Who's Next to get the axe?

CanadaSteve

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes, I'm pointing my finger at the wrong person.  You know, the person who admitted he divided the locker room and 4 players and the Head Coach confirmed it.  The same player who had been run out of 3 other locker rooms prior to landing with the Jets.

I'm soooooo misguided. 

yes. Thoroughly.  

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The real shame in all this is how much of this dead money is Maccagnan's.  Fitzpatrick, Revis, Skrine, Gilchrist, Forte, Powell, McClendon all have significant dead money hits and other than McClendon and maybe one out of Forte and Powell we probably don't even want any of them on the roster for 2017.  There is also $1.25M in dead money for Clady and Jenkins.  WTF?  The guy has been here for 2 years.  How did he rack up so much dead money?  

The real shame in all this is how much of this dead money is Maccagnan's.  Fitzpatrick, Revis, Skrine, Gilchrist, Forte, Powell, McClendon all have significant dead money hits and other than McClendon and maybe one out of Forte and Powell we probably don't even want any of them on the roster for 2017.  There is also $1.25M in dead money for Clady and Jenkins.  WTF?  The guy has been here for 2 years.  How did he rack up so much dead money?  

why would we release powell , forte , mcclendon and skrine. these guys are serviceable to very good players . besides you still have to replace them , which cost money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, YouPlay2Win said:

why would we release powell , forte , mcclendon and skrine. these guys are serviceable to very good players . besides you still have to replace them , which cost money!

Because other than McClendon and the RBs they are all getting more money than a suitable replacement.  I feel that these 2 RBs are too duplicative to be sinking $10M into, so I would only want one.  That is why. Why won't they release Forte during a rebuild when they have Powell on roster?  There is only one reason - it would cost $6M. 

3 hours ago, Stark said:

Agree with this... I don't think cutting Marshall or Decker is a good idea, I think cutting both just completely destroys any QB's chance of developing. I like Q and Robby A. but I don't think they are ready to be starting 1 & 2 yet.

Those guys would take precious reps from Q and A. With the speed of Dev Smith now back in the picture and the sure hands of Peake I would move on without them. Trade them both for 2018 picks. Load up on that draft year. Lots of cap space to also get a bonifed WR if needed

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I post frequently that dead money is not free

3 hours ago, thadude said:

Bears only got a 5th for Marshall 2 years ago(in addition to also giving the jets their 2017 7th)what are we getting now?

A team like Buffalo who could use someone opposite Sammy Watkins (for instance), would probably pay a 5th or 6th for a player like Brandon at the price he comes it at.  sh*t, imagine Brandon across from Julio Jones or AJ Green for one season?  Would be worth a gamble on their parts for one season, at the price Brandon would come in at.  So would Decker.

But I doubt either guy is dumped or traded.  BUT......, you never know.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Forte, Powell and McClendon are not geting cut nor should they.  Forte was not a fantastic GM move and was one based on a final push to compete with the 2016 roster.  Forte was the missing piece.  It was not a great idea.

Don't know Gilcrist's dead money.  I get the sense that the Jets are cutting the players they DEFINITELY will not keep, and holding the cards on one they might keep.  The Jets have not other answer at FS.   It is a position we have struggled to fill since Kerry Rhodes.  I miss Jim Leonard.  Even if they draft Adams, he may be more of a Pryor replacement.   But Gilcrist is unlikely to be effective in 2017.  Don't know why he is still here, but I am also not seeing a replacement unless we think it can be Doug Middleton or Antonio Allen (unsigned).  I don't think Rontez Miles if replacing Gilcrist.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

Forte, Powell and McClendon are not geting cut nor should they.  Forte was not a fantastic GM move and was one based on a final push to compete with the 2016 roster.  Forte was the missing piece.  It was not a great idea.

Don't know Gilcrist's dead money.  I get the sense that the Jets are cutting the players they DEFINITELY will not keep, and holding the cards on one they might keep.  The Jets have not other answer at FS.   It is a position we have struggled to fill since Kerry Rhodes.  I miss Jim Leonard.  Even if they draft Adams, he may be more of a Pryor replacement.   But Gilcrist is unlikely to be effective in 2017.  Don't know why he is still here, but I am also not seeing a replacement unless we think it can be Doug Middleton or Antonio Allen (unsigned).  I don't think Rontez Miles if replacing Gilcrist.

Cutting Forte or Powell leaves us with a bunch of dead money and saves us nothing, so I can't see  the sense in making either move. Mclendon is a total different story, because he would save us 3+ mil against the cap, is 32 and coming back from injury . There's also a young drafted player at his position who has shown improvement and the Jets didn't take a flyer on Pennell the NT from green Bay for nothing . 

