Hypothetical trade proposal of QB Cousins to Jets?

UnknownJetFan

As shown in link below there may be bad blood between Washington and the 49ers that could squash the trade for QB Cousins. We have a pretty good relationship with Washington as we have traded with them in the past, though one year they signed a bunch of our guys, but that's no biggy. Anyhow, they know next year they will lose him for only at best a 3rd round comp pick. Would it be worth us packaging some type of fair deal since they will lose him soon anyway of something to the affect of Richardson, and a swap of our 1st round picks this year. If we need to sweeten the pot they get one of our 3rd rounders this year. That would be a win-win for both teams to some degree in that we still have 6 draft picks this year and can take maybe an Olineman with the 1st round pick they give us, plus we get a starting QB. Meanwhile they get the 6th overall pick and a 3rd in 2017 draft, Richardson, and can get a QB by either taking Romo(Forget the unwritten rule of not moving between division teams since Favre did it), or they can draft a QB at 6 though they seem to want to win now and may not have patience with a rookie QB. In any event what does the forum think on this?.   

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/08/bad-blood-may-keep-washington-from-dealing-with-49ers/

Well the Niners signed that beast Hoyer. Why would they want a guy who can actually throw the ball? I'm torn on Counsins simply because after all is said and done I believe the Skins aren't trading him. Plus wouldn't it cost like 24 mil for this season alone? That's a lot of cabbage to give one player on a team with this many holes.

Just now, NoBowles said:

Man, I'm just not sure Cousins is quite that good. He is wildly inconsistent and does not really beat good teams.

Washington Defense sucks and they have no running game.  Any success the skins had last season was basically always being carried by Cousins.  Give that man a defense and a decent run game and he is going to destroy teams.

His last 2 seasons he is a top QB in the league.  And he had like 67% completion % last season too.  I haven't been shy about my bromance with Cousins.  I would happily pay him 25 million to play for the NY Jets.  I'd even give away our 1st this year, Sheldon Richardson and a 2018 4th rounder (conditional 3rd) as well.

2 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Washington Defense sucks and they have no running game.  Any success the skins had last season was basically always being carried by Cousins.  Give that man a defense and a decent run game and he is going to destroy teams.

His last 2 seasons he is a top QB in the league.  And he had like 67% completion % last season too.  I haven't been shy about my bromance with Cousins.  I would happily pay him 25 million to play for the NY Jets.  I'd even give away our 1st this year, Sheldon Richardson and a 2018 4th rounder (conditional 3rd) as well.

Fair points

33 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

As shown in link below there may be bad blood between Washington and the 49ers that could squash the trade for QB Cousins. We have a pretty good relationship with Washington as we have traded with them in the past, though one year they signed a bunch of our guys, but that's no biggy. Anyhow, they know next year they will lose him for only at best a 3rd round comp pick. Would it be worth us packaging some type of fair deal since they will lose him soon anyway of something to the affect of Richardson, and a swap of our 1st round picks this year. If we need to sweeten the pot they get one of our 3rd rounders this year. That would be a win-win for both teams to some degree in that we still have 6 draft picks this year and can take maybe an Olineman with the 1st round pick they give us, plus we get a starting QB. Meanwhile they get the 6th overall pick and a 3rd in 2017 draft, Richardson, and can get a QB by either taking Romo(Forget the unwritten rule of not moving between division teams since Favre did it), or they can draft a QB at 6 though they seem to want to win now and may not have patience with a rookie QB. In any event what does the forum think on this?.   

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/08/bad-blood-may-keep-washington-from-dealing-with-49ers/

A swap of 1's + Richardson and a 3 would be great for the Jets.  

55 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Man, I'm just not sure Cousins is quite that good. He is wildly inconsistent and does not really beat good teams.

He threw for almost 5,000 yards and 2:1 Td/Int with  a bunch of past their prime WRs.  He would be the best QB we've had in a very long time, decades.

But right now, he is playing for Gruden.  He wants to play Shanahan.  He's said that the Niners are the only team he would accept a trade to.

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

This. Excellent point and I totally feel the same way. Every time I see Cousins play he is throwing picks.

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Id do that trade but Washington will get the equivalent of 2 first for him. So maybe something like Richardson this years first next years and we get back a 2nd next year.

