Combine Rumor: Jets to make big push for Glennon

RutgersJetFan

48 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The entire Glennon issue for me comes down to the contract.  I think he can be a fairly good QB but I don;t view him as a guy you commit to long term.  If we can get him eihter cheap or even expensive for a short term then fine but I'll be upset if we over pay or over term.

Yeah we get it we're only $30 mil under the cap with no real QB for 20 years lets play cheapo with the most important position by far while continuing to pay underperforming interior DL $20 million per year

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

If you are signing Glennon to be a "hold the fort" guy, I think it's a terrible move. We all need to accept the fact that this team is going to be bad next year. 

Any realistic fan can see that the current Jets roster is one of the worst in the league. Why add a hold the fort QB?

Our roster sucks because we have no qb

But I guess we need to solidify the backup punter situation before we are allowed to try to get a qb who doesn't suck

51 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The entire Glennon issue for me comes down to the contract.  I think he can be a fairly good QB but I don;t view him as a guy you commit to long term.  If we can get him eihter cheap or even expensive for a short term then fine but I'll be upset if we over pay or over term.

Overpaying is never good. For me it's a matter of whether they overpay so much that the team stays clear of any other serious QB options for the next 2 years because of it. It's a good amount of the reason I didn't like Fitzpatrick's contract; sign him to $7m and he gets benched, and people shrug their shoulders. Pay this 30something incumbent actual starter money as a UFA then, from a PR perspective, it's not so easy for them to bench him for a kid who has a low chance of immediate success himself.

In other words, if they turn down drafting, say, Watson because they're convinced he'll suck, and would still pass on him if they had Glennon locked up at $7m per, then that's one thing. If they truly like him but pass because they guaranteed Glennon $35m over the upcoming 2 years, then the contract is a problem and they'd better be right about him. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not sure what this is based on but If you say so.

You give me a roster at QB of Watson or Trubisky, Petty, Hackenberg and McCown and I'm satisfied.  If I didn't believe that Geno Smith would be a pain in the rear and of zero help to the kids, I would replace McCown with him .  

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Overpaying is never good. For me it's a matter of whether they overpay so much that the team stays clear of any other serious QB options for the next 2 years because of it. It's a good amount of the reason I didn't like Fitzpatrick's contract; sign him to $7m and he gets benched, and people shrug their shoulders. Pay this 30something incumbent actual starter money as a UFA then, from a PR perspective, it's not so easy for them to bench him for a kid who has a low chance of immediate success himself.

In other words, if they turn down drafting, say, Watson because they're convinced he'll suck, and would still pass on him if they had Glennon locked up at $7m per, then that's one thing. If they truly like him but pass because they guaranteed Glennon $35m over the upcoming 2 years, then the contract is a problem and they'd better be right about him. 

Overpaying is never good, but there are times when it seems like overpaying and it turns out that it isn't.  Bradford is a perfect example of that.  Many of us thought that Philly was crazy to give him that deal and then they were able to roll him for a 1st and a 4th.  

Saw this on WalterFootball, a site that generally goes out of its way to slam the Jets: 

jetsb_logo.gif New York Jets: Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU LSU_logo.gif 
I previously slotted Mitch Trubisky here, citing some news story that the Jets had interest in him. Charlie Campbell squashed those reports in his Senior Bowl Rumor Mill. The scuttlebutt is that Christian Hackenberg has developed well behind the scenes, so perhaps the Jets won't give up on him without seeing him play after all. 

If this is true, Leonard Fournette suddenly becomes the favorite for this pick. The Jets don't have a viable starting running for the future, and Fournette is a stud. Fournette is considered the top running back prospect since Adrian Peterson, as he's received higher grades than Todd Gurley and Ezekiel Elliott. He was slowed by an injury in 2016, but his tape in 2015 was some of the best a running back prospect has ever displayed. 

Just thought it was interesting. 

My guess is that Glennon visits Chicago 1st, and they don't let him leave w/o a contract.  Tyrod hasn't been cut yet, seems strange.  Think he winds up staying in Buffalo somehow.  If we're looking for a vet for just the purposes of acquiring a vet in a season the F/O doesn't expect to be competitive, I'd call up the Sanchize.  He actually did a nice job as a mentor in Dallas.  He didn't bitch and moan like Fitz when he lost his job in Denver.  

