Jets just signed Josh McCown (MERGED)

JetFanatic

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

I think when your QB roster consists of Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg and Josh McCown you are definitely hoping one of the kids can surprise. Training camp is going to be very interesting. We are going to make sure we are out there as much as possible, every day hopefully. We need real football minds reporting on how Petty and Hack look. And not just Manish telling us cupcake stories lol.

please do and lets not forget Cimini BS predictions

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

please do and lets not forget Cimini BS predictions

Cimini blocked @JetNation on Twitter, so luckily I don't see his predictions unless someone posts them here.

Just now, Maxman said:

Cimini blocked @JetNation on Twitter, so luckily I don't see his predictions unless someone posts them here.

well for one he was telling the world that Glennon was next Jet QB when clearly now the way it was revealed was not even close no matter how hard people tried to report "interest"

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I think when your QB roster consists of Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg and Josh McCown you are definitely hoping one of the kids can surprise. Training camp is going to be very interesting. We are going to make sure we are out there as much as possible, every day hopefully. We need real football minds reporting on how Petty and Hack look. And not just Manish telling us cupcake stories lol.

Just wait for when they add a QB at 6. Then it'll really get interesting. 

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

Just wait for when they add a QB at 6. Then it'll really get interesting. 

They will most likely have 4 QB in training camp and possibly carry 4 QB into season again - I dont think they will draft one until after the 4th round though.

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

Completion %:

Hack 58.9

Sam 67.2

YPA:

Hack 7.5

Sam 8.4

TD:

Hack 20

Sam 31

Rate:

Hack 134.0

Sam 161.1

Favorably?  This ignores the tape on which Darnold compares favorably.  Also, you should be mindful of the fact that college completion % is one of the most predictive stats for NFL success.  

Also, Allen Robinson in 2013 had more receiving yards than the next 7 guys combined for PSU, which should say something.  USCs top WR had only 220 yards more than #2 and 300 more than #3.

They're not even close based on this incomplete analysis and let's see if Darnold falls of a cliff in year 2.

So Hackenberg is pretty good then.

SAR I

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Picking future coaches on all 32 NFL rosters

Quarterback Josh McCown

McCown could be a coach tomorrow. The Browns' quarterback is bright, understands the game and competition, is a good teammate and represents himself and his team well. Those are all traits for a winning coach. It does not take much to see McCown, if he wants, moving into an assistant's role soon after he retires and growing from there. -- Pat McManamon

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x160621/picking-future-coaches-all-32-nfl-rosters-cincinnati-bengals-vontaze-burfict-dallas-cowboys-jason-witten#AFC N

Harris was the pick for the Jets. 

Now that I think about it, I'd prefer McCown over Bowles instead of Hackenberg over McCown.

Sammy Baugh was our first head coach and also our first quarterback.  It's been done before.

SAR I

2 hours ago, Pcola said:

Or, Macc and Bowles sat Woody down, watched every USC game this year and got permission to go 0-16.  Explained that one bad season would be completely forgotten the day Darnold declares.

Versus another six year run of 4-12, 6-10, 8-8, 4-12.

....yeah, and Darnold wants to come to the Jets off of an 0-16 season and a complete front office housecleaning giving us a worse GM and a worse HC than we have now.

Darnold has 2 years of eligibility left.  Remember Peyton Manning who decided to stay in school.  Remember Eli Manning who forced his way out of San Diego.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

....yeah, and Darnold wants to come to the Jets off of an 0-16 season and a complete front office housecleaning giving us a worse GM and a worse HC than we have now.

Darnold has 2 years of eligibility left.  Remember Peyton Manning who decided to stay in school.  Remember Eli Manning who forced his way out of San Diego.

SAR I

Darnold either stays his senior year or demands a trade if we go 0-16

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

If Bowles even considers starting McCown outside of injuries to both Hack and Petty he should be fired on the spot.

Do you really think Bowles would go along with McCown if this was his plan?  No he would have forced for the known QB in Fitz or someone with more potential than McCown if he wanted to do that

McCown will outplay both Petty and Hackenberg in TC and Preseason fairly easily.  He is the jets starting qb until he gets benched by week 7 or 8 (Bowles might not even be the coach by then)

And I think McCown stinks

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Petty is hurt. McCown has never played 16 games. So this is the kind of move that is going to have Hack on the field early in the season.

I have a really funny feeling about Hackenberg.  The Jet way is to have heard he was doing SO well in practice and that he was lighting the defense up only to have him come out and lay an absolute egg in actual games where it mattered.  Now all you hear of the kid is that he's the worst thing to ever grace a football field and that he can't throw a ball if his life depended on it.  

I, oddly enough, have the funniest of feelings that not only is he going to win the QB competition outright which isn't saying much, but he's going to actually be good.  Scary.  I know.  

Signing McCown is really Macc's original plan, except he had to switch from Fitz in year 2 and did not have to guarantee any money in year 3.

McCown was on the Brown's last year, he started a handful of games, and the Browns are picking first in a month.  He will not be the reason why the Jets cannot pick a future franchise QB next year if Hack or Petty need replacement.

I do support keeping 4 QBs if the Jets do draft one, but hopefully someone can be on IR.  It is dangerous out there.  

