Jet fans & the QB position

Jetster

I have so much fun reading this board regarding what to do with the QB position.

Anybody that has an opinion is pretty much shot down by half of the fan base which is comical considering who the Jets trot out there at the QB position. Listen, what I'm trying to say is that I'm not gonna be picky when it comes to that position & the Jets.

Taylor? YES, Bradford? YES, Glennon? YES, Romo? YES, Cutler? YES, Cousins? YES, Tannyhill? YES, Garappolo? YES, Bortles ? YES, Kaepernick? YES, Watson? YES, Trubisky? YES, Kiser? YES!

I could give a rats azz what we do with Woody Johnsons money. The Jets have to keep trying to get a QB anyway they can, anyone they can, my god I can't take it anymore! Every single QB on that list above is better than what we already have or have had (Fitz). Ooh, we don't want to make a mistake, lol, GTFOOH! Its all we do anyway. Get someone in here that can throw a damn 20 freaking yard pass! I couldn't believe I was watching Petty try to throw in that rain with that stupid grin on his face after the ball slipping out of his hand for a pick & then throwing it into the turf at Powells feet, RIDICULOUS! GET SOMEONE ELSE IN HERE! ANYONE!

Just now, Jetster said:

I have so much fun reading this board regarding what to do with the QB position.

Anybody that has an opinion is pretty much shot down by half of the fan base which is comical considering who the Jets trot out there at the QB position. Listen, what I'm trying to say is that I'm not gonna be picky when it comes to that position & the Jets.

Taylor? YES, Bradford? YES, Glennon? YES, Romo? YES, Cutler? YES, Cousins? YES, Tannyhill? YES, Garappolo? YES, Bortles ? YES, Kaepernick? YES, Watson? YES, Trubisky? YES, Kiser? YES!

I could give a rats azz what we do with Woody Johnsons money. The Jets have to keep trying to get a QB anyway they can, anyone they can, my god I can't take it anymore! Every single QB on that list above is better than what we already have or have had (Fitz). Ooh, we don't want to make a mistake, lol, GTFOOH! Its all we do anyway. Get someone in here that can throw a damn 20 freaking yard pass! I couldn't believe I was watching Petty try to throw in that rain with that stupid grin on his face after the ball slipping out of his hand for a pick & then throwing it into the turf at Powells feet, RIDICULOUS! GET SOMEONE ELSE IN HERE! ANYONE!

I've generally said let's give anyone a chance... Unless it's like a 7 year, 100million dollar deal for one of them.

It's about the money, ya'll.

I'm just being dumb and flippant with these numbers, obviously, but the point is I'll take any of those guys for the right price. I'm not going to say no if a guy like Kaepernick comes here for 1 year and 2 million to compete for a spot... I'm not going to complain if the Cowboys cut Romo and we sign him on a 2 year "show me" deal for little money. 

It's all about how much a deal handcuffs us to do other things than it is about the players themselves... For me at least.

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

That kid is two years away from being draft eligible. Freshman at USC and not a redshirt freshman but a true freshman straight out of high school. 

Not true. Redshirt freshman.

You're oversimplifying the situation.

First - it's not Woody's money fans are concerned with. It's salary cap dollars.

Second - while some of the veterans you mentioned might be better than Fitz - those will come with big cap hits and/or substantial draft comp and you're not winning a championship with any of them.

Third - Is it worth overpaying for a crappy QB because he's better than Fitz? And muddle around .500 for a decade with the occasional short lived wild card appearance?

Or do you keep drafting until you find a true franchise QB and use that extra cap money to build an OL and defense?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Any QB that is brought in is going to cost the Jets something.  If they bring in a free agent, they will need the money/cap space to make it happen.  The cap space is something that the Jets currently don't have.  They can cut a few starters to free up cap space but then the excuses will begin if the new QB fails.  Excuses that the QB doesn't have good wide receivers or the offensive line doesn't give him enough time or the running backs aren't good enough or the defense can't get off the field.  Though it is vitally important for any NFL team to find that franchise QB, balancing the cost and surrounding the QB with talent and a defense is also important to give the QB a chance at success.  The other option is to draft a QB which is low cost and may not have to purge as many starters.  

