To Renew or NOT to Renew . . . STH how many are jumping ship?

Gas2No99

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

What the average fan fails to understand is that season ticket holders are in this for the long-haul and it's seasons like this one that make great seasons that much more enjoyable.

The reason the 2002 AFC East Championship and subsequent 41-0 demolition of the Colts felt so satisfying is because of the disappointments of the 1999, 2000, and 2001 seasons.

The reason the 2015 10-6 season felt so invigorating was because of the disappointments of the 2012, 2013, and 2014 seasons.

While those who quit being a season ticket holder can save a few dollars in losing years, they don't get the full emotional experience of the rise back to winning years because they weren't a part of the fabric of the team when they needed them the most and the sacrifice meant the most.  Deep down, they know they were disloyal for a spell, it comes back to haunt in a way that's more detrimental than the few dollars they saved.

SAR I

I actually agree with this.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a season ticket holder for many, many years. The only thing more delusional than thinking this team is capable of sustained success under the current ownership is ticket buyers who actually believe they are "part of the fabric of the team". 

You are not part of the Jets. They care only for you as much as the money you spend. Worse, they are a team devoid of identity and play in a stadium that provides nothing in terms of fan experience or home-field advantage. It was built to maximize luxury box revenue, and with absolutely nothing else in mind.

People seem to still have the mentality of 20 years ago, when the only way to attend games was to be a season ticket holder (or know one). Now, with the ease of the secondary market, improved home viewing experience, a sputtering economy, and now in our 5th decade of failure, not only can you easily acquire tickets to any game that fits your schedule, but you can do so at less than market value. Every time. I have no need to sit in a section of people who are "familiar". I have friends. I don't need to pay extra to pretend I have more that I see 8 times a year and barely interact with because there's a game on.

If the Jets proved to me that they were committed to winning, and capable of sustained success like the Denvers, Seattles, New Englands and Pittsburghs of the world, I'll consider it again. But until then, I'll go to a handful of games a year without wasting cash on preseason games and meaningless blowouts. I'll enjoy the hell out of some tailgates, then I'll enter to watch games without spending another penny on vending or merchandise ever again. Woody can blow me.

At the Devils game yesterday, I was able to skip the big lines getting in since my cousin is a STH.  Boy, oh boy, the Jets really should consider this.  Not sure if it would work as well if the proportion of STH vs. non-STH is different, or if it would be a CF implementing this at first.  Those aside, it was wonderful to pull up and park right across the street from the arena ($30, so pricey, but it was literally across one street) and then skip all lines and get right in.

Screw the bobbleheads - give us this, Jets!!

Had tix with my pop for almost 30 years. Dropped them after first season at MetLife. I jumped back in as a STH when they fired Rex. I was bullish on the new regime and have 4 great seats upstairs in a low row on the 35 yard line, but this year was truly horrendous from both a scheduling and performance standpoint.  Leaning towards dumping them again. Spending 5k a year seems unnecessary at this point.  I can just as easily go back to cherry picking games. I'll wait and see what happens. Perhaps they slash prices? I won't hold my breath, but without a PSL I consider myself a free agent.  We shall see...

51 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

Woody will grow hair on his head before that happens.

As i said immediately after, not holding my breath... but it's pretty obvious that the price of the season ticket is not at all aligned with actual market value.  Even in a "good" year demand is weak.  Season's like this, you cannot give these tickets away. Even the United Way kids must be like, "nah, I'll pass."

2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

As i said immediately after, not holding my breath... but it's pretty obvious that the price of the season ticket is not at all aligned with actual market value.  Even in a "good" year demand is weak.  Season's like this, you cannot give these tickets away. Even the United Way kids must be like, "nah, I'll pass."

You can take a $100 writeoff per ticket in the upper deck and buy a seat back for $8, its the best tax arbitrage of all time

16 hours ago, Maxman said:

I agree with @Cornfed, although I am still paying off my PSL. I think it is like $480 per year I give them.

I won't ever cancel. As long as I can 1) come even remotely close to affording it and 2) am healthy enough to go I will be there.

The results on the field have sucked but I have been going since 1988 or 1989. So many good memories with my Dad and now my son. Really feeling blessed that every flu or every stomach bug through all those years never stopped me from going. Just going to ride it out for as long as I can. Figure when I turn 95 I will stop going. :) Then I will just watch on TV. Nobody needs me driving an RV in the parking lot when I am 96, lol.