8 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

I have a really funny feeling about Hackenberg.  The Jet way is to have heard he was doing SO well in practice and that he was lighting the defense up only to have him come out and lay an absolute egg in actual games where it mattered.  Now all you hear of the kid is that he's the worst thing to ever grace a football field and that he can't throw a ball if his life depended on it.  

I, oddly enough, have the funniest of feelings that not only is he going to win the QB competition outright which isn't saying much, but he's going to actually be good.  Scary.  I know.  

It is scary and I am starting to believe that they might actually believe in him as well.

They are getting killed for not putting him on the field. Crazy thought, but what if they made the right decision? New QB coach. New O\C. Playing him in week 17 really meant nothing. I called for it at the time, wanted to see him. But maybe, just maybe, they have a plan.

Scary thought.

12 minutes ago, thadude said:

McCown will outplay both Petty and Hackenberg in TC and Preseason fairly easily.  He is the jets starting qb until he gets benched by week 7 or 8 (Bowles might not even be the coach by then)

And I think McCown stinks

LOL. You don't have the kind of off-season that the Jets are having and make a coaching change midseason. Good one though.

12 minutes ago, varjet said:

Signing McCown is really Macc's original plan, except he had to switch from Fitz in year 2 and did not have to guarantee any money in year 3.

McCown was on the Brown's last year, he started a handful of games, and the Browns are picking first in a month.  He will not be the reason why the Jets cannot pick a future franchise QB next year if Hack or Petty need replacement.

I do support keeping 4 QBs if the Jets do draft one, but hopefully someone can be on IR.  It is dangerous out there.  

Why just 4 Qb's?  

Mac loves terrible quarterbacks we should also sign Tebow, Geno and Chad Pennington

Magnificent 7

Just now, Maxman said:

It is scary and I am starting to believe that they might actually believe in him as well.

They are getting killed for not putting him on the field. Crazy thought, but what if they made the right decision? New QB coach. New O\C. Playing him in week 17 really meant nothing. I called for it at the time, wanted to see him. But maybe, just maybe, they have a plan.

Scary thought.

And to add to that, their whole plan the whole time was to sit him year one.  People need to look at 2015 Hackenberg highlights not 2016.  Poor kid lost his offensive coordinator, had to learn a whole new offense AND they changed his footing mechanics for some odd reason along with his offensive line being awful in 2016.  What if the kid actually got better behind the scenes?  What if Woody signed off on this obvious rebuild knowing that there's a decent chance that he has his quarterback in Hackenberg and now they're just filling in pieces around him??

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

LOL. You don't have the kind of off-season that the Jets are having and make a coaching change midseason. Good one though.

Don't be shocked if Bowles doesn't even survive the season

Mac will get the pink slip on Black Monday but I can see Bowles getting fired by week 10

7 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

And to add to that, their whole plan the whole time was to sit him year one.  People need to look at 2015 Hackenberg highlights not 2016.  Poor kid lost his offensive coordinator, had to learn a whole new offense AND they changed his footing mechanics for some odd reason along with his offensive line being awful in 2016.  What if the kid actually got better behind the scenes?  What if Woody signed off on this obvious rebuild knowing that there's a decent chance that he has his quarterback in Hackenberg and now they're just filling in pieces around him??

THIS MAN HAS THE ANSWERS YOU SEEK:

palmer_jordan.jpg

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

*lights up @Sperm Edwards signal*

Hey I just heard the Jets signed a QB. Don't know who it was, but if it's nobody good I'm sure they didn't guarantee anything so they could at least dump him before final cut downs. I mean, no way they'd pay top dollar for a backup QB when we don't have a starting QB nor half a decent starting roster, right? Right?

47 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Peyton wanted no part of NY. Darnold hasn't whispered such rebellions. Coming into an 0-16 team makes no difference. Plain to see the Jets are going all out to tank this coming season. If anything, Darnold should be flattered we're willing to fall flat on our mugs for the chance to draft him and make him the 2nd coming of Joe Willie. How could he resist that. 

3 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Training camp competitions should only go so far in determining the starter.

If McCown is only marginally better than Petty and Hack, they young guys should be given the benefit of the doubt as potential long-range solutions.

McCown has a one year deal, is 37 y.o....if he ain't 'lighting it up' in PS and head and shoulders better than the young guys his ass should be on the bench.  If you never give a young guy experience on game day, they will never 'have any experience'...kind of the only reason people here were touting Geno as a better option than Petty.

No, they need to clearly beat him out. Under your scenario they're not really earning the job. 

1 hour ago, thadude said:

Why just 4 Qb's?  

Mac loves terrible quarterbacks we should also sign Tebow, Geno and Chad Pennington

Magnificent 7

Gotta go Hateful Eight and add Manziel. That would be a blockbuster.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

And to this day, I'll believe is Parvcells tells Archie his kid's going number one, Peyton's a Jet.  

A QB can turn a franchise around immediately in today's NFL.  The marketing income alone makes up for the increased taxes.  

Plus with Eli and Brady in the twilight of their careers, why wouldn't he want to come here?

11 hours ago, Tinstar said:

It shouldn't, because we should still draft a QB at 6 if Watson or Trubisky is there .

imo they will take a qb but probably not with the 6 pick.  maybe use a 4th or lower. teams just about have to start planning now for 3 or 4 seasons in the future.

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

darnold may be the guy but they said the same thing about leinart and tons of the glamour boy qbs that come out of usc. i'd just be cautious here.

Archived