Was this always Gailey's Last Year?

varjet

I read that Gailey had given notice at the beginning of the year that this was his last and he had planned the entire year to retire basically yesterday.

Is that true?  Did the Jets have a lameduck OC the whole year?  And the QB Coach and RB Coach were fired too and not brought forward.

Were they really trying?

I have a few more questions I will ask later.

No. He sucked so instead of firing him, he chose the pu**** route and claiming he's retiring. On second thought, maybe he made the best decision since he wouldn't be a hot pursuit candidate for anything except maybe getting your ancient RB hammered. 

26 minutes ago, varjet said:

I read that Gailey had given notice at the beginning of the year that this was his last and he had planned the entire year to retire basically yesterday.

Is that true?  Did the Jets have a lameduck OC the whole year?  And the QB Coach and RB Coach were fired too and not brought forward.

Were they really trying?

Suspenseful!!!  This is fun.

As to your current questions -  Is that true?  Not sure.  Did they have a lame duck OC?  I dont know.  Were they really trying?  I hope so.

Ya, he was helping out TB and the organization by doing this... Makes it look less bitter or less like they just weren't going to work long term.

I believe he maybe said "hey i'm going to see how i feel at the end..." but that quickly turned to him leaving as the season went on.

31 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

What does it really matter. When it's all said and done, that chapter in Jets history is over . Why not take the man at his word and move on .

Because if its true, it is one of the worst organizational failures in franchise history, and revealing to anyone wondering if they truly have a plan. Totally and completely unacceptable.

Just now, JetPotato said:

Because if its true, it is one of the worst organizational failures in franchise history. Totally and completely unacceptable.

Well it would speak to the thought that the jets actually thought they were going to the super bowl this year.

9 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Because if its true, it is one of the worst organizational failures in franchise history, and revealing to anyone wondering if they truly have a plan. Totally and completely unacceptable.

No it wouldn't

it could mean they were going forward with the plan of Chan grooming his replacement over the course of his final season.  

Unacceptable. 

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

No. He sucked so instead of firing him, he chose the pu**** route and claiming he's retiring. On second thought, maybe he made the best decision since he wouldn't be a hot pursuit candidate for anything except maybe getting your ancient RB hammered. 

or your 2nd year QB broken in half

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Were they really trying?

We'll never know if it were true.  It's certainly plausible Chan came back to the NFL for a specific period (2 years) by his own plan, and kept to that plan and retired.

And I believe even if it were true, he was still trying.  He simply failed.  Not every failure is attributable to conscious sabotage after all.  Sometime people simply fail despite their best efforts.

I don't believe it. He just made the comment a week or two ago about doing more coaching. He knew he did a bad job and was going to be fired. They let him retire so he can decide to come back in a year or two if he wants. 

If he really knew this was it for him then why call plays so terribly? If it's the end you might as well open up the playbook and go for it all. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Were they really trying?

Occum's Razor.

I think he hinted at it  but wanted to see how the season played out.  With the way things went and the Jets not looking like they're anywhere near a Super Bowl contender he probably decided to move on. I don't think it was as definitive as him telling the organization before the season this was it, I think he let them know it was a consideration.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

What does it really matter. When it's all said and done, that chapter in Jets history is over . Why not take the man at his word and move on .

It matters because now we know why Petty and Hack were pretty much shelved for the year and no one worked with them or coached them and the little if any they did was half ass

57 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No it wouldn't

it could mean they were going forward with the plan of Chan grooming his replacement over the course of his final season.  

Unacceptable. 

So who was it? He wasn't grooming a replacement if they're looking outside the org

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

So who was it? He wasn't grooming a replacement if they're looking outside the org

What?  I said he could have been going forward with the plan to groom Pattula.  That was the plan.  I never mentioned anything about outside the org. 

Like when Parcells had Ron Erhardt, who didn't want to coach anymore stay on and work with Weiss.  

