Reversal of fortunes

Tinstar

It's a funny or not so funny thing what has happened to the New York Jets and the New York Giants in just 1 off season . Last year, the giants were losing close games because their defense couldn't get off the field in timely situations and just couldn't close out games even when they had a lead going into the 4th quarter or at the end  of games .The Jets were having a solid season with a record setting offense and a defense playing just good enough to allow the offense to lead them to victory . The Jets were impossible to run against and solid enough in  pass defense . The giants defense was awful, just plain awful while they offense was showing signs of become a special unit .

During the off season, the jets made a calculated decision to allow their starting NT Damon Harrison to leave via free agency and to resign their pro bowl DE Mohammed Wilkerson believing that they could easily replace a player who controlled the middle of their DL allowing the DEs to work in one on 1 situations . The Giants meanwhile decided to bolster their defense by adding an edge rusher but most importantly, signing Harrison to clog the middle of their defense.

Fast forward to the end of the following season, and we find the Jets having one of the worst defenses in the league unable to mount any serious rush against the QB and being torched in their secondary . The defense while stout against the run for most of the season began cracking when teams attacked it inside out . The Giants meanwhile has become a defensive juggernaut, holding teams under 20 points per game and improving as the strength of the team .The Giants are on their way to the playoffs, while the Jets are on their way to possibly a new coaching staff and yet another attempt at rebuilding.

It's probably unfair to assume that 1 player is the reason why both teams fortunes have turned so drastically, but it sure is a funny reversal of fortunes . 

Not franchising Harrison is a move I think Macc deserves more blame for. He is the only true NT on the team, and we already had Richardson and Williams. Harrison would have been cheaper, he plays a different position than Wilk/Richardson/Williams, and it would have been our only opportunity to get rid of Wilk.

I think his character is far above Wilk and Sheldon, look at how he delivered on his contract. UDFA's don't think their the Sh*T because they aren't privileged 1st round picks

5 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

ehh Harrison would've helped but our run D is not the reason for our bad defense it's the secondary.  I still stand by the belief the Giants overpaid.

What is it about ...we could have tagged him and gotten rid of Wilk do you not understand?  This and the Fitz signing are Mac's two grievous sins in my book.

Run defense is the least of our worries. Secondary is the root of all our problems. Pass rusher would be nice to. 

Here's the thing, If you don't have a bona-fide elite Qb you're pretty much a slave to your schedule. Why is there such ridiculous parity in the NFL? Because of schedules. Last year easiest schedule = 10-6 this year hard schedule -  4-12? Who knows. But this is the main reason why teams fall off, get better quick, etc etc. The only way to buck this trend is have yourself an elite Qb and that pretty much guarantees 10 wins. 

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

It's a funny or not so funny thing what has happened to the New York Jets and the New York Giants in just 1 off season . Last year, the giants were losing close games because their defense couldn't get off the field in timely situations and just couldn't close out games even when they had a lead going into the 4th quarter or at the end  of games .The Jets were having a solid season with a record setting offense and a defense playing just good enough to allow the offense to lead them to victory . The Jets were impossible to run against and solid enough in  pass defense . The giants defense was awful, just plain awful while they offense was showing signs of become a special unit .

During the off season, the jets made a calculated decision to allow their starting NT Damon Harrison to leave via free agency and to resign their pro bowl DE Mohammed Wilkerson believing that they could easily replace a player who controlled the middle of their DL allowing the DEs to work in one on 1 situations . The Giants meanwhile decided to bolster their defense by adding an edge rusher but most importantly, signing Harrison to clog the middle of their defense.

Fast forward to the end of the following season, and we find the Jets having one of the worst defenses in the league unable to mount any serious rush against the QB and being torched in their secondary . The defense while stout against the run for most of the season began cracking when teams attacked it inside out . The Giants meanwhile has become a defensive juggernaut, holding teams under 20 points per game and improving as the strength of the team .The Giants are on their way to the playoffs, while the Jets are on their way to possibly a new coaching staff and yet another attempt at rebuilding.

It's probably unfair to assume that 1 player is the reason why both teams fortunes have turned so drastically, but it sure is a funny reversal of fortunes . 

the Jets tried very hard to re-sign Harrison and also tried to sign Vernon.  when those didn't work out they eventually got a deal w/ Mo.  

50 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

What is it about ...we could have tagged him and gotten rid of Wilk do you not understand?  This and the Fitz signing are Mac's two grievous sins in my book.

What good would tagging him do?  I think Dion Simon will be a good player, you don't pay a guy that much money to play half the snaps.  Giants D looks good but Harrison is far from the only reason.  It's obvious our running game has certainly suffered without him but our defense wouldn't be much better considering how our secondary has looked.  I'll also hold out hope that Mo puts it together next year coming off a full offseason to get in better shape and Sheldon is out the door.  As for Fitz, I think that whole situation is being overblown, if we didn't pay him we'd probably still be a 4-10 team right now but fans would be complaining we were cheap and should've brought back Fitz and with the way he played last year Macc was in a tough spot.  I think Macc did a good job holding his ground and not handcuffing us long term.  

To be fair, Macc did a great job replacing Snacks (who BTW we tried to re-sign but he wanted a boat load of money) with McLendon, who played great. 

So yeah, Snacks moved on and had a successful season. I still think Macc did the right thing. McLendon is a nice fill in and the Jets have Simon who is a nice young player that may be the future NT. And, for the record, I believe Wilk will have a bounce back season next year and he will be a dominant force for the Jets in the next 2-3-4 years. Signing him to a long term deal was the right move- IMO. 

Good for the Giants. I never had anything against the Giants and did not really understand how NYJ vs NYG was even a rivalry (other than both being 'NY' teams). In fact I LOVE that the Pats got beat by them in the SB. 

The Giants invested a ton of money in that defense. They took a chance and it paid off. Snacks, Jenkins, Cromartie, and Vernon were all big money FA signings. They also invested in the defense via the draft, bringing in Apple and Collins. They got a bit lucky with Kennard as well, getting him in the 5th. 

The invested in the defense via FA and the draft. And it paid off. It helps when you have a Franchise QB and a stud WR in Beckham (also drafted), as you can focus on the D without being worried about the Offense taking much of a back seat. I think the Giants O-line is still of concern, and we may see them take address that in FA and/or the draft in 2017. 

11 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

That pretty much says it all. Losing Snacks has basically nothing to do with why we've stunk this year. The run defense is the only aspect of the team that is decent. Everything else has fallen apart.

No, the run defense has fallen pretty good as well. The Jets went from 2nd last year in rush defense to 14th this year. That's a pretty steep drop.

22 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

No, the run defense has fallen pretty good as well. The Jets went from 2nd last year in rush defense to 14th this year. That's a pretty steep drop.

That would be applicable if the run defense had slipped due to runs right at NT. There we went from first to eight. Where we have really fallen off on the run is the right side (Wilkerson) and runs away from the line entirely. (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl)

You can't attribute the lack of open field tackles or what happens off the edges to the NT. I would agree that Snacks is better at NT but our drop off in run defense is largely attributable to the rest of the defense.

Archived