14 minutes ago, varjet said:

I know why they signed Forte.  I also know that it was a bad idea.  Having Forte there is no way I would have wanted Powell, especially with all the guaranteed money.  Powell was on the market in 2015 and come for 1 year at $1.6M, what did he do to earn 3/$12M or whatever he got?  One or the other could be explained.  Both?  I would prefer a bruiser and/or a fast HR back to pair with either. 

I think Gilchrist's dead money is around $1.5 or 1.25M. Middleton and Miles are more bangers than cover guys.  FWIW, I don't think of Allen as a great centerfield safety either.  He can cover man okay, but he hasn't seemed he best in space.  They may keep Gilchrist, but do you think we will be happy about it? 

4 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Short of any big offseason moves, it's extremely unlikely for both Marshall and Decker to go.  We like the young guys at WR, but going with Enunwa and Anderson as your 1 and 2 is hardly a wise move.

Harris and Gilchrist are both guys who will be kept around for now while the Jets look for replacements, given that neither have any guarantees or bonuses of any type coming up this year.  If replacements are found, it could easily lead to them being cut.  Gilchrist I think is more likely in that regard, but Harris is hardly a lock to stay either.

McLendon isn't going anywhere.  A solid player and it would ultimately cost the Jets more to cut him and him replace him with someone on a rookie minimum contract.  Only way he goes is if he gets outright beat in camp by multiple players (or at least, very comparable play from younger players).

Richardson pretty much has to go and I'm sure they'll be talking trades for him like crazy.  That said, if no one bites, they might hold on to him just to get a comp pick back.  However, considering such a comp pick would not come for another 2 years, the Jets could end up being willing to take a lower-than-expected trade offer.  If you play by the rules of future year picks being worth one less round each year, it could be argued that even a 3rd rounder back for Sheldon in 2019 would be equivalent to a 5th this year.  Will be interesting to see what happens with this.

Skrine isn't out of the question either if they are really in rebuild mode, but that would obviously depend on more CBs being brought in this offseason.  If it is to happen, he'd probably be more likely a late-camp cut than one coming soon though.

Would it be completely insane to trade Leonard Williams (who I would imagine we could get a lot for) and move Richardson back to the D-line?  Or, aside from the lunacy of trading a young star like LW, would it be too expensive to sign Richardson anyway (especially after Mo Wilk contract)? 

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Cutting Forte or Powell leaves us with a bunch of dead money and saves us nothing, so I can't see  the sense in making either move. Mclendon is a total different story, because he would save us 3+ mil against the cap, is 32 and coming back from injury . There's also a young drafted player at his position who has shown improvement and the Jets didn't take a flyer on Pennell the NT from green Bay for nothing . 

^ exactly my point.

Maccagnan signed these guys and we are handcuffed.  We can't cut them even if we wanted to.  Since we are rebuilding and up on the cap we would certainly want to cut Forte at least.

FWIW, they did take a flier on Pennel for nothing.  He is not even signed.  He is an RFA.  He is a good guy to take a flier on, but that is all.  The Packers cut him loose for a reason.  The guy was on UDFA with like 5 starts on a sh*t D, let's not make him out to be guaranteed a roster spot. 

5 hours ago, thadude said:

Just 1 year ago Marshall and Decker were considered even by many in the jet-hating media to be the NFL's best WR duo

And now most jets fans want to cut one or both just cuz we didn't have a real Qb on our roster last season

We did have a real QB...he just really sucked the year after he was really good.

story of his career

5 hours ago, thadude said:

Gilchrist is a total JAG even without the injury

Harris is a total liability in coverage but we are staying 3-4 and just got rid of Henderson so I think he stays

Harris was caught from behind after picking off Tom Brady in the 2010 playoff game by 280 LB Alge Crumpler,lol. That was 7 freaking years ago! Our defense couldn't get much worse than it did in 2016 so why would we pay David Harris 6.5 million dollars when we could cut him & save 100% of that money on our cap? Hopefully we could upgrade with Minter with that salary.

Because other than McClendon and the RBs they are all getting more money than a suitable replacement.  I feel that these 2 RBs are too duplicative to be sinking $10M into, so I would only want one.  That is why. Why won't they release Forte during a rebuild when they have Powell on roster?  There is only one reason - it would cost $6M. 

6M seems like a high enough number to eat for a good player .

1 hour ago, Jetdawgg said:

Those guys would take precious reps from Q and A. With the speed of Dev Smith now back in the picture and the sure hands of Peake I would move on without them. Trade them both for 2018 picks. Load up on that draft year. Lots of cap space to also get a bonifed WR if needed

Totally agree...

people keep saying that cutting them both would be throwing our young QB into the fire like geno. Completely different scenario lol. Geno's best receiver was Jeremy Kerley..a 5'9" slot receiver lol.

