Jets just signed Josh McCown (MERGED)

JetFanatic

Also, I love this signing.  Added a QB who won't stand in the way of Petty or Hack if one of them can demonstrate in camp that they aren't horrible, and doesn't actually take us from 2 wins to 4.  Now if we can just pass on Watson at 6, we can all pretend the great cupcake incident of 2017 didn't happen and call it a good offseason.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

To a 1 year deal according to his agent Mike McCartney.  Um thoughts???

Trying not to have any thoughts, because if I did, I'd be deeply and thoroughly disappointed in my favorite team.

McCown starting by opening day, mark it.

38 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Or, Macc and Bowles sat Woody down, watched every USC game this year and got permission to go 0-16.  Explained that one bad season would be completely forgotten the day Darnold declares.

Versus another six year run of 4-12, 6-10, 8-8, 4-12.

And if Darnold decides to stay another year? Doesn't play well or some other unfortunate situation? 

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Also, I love this signing.  Added a QB who won't stand in the way of Petty or Hack if one of them can demonstrate in camp that they aren't horrible, and doesn't actually take us from 2 wins to 4.  Now if we can just pass on Watson at 6, we can all pretend the great cupcake incident of 2017 didn't happen and call it a good offseason.

THANK YOU. You get it. 

I believe Mac would pass on Watson. Woody I'm not so sure about. . . . . 

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Trying not to have any thoughts, because if I did, I'd be deeply and thoroughly disappointed in my favorite team.

Really? I thought you had more mettle than that. It's a 1 yr deal for an insurance policy veteran on the Young QBs possibly dying or bombing out on the field, and someone to finish the season if NEED be. For cents on the dollar.

I was WAY MORE DISAPPOINTED when the Jets gave FRIGGIN' Neil "I just CHOKED the SuperBowl away" O'Donnell a RIDICULOUS back-then 5 year $25M contract to  be the Jets' QB.:blink:

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

My evidence is your posting style. At a crap time, perhaps the worst, you defend every single move made and never get upset or disagree with what the Jets do.

Its like were all on a burning 747 ....pointing straight down towards the pacific ocean and you are this one creepy weirdo thats trying to calm everyone by saying"it ok, air travel is the safest form"

I know this is rayray19

That would be the Atlantic Ocean.

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

COMPLETELY DISAGREE.

This moves says he wants the kids to battle it out for #1 and McCown is emergency #3. They all crap the bed, Jets get a Top pick in a QB rich draft in 2018. Jets take BPA NON-QB in 2017.

Playtime Bonus tells you he's NOT the starter. QB Pups will fight it out. 

It's a solid HEDGE. 

exactly...this is perfect and what I wanted to happen...Petty will start but i think it will be tight competition with Hack

The media and what not are trying to wip up fan angst saying there is no starter and it is working but Bowles and Macc success depends on Petty\Hack and they are going to do everything possible to help them have success.

4 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Really? I thought you had more mettle than that. It's a 1 yr deal for an insurance policy veteran on the Young QBs possibly dying or bombing out on the field, and someone to finish the season if NEED be. For cents on the dollar.

I was WAY MORE DISAPPOINTED when the Jets gave FRIGGIN' Neil "I just CHOKED the SuperBowl away" O'Donnell a RIDICULOUS back-then 5 year $25M contract to  be the Jets' QB.:blink:

Has nothing to do with mettle, it's just the real world here.

We have a very bad Head Coach working to save his job.  The fantasy-land idea that McCown will just be there for lols is just that, fantasy.  He's no mentor, the guy is the definition of the journeyman JAG QB, and he offers nothing to the young guy Hack.  But Bowles WILL start him, because Bowles knows his ass is on the line, and on-line-asses don't play guys like Hack.

And keep dreaming 0-16 guys, McCown will thoroughly ensure we're not even in the discussion for #1 pick next year, whilst also giving Hack no playing time, and getting us nowhere near legit competitiveness.  We will be a thoroughly boring 4-6 win team.

Also, hope you're all looking forward to burning the #6 pick on another defensive player.  At least the odds say this one won't be a DT....although I wouldn't hold my breath tbqh.

2 hours ago, section314 said:

This ring a bell for anybody? Change the names to McCown and Hackenberg, and it seems pretty much the same deal. 

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New York Giants are taking some
of the pressure off Eli Manning, signing Kurt Warner to be their caretaker quarterback until the top pick in the draft is ready to take over.

While the two-time MVP got a two-year contract worth $9.5 million late Wednesday
that will pay him a minimum of $3.5 million ($2 million in base salary) this year, there is no
guarantee he will play for the Giants for more than a year.

Warner's tenure will be determined by Manning's progress in his rookie season. When Manning is ready to go, he will be the Giants' quarterback.

Warner might have another Super Bowl if he wasnt benched for Eli. They actually benched Kurt because he was playing too welll and they feared the controversy.

On MicCown

If he is 100% backup and Hack and Petty get 90-100% of first team reps and 70% of second team, I think it is a good signing

If Bowles even considers starting McCown outside of injuries to both Hack and Petty he should be fired on the spot.

