"Todd Bowles opens possibility for Geno Smith to start for Jets" - Cimini

A Jet from Oz

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Except Fitz. Shouldn't have been signed to begin with

Yeah man, we are never going to agree on this. The team picks the QB. You would have lost the locker room before you even played a game. It's nice to believe that this is like a video game - but it's not that simple. 

14 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Yeah man, we are never going to agree on this. The team picks the QB. You would have lost the locker room before you even played a game. It's nice to believe that this is like a video game - but it's not that simple. 

But instead you lost the season. You know what's so crazy? In one breath a poster can say "I don't like Geno's tantrum last night. He needs to be a good teammate/soldier and just wait for the Coach to make the decision" and no one except me sees a problem with that. Then in another breath I can have another poster say "if they didn't resign Fitz they would have lost the locker room" 

How does this work because it seems like if Geno throws a fit people request that he be cut from the team to send a "message", but if Fitz wasnt signed then this same coaching staff/organization was afraid that the same team would throw a tantrum, basically forcing their hand?

#Hypocrisy and it makes no sense. The story being told isn't consistent.

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

But instead you lost the season. You know what's so crazy? In one breath a poster can say "I don't like Geno's tantrum last night. He needs to be a good teammate/soldier and just wait for the Coach to make the decision" and no one except me sees a problem with that. Then in another breath I can have another poster say "if they didn't resign Fitz they would have lost the locker room" 

How does this work because it seems like if Geno throws a fit people request that he be cut from the team to send a "message", but if Fitz was signed then this same coaching staff/organization was afraid that the same team would throw a tantrum.

I'm glad geno is on the sidelines throwing things pissed off. Knowing he, or any qb in the world could do better than fitzgarbage.. If he was Sitting on the bench ok with fitz killing the season, I'd be pissed at him .

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

You lost the season. You know what's so crazy? In one breath a poster can say "I don't like Geno's tantrum last night. He needs to be a good teammate/soldier and just wait for the Coach to make the decision" and no one except me sees a problem with that. Then in another breath I can have another poster say "if they didn't resign Fitz they would have lost the locker room" 

How does this work because it seems like if Geno throws a fit people request that he be cut from the team to send a "message", but if Fitz was signed then this same coaching staff/organization was afraid that the same team would throw a tantrum.

Geno may be a great teammate - but it was painfully obvious that the veteran's on the team thought Fitz gave them the best chance to win. It's obvious now that the Vets were wrong. The team is in a better position now than they would have been if Geno was 1-5 right now. Now you go to Geno. If he catches lightening in a bottle they make a run. If not, you shift to next year mode. It was the right thing to do.

At one time I thought Geno was a terrible teammate - but I happen to think he has grown up a little. On his bad plays last night he wasn't acting like the same baby he used to act like. Also it seems like he is mentoring Hack and Petty more than Fitz has ever based on quotes I have read over the summer and recently.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

But it is almost entirely Fitz even in part the defense. Offense and defense do not exist in a vacuum, they are complimentary. With a QB as awful as Fitz, there is more pressure on the defense and the defense also is more likely to tire late. Defenses playing with a lead are more effective. Defenses are better with less series to play. So if Fitzloser could actually play halfway decent, the defense would have a much better opportunity to succeed as well. We have other problems but Fitz is by far the worst.

While I agree generally with your premise you are overselling Fitz and excusing a sh*t ton of other problems. The defense has come out looking flat every game. You can't blame Fitz for the defense not covering screens and bubble passes or Revis getting burned early in the game or the lack of turnovers. These games have been lost right in the first half. You can't blame Fitz for stupid playcalls or Forte's unimpressive running. Fitz carries the blame for his sh*tty play but our record is a group ******* effort.

57 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Just imagine for a moment you're a coach or a GM and you're going into a season with two guys who have never taken an NFL snap in a real game and the worst QB statistically for two years. What does that say to your fan base? What does that say to the rest of the NFL? It just was never going to happen. The majority of this fan base wants nothing to do with your guy. And when he's no longer a Jet, he's going to find out not many other teams want anything to do with him either. 

