The Foundation Is Broken

Mecca

Football is unlike any other sport, in that it's a chess match where essentially 3 positions act as kings whom control the success of the franchise. These 3 kings are the:

1. General Manager

2. Head Coach

3. Quarterback

- If the franchise is in sync with all 3 units, you normally have a successful franchise. One that can make up for other leaky positions across the roster. Look at the trio in New England or Seattle for example. Both organizations have clear holes in other units, but make up for it with a STRONG foundation. 

- Right now the New York Jets are a very solid football team, with a WEAK foundation. It doesn't matter how beautiful the bathrooms are, when the house is a thunderstorm away from crashing. Elite defensive lineman and a veteran Wide Receiver corps WON'T make up for the fact our coaching and QB play is bottom 5 in the league. 

- I lost all hope in Bowles when we went into Buffalo week 17 and looked flat as soda left in the sun overnight whereas Rex had his dogs playing like it was the Super Bowl. Matter of fact, I began to lose hope when Bill O'Brien's Texans beat us playing chess against checkers with his 3rd string Quarterback. Todd Bowles schemes vanilla game plans and can't outwit a coach when his teams talent can't match up.

- Bowles' lack of adjustments and accountability in his players is apparent. For starters, we've repeatedly been torched on splash plays all season long, when the coaches 'forte' becomes our weakest link, we know we have an issue. Calvin Pryor was supposed to flourish in a Todd Bowles system, but instead Bowles has attempted to fit a circle into a square peg, when Pryor is more Deion Buchannon than Tyrann Mathieu. 

- The play calling is too conservative. We lack trickery or the ability to fool the opposing head coach, and quite frankly, Todd Bowles does NOT put his fingerprints on the game whereas opposing coaches beat us with strategy. Todd doesn't play chess with an opposing coach. He lets the players play, and that's exactly the reason why we can't beat a well coached or more talented team. 

- Now onto Fitz. I preached all off-season one statistic that Westhoff had spoke on in the early part of the summer. When calculating the Jets 16 opponents in the 2015 season, the Jets faced the softest schedule in terms of secondary rating, opposing passing yards, and dropped interceptions. Then why the f*** does the Jets organization treat Ryan Fitzpatrick like he's Tom Brady all off-season? I understand a willingness to sign a player that helped you win 10 games, but once his demands became senile, we should have moved onto plan B, drafted a more PRO READY QB, and made plans to upgrade other weak areas of the roster. 

- Now lets flashback to what Fitzpatrick was the past decade, and remember that feeling Jets fans had when we went up against Fitzpatrick. I remember vividly saying to myself how Rex was going to eat Fitz for breakfast, (which he routinely did) 

- Fitzpatrick is SIMPLE to gameplan against. His lack of deep ball accuracy, arm strength, and decision making skills along with a slow release shows why he was a 7th round pick. You play press man coverage and stack the box and make Fitz beat you deep, which we won't. You make your Safeties play Centerfield waiting for his highpops. There is a reason why John Elway didn't look into Fitz' direction for even a meeting. 

- But what really upsets me... We're wasting the end of Marshall, Mangold, Clady, Revis, Forte, and Harris' prime on a wasted season because the organization was gullible enough to look at a record without analyzing the tape and his opponents.

Fitzpatrick lucked into a healthy offensive line, healthy Wide Receiving Corps, which was also the best in the league, and a soft schedule. Now that the variables are different, we see Fitz coming back to earth, and our coach not having the stones to make a change at Quarterback. Even if Fitz isn't turning the ball over, he can't comeback from a deficit, and our defense isn't good enough for us to carry him. A change has to be made. Even if you hate Geno Smith, you have to give him the opportunity to show what he can do with Gailey/Marshall and open all of our mystery boxes before we head into the off-season, so we can actually have a greater idea of what to look at in the off-season, because guess what? We're not winning a playoff game with Ryan Fitzpatrick under center. It sickens me that we're a football team with really solid veteran parts, but a terrible foundation in Bowles and Fitzpatrick. 

- Signed... disgruntled Jets fan.

I was not upset with bowels last year because he was a rookie, he is worse this year and he may have totally lost me last game with two weeks in a row of not gambling on 4th down and then using a time out when the other team had gone out of bounds.

