. Yeah, makes perfect sense to the senseless.

That's your opinion, albeit a baseless one. 

Go here: http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/

Fitz costs 7 million against the cap for the Jets in 2016. Also, Skrine is over 5 million this year and 8.5 million the next two (they were all over 7 until they pushed 2 million ahead to fit Fitz in). 

The rest of your questions have been asked and answered. I'm sorry you either can't comprehend it or aren't willing to, but Geno has no future here or else they wouldn't have brought back Fitz and extended Geno instead. 

Hahahhahaha .... You said "Geno wins the starting job"! 
Tooooo f*cking funny!!!!!!!!!!!!

I save that post and serve it to you if it happens. Yet, this is the Jets history I have seen over the last 50 years. Never lucky enough to stumble over a Brady or Farve. Never lucky enough to keep Belicheat or Parcells and on and on.

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

My opinion is we need to go quarterback hunting in the draft, keep drafting them, always have one guy who is in Year 2 when we draft a rookie in Year 1.  When you find one that looks awesome you're good.  When you don't, you keep hunting in the draft, take one each year.

SAR I

What do you reckon are the chances that we carry 4 QBs again next year? Let's assume that Petty gets some playing time this year, be it 8 games or 2-3 at the very end. At year end he at least has some playing time under his belt, which is good, and would give him a platform to at least compete for the starting job in 2017.

Still under contract we have Hack, who likely would not be in the mix for the starter's job so soon, but could potentially be fighting for the #2 or #3 depending on progress. Fitzy is still under contract; but if he ended up getting benched I can't see how we'd hang onto him. Geno is out of contract and will most likely be gone.

So if you go with all these hypotheticals, we have two guys - one a potential starter / backup, one a backup best case, likely a #3 for another year.

If we take another guy high in the draft, we'd likely still bring in a "bridge" guy (shudder) to at least provide some safe, veteran hands in camp. We could end up with a high risk / hopefully high reward situation, that could have us starting a top rookie prospect and having a backup (Petty) with some game experience, plus a developmental guy with upside (Hack). My worry would be we'd end up keeping the "bridge" guy as starter / vet backup, meaning we either have to cut Petty or Hack - or carry 4 guys again.

At what point do you end up with too many prospects and move on?

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I think you're right.

Geno fans likely should have given up hope a long time ago.  Outside injury, he'll never see the field.

But Petty Fans are likely in the same boat.  Bowles is coaching for now.  Not for 2017.   Players are playing for now.  Not 2017.  Only Mcc should be thinking short and long term, but who plays QB isn't his call.

We fans may not like it, but until we're fully out of the playoff picture, mathematically, I don't see Fitz getting benched.  Well, a few more 6 INT games might do it tho.

2016 is looking more and more like a lost, wasted year.

if the Jets go 1 and 5 and Petty is healthy lets see how he can do - Fitz was a short term deal no long term comittment that is how we had to start this season but if it all comes down we have to see in life action what we have in petty.

14 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

cryptically that's bowles' way of saying why they're doing what they're doing and why fitz isn't being benched.  i believe they have a plan, but unfortunately part of that plan is going with fitz no matter what happens the first 8 games, then assessing when to start petty.

This Petty " injury" is highly suspect. All he did was fall to the ground with someone on top of him.  He looks like a very durable guy, and didn't even hit his shoulder hard. And now that Fitz is spectacularly flaming out, Petty is suddenly "close" to returning. That would be one way of explaining their actions right now 

9 minutes ago, Xtina said:

This Petty " injury" is highly suspect. All he did was fall to the ground with someone on top of him.  He looks like a very durable guy, and didn't even hit his shoulder hard. That would be one way of explaining their actions right now 

Yep.  If Petty wasn't going to be available until around this time in the season, he should have been placed on the "designated to return" IR list before the season started.  That would have allowed him to return to practice in 6 weeks, be activated in 8 weeks, and give us an extra roster spot until that time. 

Since they did NOT do that, I can only assume you're right; it's a suspect injury to give Bowles an excuse for not putting him out there (in addition to the excuse that Geno, not Petty, is currently the # 2 on the depth chart, which would likely be the case even with Petty healthy). 

7 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Uh yeah, keep believing that bs. Playing Fitz doesn't make any sense right now either cuz he's not coming back to the NFL, let alone the Jets. 

Go here: http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/

Fitz costs 7 million against the cap for the Jets in 2016.

Reading comprehension, CRAZYCarl. Fitz is guaranteed 12mil to play in 2016. Remember when I said I don't care how they spread out the cash? 

Also, Skrine is over 5 million this year and 8.5 million the next two (they were all over 7 until they pushed 2 million ahead to fit Fitz in). 

So are you saying Skrine IS making $5mil this year? That's what I thought and said. You said he's making "almost $8mil". He's not. 

Speaking of Geno not having a future here, neither does Fitz. But Fitznutz are the ones in a denial thinking Jets FO wants to start the leagues worst QB cuz he's mean n makes faces at them and they don't like him. It has way more to do with the FO forcing Fitz to succeed so they can save their faces  its backfiring so far and they can only take this dumb act so far. A heavy loss against the Steelers, whom Ben treated like a teenage girl in a public bathroom n Fitz handed out ints on a platter, should put an end to Fitz' misery. 

image.jpeg

5 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

It's called 12 million.

Exactly. Fitz isn't starting cuz the FO hates Geno. He's starting cuz the FO want to save their faces from a massive public humiliation. And like I said, this act can only go so far. Read the last paragraph above. 

7 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Exactly. Fitz isn't starting cuz the FO hates Geno. He's starting cuz the FO want to save their faces from a massive public humiliation. And like I said, this act can only go so far. Read the last paragraph above. 

What is more "humiliating":

1. Playing the guy who you resigned (12 mil) and going 1-6 then benching him on the way to a 4 win season.

2. Realizing your mistake early, acknowledging Fitz isn't the 2015 Fitz, and benching him now for the obviously better and more talented (right?) Geno Smith in time to save the season with his superior play.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What is more "humiliating":

1. Playing the guy who you resigned (12 mil) and going 1-6 then benching him on the way to a 4 win season.

2. Realizing your mistake early, acknowledging Fitz isn't the 2015 Fitz, and benching him now for the obviously better and more talented (right?) Geno Smith in time to save the season with his superior play.

You make a move in hopes to spark the lousy offense. Can't do any worse than Fitz. Stop defending Mr. Nice "but sh*t" Guy. 

2 minutes ago, j4jets said:

You make a move in hopes to spark the lousy offense. Can't do any worse than Fitz. Stop defending Mr. Nice "but sh*t" Guy. 

What are you talking about?  I asked a question, which option is more humiliating, based on what YOU wrote.  The fact you can't answer it is obvious, because it's clearly less humiliating to make a switch and win than stick with the higher paid guy and lose.

Which makes you wonder why the team isn't rushing to do as you'd suggest.

And let's be clear:

I've said clearly that Fitz is playing horribly this year.  I believe the phrase I used was something like "wet puppy sh*t".

Far more honesty about "my" guy that you Geno blowjob queens EVER used about "your" guy, so save it mate, seriously.  At least "my" guy is nice and likeable.  You're guy sucks dick and is an immature little ****stick.

Archived