"Todd Bowles opens possibility for Geno Smith to start for Jets" - Cimini

A Jet from Oz

Geno should be cut immediately for his behavior. When your 11-18 as a starter with a 27-36 td to int ratio you don't get to act like it's a travesty that you aren't playing. Aside from 2 week 17 games that meant nothing geno has shown nothing for anyone to believe he is a legit qb in this league

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On most losing teams, the most popular player on the team seems to be the backup quarterback. Everyone wants him in there.
We go one better. We bypass #2, and crave #3.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

i don't see the point in benching fitz for geno.  either way the team is once again unwatchable.

The point is accountability.

Like it or not, Fitz has completely sh*t the bed.  There are a myriad of factors, and he's gotten very little help, from the running game, from his oil-fingered WR's or from Chan's pants-on-head play-calling, but Fitz is responsible for his play, and he's played horribly.

And when someone plays horribly, a change needs to be made, even if you think they guy behind him might be equally terrible, the opportunity should be given to show it.

The year is lost, Fitz is done, it's time.

I prefer a 10 game Petty tryout myself, but that doesn't appear to be in the cards.

So switching the deckchairs on the Jets-Titanic is appropriate.  Fitz out, Geno in.

If Geno isn't light years better, we will eventually give Petty his shot, his tryout.

It's hard to find disagreement with this view sitting at 1-5 and the season over.

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

I enjoy the idea that Max has a language filter on the site and still won't curse.

He told me there is no language filter on JN.

Yet I see curses filtered all the time.

This apparent contradiction got me in some trouble Monday.  I used a rather bad word that went unfiltered (I expected it to be filtered tbqh).

When I suggested it be added to the filter, I was told there is no filter on JN.

/shrug.

1 hour ago, slats said:

These guys are supposed to be here for the long haul. This is only Year Two. They should have the leeway from both the fans and the owner to start looking at the future. Sitting guys they know won't be here next year, or guys they're already looking at cutting next year, so that younger guys can prove themselves (or not) is in the best interest of the franchise. 

And seriously, from an entertainment standpoint, I'm more likely to tune in and watch all the way thru if anyone but Fitzpatrick is under center. The man is clearly neither the present nor the future. 

This is my feeling exactly. I just think they will wait because they are competitive and always hold out hope for a miracle.  I cannot stand watching Fitz throw a football.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

The point is accountability.

Like it or not, Fitz has completely sh*t the bed.  There are a myriad of factors, and he's gotten very little help, from the running game, from his oil-fingered WR's or from Chan's pants-on-head play-calling, but Fitz is responsible for his play, and he's played horribly.

And when someone plays horribly, a change needs to be made, even if you think they guy behind him might be equally terrible, the opportunity should be given to show it.

The year is lost, Fitz is done, it's time.

I prefer a 10 game Petty tryout myself, but that doesn't appear to be in the cards.

So switching the deckchairs on the Jets-Titanic is appropriate.  Fitz out, Geno in.

If Geno isn't light years better, we will eventually give Petty his shot, his tryout.

It's hard to find disagreement with this view sitting at 1-5 and the season over.

so the move from fitz to geno.......1) shows the team that anyone can be benched, 2) shows the team they will stick to the hierarchy the coaches preach, and 3) gives petty more time to recover from his injury.  ok, i get this.  the team is still unwatchable.  

i like what mccags has done, but the weird thing is that most new gms draft qbs and play them sooner, so they're not touting this 'competitive rebuild' mantra s***.  we have drafted 2 nfl-unready prospects and the rabid fanbase has been instructed to wait, as if they've planted seeds in the earth that will yield plump tomatoes next spring.  and then we turn on the tv and watch other teams eating tomatoes now.  so essentially the fanbase has to mentally write-off another season with the hope one of these two qbs pan out, since there's certainly no guarantee the jets take one with their first round pick next april even though they well may be in prime position to do it.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

so the move from fitz to geno.......1) shows the team that anyone can be benched, 2) shows the team they will stick to the hierarchy the coaches preach, and 3) gives petty more time to recover from his injury.  ok, i get this.  the team is still unwatchable.  

Yes.

And yes, sadly.

i like what mccags has done, but the weird thing is that most new gms draft qbs and play them sooner, so they're not touting this 'competitive rebuild' mantra s***.  we have drafted 2 nfl-unready prospects and the rabid fanbase has been instructed to wait, as if they've planted seeds in the earth that will yield plump tomatoes next spring.  and then we turn on the tv and watch other teams eating tomatoes now.  so essentially the fanbase has to mentally write-off another season with the hope one of these two qbs pan out, since there's certainly no guarantee the jets take one with their first round pick next april even though they well may be in prime position to do it.

