Jets just signed Josh McCown (MERGED)

JetFanatic

11 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Here is why I do not have a problem with this:

1) He comes as a cheap insurance policy in today's NFL ($6 million is cheap)

2) This is based on an assumption, but until proven otherwise.....He can come in and play if the young guys are hurt or suck

3) It tells me the Jets have NO interest in drafting a QB this year, but want to see what they have.  IF they do not like what they see this year, they draft a QB with their first pick in 2018.

I cant believe how many of you 13 monthz in advance are absolutely sure that you already own next years #1 pick and sam is already a jet. If it  was guaranteed then id go along but it isnt. In fact its very unlikely. There will be 1 or 2 or 3 worse teams. 

But it still amazes me that half this board is already of the mind that sam will be a jet and are planning this entire draft strategy accordingly. 

Priceless

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

If I'm woody Johnson I'm seriously having a closed door confendential meeting with Maccagnan and Bowles. 3 people in the room...NOBODY else. We make a deal they are safe with guarantees until the end of the 2018 season. Under the circumstance that only 1 win is allowed in 2017. I would honestly really do this. And I don't care what you think about it. 

Why start McCown/Pety/Hack?  Just start 3 girl scouts

30 minutes ago, HessStation said:

If I'm woody Johnson I'm seriously having a closed door confendential meeting with Maccagnan and Bowles. 3 people in the room...NOBODY else. We make a deal they are safe with guarantees until the end of the 2018 season. Under the circumstance that only 1 win is allowed in 2017. I would honestly really do this. And I don't care what you think about it. 

IMO this meeting has already taken place.  If Macc was GM'ing for his job his season, Glennon would have been signed for $18 M, or the Jets would have panicked at some point this week and over paid Cutler.

IMO Woody has given Macc and Bowles a Mulligan for 2017 as long as they have a very promising QB on the field in 2018.

Doesn't matter if it is Petty, Hack, Darnoll, Rosen or Allen.  You don't sign McCown if your job depends on his getting you to the playoffs 

Just now, ASH1962 said:

LOL Josh McCown....

So this is what it has come down to....

Yesireee and its all good ANYONE BUT RYAN FITZPATRICK is my thinking. 

Let it play out if it fails Macc and Bowles are gone :D

If we win some games we enjoy it we are years away from a Super Bowl run with the current roster 

3 hours ago, sourceworx said:

I honestly don't think he's going to start. I think we're either drafting a QB with #6 and starting that kid, or they like Hackenberg more than they've let on.

That's a great theory in March, and one I can subscribe to.

But then September rolls around and the head coach decides to go with the QB who gives us the best chance to win and it turns out it's not one of the youngsters.  And that's where going with a Fitzpatrick or a Sanchez would have been better than going with this guy who has lost 22 of his last 24 starts and shouldn't even be in the league.

SAR I

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

But then September rolls around and the head coach decides to go with the QB who gives us the best chance to win and it turns out it's not one of the youngsters.  And that's where going with a Fitzpatrick or a Sanchez would have been better than going with this guy who has lost 22 of his last 24 starts and shouldn't even be in the league.

SAR I

And that's when the owner needs to step in and do what's best for the team, and give the coach an ultimatum. Let the kids play, or park your ass on your couch and watch the games on TV. If the old guy sees the field, then start updating your LinkedIn profile.

That would be the one scenario where I'd have no problem with Woody meddling. Keeping the coach until January becomes counterproductive at that point.

15 hours ago, C Mart said:

And if Darnold decides to stay another year? Doesn't play well or some other unfortunate situation? 

This could possibly happen.  There will be other QBs like Rosen and possibly Allen to go along with an annual dark horse (Trubisky, Wentz, etc.).

I mean at what point do the fans realize, that's our only option.  This franchise cannot develop QBs.  We need a no-brainer. We need a Cam Newton, a Stafford,etc.  what works for other organizations doesn't work here.  I don't know the reasons for this, but history is proof.  Andy Dalton would have been tarred and feathered if the Jets drafted him all those years ago.  Tannehill, same thing.  

I wish it wasn't the case.  But if Macc feels that either Trubisky or Watson is a top of the draft QB, where he is willing to put his stamp on the team, as well as risk his job, then I am all for it.  

Just reading the three teams drafting in front of us that had zero QBs when the offseason started, are shying away from these guys.  Based on Macc's process he went through this offseason in finding a QB, my guess is he is waiting until 2018.

And most importantly, when this team is bad, and this year will undoubtedly be bad, it helps when there is a potential solution to all of your problems come next April.  It's the only hope we have for the foreseeable future.

4 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Will be so glad we McCagnan and Bowles are gone.  Woody please stay in GB.

