Combine Rumor: Jets to make big push for Glennon

RutgersJetFan

7 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

No it didn't. I think that may have been having no confidence in Glennon and playing a scrub instead of him. I have love for Smith but he still drafted another QB rather than give Glennon a chance. Even the new coaching staff gave Winston the ball instead of Glennon. See a pattern here?

I'm not Glennon Pom-Pom waver, but you're underestimating how stupid Lovie Smith is and giving him way more credit than he deserves.  

The whole idea of acquiring and starting the "Human Helicopter" Josh McCown over a young QB who showed serious promise his first season was as stupid of a decision as I've ever seen by a coach/FO.  Especially when you take into account that the organization made it pretty clear that they were in the process of starting a rebuild the second they walked through the doors of Tampa's facilities.  They cut a huge portion of their team and sat on some CAP for the future, so out of all the guys they DID sign that year, why they chose a 30-something year old career journeyman QB when the whole goal was to play and evaluate the young talent from day 1 (see: Mike Glennon) was beyond me.

Regarding Winston:  His off the field BS (that he was found innocent of) aside, Jameis was a supremely talented blue-chip prospect.  After stupidly wasting a year on McCown instead of Glennon, the only thing that dumbass team could have done that would have been worse was pass on a potentially generational QB for a guy that they already proved they had zero intentions of ever committing to because he was a leftover from the past regime.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking more and more likely that Glennon will be heading to the Bears, and that we're holding out for Tyrod (according to the "reliable" Manish Mehta)

Can't blame him for picking Chicago, better situation than us!

Tyrod will resign with the Bills...

At this rate, best option left will be Cutler..... still not sure how to feel about that, depressed or cautiously optimistic...

Sent from my EVA-L09 using JetNation.com mobile app

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yes they drafted a guy who threw for 8000 yards in his first two seasons and they played him.

Made a typo on that last post. It should have read I have no love for Smith. A poor attempt at humor. Yes he did throw for 8000 yards in 2 seasons but you left out the part where the Bucs had serious concerns about Winstons conditioning and their doubt of his ability to handle the pro style offense. All of that was explained in an article I posted earlier. Yet they still went with him over the more experienced Glennon.

5 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I'm not Glennon Pom-Pom waver, but you're underestimating how stupid Lovie Smith is and giving him way more credit than he deserves.  

The whole idea of acquiring and starting the "Human Helicopter" Josh McCown over a young QB who showed serious promise his first season was as stupid of a decision as I've ever seen by a coach/FO.  Especially when you take into account that the organization made it pretty clear that they were in the process of starting a rebuild the second they walked through the doors of Tampa's facilities.  They cut a huge portion of their team and sat on some CAP for the future, so out of all the guys they DID sign that year, why they chose a 30-something year old career journeyman QB when the whole goal was to play and evaluate the young talent from day 1 (see: Mike Glennon) was beyond me.

Regarding Winston:  His off the field BS (that he was found innocent of) aside, Jameis was a supremely talented blue-chip prospect.  After stupidly wasting a year on McCown instead of Glennon, the only thing that dumbass team could have done that would have been worse was pass on a potentially generational QB for a guy that they already proved they had zero intentions of ever committing to because he was a leftover from the past regime.

That post your quoting had a typo. It should have read I have no love for Smith. Just a poor attempt at humor.

Or maybe they didn't like they saw of Glennon's play already and decided that he was not the future and felt McCown was simply the better choice for their offense. I don't see how McCown could be the choice for anyone's offense but that might be a result of their evaluation of Glennon's shortcoming's and not McCowns.