^^ like a boss

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

What the average fan fails to understand is that season ticket holders are in this for the long-haul and it's seasons like this one that make great seasons that much more enjoyable.

The reason the 2002 AFC East Championship and subsequent 41-0 demolition of the Colts felt so satisfying is because of the disappointments of the 1999, 2000, and 2001 seasons.

The reason the 2015 10-6 season felt so invigorating was because of the disappointments of the 2012, 2013, and 2014 seasons.

While those who quit being a season ticket holder can save a few dollars in losing years, they don't get the full emotional experience of the rise back to winning years because they weren't a part of the fabric of the team when they needed them the most and the sacrifice meant the most.  Deep down, they know they were disloyal for a spell, it comes back to haunt in a way that's more detrimental than the few dollars they saved.

SAR I

I beg to differ. We had tickets in the family since day one -I have been going since I was 3 so over 40 years-I have multiple psls including some of the best in the house-no bad season ever has benefits especially this one

9 hours ago, Lizard King said:

Ok, please clue me in on what long haul you and the esteemed poster are referring to?

I agree that the good times are certainly enhanced by trudging through the bad times. I sat in that dammed stadium through Coslett, Carroll (fake spike year) and Kotite. That made Watching the Parcells led Jets beat the Jags at home in the playoffs much sweeter. That's the point I think.

I hope this helps.

Forget the current crappy product (because if by some miracle the Jets find a franchise QB everyone, and their mother will be calling for season tickets), it's that Billion dollar disaster of a stadium they built, there isn't one thing good about it unless you are blessed to have access to a corporate box, if the stadium was like Jerry's world the amount of people complaining, and dropping season tickets and PSL's would be very little IMO.

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I agree that the good times are certainly enhanced by trudging through the bad times. I sat in that dammed stadium through Coslett, Carroll (fake spike year) and Kotite. That made Watching the Parcells led Jets beat the Jags at home in the playoffs much sweeter. That's the point I think.

I hope this helps.

It honestly doesn't. I sat through all of that sh*t too. Still haven't been to a Super Bowl.....25 years later and literally no better off. 

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Forget the current crappy product (because if by some miracle the Jets find a franchise QB everyone, and their mother will be calling for season tickets), it's that Billion dollar disaster of a stadium they built, there isn't one thing good about it unless you are blessed to have access to a corporate box, if the stadium was like Jerry's world the amount of people complaining, and dropping season tickets and PSL's would be very little IMO.

Here we go with this again.

Give me an itemized list of what is so great about Cowboy Stadium and what features you would ask for at MetLife in order for you to be happy. 

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Give me an itemized list of what is so great about Cowboy Stadium and what features you would ask for at MetLife in order for you to be happy. 

SAR I

The grass is always greener syndrom, its a Jets fan specialty.

57 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

1) Party Pass, which are end zone SRO tickets that start at $25. We can't even park for less than $40.

2) Total capacity of 105,000

3) Retracable roof

4) More restrooms, much cleaner

5) Superior, cheaper vending

6) HD monitors that stretch over 60 yards of field

7) Succesful franchise

Just off the top of my head

On 12/27/2016 at 11:13 PM, FlagmanL11 said:

Renewing so I can bitch about the crappy stadium, call for the coach to be fired and of course tailgate. Going to fly some flags upside down.  See below for official meaning... 

An American flag or for that matter any flag flown upside-down is considered a sign of distress... 

US Code:T36 Ch10.176 
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property. 

Opinions: 
Mutiny, piracy, sinking, coup, rebellion of the people/government. 
The fact that any flag flown upside-down means distress is not the whole story however... flags flown upside-down can and are used as a form of protest. 
The flag is a symbol of control and superiority. The use of such in any other way is considered "desecration."

I was going to do this a few weeks ago at the Colts game but my father was afraid they'd win and I would have to keep doing it every week so I didn't.

I'll be back but I also have first row upper level season tickets for a good price.  I only pay for my seat so it's easy for me. 

I have a kid coming in April and one day I look forward to bringing him with me.  I made it clear to my fiance' on the second date that I'm not home on football Sundays I am at the game with my sister and father.  She's fine with it (I think at times she may regret saying that).  In a few years I will be able to bring my son along with us for the torture.