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Would it be worth us packaging some type of fair deal since they will lose him soon anyway of something to the affect of Richardson, and a swap of our 1st round picks this year. If we need to sweeten the pot they get one of our 3rd rounders this year. That would be a win-win for both teams to some degree in that we still have 6 draft picks this year and can take maybe an Olineman with the 1st round pick they give us, plus we get a starting QB. Meanwhile they get the 6th overall pick and a 3rd in 2017 draft, Richardson, and can get a QB by either taking Romo(Forget the unwritten rule of not moving between division teams since Favre did it), or they can draft a QB at 6 though they seem to want to win now and may not have patience with a rookie QB. 

Do you really think cousins is worth Richardson, a 3rd round pick, and a 6th overall pick? He's good no doubt, but there are consistency issues that don't show in the stats...

there's times where he looks like a deer in the headlights on the field, and throws knuckleballs into the ground

pierre garçon is a very underrated possession receiver. Desean Jackson is still one of the fastest vertical receivers in the league. And Jordan reed has turned into a monster the last 2 years. He has legit weapons, most QB's would have a field day with that receiving core.

Again, he is good no doubt. But I'm not giving up Sheldon rich(who is a very versatile DL and pro bowl level talent on the field) a 3rd rounder and basically a top 5 draft pick for a guy like Kirk cousins..

2 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I would be good with this deal provided it was contingent upon Cousins signing a long term deal. Bring this years $# down on the long term deal and eliminate Richardsons $8mil and the cap impact is very doable.

40 minutes ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

Again, he is good no doubt. But I'm not giving up Sheldon rich(who is a very versatile DL and pro bowl level talent on the field) a 3rd rounder and basically a top 5 draft pick for a guy like Kirk cousins..

Keep in mind Richardson is as good as gone after this year anyway.

2 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

A)  Not even CLOSE to enough to get Kirk Cousins....not even close.  Richardson, our first and MAYBE a 2nd.  And that is a big maybe.

B. Its not happening.  He doesn't want to play here, but in San Fran with Shanahan.

4 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Anyone advocating trading for Cousins clearly is only looking at the box scores, not watching him play.

Couldn't get the job done facing a Giants team with nothing to play for.  We can't pay Glennon but we can give this guy $120 million+ plus trade multiple picks gtfo

4 hours ago, 20andOut said:

Keep in mind Richardson is as good as gone after this year anyway.

Why?  He's an underperforming headcase one strike away from a lifetime ban he won't exactly be setting the market ablaze in 2018

8 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Anyone advocating trading for Cousins clearly is only looking at the box scores, not watching him play.

I agreew ith this. I have never seen him good when I have watched him. So I don;t like the stat thing either. If he was good some of the time, maybe I would discount the bad I have seen.  Another "inexplicable INT" guy.

I still recall the analysis that said Washington were right to franchise him last year ... described him as a guy you can with with, but not a guy you win because of.

I know he'd be night and day compared to our QB situation for the past X years ... but ultimately we have to believe he can win us a championship. I don't believe he can ... same argument that's used against Sanchize, any QB can look good with a top running game / dominant D / weaponz. The true good ones look good WITHOUT all that.

14 hours ago, 20andOut said:

I would be good with this deal provided it was contingent upon Cousins signing a long term deal. Bring this years $# down on the long term deal and eliminate Richardsons $8mil and the cap impact is very doable.

Absolutely!  No way I would give up that equity without the guarantee of a long term contract b/c I would be putting the entire franchise behind him.

15 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Gee, I said swap the 6th with their 1st pick, not just give them the 6th.

I know lol. But Washington picks 17th, you're essentially "giving away" a premium pick for a low teens pick. I'm not swapping that and giving up a 3rd for a guy like Kirk cousins. If you said 5th or 6th rd pick then ok maybe but Sheldon rich is still a very good player even with off field issues. 

Thats a lot for a guy who's borderline (barely) tier 2-(really) tier 3.  Not worth it, Kirk cousins wouldn't be helping this jets team win anytime soon.

he keeps getting franchised for a reason. Washington doesn't want to commit a long term mega deal to him for years.

Kirk Cousins is worthy of the label so many fans have given Phillip Rivers...he's a "stats padder". 

Im not sold on Kirk Cousins, not regarding his physical ability, obviously he can spinn the ball, im talking about his ability to show up for big games. People will bring up all types of stats on why this guy is such a big shot, but I see a guy who went to the playoffs in 2015 with a 9-7 record, clinching his division because the other 3 teams all had losing records. A QB on a 9-7 team that didnt beat 1 team with a winning record. Let me give you an example of how bad it was. 