Both of these are really up to the GM to either manage the cost of the surrounding players or find the talent in a draft to be a viable starting QB.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

You're oversimplifying the situation.

First - it's not Woody's money fans are concerned with. It's salary cap dollars.

Second - while some of the veterans you mentioned might be better than Fitz - those will come with big cap hits and/or substantial draft comp and you're not winning a championship with any of them.

Third - Is it worth overpaying for a crappy QB because he's better than Fitz? And muddle around .500 for a decade with the occasional short lived wild card appearance?

Or do you keep drafting until you find a true franchise QB and use that extra cap money to build an OL and defense?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I say have the courage of your convictions. If you drafted Hackenberg in the second round you do one of two things. One- You play him and let him take his lumps as long as there is progress, unlike Petty who showed no real progress. Second you cut him and draft another one. Repeat and rinse.

the jet fan base will not tolerate another mediocre vet coming in to 'hold the fort' until one of their own draft picks may someday be ready.  this will only get mccags fired.  idzik didn't draft well, but at least they tested the guy he drafted.  

the morale of the fan base is again at an all time low.  and it's not just b/c of the failure to make the playoffs, or the horrendous defense, or the team bickering.  it's because they don't draft anyone who makes you want to buy a jersey, or pay for a ticket to a game, or give any reason to hope the team can become a competent offensive team.  they haven't drafted offense in the first round since sanchez, and no 2nd round offensive picks have panned out, so that's 8 years of no offensive talent coming to this team in the first two rounds of the nfl draft.  fans are losing a connection to this team, the only identity on offense has been guys not drafted by the team.  the lack of homegrown offensive talent over the last decade is mindboggling and i'm already questioning who i'm going to get excited to watch on offense opening day, since it's probably going to be another qb castoff, wrs not drafted by the jets and another veteran rb not drafted by the jets.  it's sad when the best takeaways i have are robbie anderson catching a few passes.  holding the fort won't cut it anymore, either the draft picks pan out or the gm goes, there just are not unlimited chances to draft qbs who can play in the nfl and plenty of other teams are doing it.

Here is the problem:

1.  Free agent QBs cost money:  Fitzpatrick cost us $12 million and most people knew he was a product of the system (besides some reporters and posters here).  RGIII all but run out of Washington, with whom we held a workout and didn't offer a deal, got 2 years $15 million with incentives that could have added another $7 million.  Brock Osweiler, he of half a season of mediocre playing time, got $72 million contract.  Chase Daniels, career backup, got a $21 million deal to BE a backup.  Anyone with an ounce of upside isn't coming here for a "prove it" deal of 1 or 2 million.  Heck, Kellen Clemens signed for 1 million last year, and I didn't even know he was in the league.  To get someone in the $2-$3 million range, you are looking at Colt McCoys, Matt Schuabs, and Matt Moores.  

Romo is going to get numerous offers in the millions, closer to $12-15 million than $5 million.  Some team like the Broncos, Bills, Rams, or even Cardinals will offer him "more than Fitzpatrick" money to play for them.  He isn't going to be a charity case for anyone that signs him.  

So to sign anyone with any upside, you have to pony up money, which makes a major impact on the cap.  While I like the argument that it's not our money that we are dealing away, it is the Jets cap space that we do need to worry about.  Fitzpatrick didn't just cost the Jets $12 million, his arrival had a secondary cause in us not having money to allocate to different parts of the team.  So who would the fans reasonably expect to turn this team around, and give out millions of dollars?  

Would you give Romo 2 years/30 million? Cutler 3 years/35 million?  Bortles?  Would you sign Kapernick to $12 million?

To find someone with upside, you have to stake your team behind that guy for two years.  Look at Houston.  Look at Cleveland. 