BTW, I honestly believe this all could and probably is a way to let Chan save some face. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

We'll never know if it were true.  It's certainly plausible Chan came back to the NFL for a specific period (2 years) by his own plan, and kept to that plan and retired.

And I believe even if it were true, he was still trying.  He simply failed.  Not every failure is attributable to conscious sabotage after all.  Sometime people simply fail despite their best efforts.

chan got caught up in the circus that was the jets.  if he were younger he might tried harder or would been more able to do something to get the offense going.  but at age 65 it's doubtful if had the stomach to be at war with the players.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

What?  I said he could have been going forward with the plan to groom Pattula.  That was the plan.  I never mentioned anything about outside the org. 

Like when Parcells had Ron Erhardt, who didn't want to coach anymore stay on and work with Weiss.  

BTW, I honestly believe this all could and probably is a way to let Chan save some face. 

That's fine, but your alternate theory makes no sense. If they knew in the beginning of the year that Gailey was leaving, and the plan was to groom Pattula, you don't fire Pattula (which is what they have done). We know for a fact that they are looking outside the organization to replace Gailey. It's pretty simple - if its true that Gailey notified them early, then they simply had a poor plan, or no plan at all.

37 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

That's fine, but your alternate theory makes no sense. If they knew in the beginning of the year that Gailey was leaving, and the plan was to groom Pattula, you don't fire Pattula (which is what they have done). We know for a fact that they are looking outside the organization to replace Gailey. It's pretty simple - if its true that Gailey notified them early, then they simply had a poor plan, or no plan at all.

Well,yeah, it didn't work out.  How does that make the idea to groom Pattula wrong or one that doesn't make sense?  They thought he would be a good replacement but it didn't wor out.  Happens.  Doesn't make it s poor plan.  It's a plan many have  used.  As Parecells did.  

Agsin, I think the more than likely scenario is the team firing Chan and out of respect giving him a better exit to save face.  He was talking a week ago, all season, about coming back and next season.  So find it hard to believe he told Bowles it was his last season.  

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Well,yeah, it didn't work out.  How does that make the idea to groom Pattula wrong or one that doesn't make sense?  They thought he would be a good replacement but it didn't wor out.  Happens.  Doesn't make it s poor plan.  It's a plan many have  used.  As Parecells did.  

Agsin, I think the more than likely scenario is the team firing Chan and out of respect giving him a better exit to save face.  He was talking a week ago, all season, about coming back and next season.  So find it hard to believe he told Bowles it was his last season.  

Lying/concocting a story only makes them look stupid. Its actually consistent with what Gailey said last week. He clearly knew he wasn't coming back. 

Simplest explanation is usually the right one. I believe we're simply dealing with an incompetent group who had no plan for these young kids, and might even have believed they were title contenders this year.

19 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Lying/concocting a story only makes them look stupid. Its actually consistent with what Gailey said last week. He clearly knew he wasn't coming back. 

Simplest explanation is usually the right one. I believe we're simply dealing with an incompetent group who had no plan for these young kids, and might even have believed they were title contenders this year.

Ok, sure it does.  It happens all the time. The media that I heard discuss that theory thought it was a classy thing to do.  Not suprisimg some fans think it's lying in a bad way.  Has to be bad, it's the Jets.  And no matter what anyone reports or says you know better.  Nothing Chan said indicated he wasn't coming back. 

Either way, there is nothing about it that points to anyone being incompetent.  He either quit or was fired.  Happens every day.  That you see incompetence is your right. 

According to the NY Post:

While head coach Todd Bowles will likely be back, it is expected that he will also make what The Post calls “massive changes.” It is expected that those changes start with Gailey’s firing.

It has been a harsh season for the offensive coordinator after a successful first season with the Jets in 2015. The Jets head into Sunday’s finale ranked 25th in total offense and 27th in passing offense. Gailey has had to manage three quarterbacks, who have coughed up 25 interceptions.

Earlier this week, Gailey said it has been his toughest year as a coach. He also said he would like to keep coaching.