I liked mac his 1st year as well and his later parts of drafts and looking for good udfa that slip through are good but I positively hated both our 1st and 2nd round pick last year.  Gms live and die on their draft results.

Let's Fast Forward to the End of this season.  Jets finish 4-12 or worse. Toilet Bowles is fired. Mac gets to higher a new coach.

Probably goes the Head Coach retread route since he struck out with Bowles.

Geno is gone. Fitz is gone. Revis is gone since he won't renegotiate down for the Jets.

Jets need a cornerback and draft one with the 3rd pick in the draft from Ohio State, Michigan or some other huge program We stick with Tiny LB.

We go with Hack or Petty at QB. We sign a veteran QB like a Hoyer or Whitehurst or Clemons.

We are FFFF'd for the next 5 years.

JETS JETS JETS

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I was not upset with bowels last year because he was a rookie, he is worse this year and he may have totally lost me last game with two weeks in a row of not gambling on 4th down and then using a time out when the other team had gone out of bounds.

I liked mac his 1st year as well and his later parts of drafts and looking for good udfa that slip through are good but I positively hated both our 1st and 2nd round pick last year.  Gms live and die on their draft results.

I don't understand chess, but I do understand football.

I meant that those 3 units are the most important part of an organization. No matter how talented the rest of the roster is, you'll fail without the big 3 kings.

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

There is talent here. 

My theory is fitz' 6 pack and then not getting benched sucked the life out of this team

They done gave up

Do you blame them?  They have a moron for a head coach who if he says what he says on pressers to them behind closed its a no wonder why they gave up. 

52 minutes ago, Mecca said:

Football is unlike any other sport, in that it's a chess match where essentially 3 positions act as kings whom control the success of the franchise. These 3 kings are the:

1. General Manager

2. Head Coach

3. Quarterback

- If the franchise is in sync with all 3 units, you normally have a successful franchise. One that can make up for other leaky positions across the roster. Look at the trio in New England or Seattle for example. Both organizations have clear holes in other units, but make up for it with a STRONG foundation. 

- Right now the New York Jets are a very solid football team, with a WEAK foundation. It doesn't matter how beautiful the bathrooms are, when the house is a thunderstorm away from crashing. Elite defensive lineman and a veteran Wide Receiver corps WON'T make up for the fact our coaching and QB play is bottom 5 in the league. 

- I lost all hope in Bowles when we went into Buffalo week 17 and looked flat as soda left in the sun overnight whereas Rex had his dogs playing like it was the Super Bowl. Matter of fact, I began to lose hope when Bill O'Brien's Texans beat us playing chess against checkers with his 3rd string Quarterback. Todd Bowles schemes vanilla game plans and can't outwit a coach when his teams talent can't match up.

- Bowles' lack of adjustments and accountability in his players is apparent. For starters, we've repeatedly been torched on splash plays all season long, when the coaches 'forte' becomes our weakest link, we know we have an issue. Calvin Pryor was supposed to flourish in a Todd Bowles system, but instead Bowles has attempted to fit a circle into a square peg, when Pryor is more Deion Buchannon than Tyrann Mathieu. 

- The play calling is too conservative. We lack trickery or the ability to fool the opposing head coach, and quite frankly, Todd Bowles does NOT put his fingerprints on the game whereas opposing coaches beat us with strategy. Todd doesn't play chess with an opposing coach. He lets the players play, and that's exactly the reason why we can't beat a well coached or more talented team. 

- Now onto Fitz. I preached all off-season one statistic that Westhoff had spoke on in the early part of the summer. When calculating the Jets 16 opponents in the 2015 season, the Jets faced the softest schedule in terms of secondary rating, opposing passing yards, and dropped interceptions. Then why the f*** does the Jets organization treat Ryan Fitzpatrick like he's Tom Brady all off-season? I understand a willingness to sign a player that helped you win 10 games, but once his demands became senile, we should have moved onto plan B, drafted a more PRO READY QB, and made plans to upgrade other weak areas of the roster. 

