So Bowles is walking out Sheldon and Wilk as captains?

Pointdexter

I really liked the todd bowles hire at the time. And I would normally be very much against firing a guy after year 2. Even with the team quitting I normally wouldn't pin 100% on TB. But Bowles continues to play these guys even though they are chronically late for meetings and apparently don't give a rat's ass about being leaders.  Now we find out TB decided to walk these clowns out as our team captains.

To me this is fireable. He has lost touch with the team. You're appointing the same guy as team leader as the guy who is snap chatting before the game he doesn't give a shiz. Allowing TB to remain on and to allow guys like Marshall, Wilk, and Sheldon to cancer this team, would be a big mistake. Continuing to start Fitz is just more evidence he doesn't get it.

Time to move on and get a true fresh start.

6 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

I really liked the todd bowles hire at the time. And I would normally be very much against firing a guy after year 2. Even with the team quitting I normally wouldn't pin 100% on TB. But Bowles continues to play these guys even though they are chronically late for meetings and apparently don't give a rat's ass about being leaders.  Now we find out TB decided to walk these clowns out as our team captains.

To me this is fireable. He has lost touch with the team. You're appointing the same guy as team leader as the guy who is snap chatting before the game he doesn't give a shiz. Allowing TB to remain on and to allow guys like Marshall, Wilk, and Sheldon to cancer this team, would be a big mistake. Continuing to start Fitz is just more evidence he doesn't get it.

wait, what happened?

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

I wouldn't say team but head coach? Nah.

Name one redeeming quality to this team. 

At least Cleveland can say a third of their roster is rookies. 

There is literally no reason to watch this team. No good young players, the old players don't give a sh*t, they play devoid of emotion. Bowles has got to go.

5 minutes ago, PS17 said:

There is literally no reason to watch this team. No good young players, the old players don't give a sh*t, they play devoid of emotion. Bowles has got to go.

No good young players lol? Anderson, Petty has promise, Burris has promise, Leonard ******* Williams lol, you forget about him? We have a good solid player in Q. Enuwa. Powell is a beast. Wilkerson is still who he is. I won't say he regressed until I see next season. He's coming off a broke leg. I'm not saying Bowles should stay. I think he should go too but dude, do NOT act like we don't have SOME players who are good or for that matter young players who are good.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

No good young players lol? Anderson, Petty has promise, Burris has promise, Leonard ******* Williams lol, you forget about him? We have a good solid player in Q. Enuwa. Powell is a beast. Wilkerson is still who he is. I won't say he regressed until I see next season. He's coming off a broke leg. I'm not saying Bowles should stay. I think he should go too but dude, do NOT act like we don't have SOME players who are good or for that matter young players who are good.

+1 

Awful season, there's absolutely no denying it. But there is definitely young talent on this football team, we'll have a top 5 pick in every round, we'll cut those dead end veterans to spend money on players who deserve it, and most importantly we'll have a fresh start. People underestimate or fail to realize that seasons like this tend to spiral out of control and everybody looks a lot worse than what they actually are.

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I know I'll get down voted for this, but here's reality:

Anderson is unproven. Completely unproven. I think he can be good, but he could just as easily be a nobody. Petty hasn't shown he can be an above-average QB. Every QB seems to have "flashes". Doesn't mean anything. Again, not saying he won't be good, but he could just as easily be a nobody. Burris has shown some promise, but we're talking Marcus Williams promise, not Darrelle Revis promise. Williams will be a star for the next decade or so. Almost certain of it. Enunwa certainly had a breakout year, but has by no means demonstrated that he can be a top player. I hope he can, but who knows. Powell is underrated by most of the league, overrated by Jets fans. I think enough of him that I believe he should be the starter, but he's also getting up there in age, and is by no means a building block. Wilk is having a terrible year, and his post-contract attitude and lack of effort shows us what is to come, IMO.

The only one on that list that we can be certain about is Williams. Outside of that, we have zero guaranteed building blocks.

