Jets Reportedly Want Trubisky

Adoni Beast

6 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Not as odd as it may seem.  The year the Jets drafted Joe Namath in the first round, they also drafted John Huarte, who had just won the Heisman Trophy at QB in the second round, Bob Schweikert, another major college QB, in the 4th round, and Ivy League sensation, (though the Ivy League was even less regarded in pro football circles than now), Archie Roberts in the 7th.  I remember reading an article about that where  owner Sonny Werblin said he had seen the need for the team to have a QB and he meant to address the issue with the draft.  He did. 

His approach worked out well back then.  Why not cut these new guys some slack?  If they see a QB they want, go after him.

I don't think they knew if namath would sign w/ them even though they drafted him plus teams had many more picks back in that era.  I think that team had 20 draft picks so it was easier to draft multiple QBs BUT I do think they should keep trying until they get it right.  if they truly love the guy(it's so early and who knows w/ these reports) and he's available they should take him.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I don't think they knew if namath would sign w/ them even though they drafted him plus teams had many more picks back in that era. 

True, the AFL was still in a bidding war with the NFL.  But the principle still remains about going for the leader of the team.  Once Namath worked out, I read another article about owner Sonny Werblin and when asked about going after the QB, Werblin, (who was from show business), said that he didn't mind shelling out the money for all those QBs to sign.  He said the biggest mistake a lot of owners make is that they keep trying to stick with players who don't work out.  Werblin said, if the guy isn't going to be what you thought, cut your losses and move on to the next one.

That seems to be something this Front Office might be doing.  I hope Petty and Hackenberg work out too, but if they decide to give up on them because they think a better talent is out there, do it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I think we're all interested to see what Petty has and how he develops, but is anyone really so attached to him right now that they'd be outraged at the thought of another QB being added?

Jets twitter is in love with the guy. Whenever I look for a more casual look into the mind of Jets fans I look at my dad, and he still wants to talk about Petty's second half.

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

I think we're all interested to see what Petty has and how he develops, but is anyone really so attached to him right now that they'd be outraged at the thought of another QB being added?

The people that will inevitably be outraged, are really the types that know it'll be them. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that even when they are outraged, they'll probably not realize it, but will most definitely suggest that everyone else is outraged over and over and over... 

Just now, Beerfish said:

The laughable thing is people saying stay away from a guy trending upwards who is looking better as time goes in in college but are still on the Hack bandwagon.  :lol:

Please produce a Venn diagram that illustrates the overlap between people not wanting Trubinsky, but still on Hack bandwagon. I have a terrible time following these generalizations sometimes, as more often than not, they might about to a fraction of a percentage of the people that post. 

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

I would hope by now it's been mentioned, but has anyone considered that a Jets staffer fed this to Manish in order to see how Petty reacts to negative press... ?

I am sure someone fed it whether a Jets person for whatever reason or someone from an opposing team but Petty had to sit through us taking Hack and all the Fitz stuff this year, I don't think they will learn anything additional by floating this story.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I am sure someone fed it whether a Jets person for whatever reason or someone from an opposing team but Petty had to sit through us taking Hack and all the Fitz stuff this year, I don't think they will learn anything additional by floating this story.

or, maybe they will... 

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The people that will inevitably be outraged, are really the types that know it'll be them. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that even when they are outraged, they'll probably not realize it, but will most definitely suggest that everyone else is outraged over and over and over... 

Look about 4 posts up from, this one .... Unitedwhofan.  I thought even you could manage to see that one since he quote you.

This guy is supposed to be pretty good. So was Hack in terms of being a prospect. But he wasn't ready. Hopefully we take the best player available and not another project. I would love to trade down and build up our O line. Higher draft picks for more than one O-lineman. The way Dallas did it and we did ten years ago. 

14 hours ago, stoicsentry said:

I still don't understand how you draft a QB in the 2nd round that you know is a major project then give up on him only a half a season later, without giving him any practice time and without trying to fix the mechanics that you knew were broken when you drafted him. 

Where does it say anyone has given up on him?