He'll go right back to what he was before Geno got knocked out: a vet backup in case of injury. I mean, FFS Sanchez is doing the same.

6 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Geno may be a great teammate - but it was painfully obvious that the veteran's on the team thought Fitz gave them the best chance to win. It's obvious now that the Vets were wrong. The team is in a better position now than they would have been if Geno was 1-5 right now. Now you go to Geno. If he catches lightening in a bottle they make a run. If not, you shift to next year mode. It was the right thing to do.

At one time I thought Geno was a terrible teammate - but I happen to think he has grown up a little. On his bad plays last night he wasn't acting like the same baby he used to act like. Also it seems like he is mentoring Hack and Petty more than Fitz has ever based on quotes I have read over the summer and recently.

This. Atleast give the guy an opportunity to succeed/fail in this new scenario. 

All I've been saying. I understand why the jets did it, and imo it had less to do with the locker room reaction and more to do about a rookie GM/HC winning 10 games out the gate.

With that said though, the way fans are acting, to the point of even justifying what Fitz has done this far is ridiculous, especially knowing that in comparison Geno can't even throw a fit on the sideline without fans saying to "cut him to send a message to the team" as if that would be the answer to turn around WTF just happened to our season. 

Utter nonsense at this point.

Geno doesn't have chemistry with anyone...his teammate broke his jaw last year and nobody really seemed to care.  
Geno was showing up the entire coaching staff with his antics on Monday night.  I don't see how the Jets can reward that kind of behavior.   When Petty is named the starter, I am pretty sure that Geno is going to be released and Hack moves to #3.   No reason to keep a malcontent with a few games remaining on his contract on the roster.  

Geno should be cut immediately for his behavior. When your 11-18 as a starter with a 27-36 td to int ratio you don't get to act like it's a travesty that you aren't playing. Aside from 2 week 17 games that meant nothing geno has shown nothing for anyone to believe he is a legit qb in this league

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This. Atleast give the guy an opportunity to succeed/fail in this new scenario. 

All I've been saying. I understand why the jets did it, and imo it had less to do with the locker room reaction and more to do about a rookie GM/HC winning 10 games out the gate.

With that said though, the way fans are acting, to the point of even justifying what Fitz has done this far is ridiculous, especially knowing that in comparison Geno can't even throw a fit on the sideline without fans saying to "cut him to send a message to the team" as if that would be the answer to turn around WTF just happened to our season. 

Utter nonsense at this point.

We agree on that. I personally like to see a player do that. It's why I wanted the Jets to draft him. You cant succeed in the NFL without being ultra competitive. Geno has a great opportunity here. He has started 3 years and he has had a chance to sit and watch for over a year. He is going to start for a team that is 1-5 and replace a QB that has been historically bad on an offense that does have talent. If he doesn't have some success now, he never will. This is perfect for him. I supported Fitz and at one time hated Geno's guts - but I think you are not thinking right if you are rooting against the guy at this point. In a way, Bowles has set Geno up for success, if he can ever have it, ever, it is now.

35 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I am about to lock this. I don't give two you know what's who was right and who was wrong.

I do give a lot of you know what about the quality of posts on this message board though.

What if we are not exactly sure what either of the we know whats are? What then? 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Good. This is all that we've been asking for. You don't waste 12 million and give a season to a journeyman. Geno was the vet, if he didn't work out then pass it to Petty/Hack. We wasted almost half the season on a guy who has an established career doing exactly what he just did. Got paid and stunk up the joint. You don't do that when you have 3 QB's on rookie contracts.

Yo we been talking sense till we were blue in the face since January, but the masses got what they wanted, hope they are enjoying it, I know I'm not.

58 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Yo we been talking sense till we were blue in the face since January, but the masses got what they wanted, hope they are enjoying it, I know I'm not.

More like last November...in the HEIGHT of the Fitzmagic nonsense. Got all types of backlash for that sh*t. Today???...guys are afraid to even look into that thread and read all the stupid stuff they said just 1 year ago about this dude. 