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

+1 

Awful season, there's absolutely no denying it. But there is definitely young talent on this football team, we'll have a top 5 pick in every round, we'll cut those dead end veterans to spend money on players who deserve it, and most importantly we'll have a fresh start. People underestimate or fail to realize that seasons like this tend to spiral out of control and everybody looks a lot worse than what they actually are.

One of the more talented group of receivers that this team has had in quite some time.  This may have been a different year if we started a quarterback that could stretch the field.  Powell and forte could have had better years as well.  Maybe score some points and take the pressure off of our D to be perfect.  We have some players... Just need to get more. I like Mac I think he can get the players....

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

+1 

100% correct. Add to the fact that a number of players were clearly not properly utilized. Particularly on the defensive side of the ball. Sheldon playing LB, Skrine playing on the outside, Revis giving massive cushion (although that is probably his choice and not coaching), Harris in man coverage on TEs and RBs (at least earlier in the season until Lee got most of that responsibility), and a general refusal to play younger players NOT despite the team being practically out of the playoffs (i'll give that a pass), but despite the veteran starters playing like absolute CRAP (Revis and Fitz in particular).

So, you not only have the team itself look a lot worse as the season spirals out of control but you have individual players having bad seasons, looking like they have no impact, because of the way they are being used.  

This team has talent. This team needs production and stability at the QB position DESPERATELY. That's half the battle. Hoping Petty, Hack, a rookie, or whoever the Jets get in FA can bring that to the team. 

The Jets will find themselves in a situation this offseason where they can move on from a  number of highly paid veterans and free up a ton of cap space without losing much production. What I mean is, guys like Mangold and Clady are critical to the team's success but W.Johnson has done a nice job filling in for Mangold and Clady is hurt anyway (with a history of injuries). Breno hasn't done much to deserve a starting gig, and is only in there b/c of player injury. Harris has brought stability but has also been a major liability in coverage. Revis is pretty much washed up. Fitz has been awful. Skrine has been awful (although I contend he was not properly used). 

We're left with Marshall, Decker, Richardson, Wilk, Gilchrist, Forte as the only other 'high salary' players. Marshall and Decker have been productive and are the Jets top 2 WRs. Not as good as last year, but they can obviously still get it done. Helps to have a good QB. Richardson and Wilk are obviously talented, regardless of the numbers they put up. Richardson may be traded and Wilk will most certainly bounce back in his career, I have no doubt. Forte had a very solid season. Looks like he still has plenty left in the tank. Gilchrist is a wildcard. Considering the talent level and salary, the Jets may elect to cut him. But he was the most stable part of the Jets secondary- although thats not saying much with how poorly they played all season (I will say though, they secondary was the most mismanaged group on the team and Rogers should have been fired a long time ago). I have no problem with keeping these guys. Possibly re-working some of their deals.    

So stripping this team of some of its older veterans and over-paid players will not necessarily hurt the talent and production level of this team. The Jets have a great opportunity to shed themselves of a ton of salary while upgrading at these positions. Its the type of thing that, IF DONE PROPERLY (and that will be on Macc's shoulders), can take a team like the Jets from 4-12 to 12-4. Of course, that QB stability will be critical.  

45 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Had a discussion with a fellow Jet fan the other day about who I would consider untouchable on our team.  A player who under no circumstances you would get rid of.  I couldn't think of anybody.  Sure you could say Williams has talent.  But is he an untouchable like Khalil Mack?  Not a chance.

I would have absolutely no problem getting rid of anyone on this current roster and starting from scratch. Most of them are either bums, JAGs or dopes.

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

These 'players coaches' just get played all the time.  If you are going to be a players coach and stick up for guys you also have to come down HARD when you think they are fing with you and benched for a series is not coming down hard.

Look at the GIANTS. havent had a players coach since when? perhaps Ray Handley?  They of course have their ups and downs but look at their record.

We have drafted in front of them for years and what do we have to show for it?

Yeah...I know, I await the "They have Eli" responses.  

