Jets' Sheldon Richardson explains why he was playing middle linebacker

Gas2No99

Jets' Sheldon Richardson explains why he was playing middle linebacker

GLENDALE, Ariz — Last week, when it became clear David Harris wasn't going to play for the Jets against the Cardinals, coach Todd Bowles began putting together a plan of attack to mask the linebacker's absence. 

Erin Henderson and Darron Lee would start, he told the media, while veteran Bruce Carter worked in in specific packages. 

In Monday night's 28-3 loss, those three things did in fact happened. But the Jets also deployed a fourth body in the rotation. A 6-3, 293-pound body. 

Defensive end Sheldon Richardson. 

"I make plays," Richardson said when asked why he played middle linebacker. "That was the thought process."

Richardson's reps at middle linebacker were the latest footnote in the Jets' never-ending search to find a home for him on defense. A 3-4 defensive end by nature, Richardson plays just about everything but 3-4 defensive end. 

In an attempt to get Richardson, along with fellow ends Muhammad Wilkerson and Leonard Williams, on the field together, Richardson has played a myriad of positions: 3-4 defensive end and nose tackle, 4-3 defensive end and defensive tackle, outside linebacker, roaming linebacker, and now, middle linebacker. 

The issue? Richardson hasn't been productive in any of those roles. In five games, he has 21 tackles and half a sack. In 2014, when he played 3-4 defensive end for an entire season, he had 66 tackles, eight sacks and earned a Pro Bowl invitation. 

"[The coaches] are trying to put me in a position to make plays," Richardson said.

Harris is expected to return to practice this week, and play against the Ravens on Sunday. While Richardson will likely continue to move all around on defense, his days as a middle linebacker are probably numbered. 

And odds are, he won't have any problem giving the inside job back to Harris. The Jets allowed Cardinals running back David Johnson to run for 111 yards and three touchdowns Monday night.

"That was the first 100-yard rusher we've allowed," Richardson said. "Yeah, [Harris] was missed."

As annoying as he can be, Mike Francesca made a great point yesterday when talking about the Jets D-Line.  Their biggest problem is they have too many of the same players in Leo, Mo and Sheldon and he's right.  They're trying to find a place for him and I think unfortunately they're gonna have to move him.  I was all for the Mo signing but seeing the way he's been playing I'm wondering if the Jets made the wrong move.  Sheldon plays 100% on every play and yes, he's gotten in some trouble I'll take his effort on the field any day.  Maybe with Mo Wilk signed they could still move him but it's more likely Sheldon's a goner soon.

We have a play maker who is a dlineman, we have no clue in how to get him into the game at the position he should play because of our schemzzzz  therefore for lets stick him in spots he is totally unsuited for.

Just awful coaching and roster planning.  Pure awful.  not only does it put Richardson in poor spots to play it wastes some of the guys we have gone our of our way to draft at LB.

I still don't understand why they don't stick to a BASIC 4-3 alignment. The argument I heard is that because we don't have the "proper" LBs, but it can be done:

LE - Mo Wilkerson

3 Technique DT - Leonard Williams

DT - McLendon

RE - Sheldon Richardson

ROLB - Jenkins

MLB - Harris 

LOLB - Henderson/Lee

It's not OPTIMAL, but sufficient and has all the DLine talent at more natural positions doing what they do best ON THE D LINE.

30 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I still don't understand why they don't stick to a BASIC 4-3 alignment. The argument I heard is that because we don't have the "proper" LBs, but it can be done:

LE - Mo Wilkerson

DT - McLendon

RE - Sheldon Richardson

ROLB - Jenkins

MLB - Harris 

LOLB - Henderson/Lee

It's not OPTIMAL, but sufficient and has all the DLine talent at more natural positions doing what they do best ON THE D LINE.

I agree with this. I know the coaches are trying to be creative but we're basically wasting one of the most talented players on the team. It's ridiculous.

35 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

LE - Mo Wilkerson

DT - McLendon

RE - Sheldon Richardson

ROLB - Jenkins

MLB - Harris 

LOLB - Henderson/Lee

The problem is that jenkins and lee are not great 4-3 lb prospects and mauldin that has been totally shuffled out of the picture is not there at all.

I wanted us to go 4-3 the last few years until we went out of our way to draft 3 3-4 LBs.