On Winston: I posted an article earlier on the coaching staff's misgivings about starting Winston yet they still did anyway. The article talked about conditioning issue's and what they felt about his inability to run their pro-style offense right away. Yet they still started Winston over Glennon. Was Smith still being Stupid then? Or was he so down on Glennon that he still felt with all his shortcomings Winston was better than a guy with NFL starts under his belt? Here is the article for those who missed it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2536097-jameis-winston-named-buccaneers-starting-quarterback-over-mike-glennon

15 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

No it didn't. I think that may have been having no confidence in Glennon and playing a scrub instead of him. I have love for Smith but he still drafted another QB rather than give Glennon a chance. Even the new coaching staff gave Winston the ball instead of Glennon. See a pattern here?

The scrub was coming off a 13 TD/ 1 INT season though. I don't think anyone rates Lovie's ability at finding a QB. He always put that on his coordinators while he focused on just defense. And as for the Jameis argument, uhhh its Famous Jameis? If you pick someone #1 overall especially since Jameis came out of a pro system he had better be playing Day 1.

Is Glennon great, no, but you can get to respectability with a 2/1 TD-INT ratio.

24 minutes ago, Toua77 said:

The scrub was coming off a 13 TD/ 1 INT season though. I don't think anyone rates Lovie's ability at finding a QB. He always put that on his coordinators while he focused on just defense. And as for the Jameis argument, uhhh its Famous Jameis? If you pick someone #1 overall especially since Jameis came out of a pro system he had better be playing Day 1.

Is Glennon great, no, but you can get to respectability with a 2/1 TD-INT ratio.

24 minutes ago, Toua77 said:

I think your mistaken. The scrub I was referring too was McCown not Glennon.

46 minutes ago, JiF said:

You havent seen 1 play Football and the last time you saw Mike Glennon play Football was 3 years ago.

Wrong and wrong.

Saw Hack throw hundreds of passes this past season and could count the spirals on one hand.

Glennon went 10-11 w/ a TD last time I saw him play in an NFL game this past season.

Moot point though.  Glennon rumored to Chicago and I think the 9ers make a big push.

Jets will be make Cutler an offer.  He will cry, and then retire.

Jets will sign Kaep or some other QB nobody else wants.

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Wrong and wrong.

Saw Hack throw hundreds of passes this past season and could count the spirals on one hand.

Glennon went 10-11 w/ a TD last time I saw him play in an NFL game this past season.

Moot point though.  Glennon rumored to Chicago and I think the 9ers make a big push.

Jets will be make Cutler an offer.  He will cry, and then retire.

Jets will sign Kaep or some other QB nobody else wants.

You talking about practice?  

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

You talking about practice?  

I'm talking about the physical act of putting a football in your hand and throwing it forward.

If you can't throw a football in practice or PS game, why would you suddenly be able to do it in a game?

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

I'm talking about the physical act of putting a football in your hand and throwing it forward.

If you can't throw a football in practice or PS game, why would you suddenly be able to do it in a game?

Oh, so you mean, you've never actually seen said player, play?

Gotcha. 

Hack may suck, maybe he has improved since last training camp, who knows.  What I do know, is you dont. 

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yes they drafted a guy who threw for 8000 yards in his first two seasons and they played him.

So you're saying Glennon is incapable of throwing for 4,000 yards a season and Tampa knew it and took steps to get a guy who could?

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Oh, so you mean, you've never actually seen said player, play?

Gotcha. 

Hack may suck, maybe he has improved since last training camp, who knows.  What I do know, is you dont. 

I've seen said quarterback attempt to throw a football and he's he was terrible at it.

In practice, and when the team begrudgingly put him in to a game.

Are you going to pretend this isn't an important skill for a QB to possess?

We both know the team wouldn't even let him take a single snap in a lost season. Maybe it was because he improved so much, that they didn't want to reveal their secret weapon in a lost season.

3 hours ago, JETdawg1389 said:

Looking more and more likely that Glennon will be heading to the Bears, and that we're holding out for Tyrod (according to the "reliable" Manish Mehta)

Can't blame him for picking Chicago, better situation than us!

Tyrod will resign with the Bills...

At this rate, best option left will be Cutler..... still not sure how to feel about that, depressed or cautiously optimistic...