2.  Draft is extremely hard to find QBs without the top 2 picks.  It doesn't matter if you have great evaluations, because others are free to do the same and conclude some guy is great.  Everyone knew Luck was great, didn't matter because the Jets didn't have the first pick.  So if a guy falls to the 6th pick, then there is some doubt about his abilities.  Some areas of concern that could derail him.  I know a lot of people point to success stories with Carr, Dak, and Wilson.  But if I go to the lottery websites, I can point out success stories as well, but it doesn't mean I should bet my house on them.  So if say Watson or Tribusky drops to the 6th pick, it means teams that needed QBs (Browns/49ers/Bears) all passed on them for one reason or another.  So do you trust this staff to see the hidden talents?  Or do you trust the other teams more?  That's a tough call to make for any team because they need a plan in action to develop a QB.  The Jets got lucky when Geno dropped into their laps in the second round (a consensus first round QB, many said maybe we should trade up for him in the first) and then put together quite possibly the worst surrounding cast around a QB in quite some time.  People complain about Goff dealing with losers with the Rams this year, yet that surrounding cast is much better than the ones that Geno was dealt.  I'm not saying Geno is the savior or anything, but to develop a young QB, you have to surround him with talent as well.  The Jets had the right idea with Sanchez, they surrounded him with talent as he got used to the league.  The plan was that, as he would mature and get better, the surrounding cast could be less talented because Sanchez's ascending play would make up for it.  It didn't happen.   

So do you go all in on a prospect like the Rams did with Goff?  Or Washington with RGIII?  Or do you hope that someone you think of highly will drop to us, and others won't see the same traits?

I don't think Jets fans can be blamed for wanting a QB, because we sorely lack one.  But they also have to realize that they need to make a substantial investment and risk to try and get one.  It's not as if Andrew Lucks come around often.  

I think the Jets should go with Petty/Hackenberg and a token veteran as the QB.  Unless we commit huge money to Romo (and he miraculously stays healthy) or strike Gold with Watson/Tribusky being far more advanced than anticipated, we're not going anywhere next year.  Let Petty/Hackenberg fight it out, and see where it gets us.  If we win, there we go, problem solved.  If not, we'll be in good position with a deeper class of QBs to pick from.  

14 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Still means he is at least a year away. One great game does not a career make either, so I wouldn't say he is a sure thing yet either.

Guys can for sure fall and go down hill in a college year for sure but I watched USC in 4 games this year and this guy is the real deal imo and I do not go throwing that kind of thing around with most QBS, most QBs are over hyped but watching this guy in 4 games he truly looked like he has everything a franchise guy needs to have.

Just now, win4ever said:

Here is the problem:

1.  Free agent QBs cost money:  Fitzpatrick cost us $12 million and most people knew he was a product of the system (besides some reporters and posters here).  RGIII all but run out of Washington, with whom we held a workout and didn't offer a deal, got 2 years $15 million with incentives that could have added another $7 million.  Brock Osweiler, he of half a season of mediocre playing time, got $72 million contract.  Chase Daniels, career backup, got a $21 million deal to BE a backup.  Anyone with an ounce of upside isn't coming here for a "prove it" deal of 1 or 2 million.  Heck, Kellen Clemens signed for 1 million last year, and I didn't even know he was in the league.  To get someone in the $2-$3 million range, you are looking at Colt McCoys, Matt Schuabs, and Matt Moores.  

Romo is going to get numerous offers in the millions, closer to $12-15 million than $5 million.  Some team like the Broncos, Bills, Rams, or even Cardinals will offer him "more than Fitzpatrick" money to play for them.  He isn't going to be a charity case for anyone that signs him.  

So to sign anyone with any upside, you have to pony up money, which makes a major impact on the cap.  While I like the argument that it's not our money that we are dealing away, it is the Jets cap space that we do need to worry about.  Fitzpatrick didn't just cost the Jets $12 million, his arrival had a secondary cause in us not having money to allocate to different parts of the team.  So who would the fans reasonably expect to turn this team around, and give out millions of dollars?  

Would you give Romo 2 years/30 million? Cutler 3 years/35 million?  Bortles?  Would you sign Kapernick to $12 million?

To find someone with upside, you have to stake your team behind that guy for two years.  Look at Houston.  Look at Cleveland. 

