Jets just signed Josh McCown (MERGED)

JetFanatic

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Please apply. I'd love to see your decisions. Freakin hilarious. 

It would start without adding another QB to the garbage heap.  I don't get the thinking here.  Cut ties with all the old, dead weight on the roster but go out and add another old, dead weight QB. 

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Because of incompetent GMs like Macaagnan.

that is just an asinine post made out of spite with no logic or FACT to back it up.

If he is SUCH crap as a QB he WOULD NOT have an NFL job and be a 15 year veteran. AND if it WERE SO EASY to find a Quality Pro QB, McCown and other "bums" like Kellen Clemens, Kellen Moore, and Charlie Whitehorse would not keep drawing paychecks in the NFL if it were NOT SO DESPERATE for QBs capable of playing competently 

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

that is just an asinine post made out of spite with no logic or FACT to back it up.

If he is SUCH crap as a QB he WOULD NOT have an NFL job and be a 15 year veteran. AND if it WERE SO EASY to find a Quality Pro QB, McCown and other "bums" like Kellen Clemens, Kellen Moore, and Charlie Whitehurst keep drawing NFL paychecks id the NFL was NOT SO DESPERATE for QB

Clemens, Moore and Whitehurst have actually had far better careers then McCown.

9 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Can we stop the "mentor" rhetoric?  Why does everyone want Josh McCown to mentor our QBs?  Mentor them on what, how to keep the same number on 7 different teams?  We saw Petty last year - he stinks.  If Hack was ANY better, we would have saw him over fitz for at least a half in a meaningless week 17 game that was already well in hand.  I don't have an answer for who should have been the QB of this team - but if the objective is a youth movement and a rebuild then Petty and Hack should have been in a QB comp and you go through the season with one of those bums, instead of bringing in some fish that'll be given the starting job, only to get hurt a few weeks later.

You saw Petty last year with one week of starter reps after spending the first half of the season on IR.

There was never any plan to play Hack last year as he NEVER got any meaningful reps ALL SEASON...what good would it have done to throw his ass out there on week 17 of a lost season?

And, IMO they are going to go with Petty or Hack next season.  Nothing in the McCown contract dictates anything else.

1 minute ago, heymangold said:

It would start without adding another QB to the garbage heap.  I don't get the thinking here.  Cut ties with all the old, dead weight on the roster but go out and add another old, dead weight QB. 

It's a 1 yr deal. You don't think a guy who has been in NFL QB rooms, film study, practices for 10+ yrs can't add any value to 2 young QBs?

coaches are usually those that weren't great players. To use many here logic you'd assume Belichick was a 15 yr NFL player & 12 pro bowls. 

1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

You saw Petty last year with one week of starter reps after spending the first half of the season on IR.

There was never any plan to play Hack last year as he NEVER got any meaningful reps ALL SEASON...what good would it have done to throw his ass out there on week 17 of a lost season?

And, IMO they are going to go with Petty or Hack next season.  Nothing in the McCown contract dictates anything else.

How long do we have to see Petty to know he isn't the answer?  It was his 2nd season and the guy hasn't shown ANYTHING.

the good it does with Hack is to see if he has any glimmer of hope in an actual NFL game.  He stinks, you blame it on lack of reps and he has a whole offseason to adjust.  At least he would get an idea of how the NFL game works.

11 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Clemens, Moore and Whitehurst have actually had far better careers then McCown.

your LACK of a proper response only reaffirms your little competence and wherewithal to counter my point. In other words, the argument likening to that of an idiot

This is the best you can come up with? McCown is a #3QB veteran insurance. 15 pages of posts explaining WHY he was signed as PART of the rebuild, and If you're too dense to understand HOW he plays into THE BIGGER PICTURE for the BETTER of the team GOING into 2018 then you are hopeless. 

Just now, C Mart said:

It's a 1 yr deal. You don't think a guy who has been in NFL QB rooms, film study, practices for 10+ yrs can't add any value to 2 young QBs?

