DeFilippo Rumored to be Jets Target for OC Position

JetNation

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

isn't that a dick move, preventing someone from possibly getting a promotion?

9 times out of 10, the organization asks the candidate if they want to take the interview... if the guy says no, then they decline to save face for him in the future when other suitors may come calling.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DMan77 said:

That's the LIKELY outcome, but that's what makes it appealing to risk takers... Yes plenty of people won't touch the Jets with a 10 foot pole, but there will be some who want the challenge... Again maybe not many, but some.

It's like playing roulette and instead of taking the 'safe' bet by putting your money on "odd" or "even", you instead take a risk that comes with a much bigger reward by putting on a particular number instead.

Turning this offense around with put someone on the head of a HC list in a year or two. There's no doubt. They'd be getting talked up left and right, and guys know that. 

This job is appealing to someone without any other options who wants to badly be a coordinator.  Anyone good with options is not taking this job.

Being a good OC will put someone on the head of a HC list in a year or two, too.  And the safer/more likely way to do that is to take a job where you can look good.  Josh McDaniels was terrible in Denver.  Cindy has made him look good and all of a sudden he's a hot commodity again.

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It doesn't matter. It's possible and an ambitious person will recognize that

It definitely matters which is why you see candidates turn down interviews and offers all the time. Going to bad team is a huge risk because even if you take over as Interim Coach, you'll likely end up fired with everyone else.

I've asked you several times to provide examples of top top candidates who have gone to a team with a HC that's on the hot seat, become HC and then been successful. You've been unable to do so which makes your adherence to this hairbrained philosophy all the more confusing.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Eagles denied Jets permission to interview their QB coach John DeFilippo for offensive coordinator job, per league source.

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Didn't think you could deny someone interviewing for a higher level job

the only way the eagles could get away with this is to give him an assistant  HC title I think. 

36 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

So he should have kept his job?

Wasn't up to me, because I don't have the real story . My thinking was if you're talking continuity, then why not give the young apprentice with the old scheme and his own new wrinkles  a shot to move the offense forward .

Maybe Bowles just can't afford to take that chance  . 

5 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

This job is appealing to someone without any other options who wants to badly be a coordinator.  Anyone good with options is not taking this job.

Being a good OC will put someone on the head of a HC list in a year or two, too.  And the safer/more likely way to do that is to take a job where you can look good.  Josh McDaniels was terrible in Denver.  Cindy has made him look good and all of a sudden he's a hot commodity again.

Okay but lets be real here... You nor I can speak to the motivations of EVERY coach and coordinator. I believe there's at least a few who would like the challenge and the glory that comes with it... I believe there are at least a couple out there rattling around the idea of glory in their head for turning around a bad team or getting the most out of some players... 

15 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

It definitely matters which is why you see candidates turn down interviews and offers all the time. Going to bad team is a huge risk because even if you take over as Interim Coach, you'll likely end up fired with everyone else.

I've asked you several times to provide examples of top top candidates who have gone to a team with a HC that's on the hot seat, become HC and then been successful. You've been unable to do so which makes your adherence to this hairbrained philosophy all the more confusing.

And I keep telling you that it doesn't matter if it has been done before or not.  The point is that it is possible. It probably hasn't been done in the pro ranks. I know it's been done in college a few times (West Virginia springs to mind)

But the point is that it is possible

15 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

And I keep telling you that it doesn't matter if it has been done before or not.  The point is that it is possible. It probably hasn't been done in the pro ranks. I know it's been done in college a few times (West Virginia springs to mind)

But the point is that it is possible.

(Sorry double post)

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

But the point is that it is possible

So is a chicken sprouting from your butt and solving the formula for cold fusion, but I'm gonna bet that's not gonna happen.

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

So is a chicken sprouting from your butt and solving the formula for cold fusion, but I'm gonna bet that's not gonna happen.

The age old question: would you be less willing to eat a chicken that sprouted from a butt, or one that solved the formula for cold fusion?

14 hours ago, DMan77 said:

Okay but lets be real here... You nor I can speak to the motivations of EVERY coach and coordinator. I believe there's at least a few who would like the challenge and the glory that comes with it... I believe there are at least a couple out there rattling around the idea of glory in their head for turning around a bad team or getting the most out of some players... 

I hear Bob Diaco is looking for a job.

Certainly possible that DeFilippo wanted no part of the Jets OC job, and the Eagles did him a favor by "blocking" the interview so DeF didn't have to publicly reject the interview. 

He saves face by not rejecting a potential promotion... and the Jets, in turn, also save face by not being turned down.

I would wait for a better opportunity too if I were him.

Integrity28 beat me to the punch with this one...

33 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Certainly possible that DeFilippo wanted no part of the Jets OC job, and the Eagles did him a favor by "blocking" the interview so DeF didn't have to publicly reject the interview. 

He saves face by not rejecting a potential promotion... and the Jets, in turn, also save face by not being turned down.

I would wait for a better opportunity too if I were him.

Integrity28 beat me to the punch with this one...

Could be.  Another way it also helped him is that it shows that the Eagles think highly of him, and don't think, "Meh, we can get someone better "

Archived