His entire career screamed what we've been saying and they got it completely wrong, yet they expect us to take their word for it on a guy still on his rookie deal. 

Not saying that Geno will amount to anything, but what we know for certain is that if they couldn't identify what Fitz was back then, then their evaluation of Geno is meaningless.

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

More like last November...in the HEIGHT of the Fitzmagic nonsense. Got all types of backlash for that sh*t. Today???...guys are afraid to even look into that thread and read all the stupid stuff the said just 1 year ago about this dude. 

His entire career screamed what we've been saying and they got it completely wrong, yet they expect he to take their word for it on a guy still on his rookie deal. 

Not saying that Geno will amount to anything, but what we know for certain is that if they couldn't identify what Fitz was back then, then their evaluation of Geno is meaningless.

Your right, I know I was calling for Fitz benching in November, and I got tons of sh*t for it.

On 7/27/2016 at 7:24 PM, Lupz27 said:

Great another year of unwatchable football with that goon under center.  Unfortunately for us Jets fans the Jets schedule will expose him for the fraud that he is, and this will make Macc look bad, and put a lot of pressure on Bowles when this team can't beat the good teams on the schedule early, and Bowles will have to make a decision whether to stick with the loser Fitz, or give the young Geno 1 last chance to prove, or disprove he has developed.  If Bowles keeps plugging Fitz in week after week with the Jets losing 5, or 6 of the first 7 games he should be fired IMO, but we will cross that bridge WHEN it comes.

17 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

More like last November...in the HEIGHT of the Fitzmagic nonsense. Got all types of backlash for that sh*t. Today???...guys are afraid to even look into that thread and read all the stupid stuff the said just 1 year ago about this dude. 

His entire career screamed what we've been saying and they got it completely wrong, yet they expect us to take their word for it on a guy still on his rookie deal. 

Then I wrote the above minutes after the conquering hero got his 12 million.  Such a shame.  And crossing that bridge has come.

5 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

While I agree generally with your premise you are overselling Fitz and excusing a sh*t ton of other problems. The defense has come out looking flat every game. You can't blame Fitz for the defense not covering screens and bubble passes or Revis getting burned early in the game or the lack of turnovers. These games have been lost right in the first half. You can't blame Fitz for stupid playcalls or Forte's unimpressive running. Fitz carries the blame for his sh*tty play but our record is a group ******* effort.

He'll go right back to what he was before Geno got knocked out: a vet backup in case of injury. I mean, FFS Sanchez is doing the same.

I was talking about Geno. 

9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

But it is almost entirely Fitz even in part the defense. Offense and defense do not exist in a vacuum, they are complimentary. With a QB as awful as Fitz, there is more pressure on the defense and the defense also is more likely to tire late. Defenses playing with a lead are more effective. Defenses are better with less series to play. So if Fitzloser could actually play halfway decent, the defense would have a much better opportunity to succeed as well. We have other problems but Fitz is by far the worst.

Have you seen our secondary?

9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Fitz isn't playing well that is for sure and I have ripped him in other threads mercilessly but anyone who thinks Fitz is the only thing wrong with this team is insane.

A top ten defense of last year is in the bottom third of the league this year with essentially the same personnel!!

Is that Fitz?

No!!

That is on coaching and specifically DC Rogers first and foremost and Bowles second.  Are they claiming they miss Cromartie???

Come on now!!

Bowles and Rogers don't get to blame the poor execution on defense on Fitz.

But with the way Fitz played of course he has to be on the hot seat but also of the big PAID guns on the defense should be on the hot seat as well.

IMO you are 1-5; everybody is on the hot seat!!

Fitz sits, that the easy part. Fixing the Jets now that is the real deal there...