Sent from my EVA-L09 using JetNation.com mobile app

Why do you seem to fear a Petty/Hack/whomever season at QB?

You know we're not going to be good in 2017 right?  Glennon, Tyrod, Culter, Hoyer, not one of those guys will make us a contender in 2017.

So why fear a year where our two draft picks get a full regular season tryout for the job?

At worst, they both tank, we still suck (which we will regardless) and we go all in on QB in 2018.

At best, one wins the job and shows they can be the guy eliminating any need to draft a QB or pay huge sums.

It's a no lose situation, we suck no matter who we have at QB in 2017, but at least we know what to do and who we have.  

What the hell does a old downside guy like Cutler do for us?  Win one extra game in a 5 win 2017 campaign?  

Forrest, Trees.  

22 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I've seen said quarterback attempt to throw a football and he's he was terrible at it.

In practice, and when the team begrudgingly put him in to a game.

Are you going to pretend this isn't an important skill for a QB to possess?

We both know the team wouldn't even let him take a single snap in a lost season. Maybe it was because he improved so much, that they didn't want to reveal their secret weapon in a lost season.

I'm just busting your balls and laughing at this Glennon obsession.

Hack was once considered the best QB prospect in the country. Mike Glennon?  Not so much.  I guess I'd prefer holding out for hope that there has been some improvement with Hack rather than wasting our time and money on Glennon.  

16 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well ya Winston wasn't the best Qb prospect to come out of college in 5 years or nothing 

And the Bucs offered Glennon a huge contract extension.  They must really think he sucks

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Hack was once considered the best QB prospect in the country. Mike Glennon?  Not so much.  I guess I'd prefer holding out for hope that there has been some improvement with Hack rather than wasting our time and money on Glennon.  

Hackenberg f-cking sucks

4 minutes ago, thadude said:

Hackenberg f-cking sucks

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Solid analysis. 

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Short, sweet and accurate.  The best kind of analysis.

No one does it better.

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm sure Hack was much better than Glennon in High School, too. 

Fact is, Glennon played and played well as a rookie in the NFL.  Hack was treated like a top secret asset vital to national security...nobody was allowed to see him.

I still hold out hope that Hack will be great, but every time I try to think of an NFL great who needed  a couple of years to learn how to throw the ball, nobody comes to mind.

Obsessed?  Probably.  After 30 years of bum QB's, I'm pretty hooked on the idea of a young QB who is ready to play tomorrow and has shown that he can play well against elite defenses despite a garbage supporting cast.

But, I'm sure it'll be Cutler, Hoyer or Geno...because, Jets.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I'm sure Hack was much better than Glennon in High School, too. 

Fact is, Glennon played and played well as a rookie in the NFL.  Hack was treated like a top secret asset vital to national security...nobody was allowed to see him.

I still hold out hope that Hack will be great, but every time I try to think of an NFL great who needed  a couple of years to learn how to throw the ball, nobody comes to mind.

Obsessed?  Probably.  After 30 years of bum QB's, I'm pretty hooked on the idea of a young QB who is ready to play tomorrow and has shown that he can play well against elite defenses despite a garbage supporting cast.

But, I'm sure it'll be Cutler, Hoyer or Geno...because, Jets.

I'm sure Hack threw a tight spiral in gym class.  It's only been 6 years since we even made the playoffs what's another 5-6 years?

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

So you're saying Glennon is incapable of throwing for 4,000 yards a season and Tampa knew it and took steps to get a guy who could?

Oh stop.

The Bucs had the first pick in the draft and a franchise QB was there, so they took him. Lovie Smith was on a short leash and had to go with the sure thing.

14 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Oh stop.

The Bucs had the first pick in the draft and a franchise QB was there, so they took him. Lovie Smith was on a short leash and had to go with the sure thing.

Are you implying Lovie Smith isn't the greatest evaluator of the Qb position in the history of football?

Archived