21 minutes ago, ECURB said:

Stupid question.... What is his hit against the cap? If it is only 6 mil do they still need to leave room in case he hits the other 7?

I think $6 this seaon. Any incentives might hit next yr. might. Not sure. Give overthecap.com a look. I'm sure Jason would know. 

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Has nothing to do with mettle, it's just the real world here.

We have a very bad Head Coach working to save his job.  The fantasy-land idea that McCown will just be there for lols is just that, fantasy.  He's no mentor, the guy is the definition of the journeyman JAG QB, and he offers nothing to the young guy Hack.  But Bowles WILL start him, because Bowles knows his ass is on the line, and on-line-asses don't play guys like Hack.

And keep dreaming 0-16 guys, McCown will thoroughly ensure we're not even in the discussion for #1 pick next year, whilst also giving Hack no playing time, and getting us nowhere near legit competitiveness.  We will be a thoroughly boring 4-6 win team.

Also, hope you're all looking forward to burning the #6 pick on another defensive player.  At least the odds say this one won't be a DT....although I wouldn't hold my breath tbqh.

Everything you have said in the first paragraph is valid. McCown is not primarily being counted on as a mentor, he's #3 insurance. Bowles has stated to be a Parcellian monk in prioritizing veterans, that may be an issue. Yet, if history has taught us anything, is that McCown is more fragile than Sar's boisterous ego. He WILL NOT last very long, especially with Beachum @ LT, and Petty or Hack will get the majority of the reps. 

The rest of your post I disagree with and regard as the rambling gibberish of a tortured soul no longer fit for this earth, lest a response. jk.

29 minutes ago, C Mart said:

And if Darnold decides to stay another year? Doesn't play well or some other unfortunate situation? 

You still have the first pick in the draft and a chance at a different franchise QB or franchise Left tackle with next year's draft will have.

It's a calculated risk at the right time. We couldn't pull this off if we had a really good team.. But we all know this team sucks so why only half suck?

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You still have the first pick in the draft and a chance at a different franchise QB or franchise Left tackle with next year's draft will have.

It's a calculated risk at the right time. We couldn't pull this off if we had a really good team.. But we all know this team sucks so why only half suck?

I don't condone tanking. But i agree it's a calculated risk at the right time. This Jets roster is absolutely one of the worst in the NFL. 

We made our bed (drafting Petty and Hack), now sleep in it.

14 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Warner might have another Super Bowl if he wasnt benched for Eli. They actually benched Kurt because he was playing too welll and they feared the controversy.

On MicCown

If he is 100% backup and Hack and Petty get 90-100% of first team reps and 70% of second team, I think it is a good signing

If Bowles even considers starting McCown outside of injuries to both Hack and Petty he should be fired on the spot.

Do you really think Bowles would go along with McCown if this was his plan?  No he would have forced for the known QB in Fitz or someone with more potential than McCown if he wanted to do that

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

Do you really think Bowles would go along with McCown if this was his plan?  No he would have forced for the known QB in Fitz or someone with more potential than McCown if he wanted to do that

One can hope but Bowles loves veterans.

47 minutes ago, gEYno said:

This is all going to end badly. You know it. I know it. And Vegetable Lasagna here knows it.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

And what a fabulous "mentor" he must be?!?!  Bouncing to a different team every friggin' year.

A "mentor" relationship takes years to develop.  Not 4 lousy months.  It is just a word analysts use to offer their "expertise" on television.

Like "rehabilitated" from The Shawshank Redemption.

"So you go on and stamp your form, sonny, and stop wasting my time."

I disagree. Let's walk through a scenario that could happen this year.

Christian Hackenberg is warming up before his first NFL start.

Josh McCown talks to him about butterflies and working through the rush of emotion.

Then Josh McCown shows his strong mentoring ability when he says, "Remember Christian, everything you ever saw Ryan Fitzpatrick do is bad".

Hack goes out and has a 22 \ 27 day with 2 TDs and 312 yards. All because his mentor reminded him, do what Fitz wouldn't do. :)

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Why?  This signing doesn't say anything to me about the QBs besides that the team is not going to throw a bunch of money at a name who might take us from 2 wins to 4.

Petty is hurt. McCown has never played 16 games. So this is the kind of move that is going to have Hack on the field early in the season.

8 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

i think Bowels considers starting QB to be Petty right now and it is his job to lose

That SHOULD be the approach. McCown really should get NO reps unless Petty and Hack both CRAP the bed and can't even take #1 in TC. That would be a simple Tank the Season from the get go, Day 1.

Bowles' stubbornness for preferring vets may be a hindrance, but I think the possibility of a FO mandate for the YoungGunz and the fact we signed Punch Out's Glass Joe as the "vet" minimizes the chance Bowles won't play the young guys. 

