" Eric Decker could join the exodus of Jets veterans " ~ ~ ~

kelly

4 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Without Decker, Devin Smith, and Jalin Marshall, a 6 man WR corps would be something like

1. Quincy Enunwa
  2. Robbie Anderson
  3. Ardarius Stewart
  4. Chad Hansen
  5. Quinton Patton
  6. Charone Peake

Plus, one, if not two, decent TE's.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Without Decker, Devin Smith, and Jalin Marshall, a 6 man WR corps would be something like

1. Quincy Enunwa
  2. Robbie Anderson
  3. Ardarius Stewart
  4. Chad Hansen
  5. Quinton Patton
  6. Charone Peake

Maybe I am nuts but that does not seem terrible to be. We still need a true #1 and will likely have to draft that but all of them have solid #2 receiver potential which can benefit us matchup wise and not put Hack in a terrible skill position deficit, especially when you add in Bilal and actually having a TE this year.

22 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

1. Quincy Enunwa
  2. Robbie Anderson
  3. Ardarius Stewart
  4. Chad Hansen
  5. Quinton Patton
  6. Charone Peake

Sign me up!  How is that different than the secondary, lbs and TEs?  It is basically what the entire team looks like.

But i have another random prediction:  unless something changes, come Thanksgiving we are going to be talking about how little the Jet RBs have contributed this year.  Macc's hands were tied given the contracts he handed out that were guaranteed in 2017, but I think the WRs end up being better than the RBs.

If QE is going to be used as a WR1 or 2, he should be paid like one.  Use Decker's money to extend him and lock him up.  He has been a good team member.

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

1. Quincy Enunwa
  2. Robbie Anderson
  3. Ardarius Stewart
  4. Chad Hansen
  5. Quinton Patton
  6. Charone Peake

Lol at the ongoing homerism over Robbie Anderson. A #2 WR? Lol!

Drop him to #4 if even that. He's not the next Chrebet.

No Offense but Robby caught 42 passes with a better QB when the league had no film on him. He is still 74.5 lbs soaking wet with rocks in his pockets...I like the kid a lot but I am by no means sold yet.....and who is throwing him the ball again?

10 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

No Offense but Robby caught 42 passes with a better QB when the league had no film on him. He is still 74.5 lbs soaking wet with rocks in his pockets...I like the kid a lot but I am by no means sold yet.....and who is throwing him the ball again?

I don't care if they bring in a FA off the street anything is better than having sh*tzpatrick throwing the ball.

lol Well the #F*CKFITZ show was a disaster from day 1 and you will not find a happier campier about him being dismissed...that being said, we have no idea what we are getting into but we do know what the worst case scenario would be and we also know that since it would in effect be a contract year Fitz would actually be a better QB this year. 

Other than get injured last year, what has he done wrong?  What's the opportunity cost of keeping him at this point - who are we signing with his cap savings?  We need some veterans... never heard anything bad about Decker. 

The whole suck for Sam crowd getting a little too carried away.  At the very least, it's worthwhile for the other WRs development to see Decker work, run routes and handle the media.  

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

RA caught 42 passes last season. That was with a better WR Corps than Stephen Hill a 2nd Round draft choice had when he flopped here. That guy is a gem. If Hill had caught 42 passes as a 2nd rounder some fans here would have been chomping at the bit.

He may have caught more if your guy Futz was not signed.  As I stated last year, with that schedule the Jets needed the deep threat early and often to keep teams honest. With Futz and his pea shooter, lollipop arm it did not happen. Petty had some of his best completions to RA.

Go Jets. Keep stepping up RA. We believe in you.

2 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Other than get injured last year, what has he done wrong?  What's the opportunity cost of keeping him at this point - who are we signing with his cap savings?  We need some veterans... never heard anything bad about Decker. 

The whole suck for Sam crowd getting a little too carried away.  At the very least, it's worthwhile for the other WRs development to see Decker work, run routes and handle the media.  

He screamed for that dud Futz and divided the locker room. Time to move on.

2 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

RA caught 42 passes last season. That was with a better WR Corps than Stephen Hill a 2nd Round draft choice had when he flopped here. That guy is a gem. If Hill had caught 42 passes as a 2nd rounder some fans here would have been chomping at the bit.

He may have caught more if your guy Futz was not signed.  As I stated last year, with that schedule the Jets needed the deep threat early and often to keep teams honest. With Futz and his pea shooter, lollipop arm it did not happen. Petty had some of his best completions to RA.

This isn't about Hill or Fitz.  Or Geno.  Or Wayne Chrebet either.