Will be a glorious day next January when both these idiots are fired

I wish the president could order Woody to sell the jets

You joke, but if the success of an NFL franchise revolves around a quarterback and the only great ones are found through the draft, well, you draft as many quarterbacks as you can until you find one that's good.  Russell Wilson was not drafted out of necessity.  Neither was Tom Brady.  Neither was Joe Montana.  Dan Marino was drafted by a Super Bowl team who already had a quarterback. 
I fully expect Maccagnan to go after Mitch Trubisky in the first round.  Keep drafting quarterbacks.  Bring 'em in for a year, see what you've got.  Don't stop until you find a great one.
SAR I

But don't let the kid Qbs take practice reps. Jets have no idea what to do with a young QB, so go ahead and ruin someone else's potential career. Overpaying for someone to inhibit Petty/Hack/? growth shows Mac can't even rebuild during a rebuilding year.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

The truth is, objectively speaking, Sanchez is Waaaaaaaaaaaay better than McCown based upon his past best performances, but there was no way the FO brings him back and they survive till next year...

And boy would that have been fun out here!!! :) 

I love the Jets, but it's gonna be hard watching this garbage next season.

If it leads us to a future franchise QB I'm all for it.....just need to hope there is an end game, Woody allows Mac the time needed to get to it and Mac comes through.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

On 3/21/2017 at 9:04 AM, SAR I said:

You joke, but if the success of an NFL franchise revolves around a quarterback and the only great ones are found through the draft, well, you draft as many quarterbacks as you can until you find one that's good.  Russell Wilson was not drafted out of necessity.  Neither was Tom Brady.  Neither was Joe Montana.  Dan Marino was drafted by a Super Bowl team who already had a quarterback. 

I fully expect Maccagnan to go after Mitch Trubisky in the first round.  Keep drafting quarterbacks.  Bring 'em in for a year, see what you've got.  Don't stop until you find a great one.

SAR I

David Woodley was not a good QB.  Nobody thinks that now and nobody thought that then.  DeBerg was a stiff until he was around 35.  Young is the one they got when they didn't need a QB, but that was a trade so it doesn't suit the agenda. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

The truth is, objectively speaking, Sanchez is Waaaaaaaaaaaay better than McCown based upon his past best performances, but there was no way the FO brings him back and they survive till next year...

And boy would that have been fun out here!!!

I'm concerned that Mark Sanchez' induction into the Jets Ring Of Honor may be uncomfortable, if he comes back to play for the team it eases him in somewhat.

SAR I

28 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I'm concerned that Mark Sanchez' induction into the Jets Ring Of Honor may be uncomfortable, if he comes back to play for the team it eases him in somewhat.

SAR I

Hahahahahahaha :)

I still believe that if Sanchez didn't start right away and get the horrific coaching he received we would have had at least a top 15 level QB......

But let me stop here and ponder if I should go any further with this........

Little Rascals Animated GIF

Then again he might not be. the relationship with geno was beyond repair with teh team and the fans. If geno was smart he would went far away from the NY media but instead he stays in the area. The biggest problem with geno is in between his shoulders. he constantly makes poor choices on and off the field.

I like this because he is an older qb that can mentor the younger qbs something Geno would not and could not do. If neither qb on the roster can not develop we move on just like we did from Geno 4 yrs of him and 12 wins versus 50 turn overs. Yeah lets give him another chance. Sorry but most fans have seen that show and are happy to be moving on. He is not here and should not even be in this conversation

10 hours ago, rammagen said:

this is the right move. Geno is toxic and they needed to move on

10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

So is Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

28 minutes ago, rammagen said:

can you tell me how ryan gets into this conversation? unless you actively trolling for a response

You said what you said and I said what I said and then you asked a question and here we are. 

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick 79.7 

This means nothing. 

Fitzpatrick was always better than McCown, and they both, throughout their careers, proved they were better than Geno.  Don't know what is too hard to figure out here. 

They all collectively suck, but McCown is cheap, offers veteran insight, and doesn't have the fanbase wanting to kill him (yet.)

13 hours ago, HighPitch said:

I cant believe how many of you 13 monthz in advance are absolutely sure that you already own next years #1 pick and sam is already a jet. If it  was guaranteed then id go along but it isnt. In fact its very unlikely. There will be 1 or 2 or 3 worse teams. 

But it still amazes me that half this board is already of the mind that sam will be a jet and are planning this entire draft strategy accordingly. 

Priceless

Where did I say that "Sam was going to be a Jet, or that the Jets would have the first pick in the draft next year?"  Never said any such thing.  What I said was I liked the signing, because it shows to me that they are going to have an insurance policy in case the two youngsters suck.....This, by very definition, says they will be playing said youngsters to see if they are any good.  If they DON'T like what they see, the Jets will use a first round pick next year.  There is nobody in this draft worth drafting with the #6 pick when you have 2 QB's you've already drafted and developed, but have no idea if they can play (well, one anyway).

We don't know for sure, but there is already looking like three potential top ten-pick QB's next year.  The Jets would have a shot at one of them if this season goes completely south. 

What is wrong with any of this?

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

No, its a GREAT thing.  If the two rookies suck that bad come September, we know we need a QB....Fitzpatrick or Sanchez could be just good enough to win too many games.  McCown WILL suck, and that will result in a better pick!  :)

Archived