Why aren't you watching the NFL?

T0mShane

Why aren't you watching the NFL?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Why aren't you watching the NFL?

• My team sucks, so I don't care anymore.
    • Kaepernick stuff.
    • Parity has made every game a war of attrition
    • Flags for targeting, roughing, taunting, celebrations make the game corporate and boring
    • The overall level of play isn't as good.
    • All of the above
    • Other (please specify)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oversaturation. Too many games on odd nights make none of the night games special and makes Sunday less compelling.

Commercials.  Way too many.  And that repetitive CBS music at every break is grating. 

Star Power.  I love my team but no other team or player compels me to watch other contests. 

Defensive Strategies.  Most games are boring rope a dope affairs where clock-killing and running suck the life out of the passing game.

SAR I

I'm 20 and when I was younger 

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

I watch the jets and jets only. Never watch another game maybe the super bowl but that's it. Not gambling is part of the reason

but the catering to fantasy football

the over saturation of football between the added Thursday night game and excessive coverage and talk shows, the sh*tty announcers slobbering over any player having a good game  no objectivity 

the diva players

the bad human beings that are players 

the bullsh*t penalties 

the politics

the NFL has become the NBA after every passing play that isn't complete the WR is looking for a flag

just a sh*t product and it's been this way for a while 

if if I didn't love the jets I'd probably never watch another game again

Im 20 and everything you just said and a few others are all the points of why I dont watch football other than the Jets. The CTE thing to me is also another reason why others aren't watching but I wont watch anything else. Maybe the super bowl because i bet on it. Can't say the jets have played in it for the past 10 years of watching... I wouldnt even watch that either if i didnt bet or went to a party for it. I used to when I was younger but not anymore even for a millenial like me. I have got tired of it. 

6 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Also the new CBA had made this product sh*t.

I find it hard to believe any grown men posting on a message board about football, are not actually watching football.

Thay being said, I think college football and professional football are increasingly becoming two different sports, thus the NFL having a player development issue.

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

I was seeing if anyone beat me to it.  Mark Cuban nailed the #1 reason. Over saturation.  The NFL owned a day of the week.  Now they want three.  Too much. 

That and the current rules mean if your team doesn't have an elite QB or an elite defense, they have zero chance. Most teams are hopeless and the fans know it.  That gets old fast.

13 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

I find it hard to believe any grown men posting on a message board about football, are not actually watching football.

Thay being said, I think college football and professional football are increasingly becoming two different sports, thus the NFL having a player development issue.

I used to watch every game Thursday, Saturday, Monday, and Sunday night, and have a seperate TV for red zone during Sunday 1-7:45.  Now I just watch the red zone for the most part to see what my DFS players are doing, will go back to watching the Jets religiously when Fitztragic finally gets benched.

So yes I am no longer watching those night games any more so I am not watching football anymore like I used to for multiple reasons.

I still watch even when the Jets suck. That said...

It's not the football I grew up watching in the 80s and 90s. It's watered down and the amount of ticky tack penalties makes me think the refs are incompetent or on the take in some form or another.

The social PC crap, wearing a pink or camo wristband while you don't actually donate much $ is total horsesh*t. But have no fear, on Tuesday ESPN is sitting down with Obama to discuss race and sports. Should be a blast. 

This board isn't supposed to be political but I am going to in order to answer the question.   I'm sick of when I watch a prime time game they zoom in on the players kneeling.   I'm tired of rants about politics and peoples views.  Football is to be an escape from reality.   Not a continuation of it.  

Also this year two debates conflict with football.  First time was Falcons Saints.   Tomorrow night Packers Giants might be a little different.  

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

I still watch even when the Jets suck. That said...

It's not the football I grew up watching in the 80s and 90s. It's watered down and the amount of ticky tack penalties makes me think the refs are incompetent or on the take in some form or another.

The social PC crap, wearing a pink or camo wristband while you don't actually donate much $ is total horsesh*t. But have no fear, on Tuesday ESPN is sitting down with Obama to discuss race and sports. Should be a blast. 

2 worst penalties in NFL football. Unsportsmanlike conduct and "taunting". Never understood why we need to block players from celebrating TDs. Like let them have fun its part of the game. 

For the same reason I stopped watching the WWF, its all BS. Bullsh*t calls, the rules are left off to the refs to decide even with replay. So many fkn commercials and so boring. 

Plus there are so many other cool things to do on a Sunday unless you live in a place like Cleveland, Boston, Green Bay, Minnesota, Jax, Tampa Bay, sh*tsburg, Atlanta, Buffalo, Philly, Carolina, Arizona, Dallas, Houston, Detroit, Cincy, or Kansas City. Those people probably still watching some NFL, they aint got nothing else to do.  

1 hour ago, CaliforniaJet said:

For the same reason I stopped watching the WWF, its all BS. Bullsh*t calls, the rules are left off to the refs to decide even with replay. So many fkn commercials and so boring. 

