Has Todd Bowles improved as game manager? Jets' coach thinks so

Gas2No99

New York Jets coach Todd Bowles takes a lot of grief for his game-management skills. He doesn't believe the criticism is just.

"I thought I did a better job this year than last year," he said Monday, one day after the Jets wrapped up a 5-11 season.

Many fans probably can recite specific instances where Bowles mismanaged the clock or wasted timeouts because the wrong personnel was on the field. He said his most egregious error occurred in Week 2, when he eschewed a two-point attempt late in a six-point win over the Bills. He admitted it was a "gaffe." There also was the late fourth-and-2 punt against the Steelers in Week 5, but he refused to admit it was a miscalculation.

But let's be fair. Every coach makes a couple of head-scratching decisions during the course of a season, even the so-called geniuses. No one is immune.

"Obviously, I can get better at a lot of things," Bowles acknowledged.

The folks in the analytics world have yet to create an all-encompassing statistic that rates a coach's ability to manage a game, so we're left to draw conclusions based on data in specific areas. Studying Bowles' performance, you'll see mixed results.

Close games. The Jets were 4-4 in games decided by one possession (eight points or less). A year ago, they were 4-5. That's pretty much a wash, but it has to get better if they want to be a playoff team.

Replay challenges. Bowles was successful on five of eight challenges, a big improvement from last season when he was 1-for-5.

Two-minute offense and defense. The Jets were a mess. They were outscored in the final two minutes of halves 82-23, the worst point differential (-59) in the NFL. In 2015, they were +15. This was a significant step back. You can blame some of this year's offensive struggles on quarterback instability, but there was no excuse for the defense.

Use of timeouts. This is where Bowles catches the most flak. How many times did they burn a timeout early in a quarter because something was amiss? Unfortunately, there isn't a "bad timeout" stat, but ESPN Stats & Information came up with this chart. It shows that Bowles didn't go through timeouts as quickly as you might have figured. In fact, the stats show he was careful when calling that second timeout. Of course, he had no problem burning the third.

It should be noted that using all three timeouts isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Teams “below” the Jets in that metric include the Titans, Redskins, Falcons, Raiders, Giants and Cheaters -- all of whom had winning records.

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

I cant even with this guy anymore.  

Nothing is going to change around here because if it aint broken, it dont need to be fixed.  

It's amazing really... we went from Rex's act of "look at how humble I am, I need to do better" and then he'd immediately repeat same mistakes... to Bowles completely denying the existence of problems. 

LOL

20 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

New York Jets coach Todd Bowles takes a lot of grief for his game-management skills. He doesn't believe the criticism is just.

"I thought I did a better job this year than last year," he said Monday, one day after the Jets wrapped up a 5-11 season.

Many fans probably can recite specific instances where Bowles mismanaged the clock or wasted timeouts because the wrong personnel was on the field. He said his most egregious error occurred in Week 2, when he eschewed a two-point attempt late in a six-point win over the Bills. He admitted it was a "gaffe." There also was the late fourth-and-2 punt against the Steelers in Week 5, but he refused to admit it was a miscalculation.

But let's be fair. Every coach makes a couple of head-scratching decisions during the course of a season, even the so-called geniuses. No one is immune.

The folks in the analytics world have yet to create an all-encompassing statistic that rates a coach's ability to manage a game, so we're left to draw conclusions based on data in specific areas. Studying Bowles' performance, you'll see mixed results.

Close games. The Jets were 4-4 in games decided by one possession (eight points or less). A year ago, they were 4-5. That's pretty much a wash, but it has to get better if they want to be a playoff team.

Replay challenges. Bowles was successful on five of eight challenges, a big improvement from last season when he was 1-for-5.

Two-minute offense and defense. The Jets were a mess. They were outscored in the final two minutes of halves 82-23, the worst point differential (-59) in the NFL. In 2015, they were +15. This was a significant step back. You can blame some of this year's offensive struggles on quarterback instability, but there was no excuse for the defense.