It's about the same old Homer Over Hype (tm) of Jets Fans, who routinely elevate JAG and borderline backup players to "future elite dreamy dreams" guys with no basis in fact.

If RA is our #2, we are, without question, the drop dead worst #2 WR in the NFL.

I have no doubt he gets beat out for that job, likely this year, early, by one or both of our drafted WR's.  He'll stick on perhaps as the designated long-ball guy and #4 WR, which suits his limited talents.  And with big armed QB's in PEtty and Hack, that's just fine and good enough.  No need to pretend he is something he isn't (i.e. a starter quality WR).

He screamed for that dud Futz and divided the locker room. Time to move on.

He lobbied for the quarterback who just helped him, and the jets, win ten games.  I don't hold wanting Fitz back against Decker, nor do I think that divided the locker room.   

Totally agree. Anderson has a knack for getting open on the deep routes. He just needs a QB who can get him the ball. 

He might not be the next Randy Moss, but he has the talent to make plays.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

This isn't about Hill or Fitz.  Or Geno.  Or Wayne Chrebet either.

It's about the same old Homer Over Hype (tm) of Jets Fans, who routinely elevate JAG and borderline backup players to "future elite dreamy dreams" guys with no basis in fact.

If RA is our #2, we are, without question, the drop dead worst #2 WR in the NFL.

I have no doubt he gets beat out for that job, likely this year, early, by one or both of our drafted WR's.  He'll stick on perhaps as the designated long-ball guy and #4 WR, which suits his limited talents.  And with big armed QB's in PEtty and Hack, that's just fine and good enough.  No need to pretend he is something he isn't (i.e. a starter quality WR).

Since when do you define what things are about for me? You don't. I am extremely capable of doing that myself. 

The stats about RA speak for themselves. Your arrogance is what got you on the wrong side of the Futz argument. The coaches on the Jets are better this season. RA has had an offseason to improve and may have a trajectory just like The Q.

I am really rooting for him as he has had to overcome a great deal because of his selection status. Go Jets

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

He lobbied for the quarterback who just helped him, and the jets, win ten games.  I don't hold wanting Fitz back against Decker, nor do I think that divided the locker room.   

You are entitled to your thoughts. Funny how he has not lobbied for anyone this year. He is a WR on the Jets not the GM

53 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Totally agree. Anderson has a knack for getting open on the deep routes. He just needs a QB who can get him the ball. 

He might not be the next Randy Moss, but he has the talent to make plays.

Get the ball into the hands of your playmakers. RA with his 4.2 speed is one of them. His legs move so quickly. Much faster than the defenders who guard him. RA gave Sherman a difficult time last season. If only that wet noodle armed disaster at QB could have reached him downfield.

I think the fans (at least this one) will understand if we stick with the players that COULD play in a playoff game.

No Decker.

No SR.

No Pryor.

No Gilcrist

No Skrine.

Yes, the team could be worse, but at least it will be an honest reflection of the future

39 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Since when do you define what things are about for me? You don't. I am extremely capable of doing that myself. 

The stats about RA speak for themselves. Your arrogance is what got you on the wrong side of the Futz argument. The coaches on the Jets are better this season. RA has had an offseason to improve and may have a trajectory just like The Q.

I am really rooting for him as he has had to overcome a great deal because of his selection status. Go Jets

Great post.

So.... let me get this straight:

Without Decker, Jalin Marshall, and Devin Smith, you're saying Robbie Anderson as the #2 is homerism?

So you'd go with Charone Peake as our #2? Hansen? Stewart?

This isn't fantasy football, jack. They've got the players they have.

Troll much?

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

He doesn't need to be he just needs to be Robbie Anderson and keep making Explosive plays for us ..

4 hours ago, the Claw said:

So.... let me get this straight:

Without Decker, Jalin Marshall, and Devin Smith, you're saying Robbie Anderson as the #2 is homerism?

So you'd go with Charone Peake as our #2? Hansen? Stewart?

This isn't fantasy football, jack. They've got the players they have.

Troll much?

Peake runs a 4.3. The Jets may even have a competent and sober TE. If the Jets play match-up football pitting the young and speedy WR's v the 3-4-5 DB's, they can actually win their share of those match-ups.

When you really look at this O, They an give any secondary issues. Decker is not a number 1 WR. He is crafty. Coming off of an injury plagued season at his cost is a large price to pay when there are young targets now in place.

Time for the Jets to develop their own players. IMO The Q is now the leader of this WR Corps. Let Decker win a SB in another town. His ship has sailed here.