We hit a lucky streak in 2015 and tried to maintain it while rebuilding.  It didn't work.

I still have faith in Macc and his longer-term vision for the Organization.

I have less faith that Bowles and Chan will be leading that long-term future.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Yes.

And yes, sadly.

We hit a lucky streak in 2015 and tried to maintain it while rebuilding.  It didn't work.

I still have faith in Macc and his longer-term vision for the Organization.

I have less faith that Bowles and Chan will be leading that long-term future.

agreed on the coaches.  though gailey is not throwing the picks.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

agreed on the coaches.  though gailey is not throwing the picks.  

Yup...guys are open.  I have a hard time blaming Gailey.

Tough for any OC that has a one-read, weak armed QB...

I still think we would be crazy to part with Chan....keep him as long as he's willing to coach.

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I wonder what on the roster made BigMac think he had time to develop 2 QB's who were long term projects?

Jeeeezzzzzz.....who could that player be????????

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I wonder what on the roster made BigMac think he had time to develop 2 QB's who were long term projects?

That is the fault of the GM, the head coach and the OC in that case correct?

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

it's not fitz's or geno's fault.  petty was a known project, coming from that offense.  hack is the interesting one.  and noone would care if the 1st and 2nd stringers didn't completely suck.  but it is a bit telling that in preseason petty looked the best of all the qbs.  fitz and geno both sucked in preseason and they're sucking now.

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This apparent contradiction got me in some trouble Monday.  I used a rather bad word that went unfiltered (I expected it to be filtered tbqh).

When I suggested it be added to the filter, I was told there is no filter on JN.

/shrug.

It was my belief that there was no language filter. I have a schedule that is pretty damn busy and I run JN on top of all that. So maybe I was wrong, I thought the newest version of the site didn't have a language filter. I didn't think it was worth looking into because either way, no cursing.

Regardless, the language filter or lack there of is not what got you in some trouble. What got you in trouble was you calliing people here the C word. Because after months and months of you fighting it was proven that bringing Fitz back was a HUGE mistake. Rather than own it you drop that. Nice.

Do me a favor, spare me the long PM. You called everyone here the C word. You should have been banned for that. You are a long time poster and although in private message you asked me to ban you, I said I was disappointed that you would disrespect the board and people here like that. But I wasn't banning you.

You told me you were going to take a break and then you were back posting the next morning.

I had considered this whole matter resolved. You are free to post. But I find it comical that you are blaming software for what you did wrong. If the software changed it to C*NT I would have still had the same reaction, so just let it go already and don't personally attack other posters here.

14 hours ago, A Jet from Oz said:

Maybe Bowles has been reading the message board?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17828168/todd-bowles-new-york-jets-coach-opens-door-sitting-quarterback-ryan-fitzpatrick

One day after giving a vote of confidence to embattled quarterback Ryan FitzpatrickNew York Jets coach Todd Bowles backtracked on his commitment, hinting Tuesday he could turn to Geno Smith this weekend.

Bowles also expanded the quarterback controversy to four players, saying it's "definitely possible" that Bryce Petty and/or Christian Hackenberg could play before the end of the season.

The coach backed Fitzpatrick after Monday night's 28-3 loss to the Arizona Cardinals, saying, "Fitz will be back next week. ... Fitz is our starter."

Some 18 hours later, Bowles was waffling, which is out of character for him.

"First of all, after the game, it's always going to be status quo because I'm never going to tell the media anything before I meet with my coaches and my GM and the rest of the staff, so everything is status quo until we have our meeting [Tuesday night]," Bowles said.

Lol, so wrong on that. He flat out said "Fitz will be back next week. ... Fitz is our starter". Not much doubt left there from his end to say the least.

Fitzpatrick leads the NFL with 11 interceptions and has led the offense to only three touchdowns during the Jets' current four-game losing streak.

Bowles conceded he "revisited" the matter after his postgame news conference. He pulled Fitzpatrick midway through the fourth quarter of the blowout, inserting Smith, whose only series ended with an interception.

"He did show some promise when he was in there," Bowles said of Smith. "He understood the game plan and he did good for that drive he was in there."

Asked directly if Smith could start Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens (3-3), Bowles said, "We have to talk about more than that. There's a possibility every week there will be some changes made, player-wise."

Wrong again. He hasn't benched a single player so far, from what I remember. 

"I don't have any thoughts on backup players saying anything," Bowles said. "They're backups for a reason. If they get a chance to play, they better prove themselves to be worthy of playing regardless of who that person is."

No, sh!tface, Geno is a backup cuz your $12mil ego is in the way. Everybody knows Geno outplayed Fitz last year and it wasn't even close. This year, Geno never got a real shot and when he did, he outplayed him again in the off season. I think Bowles is the real backup here. He needs to head back to DC role where he'll stink without an elite CB.