Quincy has prototype size and speed to be a mismatch every play. Robby if he bulks up 10 more pounds could be a speedy possession receiver. And Peake as a 3rd option is fine with me, along with jalin Marshall and devin smith in the mix.

cut decker and b Marshall.. marshall had so many bad drops that could've been 1st downs and game winners (remember the last drive in the bengals game) and I'd rather keep decker but he is going on 30 and coming off two major surgeries...if we're seriously rebuilding why take the risk?

Fitz was indeed horrible.. but Marshall had horrible drops all year too even after fitz was benched. Decker had a reasonable excuse being injured, but again he's 30. Let the young guys prove themselves. At least then we'll know what receivers are legit to build for the future.

2 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

My guess is Marshall Harris and Gilchrist all get cut

Marshall deserves to be cut. Gilchrist will be injured by the time the season starts so cut him too. Harris I could see keeping only cause he can help develop darron Lee for one more year. And if we find a replacement in the draft for Harris he can coach him to end his contract after this season.

But on top of all that... Harris had a down and injury plagued year and STILL had 95 tackles and was the most consistent LB on the team.. his situation is not like revis, mangold, or even buster skrine he can still play and produce at a high level. At least for one more year to finish his contract, he's worth it. 

I think Harris stays.  Bowles likes his leadership and we don't have tons of depth at LB. 

I'd guess either Marshall is cut or Richardson is traded or both since the two of them did not apparently get along and created chaos in the locker room.

Marshall is getting older and if the rumblings from the locker room last season are true that Marshall was a part of the issue I'm not sure the Jets want him with a young QB.

On the other hand the Jets are giving away Sheldon Richardson autographed mini helmets for Jets rewards maybe they want to screw the fans lol

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Would it be completely insane to trade Leonard Williams (who I would imagine we could get a lot for) and move Richardson back to the D-line?  Or, aside from the lunacy of trading a young star like LW, would it be too expensive to sign Richardson anyway (especially after Mo Wilk contract)? 

Money is the key. LW is on his rookie contract, we just paid Mo big money, we would have to pay Sheldon an even bigger contract than Mo and lets be honest the guy is too unreliable to be worth it. 

LW is aguy you build your team around, not Sheldon who is just looking to get paid at this point in his career.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

^ exactly my point.

Maccagnan signed these guys and we are handcuffed.  We can't cut them even if we wanted to.  Since we are rebuilding and up on the cap we would certainly want to cut Forte at least.

FWIW, they did take a flier on Pennel for nothing.  He is not even signed.  He is an RFA.  He is a good guy to take a flier on, but that is all.  The Packers cut him loose for a reason.  The guy was on UDFA with like 5 starts on a sh*t D, let's not make him out to be guaranteed a roster spot. 

Monetarily,  I would agree, but what I was speculating about was more the reason.  If you could replace an aging NT with a younger payer who has displayed ability in the league and  save 2 mil in cap space across   the transaction why not take a look .

I'll just throw this here also .  I don't think the Jets will do anything with Pryor this year because his cap hit is all guaranteed and would result in total dead money .  

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Well yeah, kind of.  Williams  is younger then Richardson, IMO a better player, not an a--hole.  If Richardson has even a decent year next season he'll be looking for Wilkerson type money.  If he's not in jail.

Nah,not a good idea

7 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Mac has got the axe out and has cut a lot of dead wood (Folk, Breno, Erin Henderson, Revis, Clady)  Who else do you think goes?

Eric Decker   ($5.7 million cap savings, $3 million dead money)

Brandon Marshall ($7 million cap savings, no dead money)

David Harris ($6.5 million cap savings, no dead money)

Marcus Gilchrist ($4.6 million cap savings, $2.6 million dead money)

Steve McLendon ($2.1 million cap savings, $1.7 million dead money)

Sheldon Richardson (More a trade, but has $8 million in savings)

imo gilchrist for sure.  decker probably not. marshall maybe depending on the qb, harris maybe not depending on who they get in free agency , mcclendon maybe since simon seems to be pretty good.  richardson will probably be traded.  one guy you haven't listed is pryor who may just be traded.  some of these will depend on if they get roster bonuses etc.  i believe harris and marshall can be cut at any time.

37 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Skrine

Also, Marshall, Harris, and Gilchrist, obviously.

Keeping both Marshall & Decker means fewer reps for Enunwa, Anderson, Peake & J. Marshall,which is not what you want on this type of team. Keep one, not both

Sent from my SM-G920T using JetNation.com mobile app

Why not cut Decker then - he can't stay on the field

Archived