I understand how a lot of fans feel though after this season.  6 of our first 9 games on the row and having two night games in December was tough.  Add to it the stadium being overloaded with Cheaters and Dolphins fans and our last two home games being blowouts.  This year just was NOT fun.  This stadium was not constructed properly and when the Jets lose it is discussed more.  If we win we don't mind being hearded in and out of the stadium like cattle with major delays.  If we lose we are miserable. 

Since the new stadium opened the Jets have plenty of tickets they sell to ticket liquidators (i.e. Prime Sports, Dynasty Sports & Entertainment, S4K Marketing, etc.)  This stadium was never sold out of PSLs or upper level seats but instead sold them to ticket liquidators since day 1.  A few years back I dated a girl who was working in the sales department who told me about their deal and how a few months before the season the place was barely half sold.  Don't believe me?  There are at least two people in this thread who know me off this board and know I wouldn't be making this stuff up. 

The marketing of this stadium back in 2008 when they made phone calls telling people they'd never sit in the upper deck and to save their PSL money ended the Jets season ticket holder joy.  There are parts of the stadium where people know everyone around them but there are other areas where it is all groups of different people each week. 

As long as my friends and family still go I will be there ready to go.  When they stop wanting to go I will probably re-evaluate things.

22 minutes ago, OH THE PAIN said:

Once it's in your blood , it's hard to stop . Like heroine .

Bingo! I've had season tickets since 1978, you know how much garbage football I've seen? I laugh at those "younger" fans who rip Woody, you should have been around in the Leon Hess years!!!

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Bingo! I've had season tickets since 1978, you know how much garbage football I've seen? I laugh at those "younger" fans who rip Woody, you should have been around in the Leon Hess years!!!

Leon Hess brought us bill parcells and it was the first time as  a jet and I had hope

11 hours ago, JetPotato said:

1) Party Pass, which are end zone SRO tickets that start at $25. We can't even park for less than $40.

2) Total capacity of 105,000

3) Retracable roof

4) More restrooms, much cleaner

5) Superior, cheaper vending

6) HD monitors that stretch over 60 yards of field

7) Succesful franchise

Just off the top of my head

Party Pass:  Gameday Jets tickets in a real seat, not SRO, can be had to any Jets game for $25, even when we have a good team.  This isn't a 'feature' of Cowboys Stadium, any team can add SRO.  It's actually a nuisance for fans paying full price to have their facility jammed with interlopers on the cheap.

Capacity:  You're the first person I've heard complaining that the stadium is too small.  Most feel that a building that can hold 82,500 that for both the Jets and Giants only averages 78,000 is too big.  Not to mention, the extra 20,000 seats in Cowboy Stadium are bolted onto the upper deck, they literally have an upper-upper deck, the views are awful way up there.

Roof:   We live in a perfect climate not to need a dome.  It's never so hot and humid that we need air conditioning (see Dallas, Houston, Arizona, Atlanta, New Orleans) and never so cold we need heat (see Minnesota, Detroit).  Only 8 domed stadiums in the NFL exist, and they are there for reasons we don't face in New York.

Restrooms:  I can only speak for the lower level and the mezzanine, but the bathrooms are clean and there are very few lines at MetLife.

Vending:  "Cheaper" in Dallas needs to take into account the cost of living variance to New York which is 57% more expensive to live in.  So if a beer in Dallas is $10 and in New York it's $15, the New York beer is actually cheaper.  This goes for ticket prices too.

HDTV's:  The 4 we have in the corners are far less distracting than one big one in the middle of the field.  That huge TV is needed because of the upper-upper deck seats in ATT Stadium which is so high up they need oxygen tanks.

Our stadium is very nice and suits the fanbase and our climate quite well.  Prices are in line with other large metropolitan areas.  No one can complain.

SAR I

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

I'm renewing. I've had'em since 

After years and years of losing. Hess would give Bowles a contract extension after this season.

like I said I have been going since the early 70s and the first time I had hope as a jet fan was when they brought in parcells-right away he made a huge impact and saved this team from the abyss

Woody is by all accounts bringing back Bowles and Mac and I would not be surprised if they stay longer....

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Exactly.

One down year after a 10 win season and they're ready for Jim Jones Kool Aid and white Nike Sneakers?

No wonder the state of major league sports is so bad.  Millennial hipsters want it all their way and have no patience.

SAR I

Archived