Smith also attracted attention on the sideline by throwing his baseball cap and tossing a cup of ice on the field moments after Fitzpatrick was intercepted at the end of the third quarter. Clearly frustrated, Smith paced the sideline, waiting for his shot, which came shortly after that.

I was pissed at half time. Not sure what took Smith so long. 

"I don't think anything of it," Bowles said of Smith's sideline behavior.

We all know that and that's the issue. You are a piece of work, Bowles. You don't think. That is the real issue. 

The Jets are 1-5. Since 1970, only two teams have rallied from a 1-5 start to make the postseason. With no quarterback of the future, the Jets are open to auditioning Petty and Hackenberg.

"It's possible," Bowles said. "We've still got some stages to go before we get to that point, but it's definitely possible."

Of course it's possible, thanks to your effing incompetence gutless coaching. 

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That is the fault of the GM, the head coach and the OC in that case correct?

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it's not fitz's or geno's fault.  petty was a known project, coming from that offense.  hack is the interesting one.  and noone would care if the 1st and 2nd stringers didn't completely suck.  but it is a bit telling that in preseason petty looked the best of all the qbs.  fitz and geno both sucked in preseason and they're sucking now.

Of course it's the GM and Head Coach "faults" - but someone gave them false security at the QB positoin which made them think they could take their time with long term projects.  

I'll give you a hint.  He's really bad at Football but has sweet beard. 

Give Geno a shot. I think he can go out and do enough to win. You may see him fumble, you may see him throw an INT but he is mobile, he has a cannon and I think he can put point on the board with the weapons around him. Even with the fumble (strip sack) and INT, he looked a lot better than Fitz in Arizona. These next 4 games are critical as the schedule eases up. And its obvious the Jets need to shake things up at the QB position. 

Can we please give Burris more reps. Why am I seeing D.Roberts out there and Burris playing only special teams. Burris has looked good every chance he got to play. Put him out there Bowles! Also, can we NOT play Richardson at ILB, can we put Skrine in the slot where he belongs. WTF is going on with the personnel management defensively???? 

12 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I'm enjoying this Fitz washout specifically.

Sorry dude, Fitz washing out and Jets failing aren't mutually exclusive. You celebrate one, you're celebrating the other, no matter how many posts you burn trying to spin it otherwise.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Sorry dude, Fitz washing out and Jets failing aren't mutually exclusive. You celebrate one, you're celebrating the other, no matter how many posts you burn trying to spin it otherwise.

You can look at it anyway you want. I knew this was coming because I know Fitz...so it's easier to deal with since the organization paid to flush the season down the toilet bowl. Why should I feel bad for what I already Knew? Might as well make lemonade you know?

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Of course it's the GM and Head Coach "faults" - but someone gave them false security at the QB positoin which made them think they could take their time with long term projects.  

there is no way fitz's presence influenced the hack pick.  he reached for an alleged elite talent who needs work, his diamond in the rough, w/o sacrificing a first rounder.   unless petty or hack show something this season there will be immense pressure from everywhere to draft another qb in the first round next year and then we'll see just how much love there is for these 2 young guys.

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

And he gave them every reason last year, he had a great year, performed at a high rate and was just the kind of perform now and mentor guy you want.  Their fault was not realizing he has been and up and down guy all his career and his great year was unsustainable.

there is no way fitz's presence influenced the hack pick.  he reached for an alleged elite talent who needs work, his diamond in the rough, w/o sacrificing a first rounder.   unless petty or hack show something this season there will be immense pressure from everywhere to draft another qb in the first round next year and then we'll see just how much love there is for these 2 young guys.

Well, we just disagree.  I think the presence of Fitz was the exact reason that BigMac reached in the 2nd round.  He wanted Hack, didnt want to miss him and didnt care he was a long term project because this regime actually believed in Fitz.  I think it influenced the Petty pick as well.  2 players not ready for the NFL to an assumed QB needy team?  You only do that if you think you have time.  I'd even argue the Lee pick was influenced by being fooled by Fitz...but we can just stick with the QB for now.

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You can look at it anyway you want. I knew this was coming because I know Fitz...so it's easier to deal with since the organization paid to flush the season down the toilet bowl. Why should I feel bad for what I already Knew? Might as well make lemonade you know?

You are not alone, I'm sure in "knowing this was coming". That's good for you, but to watch this nightmare and enjoy it is another story. I started a thread that predicts we will be 3-13. But I still hope to win right now. However, If we get to 1-7, it will tough to not want to look at the draft next year and want a top pick.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

And he gave them every reason last year, he had a great year, performed at a high rate and was just the kind of perform now and mentor guy you want.  Their fault was not realizing he has been and up and down guy all his career and his great year was unsustainable.