2.  Draft is extremely hard to find QBs without the top 2 picks.  It doesn't matter if you have great evaluations, because others are free to do the same and conclude some guy is great.  Everyone knew Luck was great, didn't matter because the Jets didn't have the first pick.  So if a guy falls to the 6th pick, then there is some doubt about his abilities.  Some areas of concern that could derail him.  I know a lot of people point to success stories with Carr, Dak, and Wilson.  But if I go to the lottery websites, I can point out success stories as well, but it doesn't mean I should bet my house on them.  So if say Watson or Tribusky drops to the 6th pick, it means teams that needed QBs (Browns/49ers/Bears) all passed on them for one reason or another.  So do you trust this staff to see the hidden talents?  Or do you trust the other teams more?  That's a tough call to make for any team because they need a plan in action to develop a QB.  The Jets got lucky when Geno dropped into their laps in the second round (a consensus first round QB, many said maybe we should trade up for him in the first) and then put together quite possibly the worst surrounding cast around a QB in quite some time.  People complain about Goff dealing with losers with the Rams this year, yet that surrounding cast is much better than the ones that Geno was dealt.  I'm not saying Geno is the savior or anything, but to develop a young QB, you have to surround him with talent as well.  The Jets had the right idea with Sanchez, they surrounded him with talent as he got used to the league.  The plan was that, as he would mature and get better, the surrounding cast could be less talented because Sanchez's ascending play would make up for it.  It didn't happen.   

So do you go all in on a prospect like the Rams did with Goff?  Or Washington with RGIII?  Or do you hope that someone you think of highly will drop to us, and others won't see the same traits?

I don't think Jets fans can be blamed for wanting a QB, because we sorely lack one.  But they also have to realize that they need to make a substantial investment and risk to try and get one.  It's not as if Andrew Lucks come around often.  

I think the Jets should go with Petty/Hackenberg and a token veteran as the QB.  Unless we commit huge money to Romo (and he miraculously stays healthy) or strike Gold with Watson/Tribusky being far more advanced than anticipated, we're not going anywhere next year.  Let Petty/Hackenberg fight it out, and see where it gets us.  If we win, there we go, problem solved.  If not, we'll be in good position with a deeper class of QBs to pick from.  

in the past few years, carr, bridgewater, prescott, siemian, garoppolo, mccarron, savage, kessler, cook, glennon.  you don't need a top 2 pick.  you need good scouts. 

At the end of the day, we need to ace a draft. We really are due. Our past 5-6 years of drafting have been horrendous. I'm 100% sure the mocks that I've made over the years would've been better than the crap we've drafted. That's why we suck.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

in the past few years, carr, bridgewater, prescott, siemian, garoppolo, mccarron, savage, kessler, cook, glennon.  you don't need a top 2 pick.  you need good scouts. 

reach.

I see 2 QB's that are actually good on your list.

Just now, Mecca said:

reach.

I see 2 QB's that are actually good on your list.

they are all better than fitz/petty/hackenberg.  my point is, other teams are drafting qbs who play and flash and can win games.  the jets draft guys who either flat out suck or are years away.  

20 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Still means he is at least a year away. One great game does not a career make either, so I wouldn't say he is a sure thing yet either.

LMAO, just because you only saw one game doesn't mean he hasn't been awesome all year and was already touted as the undisputed number 1 pick heading into the 2018 draft. 

25 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

He went like 9-1 and was the Pac-10 player of the year. As a redshirt freshman who took the job from an upperclassman, meaning he didn't even go into spring as a starter.

And it wasn't "one game", it was a star making, transcendent performance on the National Stage in a Prime Time Bowl game vs the #5 team in the Nation.

But aside from all that, yeah. No bigs.

Since 1992 (Browning Nagle), over 25 seasons of football, the Jets have started the season with a QB they developed and drafted 13 times.

I actually expected this stat to be worse, but there is something there.

Of those 103, 1 was Nagle, Pennington (6), Sanchez (4) and Geno (2).

There were some good seasons with Pennington and Sanchez.  Pennington sat and learned for awhile.  Both were first round draft picks.

For a variety of reasons, this would appear to be a better path.

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Wait, what are you trying to say with the back end of this list?  

Garapplo after sitting out what 2+ years and has 2 good games and he's a stud? Mccarron? Savage? Kessler? Cook after 1 game? Glennon for backing up Winston?