I know you're not asking me but if I could just chime in, no I absolutely do not think it makes a difference on Hackenberg's development.  

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

your LACK of a proper response only reaffirms your little competence and wherewithal to counter my point. 

This is the best you can come up with? McCown is a #3QB veteran insurance. 15 pages of posts explaining WHY he was signed as PART of the rebuild, and If you're too dense to understand HOW he plays into THE BIGGER PICTURE for the BETTER of the team GOING into 2018 then you are hopeless. 

If he's only here for his "mentoring" abilities, it's wasted money.  What's the point of having coaches then?!

1 hour ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

when and how should we find out what Petty or Hack can offer the team?

In truth I am in favor of starting Hack or Petty now and under no circumstances should McCown push either one of them out the door. 

I'm all in for the youth movement. 

IMO NO team can keep picking QBs in the second or fourth rounds and they are no good even as a backup.  

So we need to see what we have. 

2 minutes ago, heymangold said:

If he's only here for his "mentoring" abilities, it's wasted money.  What's the point of having coaches then?!

ONCE AGAIN FOR ALL THE MORONS, and the "MENTORING" is the LEAST material portion of his signing:

56 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

STOP WASTING your time with these DOLTS that are trolling you. They either don't WANT TO GET IT or are just too STUPID to process what has been said a hundred times over. 

ANSWER:

McCown for $6M is a CHEAP #3 QB 15 year VET INSURANCE POLICY IN CASE Petty and Hack either TOTALLY SUCK and can't be #1 OR Petty and Hack get DESTROYED behind the OLine and SOMEONE needs to know how to play Pro QB; for $6M NOT TOO SHABBY when going rate for a QB is $15M+.

If they all suck, which some fans want for THE DARNOLD TANK, then the Jets have a VERY GOOD SHOT at a Franchise QB in 2018.

WIN WIN SITUATION.

Jets are SPENDING ONLY $7.26M TOTAL for QB SALARY in 2017. DEAL WITH IT.

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Sam Darnold has started exactly 10 games.  Fans are drooling over the 19 year old.

Christian Hackenberg's first season compares favorably.  Check the stats.

Hack will be the starter.  Book it.

SAR I

Completion %:

Hack 58.9

Sam 67.2

YPA:

Hack 7.5

Sam 8.4

TD:

Hack 20

Sam 31

Rate:

Hack 134.0

Sam 161.1

Favorably?  This ignores the tape on which Darnold compares favorably.  Also, you should be mindful of the fact that college completion % is one of the most predictive stats for NFL success.  

Also, Allen Robinson in 2013 had more receiving yards than the next 7 guys combined for PSU, which should say something.  USCs top WR had only 220 yards more than #2 and 300 more than #3.

They're not even close based on this incomplete analysis and let's see if Darnold falls of a cliff in year 2.

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Completion %:

Hack 58.9

Sam 67.2

YPA:

Hack 7.5

Sam 8.4

TD:

Hack 20

Sam 31

Rate:

Hack 134.0

Sam 161.1

Favorably?  This ignores the tape on which Darnold compares favorably.  Also, you should also be mindful of the fact that college completion % is one of the most predictive stats for NFL success.  

Also, Allen Robinson in 2013 had more receiving yards than the next 7 guys combined for PSU, which should say something.  USCs top WR had only 220 yards more than #2 and 300 more than #3.

They're not even close based on this incomplete analysis and let's see if Darnold falls of a cliff in year 2.

Yeah? But can he ALREADY make PRE-SNAP Reads of the defense? :P

43 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

You have to learn to be more CREATIVE in demeaning and insulting annoying posters and trolls in a SUBTLE INDIRECT way which IMPLIES their wretched low rank in the JetsNation Forum caste system. If all posters were as direct, redundant, and whiny as some of your posts, without even the SLIGHTEST hint of subtlety such as @RutgersJetFan, then everyone would be banned. Get your $hit together, b/c you're not ALWAYS wrong, just with whom you choose to sincerely debate. 

vnEXbRk.gif

9 minutes ago, heymangold said:

How long do we have to see Petty to know he isn't the answer?  It was his 2nd season and the guy hasn't shown ANYTHING.

the good it does with Hack is to see if he has any glimmer of hope in an actual NFL game.  He stinks, you blame it on lack of reps and he has a whole offseason to adjust.  At least he would get an idea of how the NFL game works.