- Now lets flashback to what Fitzpatrick was the past decade, and remember that feeling Jets fans had when we went up against Fitzpatrick. I remember vividly saying to myself how Rex was going to eat Fitz for breakfast, (which he routinely did) 

- Fitzpatrick is SIMPLE to gameplan against. His lack of deep ball accuracy, arm strength, and decision making skills along with a slow release shows why he was a 7th round pick. You play press man coverage and stack the box and make Fitz beat you deep, which we won't. You make your Safeties play Centerfield waiting for his highpops. There is a reason why John Elway didn't look into Fitz' direction for even a meeting. 

- But what really upsets me... We're wasting the end of Marshall, Mangold, Clady, Revis, Forte, and Harris' prime on a wasted season because the organization was gullible enough to look at a record without analyzing the tape and his opponents.

Fitzpatrick lucked into a healthy offensive line, healthy Wide Receiving Corps, which was also the best in the league, and a soft schedule. Now that the variables are different, we see Fitz coming back to earth, and our coach not having the stones to make a change at Quarterback. Even if Fitz isn't turning the ball over, he can't comeback from a deficit, and our defense isn't good enough for us to carry him. A change has to be made. Even if you hate Geno Smith, you have to give him the opportunity to show what he can do with Gailey/Marshall and open all of our mystery boxes before we head into the off-season, so we can actually have a greater idea of what to look at in the off-season, because guess what? We're not winning a playoff game with Ryan Fitzpatrick under center. It sickens me that we're a football team with really solid veteran parts, but a terrible foundation in Bowles and Fitzpatrick. 

There really is nothing else to say, another excellent post that is spot on.

I feel for all of you passionate Jet fans like myself. Boy does sucking suck.

We are going to finish 7-9 or 8-8 by beating up on some truly awful teams.  This will make Bowles seem like he knows what he is doing and hopefully next year we go 2-14 dump Bowles and start fresh.  My only hope is a guy like Todd Haley doesn't get his second head coaching job after this year and is around next offseason.  I think he will be the kind of guy who does really well on his second opportunity

43 minutes ago, BRONX DUDE said:

Let's Fast Forward to the End of this season.  Jets finish 4-12 or worse. Toilet Bowles is fired. Mac gets to higher a new coach.

Probably goes the Head Coach retread route since he struck out with Bowles.

Geno is gone. Fitz is gone. Revis is gone since he won't renegotiate down for the Jets.

Jets need a cornerback and draft one with the 3rd pick in the draft from Ohio State, Michigan or some other huge program We stick with Tiny LB.

We go with Hack or Petty at QB. We sign a veteran QB like a Hoyer or Whitehurst or Clemons.

We are FFFF'd for the next 5 years.

JETS JETS JETS

You do know Mac did not hire Bowles right??

We are going to finish 7-9 or 8-8 by beating up on some truly awful teams.  This will make Bowles seem like he knows what he is doing and hopefully next year we go 2-14 dump Bowles and start fresh.  My only hope is a guy like Todd Haley doesn't get his second head coaching job after this year and is around next offseason.  I think he will be the kind of guy who does really well on his second opportunity

No we won't. Lost in all this assumption is the mental effect of being 1-5/1-6/2-5. When you're that bad record wise there's no easy opponents anymore, there's no easy wins. There's no team we "should" beat. We are right there just as bad as MIA. We're both teams with decent talent across the roster and terribly sh*tty QB's. MIA can beat us just as easily as any other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much like the rest of the Bowles tenure his players will outplay the opposing teams players. That's how we won any games at all. When was the last time you thought "Bowles really had a great gameplan that week" never. We always win when guys like Brandon Marshall out will opposing teams but that only gets u so far, like 10-6 with career years from your qb, rb and 2 wr's and still not make the playoffs

25 minutes ago, tkiss24 said:

If we finish 7-9 or 8-8 my wife will run naked on the MET LIFE turf.

I have been saying that this was like the Rich Kotex years. I may be wrong. It's starting to look like the year that Lou Holtz coached the Jets and quit after 10 games. The defense gave up big plays and the offense sucked. All they need is a fight song.

No one's getting fired after this year unless we go 1-15 which we won't once the schedule eases up.  One of the reasons Macc got the job is because he was able to sell the Jets on a competitive rebuild.  Meaning, he was going to bring in some talent, make this team exciting again (Marshall, Revis, Forte, etc...) while rebuilding the talent for the future.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, Macc would obviously never say this to the media but he knows this team still has a ton of holes and isn't ready to be a Super Bowl contender.  Maybe if all goes right a playoff team but that's as far as they're gonna go...Which again, is why contrary to the overreactions here is why Macc never caved to Fitz's demands and hence we're not locked in at all to this guy beyond 2016 the veteran FA's are to appease the fans and sell seats while he rebuilds the young talent.

