DeFilippo Rumored to be Jets Target for OC Position

JetNation

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If you think the Jets HC is a lame duck, why would  you consider this Job as the OC  especially when you're in a good place with Carson Wentz .  Getting any credit for developing Wentz would put him on the fast track for a coordinator Job with a top team and maybe more .

Just now, Tinstar said:

If you think the Jets HC is a lame duck, why would  you consider this Job as the OC  especially when you're in a good place with Carson Wentz .  Getting any credit for developing Wentz would put him on the fast track for a coordinator Job with a top team and maybe more .

Well Woody did just come out and say that he really isn't a lame duck. Whether you believe him or not is another story.

I think it makes sense for him and the Eagles to stay where he is.

1 minute ago, detectivekimble said:

No one wants this job.  No QB and a coaching staff on the hot seat.  It's a set up to fail job.  

I don't necessarily agree. First it is a chance to be a hero, a savior so to speak. Secondly, that guy should know he will have an opportunity to get the HC job once the moron is fired next January. I think it is worth taking a shot if they would offer that to me.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

For non ambitious people maybe. For ambitious people, it's a clear path to an interim HC spot which would lead to a HC spot.

Nice way to spin it.

It's a bad job.  You have no QB, so your offense is likely going to look like sh*t.  That's not going to lead to a HC job.  It's going to lead to getting canned.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:58 PM, BurnleyJet said:

Does it matter with our QB situation? I'm more disappointed Rogers is still DC.

This too...I wish I knew WTF we were doing here, this whole thing makes no sense, just like hiring a GM and HC together. Idiotic dysfunction.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Well Woody did just come out and say that he really isn't a lame duck. Whether you believe him or not is another story.

I think it makes sense for him and the Eagles to stay where he is.

I still think the best guy for this Job is the guy(Patullo we fired .

23 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Again, probably because he knows Frank Reich is going to Buffalo and he will become Eagles OC, which at the moment is in a better spot than Jets OC

No, because he knows being associated with this shyte show will damage his chances of ever getting any HC job. Along with getting put before a firing squad after week 17 next year and looking for a whole new job. 

I know everyone likes to say why would a guy like Mike McCoy come here when he'll have so many options.  Well if you really think about it, it might make the most sense because you can dangle the HC job in front of him.  If the team stinks,  Bowles gets fired and you can be in consideration for the next HC, if the team does well that most likely means the offense improved which helps get his name out there again for HC jobs,  The one caveat would be not attaching any of these guys to Hackenberg and letting them give a fair evaluation

8 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Nice way to spin it.

It's a bad job.  You have no QB, so your offense is likely going to look like sh*t.  That's not going to lead to a HC job.  It's going to lead to getting canned.

That's the LIKELY outcome, but that's what makes it appealing to risk takers... Yes plenty of people won't touch the Jets with a 10 foot pole, but there will be some who want the challenge... Again maybe not many, but some.

It's like playing roulette and instead of taking the 'safe' bet by putting your money on "odd" or "even", you instead take a risk that comes with a much bigger reward by putting on a particular number instead.

Turning this offense around with put someone on the head of a HC list in a year or two. There's no doubt. They'd be getting talked up left and right, and guys know that. 

2 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Eagles just denied us permission to speak to DiFillipo so the point is moot.

In cases like this I can't help wondering if DiFillipo didn't want the job and asked the Eagles to deny us for appearance's sake. We'll never know...

6 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

That's the LIKELY outcome, but that's what makes it appealing to risk takers... Yes plenty of people won't touch the Jets with a 10 foot pole, but there will be some who want the challenge... Again maybe not many, but some.

It's like playing roulette and instead of taking the 'safe' bet by putting your money on "odd" or "even", you instead take a risk that comes with a much bigger reward by putting on a particular number instead. The books will tell you that it's a bad bet, but when you hit it you celebrate harder.

Turning this offense around with put someone on the head of a HC list in a year or two. There's no doubt. They'd be getting talked up left and right, and guys know that. 

Double post, sorry all.

14 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

I don't necessarily agree. First it is a chance to be a hero, a savior so to speak. Secondly, that guy should know he will have an opportunity to get the HC job once the moron is fired next January. I think it is worth taking a shot if they would offer that to me.

any OC who either can run a decent offense or help develop a young qb here is the obvious successor to the HC job.  bowles is far from safe here and at some point the jets are going to hire an offensive guy.

It looks like we can take one name off the Jets’ coaching radar.