58 minutes ago, PS17 said:

My sentiments exactly.  I believe Cleveland is a year ahead of the Jets with their rebuild.

If it wasn't for Robby Anderson, I would not watch at all.

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Look at the GIANTS. havent had a players coach since when? perhaps Ray Handley?  They of course have their ups and downs but look at their record.

We have drafted in front of them for years and what do we have to show for it?

Yeah...I know, I await the "They have Eli" responses.  

the Giants had missed 6 of 7 postseasons prior to this season.

since 2000 we have drafted in front of the Giants(w/o moving up in trades)

In 17 seasons since 2000 we have drafted in front of the Giants(w/o trading up) 9 times.  so how have we drafted in front of them for years?

they do have Eli, which is why they are so up and down b/c he is always so up and down.  can look like a HOFer one week and like an UDFA the next.  no consistency.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the Giants had missed 6 of 7 postseasons prior to this season.

since 2000 we have drafted in front of the Giants(w/o moving up in trades)

In 17 seasons since 2000 we have drafted in front of the Giants(w/o trading up) 9 times.  so how have we drafted in front of them for years?

they do have Eli, which is why they are so up and down b/c he is always so up and down.  can look like a HOFer one week and like an UDFA the next.  no consistency.

You and your stats..... they simply dont defend our futility unless you want an 8th place trophy.  They have SB appearances, victories and they rarely look in dissaray the way we do.   We have what 3 playoff appearances in the last 10 years?  They have at least that and 2 SB victories.  Its management.

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

You and your stats..... they simply dont defend our futility unless you want an 8th place trophy.  They have SB appearances, victories and they rarely look in dissaray the way we do.   We have what 3 playoff appearances in the last 10 years?  They have at least that and 2 SB victories.  Its management.

they got on fluky runs, they have not exhibited greatness and they have missed 6 of the last 7 postseasons in a weak division. we have been bad since 2012 but so have they. stop pretending they are the Pats.

39 minutes ago, LWC611 said:

One of the more talented group of receivers that this team has had in quite some time.  This may have been a different year if we started a quarterback that could stretch the field.  Powell and forte could have had better years as well.  Maybe score some points and take the pressure off of our D to be perfect.  We have some players... Just need to get more. I like Mac I think he can get the players....

the receivers are very good.  but i just want to point out for the umpteenth time that they could have the second coming of joe willie as qb and they still would have a bad record.  this team didn't get its record because fitz was qb.  it got it because the defensive secondary can't stop a nosebleed and oline just hasn't been very good.  not mention the two large malcontents that are wilk and sheldon.

i can understand bowles making sheldon and wilk captains for the game.  he is doing his level best to moivate these guys since if they play as well as they can the jets will win.  obviously the ploy didn't work.  sheldon is acting like he's from st louis and wilk is still feeling sorry for himself that he's not being paid enough.  now maybe this didn't work but not working also tells bowles who he wants in the locker room.  it would be great for the jets to trade both of these guys.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

they got on fluky runs, they have not exhibited greatness and they have missed 6 of the last 7 postseasons in a weak division. we have been bad since 2012 but so have they. stop pretending they are the Pats.

you're right IF ony they were not on Fluky runs. Its all a fluke for the last 25 years. IF only....  

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

The world according to nyjunc

Rex is a wonder god for getting to two afc title games

Coughlin is afwul winning two super bowls both times beating Brady and Bellichick.

Its 6th grade logic.  I have received better analysis from my children on why they weren't Valedic.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The world according to nyjunc

Rex is a wonder god for getting to two afc title games

Coughlin is afwul winning two super bowls both times beating Brady and Bellichick.

You forgot that Schitty also gets credit for two AFCCG appearances.

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

In Bowles' defense, Wilkerson did get a solo tackle against the Fish. So clearly he was motivated and had his best game of the season on Sunday. Wilkerson also almost had a QB Hurry but then he was he blocked. 