2 hours ago, Mecca said:

This is actually a very good post and I don't want to come off as nit picky.  But I think we already saw an end to Revis and Harris's prime before the season even started and that IMO has been a big part of the problem.  Bowles has been too slow/stubborn to recognize this and make adjustments...

2 hours ago, Mecca said:

1. General Manager

2. Head Coach

3. Quarterback

Wonderfully written. 

I said some of your points last year but jets fans were too busy misconstruing tread titles given their personal dislike. 

Ignoring Fitz history simply because it didn't happen in a jets jersey is where jets fans went wrong. Attacking the messenger didn't change the facts.

Number 1 issue is the fan base.

Idzick realized this team was far from competing for a championship and people ripped him apart for not spending money money on guys like cromartie-rodgers.

this team needed a complete over haul and the fan base wouldn't let it happen.

so therefore we stay in the constant cycle of mediocrity

52 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

This is actually a very good post and I don't want to come off as nit picky.  But I think we already saw an end to Revis and Harris's prime before the season even started and that IMO has been a big part of the problem.  Bowles has been too slow/stubborn to recognize this and make adjustments...

Well said.

I think we're seeing the end of most of these guys. I know Mangold gets props for being a Pro Bowl center, but I've wondered how much of that is reputation vs. really being the best. Harris sucks. Revis is not what he used to be, although I believe he's still a quality corner; problem is, the entire secondary doesn't seem cohesive, far from it; so what difference does it make?

And, I'm sorry, the notion that these bumbling, stumbling, impotent Jets can just beat up on the dregs of the NFL when THEY ARE THE DREGS OF THE NFL seems absurdly optimistic.

Sorry but signing Sixpatrick for 12m after he missed the entire preseason (like he can handle missing the PS because he's that good!) was just dumb.  No two ways about it.  Mac's on major mistake so far.  

Fitz could have been here the entire preseason, offseason, Christmas break, Presidents' Day, every single day since we lost to BUF last year and nothing would be different. He's old, he's never improved over his career, and he sucks. Signing him at all was a mistake, never mind when.

The Foundation isn't broken. 

This team is FAR from dead and RIGHT about where MOST competent NFL observers thought they MAY be due to the tough opening schedule. 

After the Ravens game, things will improve. The NFL, the Jets' own late season-run history and key injuries to opposing teams causes EVERYTHING to fall into place where we may find ourselves RIGHT in the thick of it. 

Yes, the football playing and coaching is UGLY through 5 weeks, but there's a looooooooong way to go in the season. 

So stop your bitching and whining. We're Par for the course. 

it's clear that Bowles is out of his depth. i hope woody has already instructed mac to find a replacement. mac himself has also made a lot of mistakes. i am not sure he personally has the experience or connections to hire a good coach, or if a very strong coach would even agree to report to him. they were in a good position to start over after idzik cleared the cap but then mac blew much of it on inferior or over the hill players. sometimes you need to move away from a team. i wont be watching the jets with that much passion or interest the rest of this year, unless they suddenly shoot the moon, which they won't. they need to earn that level of commitment. i will watch most games, and will want them to win every single one, but now if they tank a game early, well direct tv gives you lots of options. this is what happens after decades of being a loyal fan and losing becomes a permanent habit, except now and then every ten or twenty years. i just want to be entertained by a good football team from ny, not play armchair NFL executive. i think the buffalo game following our Pittsburgh debacle was a lot more entertaining to watch. and it's actually a new york team, come to think of it. i think the OP wrote a pretty good post, & I understood what he meant about the chess analogy, even if chess does not work that way. totally predictable but disgusting outcome this season, so far.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Bill Belechick saw something here we all failed to see

This is exactly when it went sideways. The whole somebody has to be in charge thing I've been harping on for years comes straight from Parcells and he totally subverted his own espoused philosophy by trying to turn the keys over to Belichick without getting his pear-shaped ass all the way out of the way. That's why Belichick said eff this and quit and fifteen years later we still haven't figured this sh*t out. 

Archived