Defense is weak.  True.  But a QB covers a lot of deficiencies.  We win some of these games with average performance from Fitz-even if our D is bad.  We win the Cincy game. Maybe the KC game minus 6 INTERCEPTIONs.  The Buffalo game.  That leaves us very mediocre at 3-3.  But with a much easier schedule ahead.  QBs get paid a lot because they smooth over a lot of the bad.  Fitz IS the bad.  Everybody here would have killed for 3-3 at the beginning of the season.   It did not even require Fitz to be great, which he cannot be, anyway.  I just think it is mainly on him, because everything is mainly on  the QB in today's NFL.

After the bye, if we have, say, 7 losses, I can see Petty or Hack getting some snaps. I notice Todd felt compelled to state that Hack has been throwing it better in practice.  But I do not see it before.  Geno could start the games in between.  They still have to act like they could go 9-1--until they can't

8 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

More like last November...in the HEIGHT of the Fitzmagic nonsense. Got all types of backlash for that sh*t. Today???...guys are afraid to even look into that thread and read all the stupid stuff they said just 1 year ago about this dude. 

This is my biggest concern.  I hear things like the staff clearly doesn't think Geno is better or that Petty isn't ready...or that they loved Hack's potential when they drafted him in the second round - all of that is reasonable except ...

Based upon the way they handled the Fitz situation you have to truly questions the coaching staff and GM's ability to judge QB talent. 

2 hours ago, jack48 said:

After the bye, if we have, say, 7 losses, I can see Petty or Hack getting some snaps. I notice Todd felt compelled to state that Hack has been throwing it better in practice.  But I do not see it before.  Geno could start the games in between.  They still have to act like they could go 9-1--until they can't

These guys are supposed to be here for the long haul. This is only Year Two. They should have the leeway from both the fans and the owner to start looking at the future. Sitting guys they know won't be here next year, or guys they're already looking at cutting next year, so that younger guys can prove themselves (or not) is in the best interest of the franchise. 

And seriously, from an entertainment standpoint, I'm more likely to tune in and watch all the way thru if anyone but Fitzpatrick is under center. The man is clearly neither the present nor the future. 

10 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I posted last night that there was no way he'd proclaim Geno the starter in the press conference.  Coaches never do that in the post game.  

I'm not giving him any credit as he waited WAY too long to pull fitz.  But I have no issue with him waiting until he watches the film and speaks to his coaching staff.  Plus at 1-5 he needs to start  consulting with the gm on the path of this team. 

Fitz should be cut.

^ This. Fitz has sh*tbead outside of one game. I don't put the blame solely on Bowles for not starting Geno sooner, that's on Mac. They spent 12 million on a journeymen based on one season because they had no faith in Geno. Mac is not going to bench him permanently after 4-5 games (not that I agree with that) but unfortunately that's was the case. I hope they let Geno start this week and see how he does over the course of a few weeks. If he dosent play well in comes Petty.

Bowles is not without his share of blame but the QB decision is mainly on Mac and his decision to sign Fitz. I also blame Woody as his consultant Charley Casserly who til this day still thinks we should stick with Fitz. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

This is my biggest concern.  I hear things like the staff clearly doesn't think Geno is better or that Petty isn't ready...or that they loved Hack's potential when they drafted him in the second round - all of that is reasonable except ...

Based upon the way they handled the Fitz situation you have to truly questions the coaching staff and GM's ability to judge QB talent. 

Guys know this. The only reason why it hasn't been said is because of emotions towards Geno. To prove that, fans have been screaming for Petty the #3 which in that situation position makes no difference (3rd stringer) yet with Geno it's "if Fitz was so bad then why isn't Geno in"? 

How much must we need to see to know what's "bad"? Furthermore, if Geno is the #2 it's for a "reason" right?

It's like reality doesn't count when it comes to Geno.

10 hours ago, tkiss24 said:

Geno should be cut immediately for his behavior. When your 11-18 as a starter with a 27-36 td to int ratio you don't get to act like it's a travesty that you aren't playing. Aside from 2 week 17 games that meant nothing geno has shown nothing for anyone to believe he is a legit qb in this league

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yeah, good. Cut the one guy who seemed to give a crap the other night for being pissed about what he was watching. That makes sense. 

Archived