The Philadelphia Eagles denied the Jets permission to interview current quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo for their vacant offensive coordinator job, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

DeFilippo’s name has been in the running for a series of positions in recent weeks after helping rookie passer Carson Wentz to a respectable first season showing. Wentz completed 62.4 percent of his pass attempts this season for 16 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.

The 38 year old has experience at the coordinator position, for one season coaching Cleveland’s offense, a unit that finished with the NFL’s No. 30 overall ranking under head coach Mike Pettine.

The Jets’ search continues ...

Why would you want this guy anyway?

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

any OC who either can run a decent offense or help develop a young qb here is the obvious successor to the HC job.  bowles is far from safe here and at some point the jets are going to hire an offensive guy.

agreed, hopefully sooner than later...

I don't get why people think this would be a bad OC job.

1.  The receiving core and RB core is very good, as not many teams can stack up talent like the Jets.  Marshall, while a diva, gets No. 1 WR coverage, Decker is a great No. 2, Enunwa is a match up nightmare, Anderson is someone that could be a budding star with Peake/Smith/Marshall as back ups.  Even Forte/Powell is a good combo of running backs.   

2.  There is very little risk because the general perception is that it's a deadbeat job, without upside.  However, I think it has plenty of upside, because we are an offensive line overhaul away from having the perfect set up for a young QB.  If you develop a Petty/Hackenberg then you might as well pick your next HC job because the demand will be high.  If you don't develop them, they were picks that weren't highly thought of around the league, and no wonder if you failed.  

If you are a young coach, looking to establish himself, or even a retread trying to build up value, this seems like one of the best places to do so, because expectations are so mediocre.  Look at Herm Edwards, parlayed this job into a lifetime gig at ESPN.  Mangenius was a thing for awhile.  Rex Ryan is a national figure.  Mike Pettine got hired twice after the Jets.  Heck, Fitzpatrick was a loser that no one wanted, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a spike in boys named "Ryan" in the general NJ/Long Island area that are about 1 year old now. 

Saying all that, wasn't too excited about this guy, lol.  He didn't seem like the right fit.  The offense needs to develop a QB, and they need to go after more guys that fit the system, instead of the other way around.  Hiring this guy would seem like drafting Geno.  Everything is inverse, where the whole offense is set up to be spread based, and we hire a guy that doesn't run it.  Same with Geno, everything is set up for run and pound, and we draft an Air Raid QB.  

37 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Because then you're next in line to be the Jets head coach

What he said ?

8 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I don't get why people think this would be a bad OC job.

1.  The receiving core and RB core is very good, as not many teams can stack up talent like the Jets.  Marshall, while a diva, gets No. 1 WR coverage, Decker is a great No. 2, Enunwa is a match up nightmare, Anderson is someone that could be a budding star with Peake/Smith/Marshall as back ups.  Even Forte/Powell is a good combo of running backs.   

2.  There is very little risk because the general perception is that it's a deadbeat job, without upside.  However, I think it has plenty of upside, because we are an offensive line overhaul away from having the perfect set up for a young QB.  If you develop a Petty/Hackenberg then you might as well pick your next HC job because the demand will be high.  If you don't develop them, they were picks that weren't highly thought of around the league, and no wonder if you failed.  

If you are a young coach, looking to establish himself, or even a retread trying to build up value, this seems like one of the best places to do so, because expectations are so mediocre.  Look at Herm Edwards, parlayed this job into a lifetime gig at ESPN.  Mangenius was a thing for awhile.  Rex Ryan is a national figure.  Mike Pettine got hired twice after the Jets.  Heck, Fitzpatrick was a loser that no one wanted, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a spike in boys named "Ryan" in the general NJ/Long Island area that are about 1 year old now. 

Saying all that, wasn't too excited about this guy, lol.  He didn't seem like the right fit.  The offense needs to develop a QB, and they need to go after more guys that fit the system, instead of the other way around.  Hiring this guy would seem like drafting Geno.  Everything is inverse, where the whole offense is set up to be spread based, and we hire a guy that doesn't run it.  Same with Geno, everything is set up for run and pound, and we draft an Air Raid QB.  

5 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

That's not exactly a good reason..just as likely to get fired with everyone else. How many interim HCs go on to do anything with the team they were the interim HC for?

7 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

That worked out real well for Kevin Patullo  who probably thought that when Chan Gailey retired he would assume the position . He didn't realize it would be swimming with the fishes .

Archived