10 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

i think Bowels considers starting QB to be Petty right now and it is his job to lose

I disagree primarily because of his injury. When will Petty be ready? A torn labrum has a 6 month recovery time. Yes it is his non-throwing shoulder. But I am pretty sure he isn't doing much upper body stuff. So he is going to be pretty weak and limited heading into camp. Certainly doesn't seem like he is going to be throwing a football at minicamp.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

I disagree primarily because of his injury. When will Petty be ready? A torn labrum has a 6 month recovery time. Yes it is his non-throwing shoulder. But I am pretty sure he isn't doing much upper body stuff. So he is going to be pretty weak and limited heading into camp. Certainly doesn't seem like he is going to be throwing a football at minicamp.

he should be ready for training camp and that is all that matters

2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

he should be ready for training camp and that is all that matters

Well if Bowles is going to spend another off-season giving the job to a guy that can't practice, that concerns me. We did that last year and the offense was out of sync all season.

I would be fine with Petty winning the job. I just don't agree that Bowles considers it Petty's job to lose.

I am really curious when he is going to be able to throw a football again. I fear this injury is going to set him back which sucks.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

"We're excited about both of them, to see how they perform this offseason," Maccagnan said of Petty and Hackenberg. "Bryce will be back, and I can't think of the exact date, but it's sometime, I think, in April. And he'll be able to start throwing again."

5 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

That SHOULD be the approach. McCown really should get NO reps unless Petty and Hack both CRAP the bed and can't even take #1 in TC. That would be a simple Tank the Season from the get go, Day 1.

Bowles' stubbornness for preferring vets may be a hindrance, but I think the possibility of a FO mandate for the YoungGunz and the fact we signed Punch Out's Glass Joe as the "vet" minimizes the chance Bowles won't play the young guys. 

I will give you 4 reason why that IS the approach

New Offensive Coordinator:  John Morton, former WR Coach of the New Orleans Saints, reportedly hired (1/29)
New QBs Coach:  Jeremy Bates. who last coached in 2012 for the
Chicago Bears, hired (2/8)
New Offensive Asst/Asst. QB Coach: Mick Lombardi, former Offensive Quality Control Coach of the San Francisco 49ers, hired (2/8)
New Offensive Asst. Coach: Jason Vrable. former Offensive Quality Control Coach of the
Buffalo Bills, hired (2/8)

and I dont think they will tank - they could easily go .500 which is fine by me

1 hour ago, ECURB said:

Stupid question.... What is his hit against the cap? If it is only 6 mil do they still need to leave room in case he hits the other 7?

Um, considering $5 million of it is if he plays and the Jets make the Playoffs/Super Bowl.....

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Well if Bowles is going to spend another off-season giving the job to a guy that can't practice, that concerns me. We did that last year and the offense was out of sync all season.

I would be fine with Petty winning the job. I just don't agree that Bowles considers it Petty's job to lose.

I am really curious when he is going to be able to throw a football again. I fear this injury is going to set him back which sucks.

I dont think he is giving it to him - he earned it - he was the best QB in Preseason until he got hurt and he was the starter until he got hurt and starts dont lose their job to injury in old school guys like Bowles.  He was getting hurt all season because he was behind 2nd \3rd stringer line that didnt even know snap counts or blocking schemes.

but hey if it is not Petty and he cannot pull it out I wont lose any sleep as it will be Hack and if Hack sucks the jets are in position to trade up 2018 now (hoping Macc has good draft and UDFA that there is good base of young players.

Here is why I do not have a problem with this:

1) He comes as a cheap insurance policy in today's NFL ($6 million is cheap)

2) This is based on an assumption, but until proven otherwise.....He can come in and play if the young guys are hurt or suck

3) It tells me the Jets have NO interest in drafting a QB this year, but want to see what they have.  IF they do not like what they see this year, they draft a QB with their first pick in 2018.

2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I dont think he is giving it to him - he earned it - he was the best QB in Preseason until he got hurt and he was the starter until he got hurt and starts dont lose their job to injury in old school guys like Bowles.  He was getting hurt all season because he was behind 2nd \3rd stringer line that didnt even know snap counts or blocking schemes.

but hey if it is not Petty and he cannot pull it out I wont lose any sleep as it will be Hack and if Hack sucks the jets are in position to trade up 2018 now (hoping Macc has good draft and UDFA that there is good base of young players.

I think when your QB roster consists of Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg and Josh McCown you are definitely hoping one of the kids can surprise. Training camp is going to be very interesting. We are going to make sure we are out there as much as possible, every day hopefully. We need real football minds reporting on how Petty and Hack look. And not just Manish telling us cupcake stories lol.

10 minutes ago, C Mart said:

"We're excited about both of them, to see how they perform this offseason," Maccagnan said of Petty and Hackenberg. "Bryce will be back, and I can't think of the exact date, but it's sometime, I think, in April. And he'll be able to start throwing again."

Oh that is good. If he can start throwing in April that is really good. It makes a huge difference that this was his other shoulder.

April would put him in line to get some work in the off-season and be 100% for camp. That is great news.

Archived