Use of timeouts. This is where Bowles catches the most flak. How many times did they burn a timeout early in a quarter because something was amiss? Unfortunately, there isn't a "bad timeout" stat, but ESPN Stats & Information came up with this chart. It shows that Bowles didn't go through timeouts as quickly as you might have figured. In fact, the stats show he was careful when calling that second timeout. Of course, he had no problem burning the third.

It should be noted that using all three timeouts isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Teams “below” the Jets in that metric include the Titans, Redskins, Falcons, Raiders, Giants and Cheaters -- all of whom had winning records.

how about punting with 4 minutes left when you are behind?  Is there a stat for that?  How about running every single time on 4th and short?  Teams could put 11 in the box the way TB is so predictable.

36 minutes ago, jack48 said:

how about punting with 4 minutes left when you are behind?  Is there a stat for that?  How about running every single time on 4th and short?  Teams could put 11 in the box the way TB is so predictable.

Does Bowles call the plays on 4th down though? Or does he make the decision to go for it, and it's up to Gailey to call the correct play? I doubt Bowles determines if they run or pass on 4th down; his input should only be the decision to go for it or not, IMHO.

He will be our coach next season I think it will be interesting to see what if anything changes. I remember last season where he was a boring rookie coach and we had a good season I don't mind if the guy is boring and doesn't take risks as long as we are competitive in our games.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Does Bowles call the plays on 4th down though? Or does he make the decision to go for it, and it's up to Gailey to call the correct play? I doubt Bowles determines if they run or pass on 4th down; his input should only be the decision to go for it or not, IMHO.

I'm not sure.  Let's call a ******* timeout to discuss it

This is laughable. Bowles is a worse decision maker than Rex Ryan. Usually coaches are responsible but conservative, or irresponsible and aggressive (Rex).

Todd Bowles is somehow the perfect combination of irresponsible and playing like a ******* puzsie.

There was something else he did in week 17 that he did that made me so mad but I can't remember it right now. 

I thought Bowles showed how bad he is in games in last year week 17....

Revis hadn't imploded yet, but in a game the Jets needed to make the playoffs, I could not believe he continually left Revis on an island with Watkins and Watkins just tooling him the whole time.

It happened the entire game, and ended similarly to how AJ Green owned Revis this year. A huge 3rd down then pops up conversion late in the 4th that they ran a slant route and Watkins burned Revis for the 40th time that game. Because Bowles isn't imaginative to change his gameplan when its obvious its not working

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I cant even with this guy anymore.  

Nothing is going to change around here because if it aint broken, it dont need to be fixed.  

Things are perfect. Todd Bowles is the Jets head coach until Sam Donaldson  is a Jet. Then fire him, hire a real coach and then profit. 

I want to bang my head against the wall when I hear these excuses being made for the coach and the gm as to why the team sucked so badly. The team without question sucked something awful this year and went in the wrong direction -the guy that put the team together and the guy that coach the team are two primary reasons for the failure. Stop making excuses-losers make excuses

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Bowles used two of his second half time outs in the first seven minutes of the third quarter. This literally happened five days ago. 

That wouldn't be so bad if he didn't think he was as actually using two time outs in the third quarter from the first half. 

Just now, Beerfish said:

Taking a timeout to let New England march down the field to put a dagger in our backs just before half time was clever as well.

Not to mention my favorite call of the last 25 years, kicking a FG down 41-0. I don't think I will ever get over that one...

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Taking a timeout to let New England march down the field to put a dagger in our backs just before half time was clever as well.

3 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Not to mention my favorite call of the last 25 years, kicking a FG down 41-0. I don't think I will ever get over that one...

Yet fans see this as not being an issue. 

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

The Jets piss away more timeouts than a guy with a bad prostrate .

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

Good point.  

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Would 41-7 have made the outcome any better than 41-3? :(

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Bowles used two of his second half time outs in the first seven minutes of the third quarter. This literally happened five days ago. 

He also kicked a field goal at the end of the 3rd quarter when he could have let the game clock expire, kick the field goal at the beginning of the 4th quarter, and let some time run off the clock after the play and on the ensuing kickoff.  This stuff is pretty elementary.  I am not sure what's wrong with the guy.

Archived