Jets just signed Josh McCown (MERGED)

JetFanatic

Just now, dbatesman said:

There's no other reasonable conclusion to draw.

Here it is. They were looking for a veteran QB to be a mentor but not impede the progress of the young QBs. They bring in McCown. McCown says "Why should I come here just to sit when I can go to the Cowboys and be closer to action, especially since Dak is mobile and susceptible to injury? The Jets say we will guarantee your contract fully in order to overcome that. And 6m is about what good backup QBs go for.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Here it is. They were looking for a veteran QB to be a mentor but not impede the progress of the young QBs. They bring in McCown. McCown says "Why should I come here just to sit when I can go to the Cowboys and be closer to action, especially since Dak is mobile and susceptible to injury? The Jets say we will guarantee your contract fully in order to overcome that. And 6m is about what good backup QBs go for.

Not buying that in Dallas he has a chance at a Super Bowl ring here he might get to rub the Snoopy Bowl trophy, no wait thats not even happening anymore. 

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Im starting to think Mac/Bowles are the all time worst tandem this team ever had.

It was NEVER this bad even during Kotites time.

I'm starting to think you are the most mellow dramatic cry baby poster this team has ever had.

it was NEVER this bad even during Joewilly12's time.

1 minute ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Teams reach for QBs every season...I do feel that the top 2 QBs will fall....but they wont get passed NO and ARI....at that moment, GMs will panic, like they always do, and there will be a trade to select a 3rd QB. 

No way NOLA and ARZ who have SHRINKING windows with their current Franchise QBs (Brees & Palmer) and NEED to inject DEFENSIVE help to WIN NOW while they can will select a QB prospect in the top 15 who is still 2 years from Starting in the NFL. The lesson of the 2011 Draft won't have teams reaching for unprepared QBs in the 1st. 

Disagree COMPLETELY.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

I'm starting to think you are the most mellow dramatic cry baby poster this team has ever had.

it was NEVER this bad even during Joewilly12's time.

Hey STFU and leave me outta this!!!!!!!! Im happy tonight we just signed Josh freeeekin McCown. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

A total of 11 million in guaranteed money this off-season has gone to Ryan Fitzpatrick, who's not even on the roster and Josh McCown, a guy arguably worse than Fitzpatrick. 

I expect to have a new GM next season.

I don't think so Villain.  The way Macc has been acting this off season I think the last thing Woody said to him before jetting off to London was. "Your jobs good thru 18, but in 18 you better have a promising QB on the field, or there won't be a 19"

Think we're going to see a lot of Petty and Hack this year.  If they both suck, the Jets will have options in the 18 draft.  If one of the kids shines, the world is good even if they have a losing season

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Here's another one: Petty is wet dogsh*t and Hackenberg is even worse, so they need a fallback option in case whoever they draft this year isn't ready to start. Bowles fetishizes veterans. And here we are.

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

No way NOLA and ARZ who have SHRINKING windows with their current Franchise QBs (Brees & Palmer) and NEED to inject DEFENSIVE help to WIN NOW while they can will select a QB prospect in the top 15 who is still 2 years from Starting in the NFL. The lesson of the 2011 Draft won't have teams reaching for unprepared QBs in the 1st. 

Disagree COMPLETELY.

Cool...I do love the draft, so either you are right or I am, it will be interesting to see. 

Just now, dbatesman said:

Here's another one: Petty is wet dogsh*t and Hackenberg is even worse, so they need a fallback option in case whoever they draft this year isn't ready to start. Bowles fetishizes veterans. And here we are.

YOur theory is based on hatred and bias. My theory is based on logic.

20 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Why did we need to overpay at all? What does McCown do that Petty can't do at 10% of the cost?

This isn't an overpayment in today's NFL.  This is high-end backup/spot starter money (of the 32 starting QBs in the NFL, the only ones making less are on their rookie deals). Do we need a "high end backup type" this year?  I'd generally say no - except that we have a bunch of young WRs who need to continue their development (Anderson, Peake, Marshall, even Smith & Enunwa), and if Petty & Hack haven't progressed enough to help with that, then I'd probably rather have spent 6M in cap space on a minimally competent QB like McCown than have saved it at the possible cost of WR regressions.  And at worst, he's a good soldier type mentor for the young guys if they've progressed enough to start

12 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

STOP WASTING your time with these DOLTS that are trolling you. They either don't WANT TO GET IT or are just too STUPID to process what has been said a hundred times over. 

ANSWER:

McCown for $6M is a CHEAP #3 QB 15 year VET INSURANCE POLICY IN CASE Petty and Hack either TOTALLY SUCK and can't be #1 OR Petty and Hack get DESTROYED behind the OLine and SOMEONE needs to know how to play Pro QB; for $6M NOT TOO SHABBY when going rate for a QB is $15M+.

If they all suck, which some fans want for THE DARNOLD TANK, then the Jets have a VERY GOOD SHOT at a Franchise QB in 2018.

WIN WIN SITUATION.

Jets are SPENDING ONLY $7.26M TOTAL for QB SALARY in 2017. DEAL WITH IT.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Wow. I'll just leave it at that. 

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Dennis Waszak Jr. (@DWAZ73)

3/20/17, 8:42 PM

McCown incentives: 
-$125K per game w/50%+ snaps
-$2M if #Jets make playoffs (w/ 65% play)
-$1.5M if make SB (65%)
-$1.5M if win SB (65%)

IMO, I think the Jets are planning/hoping it will be a one year $6 M contract.  We'll see if either of the kids can make that happen

1 hour ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Breer:

Josh McCown's 1-year deal with Jets is worth $6 million fully guaranteed. Also has $2M in playtime incentives, $5M in team-based incentives.

$2M in playtime incentives – McCown gets $125K for each game he plays 50% of the snaps in. $5M in team incentives: playoffs, SB, SB win.

Jets up by 14 with 4 minutes left in the first half.

Phone rings. Woody Johnson is calling from the UK.

Get Josh out of this game. What do you think I am, made of money?

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And he calls that logic. The dude's an idiot or he's being obtuse for sparring purposes.

Knock it off. And spare me any explanation or back story. Just don't attack people personally.

Archived