I'd rather rotate along a 3 man front or stick someone else at NT than mclendon and make proper use of our LB's

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

They misuse this guy and he still has more heart and hustle in him than anyone else on the defense: http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Inside-the-Film-Room-Calvin-Pryor-Blitz/cb1eb0a3-e7b4-4136-bd03-5cdb3baf3591

I agree he plays as hard as anyone for 300 lbs. But bc of where he is on the field, half the time you get the impression he's not hustling. But he is. Amazingly only the ******* New York Jets can create a situation where you have an All Pro Talent who looks like dogsh*t due to personnel and scheme. 

8 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

LE - Mo Wilkerson

DT - McLendon

RE - Sheldon Richardson

ROLB - Jenkins

MLB - Harris 

LOLB - Henderson/Lee

LE - Mo Wilkerson

DT - McLendon

RE - Sheldon Richardson

ROLB - Pryor/Henderson

MLB - Harris/Henderson

LOLB - Lee/Carter

Fixed

5 hours ago, HessStation said:

I agree he plays as hard as anyone for 300 lbs. But bc of where he is on the field, half the time you get the impression he's not hustling. But he is. Amazingly only the ******* New York Jets can create a situation where you have an All Pro Talent who looks like dogsh*t due to personnel and scheme. 

And he doesn't bitch, even though he has every right to.  Say what you want to say about him, but he's a team player and good teammate.

9 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

LE - Mo Wilkerson

DT - McLendon

RE - Sheldon Richardson

ROLB - Jenkins

MLB - Harris 

LOLB - Henderson/Lee

No clue why this change has not taken place yet, the coaching staff is lost. As you said its not optimal, but it would be so much better than having Sheldon chasing people down every other down. Its incredible that this has not happened yet. 

9 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

LE - Mo Wilkerson

DT - McLendon

RE - Sheldon Richardson

ROLB - Jenkins

MLB - Harris 

LOLB - Henderson/Lee

8 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Stop experimenting and use a ******* 4-3 base. 

Did you guys notice that when Richardson is on the field it is basically a 4-3?  I mean putting him at MLB is a bit different, but lining him up outside?  That is 4 linemen and 3 LBs.  It hasn't worked

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Did you guys notice that when Richardson is on the field it is basically a 4-3?  I mean putting him at MLB is a bit different, but lining him up outside?  That is 4 linemen and 3 LBs.  It hasn't worked

Sheldon occasionally played 3-4 OLB last year which I can understand

4-3 MLB is retarded

13 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

As annoying as he can be, Mike Francesca made a great point yesterday when talking about the Jets D-Line.  Their biggest problem is they have too many of the same players in Leo, Mo and Sheldon and he's right.  They're trying to find a place for him and I think unfortunately they're gonna have to move him.  I was all for the Mo signing but seeing the way he's been playing I'm wondering if the Jets made the wrong move.  Sheldon plays 100% on every play and yes, he's gotten in some trouble I'll take his effort on the field any day.  Maybe with Mo Wilk signed they could still move him but it's more likely Sheldon's a goner soon.

He also got a caller talking about Richardson playing MLB and Francesca blew him off for saying that Richardson played MLB.

21 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

LE - Mo Wilkerson

DT - McLendon

RE - Sheldon Richardson

ROLB - Jenkins

MLB - Harris 

LOLB - Henderson/Lee

Exactly.....The idea is, if you have the talent for 4-3 base, RUN a 4-3 base.  If you have the guys doing what they do best, it should make up for the less-then-ideal linebacker situation.  That is better than running a 3-4 just to get Richardson out there, but putting him as a LB, which its failure ranks high on the epic scale.

I have NEVER understood coaches that are married to a particular scheme, and dropping good talent because they do not 'fit' a particular scheme.  Work with what you have, and gradually change to what you prefer. 

Like many others have said we need to go back to being a 3-4 d and rotate our guys in and out. Having fresh quality de's is a huge advantage in the game and we squander it because we want to have all the flashy names on the field at the same time. Well guess what Bowles, all those flashy names playing at the same time suck so time to change it.

People want to complain about fitz and trust me he is a huge problem this team is getting rid of. The defense however after putting so much of the teams resources in it over the years is an absolute joke. We have a bunch of names, no body earning that name week in and week out, its absolutely pathetic.

21 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The problem is that jenkins and lee are not great 4-3 lb prospects and mauldin that has been totally shuffled out of the picture is not there at all.

I wanted us to go 4-3 the last few years until we went out of our way to draft 3 3-4 LBs.

I'd rather rotate along a 3 man front or stick someone else at NT than mclendon and make proper use of our LB's

Geez, what the hell happened to Mauldin?  Wasn't every one drooling all over themselves last year about what a star he is going to be?

Archived