I don't know...seems we watched Geno for 29 starts and some here still touted him as a possibility.  And he just signed as a backup somewhere else.

Just not ready to dump Petty after 4 starts in poor circumstances.

And Hack would've sucked in that situation.  He's gonna get more meaningful experience this year...and no shortage of Jets fans would still be bashing him now if he had started game 17 and looked lost.

Just now, HessStation said:

You're just saying the same thing but like, louder.

Yeah :D

Because I don't see HOW people are getting worked up over a 15 year Vet QB brought in for PEANUTS on 1 year deal where we'll most likely see the Young gun QBs start or get killed. And if EVERYONE stinks it up, then we have a high draft pick for the 2018 QB lottery. 

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

Yeah :D

Because I don't see HOW people are getting worked up over a 15 year Vet QB brought in for PEANUTS on 1 year deal where we'll most likely see the Young gun QBs start or get killed. And if EVERYONE stinks it up, then we have a high draft pick for the 2018 QB lottery. 

Well, for me, it's because he could wins games. Not a lot. But just enough. 

1 minute ago, heymangold said:

Picking future coaches on all 32 NFL rosters

Quarterback Josh McCown

McCown could be a coach tomorrow. The Browns' quarterback is bright, understands the game and competition, is a good teammate and represents himself and his team well. Those are all traits for a winning coach. It does not take much to see McCown, if he wants, moving into an assistant's role soon after he retires and growing from there. -- Pat McManamon

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x160621/picking-future-coaches-all-32-nfl-rosters-cincinnati-bengals-vontaze-burfict-dallas-cowboys-jason-witten#AFC N

Harris was the pick for the Jets. 

6 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Completion %:

Hack 58.9

Sam 67.2

YPA:

Hack 7.5

Sam 8.4

TD:

Hack 20

Sam 31

Rate:

Hack 134.0

Sam 161.1

Favorably?  This ignores the tape on which Darnold compares favorably.  Also, you should be mindful of the fact that college completion % is one of the most predictive stats for NFL success.  

Remember, Hack was playing on a college team that was under a death sentence...Darnold?  Not so much...USC.

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

You do! He is actually the perfect veteran QB to bring aboard.  This signing tells me that Mac believes in Hackenberg.

Or, Macc and Bowles sat Woody down, watched every USC game this year and got permission to go 0-16.  Explained that one bad season would be completely forgotten the day Darnold declares.

Versus another six year run of 4-12, 6-10, 8-8, 4-12.

Just now, HessStation said:

Well, for me, it's because he could wins games. Not a lot. But just enough. 

He won't. He'll have no time in the pocket or run game to alleviate him. Defense will be to young to be a difference. He's the life jacket under your seat you hope you'll never have to use unless Petty and Hack go down w/injury or they are BOTH THAT bad.

Just now, greenwave81 said:

Remember, Hack was playing on a college team that was under a death sentence...Darnold?  Not so much...USC.

Remember how great Penn State was after Hack left.  It took a game for the ages from Sam Darnold to beat them.

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

He won't. He'll have no time in the pocket or run game to alleviate him. Defense will be to young to be a difference. He's the life jacket under your seat you hope you'll never have to use unless Petty and Hack go down w/injury or they are BOTH THAT bad.

I will remember this post. 

59 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I think this signing is a vote of confidence for Christian Hackenberg.

Why?  This signing doesn't say anything to me about the QBs besides that the team is not going to throw a bunch of money at a name who might take us from 2 wins to 4.

3 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

I mean, you can make all the excuses you want, but on the field, there's not much evidence that Christian Hackenberg can complete passes with any regularity.

Archived