Plus there are so many other cool things to do on a Sunday unless you live in a place like Cleveland, Boston, Green Bay, Minnesota, Jax, Tampa Bay, sh*tsburg, Atlanta, Buffalo, Philly, Carolina, Arizona, Dallas, Houston, Detroit, Cincy, or Kansas City. Those people probably still watching some NFL, they aint got nothing else to do.  

1 hour ago, CaliforniaJet said:

The southern cities you mention have plenty to do on Sundays.

9 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Crazy but I watch the jets and the jets only haven't watched a game that hasn't involved the jets with the exception of the super bowl and that only background fodder in as long as I can remember, don't even watch any of the pregame or highlight shows. If I miss the jet game I catch up with sny and I'm done. But I do read about it here a lot but I think more of that has to do with killing dead time in the palm of your hand 

I'm a Football junky.  If it's on, I'm watching but I've been saying it for years, the NFL is a sh*t product that is shoved down everyone's throat.

Over saturation, QB driven league eliminates 85% of the league so I argue there is no parity, penalties, rules changing, allowed cheating scandals, favoritism, sloppy play, slow play, too many commercials (it takes 3 hours to watch a 12 minute game), over analyzing everything, Odell Beckham Jr. 

Saturdays are better.  

I dont think my viewing is down, but the game itself is a poor product right now. The lack of pratices allowed in the summer has really killed the game. Since nobody plays in the preseason it takes teams a good 4 games now to really get their feet under them. Its just too long. The over-officiating has killed the flow of the games as well.  The defensive holds and DPI is off the charts. I think the lack of talent on offensive lines and refusal to use a run game has hurt teams inside the red zone. Its much harder to run these offenses inside 10 yards going shotgun and 5 wide and we see settling for field goals after rifling down the field. 

I think the NFL also suffers from lack of the star QB right now. The NFL is generally at its most popular when you have QBs that dominate and you market around them.  Right now were more in that 90s era when the 80s stars like Marino, Montana, Elway, etc...walked off into the sunset and what we had was Young and Aikman (Young being on the older side and Aikman not long for the NFL) and Favre as really the only younger guy. You then had a nice run  of players starting with Manning and Brady and probably ending with Rodgers in the 2005 draft. Its that group that really carried the NFL for a decade and helped it grow.

The NFL has failed to hit like that since then. They certainly have not gotten a 2004 draft class. Andrew Luck has yet to develop into a real elite player and likely wont. Matt Ryan is a nice player but has had a ton of ups and downs. Russell Wilson needs to have a big number season to take the next step. Flaccos just a guy. Stafford puts up some numbers but never wins. Bradford wins at the game of contracts. Cam has talent, but hes not a great passer and his style may not make him long for the NFL. Maybe Derek Carr will get there. Maybe Winston will get there. Naybe Wentz or Prescott will be the guy. But the league needs an influx of talent at the QB position not a league full of Ryan Tannehill types.

4 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Also forgot. The ******* celebrating after each catch or any tackle or any pass play defended. Cmon.....you wanna celebrate a big sack, great play, a long td fine but a ****in dance or posture after every play is a ****in ridiculous 

Hardly anyone would dance after each play man... lol I know they got big egos but thats a lil much 

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is a good point. The Thursday game has been an abortion since it started. Neither team ever looks ready to play. Can throw the England games in there, too. Awful football.

I think Red Zone is a big culprit on this too because I have a hard time watching MNF even without the Thursday effect.

I had a great nap and I'm more interested in tonight's debate thingy than I am into watching this horrible-Sunday-afternoon-ruining excuse of an NFL football team. I just don't need to let myself be made miserable. My son came in laughing saying Bowles is horrible it's the first time since 2006 that a coach punted down by that many points. I once again apologized to my family for infecting the house with the Jets. 

On October 8, 2016 at 1:21 PM, T0mShane said:

Ratings are down significantly and the NFL's internal memo leak displayed that they're confounded as to why. So, assuming you're watching less football, why? 

I was one of those football fanatics until around....3-5 years ago, maybe.

1) The beginning: it was the flags. It seemed as if even watching two teams I don't even root for was no longer enjoyable. Almost 80% of the outcome felt like it was in more control of the refs than the teams, objectively speaking. 

2) The continuation: of more flags with the added new PF rules. Combine that with not knowing what a catch or a PI is anymore. 

....At this point I stop watching most games entirely but hold onto watching Jets games. ESPN is a distant memory.

3) The possible end.  Combine all of this with the shameless, money-grabbing marketing ploys and the majority of players a.) not giving a **** except getting their payday and b.) choosing what I consider the wrong platform to make a political statement combined with c.) the disgrace of a franchise that is Woody Johnson and the New York Jets...

Archived