I said that 2015's Jets season was the easiest schedule I've ever seen the Jets have and for the Jets to go 10-6 and miss the playoff's shows me that Fitzpatricks stats are fooling people and signing him to anything more than 5-7 million would be a mistake. Kirk Cousins had a very similar schedule, but only easier. The Jets had the easiest schedule I ever seen them have, but they still had to play the Pats twice. The Redskins was in the weakest division in 2015 with the redskins having the only winning record and of the 9 wins that they accumulated, none of those teams had a winning record. Heck, none of those teams had an 8-8 season. They were all 7-9 or less. Add to the fact that this is a team that won just 9 games, 1 less than the NY Jets AND had to go on a 4 game winning streak at the end of the season to get that record...meaning that this Kirk Cousins-led team was 5-7 heading into the last month of games. I personally believe that that last four games along with his stats made people a believer in a paper champ. 

2016 roles around and again, Kirk puts up some lovely stats...im talking some beastly yardage stats for sure. Yet and still its more of the same thing. The Redskins go 8-7-1, but they do actually beat a couple teams with a winning record (Giants and Packers...though I'll get back to both those teams in a minute). Kirk starts the season off 0-2...that was the end of the season right there, but for entertainment purposes I'll continue. The Skins bounce back on on a 4 game winning streak beating the Giants during that stretch...the only team with a winning record. Jumping to the last 4 games the Skins are 6-5-1, currently on another 2 game losing streak and their last win was against the 4-6 Packers right before Aaron Rodgers put the entire Packers franchise on his back and singlehandedly won the last 6 games of the season to clinch his division. As a side note, Franchise QB's do things like that. They SHOW UP when sh*t hits the fan. Anyway, Kirk and the Redskins go 2-2 during their last 4 games including losing a week 17 MUST WIN game against the Giants, a team that was already in the playoffs and didnt need that game. 

THIS ^^^^^ is my problem with Kirk Cousins. You find fans all the time putting up stats talking about "look at this, look at that, look how awesome this guy is" but at the end of the day you have NEVER seen a fan say "look at this game". Kirk Cousins does not have a defining game moment. A game where the Redskins needed a win against a good team and Kirk literally will'd a win. 

sh*t, Mike Glennon even has a "memorable game" against Big Ben and the Steelers. Kirk Cousins has "stats" but nothing to show for it but how accumulating them against a bunch of below average teams and since 2015 has only beat two teams with winning records at the end of the season with the Packers having to win 6 games straight on the arm of a real Franchise QB to end their season to actually be the 2nd team with a winning record he's beaten. 

Kirk Cousins is a paper champion. Sure, he's better than what we've got and he's most likely better than a guy like Mike Glennon, but a Franchise QB Cousins is not...and thats the difference. People who like a guy like Glennon has never outright called him a "Franchise QB". He's always been looked at as the "solid QB" and better than what the heck we've fielded since Chad Pennington/Brett Favre. However, Cousins stats got people looking at this guy like a franchise QB yet he's not had any defining moments to where he's earned that title. A guy like Matt Ryan, MVP of the league this year has even had a hard time with this title given that he'd only won 1 playoff game in his career before making it to the SB this season, and Matt Ryan is in every way we can think of better than Kirk Cousins as a QB. 

Kirk Cousins is a stats padder, he's not a franchise QB. For every stat someone can show, I can show you a game that the Redskins needed and Kirk didnt have a "franchise QB" performance. Sure, its great to scream "YOU LIKE THAT" to the reporters after defeating the rookie QB-led Buccaneers team with a losing record, but I guarantee you the Redskins would have "LIKED IT MORE" if he showed up against the Giants with a "franchise QB" performance in week 17. 

Just like I said with Fitzpatrick, "Stats" dont always tell the story. Sure, Cousins didnt have a fall off Fitz-type year to where you can see clear as day that he's indeed a fraud, and I dont expect that given that he's a much better QB than Fitz, but in terms of the "Franchise QB" label or "elite" label, people need to pump their breaks with that when they only thing they have is a gaudy statlines minus the "defining QB moments". Let me know when Kirk Cousins wins an important game with a "franchise QB" performance, that'll be the day I'll say Macc needs not to ignore Kirk Cousins. Until then, he can get 25 million from another team. 

Archived