Heck, even the Raiders passed on Carr once in that draft,   So did the Vikings on Bridgewater.  And the Cowboys on Prescott.  Are you arguining that their scouts said "these are franchise QBs" but the GM was like "eh, let's go somewhere else first and see if they drop"?  Or were they like "They all have question marks one way or another and we don't think they are franchise QBs, but if things break right, they could be"?  

Now in a couple of cases, they have turned right, but that doesn't mean it's the expectation.  Vikings drafted Ponder high.  Same broncos picked Lynch.  To get a non top 2 QB to be good has more to do with luck because all teams have access to them.  Unless there is some revolutionary sabermetric-esque system that separates it, any non top 2 QB is just a major risk.  Sometimes it works out like Carr.  Sometimes it doesn't like EJ Manuel, Manziel, Weeden, Osweiller.   If it's a matter of taking a chance, then the Jets swung for upside with both Petty and Hackenberg.  

2 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Wait, what are you trying to say with the back end of this list?  

Garapplo after sitting out what 2+ years and has 2 good games and he's a stud? Mccarron? Savage? Kessler? Cook after 1 game? Glennon for backing up Winston?

Heck, even the Raiders passed on Carr once in that draft,   So did the Vikings on Bridgewater.  And the Cowboys on Prescott.  Are you arguining that their scouts said "these are franchise QBs" but the GM was like "eh, let's go somewhere else first and see if they drop"?  Or were they like "They all have question marks one way or another and we don't think they are franchise QBs, but if things break right, they could be"?  

Now in a couple of cases, they have turned right, but that doesn't mean it's the expectation.  Vikings drafted Ponder high.  Same broncos picked Lynch.  To get a non top 2 QB to be good has more to do with luck because all teams have access to them.  Unless there is some revolutionary sabermetric-esque system that separates it, any non top 2 QB is just a major risk.  Sometimes it works out like Carr.  Sometimes it doesn't like EJ Manuel, Manziel, Weeden, Osweiller.   If it's a matter of taking a chance, then the Jets swung for upside with both Petty and Hackenberg.  

you wrote you need a top 2 pick to get a qb.  maybe that increases your odds of getting a stud, but plenty of teams have even ok qbs in later rounds.  the jets are horrendous in this regard.  i applaud taking chances, i'm just tired of swinging and missing.  

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

you wrote you need a top 2 pick to get a qb.  maybe that increases your odds of getting a stud, but plenty of teams have even ok qbs in later rounds.  the jets are horrendous in this regard.  i applaud taking chances, i'm just tired of swinging and missing.  

I'm tired of swinging and missing as well, but I think it comes with the territory of not picking in the top 2.  The other picks are essentially taking educated guesses, but there is no guarantee that it's bound to hit.  Guys like Garrapolo/Glennon/McCarron get protected because they have studs ahead of them, which means they aren't exposed.  Last year, there was plenty of chatter about how Osweiller was going to be a stud, buy low candidate.   It's not just hitting on the QB, it has to hit on the system.  

For example, the Raiders didn't just draft Carr and throw him to the wolves with nothing for 3 three years.  They spent heavily on offensive line, drafted Cooper, signed Crabtree, found Seth Roberts and have a good RB in Murray.   

Just now, win4ever said:

For example, the Raiders didn't just draft Carr and throw him to the wolves with nothing for 3 three years.  They spent heavily on offensive line, drafted Cooper, signed Crabtree, found Seth Roberts and have a good RB in Murray.   

i like this blueprint.  i'd like the jets to fix LT this offseason, draft fournette and have a real running game, and draft a qb and have all of them compete.  over time someone has to emerge, and the nucleus would be in place.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

i like this blueprint.  i'd like the jets to fix LT this offseason, draft fournette and have a real running game, and draft a qb and have all of them compete.  over time someone has to emerge, and the nucleus would be in place.

The offensive line really needs to be fixed this off-season.  Unfortunately, it's not a good draft for lineman, which sucks.  

I think the buleprint is there for a young QB with this team, because the offensive line might be the weak point of the offense.  Powell has shown himself to be a good RB, Forte can hold his own in limited opportunities, and we have a very good core of receivers.  