On 5/3/2017 at 0:48 PM, varjet said:

I am sure there is a scientific study on this somewhere, but intuitively it seems like a player really needs the full offseason to train their body for the actual football season.

Players that do not recover and are not in condition by June end up getting hurt again or are not effective.  This is the Devin Smith/Breno problem.

So, notwithstanding the value of having Decker catch passes from the young QBs, if he is still not ready to train and is shoulder is still recovering, I can easily see him not being of much use despite the best of intentions.

In balance, I think the Jets are better off with his cap space then his actually being on the team.

Maybe. I think some players just stick in peoples' minds more than others.

Adrian Peterson ripped up his ACL and MCL in December, so he clearly wasn't in condition by the following June, and then had 2100 yards that season.

To a (far) lesser extent, Joe Flacco was still able to drop back like 700x for 4300+ yes, and he wasn't close to playing shape by June either. His effectiveness was a little less because of an unrelated shoulder injury (even our sorry secondary made him look bad). 

Kyle Williams wasn't nearly ready in June and he had a great 2016 season.

Aqib Talib shot himself in the ass or leg or whatever in June - I'd say clearly interrupting his conditioning - and was then the NFL's best corner that same season.

And how could any Jets fan forget the great Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2015? He certainly wasn't right in June of that year.

I don't even love the guy but there are still almost 4 months to decide if he's well enough to warrant keeping. They can dump him on final cutdown day, if desired, without paying him another dime. No rush.

16 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Are your blatant and ongoing racial bias is what got you on the wrong side of the Geno Smith argument.

Given that, it's hard not to see you talking up the limited skill set of the UDFA R.A. for reasons that have nothing to do with his skill on the football field, but are based purely on his skin tone compared to the skin tone of our newly drafted superior prospect 4th round pick WR.

16 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

I'm rooting for the Jets. That's the difference between you and I. I root the laundry, you root for only specific players for..other reasons.

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Are your blatant and ongoing racial bias is what got you on the wrong side of the Geno Smith argument.

Given that, it's hard not to see you talking up the limited skill set of the UDFA R.A. for reasons that have nothing to do with his skill on the football field, but are based purely on his skin tone compared to the skin tone of our newly drafted superior prospect 4th round pick WR.

I'm rooting for the Jets. That's the difference between you and I. I root the laundry, you root for only specific players for..other reasons.

RA is a player on the Jets. It is cool to root for a player AND the team

You continue to bring race into the Smith argument. Let me school you again; I never brought race into that argument. GS is STILL a better QB than anyone the Jets have on their current roster. 

Youj just have issues with facts. Please find where I posted content FIRST about Smith being an AA QB. That is just ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

GS is STILL a better QB than anyone the Jets have on their current roster. 

Youj just have issues with facts. 

That's the other difference, I admit when I'm wrong (like on Fitz).

You keep that Geno dream alive. 

Just now, Warfish said:

That's the other difference, I admit when I'm wrong (like on Fitz).

You keep that Geno dream alive. 

I challenged you to find a post like that! Don't just make sh1t up. I make intelligent decisions. Claiming Smith had issues here because he is an AA is not a decision I would make unless I could prove it.

You have issues and can certainly keep them

20 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

8.75M Cap Hit minus $3M in dead money.  $7.25M is his base salary not total Cap hit. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/

Decker has a $7.25m salary. If the Jets don't pay it then it saves $7.25m. The only money that comes off the cap is money paid by the team to the player.

Here's what you're missing: the dead money ($3m remaining) is dead whether they keep him or cut him. It's a sunk cost; it's already gone. They already paid him that $3m and it all still needs to come off the cap. Rules are rules.

See, the "extra" $1.5m amortized signing bonus amount doesn't only appear if he's cut (as though it was punitive). If another $1.5m accelerates to 2017 by cutting him pre-June 1,  it will then therefore not count in 2018. It only comes off once, but it has to come off if they paid him the money. So it's either $1.5m this year and $1.5m next year ($3m total), or $3m all this year and $0 next year (still $3m total). It's the same amount.

Look at it this way to make the math easier for you, if you don't believe me: go back to that same team chart and see what happens if he's cut after June 1st this year. What you'll see is this year's amortized cap hit stays the same at $1.5m, and the balance (in his case, just another $1.5m) accelerates to the next year in 2018, even though the Jets haven't paid him a dime since the 2016 season ended. It's still $3m total.

This leads back to the original point: cutting Eric Decker saves $7.25m.

Archived