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Overpaying is never good, but there are times when it seems like overpaying and it turns out that it isn't.  Bradford is a perfect example of that.  Many of us thought that Philly was crazy to give him that deal and then they were able to roll him for a 1st and a 4th.  

Totally agree. I don't think Phi was thinking of flipping Bradford when they signed Wentz. Just that signing him was a means to an end; that they wanted Wentz but it was hardly a sure thing that they'd have the ammunition to acquire him. 

Doubt we'd be able to flip Glennon for a 1st and a 4th, but as long as this isn't his Revis/Cro/Skrine pickup, that makes him stay away from other serious DBs/prospects like they're radioactive, I'm fine with it since he's young.

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

If Macc really wanted Glennon, he would have offered Tampa our #2 last year, which they probably would have jumped on. Since he drafted Hackenberg instead, I think that pretty much tells you who he thinks is the better QB. 

That is scary if Mac thinks Hack is better than anyone let alone Glennon 

On 3/4/2017 at 6:40 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

That is such a Jetsian story.

Jets will push hard for a player in free agency BUT, he'll sign elsewhere.

Mac has opened a lot of cap space to sign Glennon, so I think he gets it done.  Whether that's the right move is a different story

10 minutes ago, SMC said:

That is such a Jetsian story.

Jets will push hard for a player in free agency BUT, he'll sign elsewhere.

Mac has opened a lot of cap space to sign Glennon, so I think he gets it done.  Whether that's the right move is a different story

i don't think glennon will sign here.  his goal is to be the clear starter.  well, the bears don't have hackenberg sitting on the bench.  and we can debate till the cows come home whether he'll ever amount to anything, glennon is better off on chicago, where, even if they draft someone, there will be no competition.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

i don't think glennon will sign here.  his goal is to be the clear starter.  well, the bears don't have hackenberg sitting on the bench.  and we can debate till the cows come home whether he'll ever amount to anything, glennon is better off on chicago, where, even if they draft someone, there will be no competition.  

Your not serious?

Just now, thadude said:

Your not serious?

i am.  i think hack gets a legit shot at the job this season. even if glennon is brought in, hackenberg is still this regime's most important draft pick and he will be given every opportunity to win the job.  hackenberg is the one with the upside, and hackenberg is the one who, if he pans out, would change the perception of the team's fortunes.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i am.  i think hack gets a legit shot at the job this season. even if glennon is brought in, hackenberg is still this regime's most important draft pick and he will be given every opportunity to win the job.  hackenberg is the one with the upside, and hackenberg is the one who, if he pans out, would change the perception of the team's fortunes.

Of course that would depend upon him winning the job by wowing or winning the job by being merely the best of a bad bunch. Like many, I've my fill of the latter.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Of course that would depend upon him winning the job by wowing or winning the job by being merely the best of a bad bunch. Like many, I've my fill of the latter.

my main point was, even if the jets get glennon, it's still in the jets' best interests if hack outplays him in TC and emerges as the starter.  

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Jets sources tell me they are unlikely to draft a QB in the early rounds. NY doesn't like any of the early QBs:

lmfao but they liked Christian Hackenburg enough to take him the 2nd round and are actually considering adding Mike ******* Glennon?

I ******* hate this team. 

Just now, Augustiniak said:

my main point was, even if the jets get glennon, it's still in the jets' best interests if hack outplays him in TC and emerges as the starter.  

No doubt. Just saying he could outplay Glennon in TC, emerge as the starter, and still not be very good.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

lmfao but they liked Christian Hackenburg enough to take him the 2nd round and are actually considering adding Mike ******* Glennon?

I ******* hate this team. 

At some point you have to question the talent evaluators

8 minutes ago, SMC said:

At some point you have to question the talent evaluators

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ive been questioning them for years. 

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

With enough data. There is too little data.

Then again, to be an optimist, this could all be a smokescreen by the Jets

Archived