Thats the interpretation of some, no a fact

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

On one hand we have the idea floating around that we cant draft another QB because we drafted one a 4 two years ago and at 2 last year.  Whats Hack to think?  How can we do this to him? Have we given up on him, and why so soon

On a different day, a different debate we have people killing the Jets for not drafting David Carr a year after drafting Geno.  

And we all know that if Trubiski isn't drafted and he turns into a franchise QB will be ripped to shreds for not drafting another QB, why did we pass.

A GM cant win for trying with this fanbase

• Upvote 1

They won't touch this kid in the first round if they take him in the second I wouldn't care. Macc clearly said his philosophy was to draft a qb every year and create a pipeline. My guess though is that this is just reporters scraping up anything they can for a story, it is way too early for there to be much truth behind it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

It's still my belief that the Jets have no intention of drafting a QB this year.
They are going to go after a FA and which one they go after will tell us in which direction they are going.
If it's one of the old farts like Romo or whom ever, then they are still on the quick fix make the playoffs track.
If it's Glennon, which I hope it is, then they are going with retooling with youth. In this direction we could see a serious house cleaning of many of the older vets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

On one hand we have the idea floating around that we cant draft another QB because we drafted one a 4 two years ago and at 2 last year.  Whats Hack to think?  How can we do this to him? Have we given up on him, and why so soon

On a different day, a different debate we have people killing the Jets for not drafting David Carr a year after drafting Geno.  

And we all know that if Trubiski isn't drafted and he turns into a franchise QB will be ripped to shreds for not drafting another QB, why did we pass.

A GM cant win for trying with this fanbase

Depends on the fan, honestly.

I've been saying for years to draft one every year until you KNOW you have one.

I can't believe there are some fans insisting the team shouldn't do this because we've used a 4th and a 2nd on Petty and Hack..

Taking another QB doesn't say they've given up on Petty and/or Hack, it's saying the they aren't sure yet, which they shouldn't be.  As long as they're not sure, they should keep drafting them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Depends on the fan, honestly.

I've been saying for years to draft one every year until you KNOW you have one.

I can't believe there are some fans insisting the team shouldn't do this because we've used a 4th and a 2nd on Petty and Hack..

Taking another QB doesn't say they've given up on Petty and/or Hack, it's saying the they aren't sure yet, which they shouldn't be.  As long as they're not sure, they should keep drafting them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm agreeing here.  Just find it interesting that some are saying we can't or saying that it's either a slap to Hack and Pattys abilities while we should have drafted Carr or Bridgewater after drafting a QB the year before.  

Until we know for sure what we have in Hack or Petty keep drafting.  There's no downside to having two, three or four stud, young QBs on the roster.  You'll get their draft spot and more back in trade. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm agreeing here.  Just find it interesting that some are saying we can't or saying that it's either a slap to Hack and Pattys abilities while we should have drafted Carr or Bridgewater after drafting a QB the year before.  

Until we know for sure what we have in Hack or Petty keep drafting.  There's no downside to having two, three or four stud, young QBs on the roster.  You'll get their draft spot and more back in trade. 

Yeah, I figured we were i agreement here.  I was just pointing out that it's a fan to fan basis.  I think a good number of fans are in favor of taking QB's until you know you have one.  I think that's Mac's plan.

If I had to bet money, I'd say they go BPA in round 1, then best QB available in rd. 2.

We shall see.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yeah, I figured we were i agreement here.  I was just pointing out that it's a fan to fan basis.  I think a good number of fans are in favor of taking QB's until you know you have one.  I think that's Mac's plan.

If I had to bet money, I'd say they go BPA in round 1, then best QB available in rd. 2.

We shall see.

Unfortunately there isn't that consensus, can't miss QB this year.  One caveat, up to now.  Also interesting is people were saying the exact same things a year ago.  I remember most people said there were no 1s and we should tank this season to go for Watson.  

Now most want to stay away from Watson while we wait to see if the next Wentz or Goff to emerges. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Unfortunately there isn't that consensus, can't miss QB this year.  One caveat, up to now.  Also interesting is people were saying the exact same things a year ago.  I remember most people said there were no 1s and we should tank this season to go for Watson.  