“I always have loved to coach,” Gailey said, according to The Post. “I’ve always loved to do that. I think it’s in my blood. I think it’ll be there until I go to the grave.”

6 hours ago, JiF said:

Suspenseful!!!  This is fun.

As to your current questions -  Is that true?  Not sure.  Did they have a lame duck OC?  I dont know.  Were they really trying?  I hope so.

Seriously... Ok everyone... Speak authoritatively on something you have no idea about and no way of knowing, but try to make it convincing!

6 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Would definitely explain why he called bad plays this year, and not good ones, like last year

Bowles needs to hire someone who's only going to call the good plays.  He should ask the coach on the interview whether he plans to call the good plays or the bad plays.  And if he's going to call the bad plays, Bowles should avoid hiring him.

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Ok, sure it does.  It happens all the time. The media that I heard discuss that theory thought it was a classy thing to do.  Not suprisimg some fans think it's lying in a bad way.  Has to be bad, it's the Jets.  And no matter what anyone reports or says you know better.  Nothing Chan said indicated he wasn't coming back. 

Either way, there is nothing about it that points to anyone being incompetent.  He either quit or was fired.  Happens every day.  That you see incompetence is your right. 

According to the NY Post:

While head coach Todd Bowles will likely be back, it is expected that he will also make what The Post calls “massive changes.” It is expected that those changes start with Gailey’s firing.

It has been a harsh season for the offensive coordinator after a successful first season with the Jets in 2015. The Jets head into Sunday’s finale ranked 25th in total offense and 27th in passing offense. Gailey has had to manage three quarterbacks, who have coughed up 25 interceptions.

Earlier this week, Gailey said it has been his toughest year as a coach. He also said he would like to keep coaching.

“I always have loved to coach,” Gailey said, according to The Post. “I’ve always loved to do that. I think it’s in my blood. I think it’ll be there until I go to the grave.”

That quote by Gailey in no way indicates he wanted to come back. He's saying he has a love that he doesn't think will ever leave him, not that he'll actually do it forever. If you recall, the media were calling it a "cryptic" remark that fueled speculation that he wouldn't be back. Funny how they change their reading of that quote to fit a new narrative this week.

Sorry, but I don't think there is anything BUT "lying in a bad way". Lying is lying. It's never a good policy. I'm not interesting in taking a stance like a Pats fan. The guy was already retired once. It's not a stretch to think he did it again. There's also not an ounce of value to Gailey in fabricating a story that he made the decision last summer. That's no better a story than "he notified us of his decision this week". But if you insist that it's a lie, then along with that story goes the fact that they failed to have a Plan B in place, which makes them incompetent. Its pretty simple. Not sure what you don't get about it.

37 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Bowles needs to hire someone who's only going to call the good plays.  He should ask the coach on the interview whether he plans to call the good plays or the bad plays.  And if he's going to call the bad plays, Bowles should avoid hiring him.

^gets it

43 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Whoa, not so fast. You're forgetting something BIG. Bowles also has to ask this potential hire if he's going to play to win instead of merely playing not to lose. IMO he should *NOT* sign an OC who plays not to lose. It is crucial that Bowles finds this out *BEFORE* hiring him.

17 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

That quote by Gailey in no way indicates he wanted to come back. He's saying he has a love that he doesn't think will ever leave him, not that he'll actually do it forever. If you recall, the media were calling it a "cryptic" remark that fueled speculation that he wouldn't be back. Funny how they change their reading of that quote to fit a new narrative this week.

Sorry, but I don't think there is anything BUT "lying in a bad way". Lying is lying. It's never a good policy. I'm not interesting in taking a stance like a Pats fan. The guy was already retired once. It's not a stretch to think he did it again. There's also not an ounce of value to Gailey in fabricating a story that he made the decision last summer. That's no better a story than "he notified us of his decision this week". But if you insist that it's a lie, then along with that story goes the fact that they failed to have a Plan B in place, which makes them incompetent. Its pretty simple. Not sure what you don't get about it.

You've got to be kidding. 

Archived