LMAO. I read on a BILLS site (sarcasm from a fan) that Sammy Watkins got a 1st down and Beckham is setting records.

11 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

you're right IF ony they were not on Fluky runs. Its all a fluke for the last 25 years. IF only....  

since Parcells left they have basically been like us.  a few good years, some down years, some awful years.  they are not the Pats, they are not the Steelers, they are not the Landry Cowboys.

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

since Parcells left they have basically been like us.  a few good years, some down years, some awful years.  they are not the Pats, they are not the Steelers, they are not the Landry Cowboys.

I never compared them to the PATS.   But other than the 3 SB appearances and 2 superbowl runs??  IF they simply didnt win. IF...........

1 hour ago, PCP63 said:

I know I'll get down voted for this, but here's reality:

Anderson is unproven. Completely unproven. I think he can be good, but he could just as easily be a nobody. Petty hasn't shown he can be an above-average QB. Every QB seems to have "flashes". Doesn't mean anything. Again, not saying he won't be good, but he could just as easily be a nobody. Burris has shown some promise, but we're talking Marcus Williams promise, not Darrelle Revis promise. Williams will be a star for the next decade or so. Almost certain of it. Enunwa certainly had a breakout year, but has by no means demonstrated that he can be a top player. I hope he can, but who knows. Powell is underrated by most of the league, overrated by Jets fans. I think enough of him that I believe he should be the starter, but he's also getting up there in age, and is by no means a building block. Wilk is having a terrible year, and his post-contract attitude and lack of effort shows us what is to come, IMO.

The only one on that list that we can be certain about is Williams. Outside of that, we have zero guaranteed building blocks.

This.

The Jets aren't going to be competitive for a few years.

10 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

They beat the Pats twice in the Super Bowl.  If you insist they're not top tier, they can't be that far below it.  I'll take it.

whoa...  they were 2 fluky runs say the self appointed expert.   Results mean nothing, hyperbole and what ifs are what is really key to being a good JETS fan and NFL fan.

1 hour ago, Pointdexter said:

Screw moving on, I love this team! Like other continuity fans on this board, this has been one of, if not my favorite season to watch Jets football! I had an absolute blast losing 34-13 Saturday night yet again before a National TV audience to a crappy team playing a back up QB, in fact, the only better time(s) I had watching my Jets play this season were the Indy  and KC games. In the dictionary under the word fun, it points those 2 games specifically! I absolutely LOVED them., and could not wait until the next game to have as much fun! There is no better feeling waking up the next morning after getting your asses handed to you, and reading that our superstar DT cares only for where da hoez is at. I agree with the continuity fans here as well and want Todd Bowles to be here forever. He is a great man, a great coach, and has done a great job! He is by far my favorite Jets coach of all time next to Richie the K.

As for our GM, who cares if the Giants built a Championship caliber defense right under our noses and have a great chance to appear in yet another Super Bowl? Who cares if they drafted a HOF WR, excellent corners and safety(s), and have won 10 out of 14 games with an OL that was supposed to be among the worst in the league? Who cares that you can automatically pencil NE winning the AFCE every year with JAG players the minute the previous season ends? Who cares that Miami just raced by us faster than a bullet, after we beat the tar out of them last season twice only because their CS sucked? I am a busy man anyway, I have no time for playoff games and Super Bowls.

I think Woody should sign both of these beasts to a minimum 10 year extension with both getting a "no fire or termination" clause so that we have continuity. Also, Mac must re-sign Richardson to a max contract as well, after all, he really is the master of bringing da hoez down! Also, we must always draft defensive linemen and play them out of position! It is fun! I have 100% faith in Todd and Mike that given another 5-10 years, we may improve, and may even make the playoffs once or twice, and even if they don't, we still have continuity!

15 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

They beat the Pats twice in the Super Bowl.  If you insist they're not top tier, they can't be that far below it.  I'll take it.

we'd all take those 2 SBs but they were not the best team either of those years, they just got hot at the right time and everything broke perfectly.  they are not a model franchise.

Archived