Meh, the "great" and "mentor" stuff is highly debatable.

But you're 100% in the the fact they got fooled by Fitz.

12 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I've imagined it, and I was right. The sh*t didn't work. 

Teams throw rookies out there day one and you're nervous because you have a rookie and 2 other QB's who've been in the system for a full year. 

Grow some balls or don't imagine yourself in that seat. 

lol great response.  

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well, we just disagree.  I think the presence of Fitz was the exact reason that BigMac reached in the 2nd round.  He wanted Hack, didnt want to miss him and didnt care he was a long term project because this regime actually believed in Fitz.  I think it influenced the Petty pick as well.  2 players not ready for the NFL to an assumed QB needy team?  You only do that if you think you have time.  I'd even argue the Lee pick was influenced by being fooled by Fitz...but we can just stick with the QB for now.

no way fitz influenced the petty pick b/c at the time mccags thought geno was the clear starter.  one thing that you can connect the dots with is that mccags had intel from o'brien about this kid and drank the cool aid.  and truth, it seemed reasonable that he could get through this year with fitz and geno and maybe petty.  

16 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

You are not alone, I'm sure in "knowing this was coming". That's good for you, but to watch this nightmare and enjoy it is another story. I started a thread that predicts we will be 3-13. But I still hope to win right now. However, If we get to 1-7, it will tough to not want to look at the draft next year and want a top pick.

To enjoy it in the way you and others are wording it isn't correct, I'm not going to continue clarifying. This will be my last. I'm a Jets fan. I'm a fan of a team that has found ways to squander numerous opportunities. 

With that said, my enjoyment is of the same ilk that jets fans had last year while they found it necessary to exaggerate, misconstrue and just plainly ignore what I was saying.

My enjoyment is based on that hate/nonsense then while watching what I and a few others said back when it wasn't popular. It has nothing to do with what people are now (yet again) making my words out to be. 

It will continue though....and I will continue to enjoy anyway. Hope you understand/accept the difference.

Hey as I said a number of times the best thing in the world is to be one of the Droning Fitzpatrick bashers.  You can't possibly lose, if the team does well like it did last year you come into a thread with your pom poms and say how much of a jet fan you are, if the QB falls on his ass you are even more happy.

At least now the worm has turned and all of us Geno bashers can do the same thing.  Life has improved!

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Hey as I said a number of times the best thing in the world is to be one of the Droning Fitzpatrick bashers.  You can't possibly lose, if the team does well like it did last year you come into a thread with your pom poms and say how much of a jet fan you are, if the QB falls on his ass you are even more happy.

At least now the worm has turned and all of us Geno bashers can do the same thing.  Life has improved!

Hey, enjoy the season! 

59 minutes ago, Warfish said:

/shrug.

Calling Fitz turrible is not that bad or a word, tbqh. 

raw

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

no way fitz influenced the petty pick b/c at the time mccags thought geno was the clear starter.  one thing that you can connect the dots with is that mccags had intel from o'brien about this kid and drank the cool aid.  and truth, it seemed reasonable that he could get through this year with fitz and geno and maybe petty.  

Possibly but again, Geno and Fitz were on the roster.  He traded for a player he's familiar with and they obviously at one point had some confidence in Geno.  I'm just going to disagree with you here.  You dont draft a project QB unless you feel like you have some type of stability at the QB position. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Possibly but again, Geno and Fitz were on the roster.  He traded for a player he's familiar with and they obviously at one point had some confidence in Geno.  I'm just going to disagree with you here.  You dont draft a project QB unless you feel like you have some type of stability at the QB position. 

I would say halfway yes and no. If you think a kid is the goods, even in the absence of stability at the position I think it's ok to draft a project. However it is not ok to do that in back to back drafts at that non-stabalized position. The only way out is to then throw a kid out there while he's still nailing down his friggin' mechanics, cut one prematurely, carry 4 QBs, or just don't go with the pretense that one (or either of two) of the team's non-stable QB options actually makes/keeps one a serious contender:

• Entering 2015 draft we have Geno as the team's only QB. We pick up Ryan Fitzpatrick and draft a project in round 4.
  • Entering 2016 we have Fitz unsigned, Geno and that round 4 project, and draft yet another project - this time in round 2 - before bringing back an injury-prone Ryan Fitzpatrick for double or triple his worth. Being injury-prone is not insignificant, since we have to truly accept the decent possibility of the #2 QB getting the job early in the season.

Draft one project QB? OK. You can keep a raw project as the #3 QB for 2 years.

Draft two of them in back to back drafts? Not OK. Now you need two #3 QB slots to carry them both without danger of inserting ahead of schedule.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Hey it only a few weeks before we can all become Petty Bashers! Lol

Archived