I think Marshall/Decker/Enunwa/Anderson/Peake/Smith/Marshall stacks up with any WR depth chart around the league when healthy.  Add in ASJ, with Forte/Powell and the receiving end is covered.  What we don't have is the offensive line, so I would love to see them invest in that, and spend money there instead of retread QBs and look at Petty/Hackenberg with talent around them.  If they fail, the QB class is very strong next year.  

56 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

It wasn't one great game. USC finished the season 7-1 after he became the starter and he impressed all season. He has all the tools. Rose Bowl game just put him on the national stage for casual college football fans 

4 minutes ago, win4ever said:

The offensive line really needs to be fixed this off-season.  Unfortunately, it's not a good draft for lineman, which sucks.  

I think the buleprint is there for a young QB with this team, because the offensive line might be the weak point of the offense.  Powell has shown himself to be a good RB, Forte can hold his own in limited opportunities, and we have a very good core of receivers.  

I think Marshall/Decker/Enunwa/Anderson/Peake/Smith/Marshall stacks up with any WR depth chart around the league when healthy.  Add in ASJ, with Forte/Powell and the receiving end is covered.  What we don't have is the offensive line, so I would love to see them invest in that, and spend money there instead of retread QBs and look at Petty/Hackenberg with talent around them.  If they fail, the QB class is very strong next year.  

I think this is the plan that makes sense.  It basically copies Dallas.  You don't really know what kind of young QB you really have unless you block for him, give him people to throw to and coach him.  Dallas has done all of those things.

To say that the Jets should have picked Dak is thus somewhat misleading, as Dak on this team would not look remotely like Dak on the Cowboys.

24 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I'll get killed for saying this but we set Geno up to fail. We threw him in as a day 1 starter with no talent around him. Jeff Cumberland, Stephen Hill, and Jeremy Kerley were our starters with a HC that didn't care about the offense and draft capital spent on defense. 

we set Geno up to fail.

8 minutes ago, Mecca said:

I'll get killed for saying this but we set Geno up to fail. We threw him in as a day 1 starter with no talent around him. Jeff Cumberland, Stephen Hill, and Jeremy Kerley were our starters with a HC that didn't care about the offense and draft capital spent on defense. 

we set Geno up to fail.

This is 100% true. But that also does not mean Geno would have been a success had the Jets set him up to succeed. I was a staunch Geno supporter, I recognized the talent and the fact that he was never really given the best support. But he simply did not progress. He got enough opportunities despite his set backs. He just did not capitalize and kept making the same mistakes. 

Going back to 'setting your QB up for success'. I think its funny that a lot of fans are ready to throw in the towel with Hack because he's not good enough to start over FItz and Petty, yet they don;t want the Jets to rush him and set him up for failure. He's in his rookie year! It's not like he's rotting o the bench. He will get a shot. Most likely this upcoming season. Don't underestimate Hack. He's the guy right now. The future. But he's a big question mark. Just like any QB we would draft this year or the next. But he's the guy we drafted. So lets see what he can do before we start looking at prospects in 2017 and 2018. I know you keep drafting QBs until you find the right one. But QBs, just like any other player, take time to develop. 

The Jets are not running a quality organization to promote QBs.

That being said, Geno had proven himself to be an immature knucklehead notwithstanding all of the factors that could be accused of setting him up to fail.

It is possible that the Jets braintrust is now realizing that if you want to draft and develop a QB, you actually need a coach who can put the elbow grease and mental energy to do that.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

That kid is two years away from being draft eligible. Freshman at USC and not a redshirt freshman but a true freshman straight out of high school. 

Nah he was a Red Shirt freshman, and will be draft eligible 2018.

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets are not running a quality organization to promote QBs.

That being said, Geno had proven himself to be an immature knucklehead notwithstanding all of the factors that could be accused of setting him up to fail.

It is possible that the Jets braintrust is now realizing that if you want to draft and develop a QB, you actually need a coach who can put the elbow grease and mental energy to do that.

Exactly why Gailey and Padoodle, or whatever the hell his name is, were shown the door. They obviously didn't have the ability or interest to work with the two young guys. Hackenberg will be the QB next year, maybe not week one, but probably no later than mid season. 

2 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

He's a redshirt.  He'll be #1 pick in 2018.

Archived