Now most want to stay away from Watson while we wait for the next Wentz or Goff to emerge. 

Yup.  I think that's going to be a regular thing.  Everyone likes to say there's no QB worth taking.  Saw a scout the other day saying people were "over-thinking" Watson and he's absolutely a top-five talent.  Saw another say he's been overrated all year, a 3rd rd talent.

Crazy how some of these guys, who have been NFL scouts, can be this far apart in their evaluation.

• Upvote 2

the Jets front office is all about BAP at the top end, they won't reach for a QB.  If value was there, they'd take him but not sure Trubisky fits that heavy label of top 5

However the lead that their interest is probably real, GMs travel to games and it's not a national secret when they do... Maybe they are hoping for another Hackenberg type of pick and evaluating guys who might be there top of 2nd/3rd. 

On 12/14/2016 at 3:57 PM, gEYno said:

I just don't see someone named "Mitch" being a quality NFL starter.

Guess what, his name is "Mitchell". Is that better " GAY"no?? What a stupid thing to say. Anyone would be lucky to have Mitchell on their team, and you will eat your words this time next year, I guarantee that.

On 12/14/2016 at 3:53 PM, Adoni Beast said:

It is from Manish...so grain of salt.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-hot-north-carolina-mitch-trubisky-article-1.2910818?utm_content=buffer0915f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDNSports+Twitter

The Jets’ never-ending search for a franchise quarterback has taken them to Tobacco Road, where a guy you've probably never heard of might be the answer to their problems.

The word in NFL circles is that Woody Johnson's star-crossed franchise has the hots for North Carolina junior quarterback Mitch Trubisky.

Plenty can change in the next four months, but Gang Green is extremely intrigued by the athletic, strong-armed signal caller who hasn't even officially declared for the 2017 draft yet.

They got their eyes set on the North Carolina quarterback," one rival scout told the Daily News. "The Jets are all over this kid. All over him. They'll probably deny it if you ask, but they love that kid. That's their guy. They're not going to get him though, because I think that kid is going to get over-drafted."

The NFL draft world is littered with armchair general managers churning out endless mock drafts, but it's no secret that Mike Maccagnan & Co. are in the market for a quarterback. There's a growing sense on One Jets Drive that the future franchise signal caller doesn't reside in the building.

Rookie Christian Hackenberg isn't close to being ready to play in a real game, prompting questions about the wisdom of selecting him in the second round eight months ago.

Bryce Petty kicked off his four-game audition with an uneven performance in a come-from-behind win in San Francisco a few days ago, but team decision makers aren’t sold that he's the right guy for the job in 2017.

"Trying to train a quarterback in the fire… that's not the way you get it done," said Charley Casserly, who consulted Johnson in his search for a new coach and general manager two years ago. "You got to get it done in the offseason and bring him in and build him up. That's the ideal way to do it. Obviously, they're going to play (Petty) for four games and see how he progresses and then make the decision."

"Anything he does would NOT influence my draft decision," Casserly added. "That's my opinion. If there's a quarterback in a round you like, I'd take him anyway. The more, the merrier and we'll figure this thing out. It doesn't seem like there's a guy in the draft where they're picking (in the first round) that is the answer to the problem unfortunately."

The 4-9 Jets are positioned to get a Top 6 pick in a draft with a mediocre quarterback class. Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer, Clemson's Deshaun Watson and Trubisky are the headliners right now, but the evaluation process hasn't kicked into hire gear. (A few years ago, Geno Smith was considered the No. 1 overall pick by some at this point on the NFL calendar).

The Jets have yet to meet as an organization to discuss juniors or set internal grades.

"Last year when I watched Goff, I said there's no way this guy is the first pick in the draft," one personnel director said. "But you just never know."

He should stay in school for his senior year. 

6 hours ago, Jernejcic said:

Guess what, his name is "Mitchell". Is that better " GAY"no?? What a stupid thing to say. Anyone would be lucky to have Mitchell on their team, and you will eat your words this time next year, I guarantee that.

Lol.  This is what you signed up for?

• Upvote 1