Jets had all the wrong veterans

Jetster

Bowles needs to find some young leaders to take this team forward. There were & are players here whose time had come for various reasons. If you watched Brandon Marshall on Showtimes Inside the NFL, you realize very quickly that players with one foot inside the electronic media also have one foot out of the NFL door.

While outwardly all looked honky dory & Marshall seemed to be under control, I just don't think he was well liked in the locker room. His buddy Fitzpatrick whom Brandon, Mangold and Decker personally all but begged the Jets to bring him back lost the entire teams confidence with his mind boggling six interception game vs Kansas City. Fitz past history crept up again in the most ugly fashion & without any pelts on his wall this team mailed it in after that.

Im actually surprised that Decker is still here. It's no secret he's in NY to further his wife's career. While Mangold WAS a great player, he was never a follow me kind of guy like Woody or Fanaca. Those guys brought with them a winning attitude. 

You need leadership at all levels of a football team. If you look at successful franchises they all have it. Obviously we need a QB to step up but we also have to find those character guys that fire people up. Football has to be played with a very high level of intensity each week or you have no chance. How many Mondays do you say, "wow, the Jets didn't even show up?".

I think Leo becomes the leader of our Dline obviously, Lee or Jenkins have to make that climb at LB since Harris is pretty much done. Pryors failure to play to expectations has really killed our secondary, so while everyone's poo pooing a safety like Adams at #6 it's imperative that we find a leader like Adams to solidify that part of the team.

On offense it's of course the QB which we still don't have but guys like Beachum, Carpenter, Winters have got to take more leadership & bring guys like Shell & Johnson along, take pride in punching people in the mouth.

Enunwa & Powell seem to be the only guys that play with extra effort, inviting contact & fighting for inches the way Edelman does in New England. We have a lot of work to do on offense. It's time has come, whether it's 2017 or 2018, or combination of both, we have got to hit on some high offensive picks. Game changers! Williams, Fournette, Howard, Ross, Mixon? I'm not immune to picking any of these guys! Like I've said before "2 year rebuild", time for some excitement on offense.

Look at the Jets with Kenny Obrien. Freeman McNeil, Wesley Walker, Al Toon, Mickey Shular, look at us now, Bilal Powell, Eric (I'm a #2)Decker, ASJ?, and a bunch of unproven late rounders and a 2nd rounder with multiple injuries already. No QB other than a Tom Brady can succeed with such vanilla players.

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

IT starts with the coach. Bowles is about as intense as a cotton swab. 

Every once in a while you get a cotton swab where the cotton is not well wrapped on the stick. And you stick that puppy in your ear and start swirling and it hurts a little. I'm thinking you mean a well wrapped swab that doesn't do that right?

2 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

"play like a Jet" just can't be a slogan

It is a stupid slogan that Rex Ryan came up with and all too often the Jets DID play like Jets, which is to say lazy and underachieving. To make a slogan work you first must have DONE SOMETHING to make the slogan real. Do your job is much better in that it reminds each player what he is there for.

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

IT starts with the coach. Bowles is about as intense as a cotton swab. 

Bowle-s is clearly in over his head. When he tells the media that "sometimes guys alarm clocks don't work" it kind of excuses tardiness and takes the responsibility away from the player and puts it on an inanimate object. That is telling in and of itself. I do think he will be given a mulligan this season unless the young kids show a lack of progress.

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Every once in a while you get a cotton swab where the cotton is not well wrapped on the stick. And you stick that puppy in your ear and start swirling and it hurts a little. I'm thinking you mean a well wrapped swab that doesn't do that right?

Stop buying Johnson and Johnson swabs. Like the Jets they suck. 

14 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Bowle-s is clearly in over his head. When he tells the media that "sometimes guys alarm clocks don't work" it kind of excuses tardiness and takes the responsibility away from the player and puts it on an inanimate object. That is telling in and of itself. I do think he will be given a mulligan this season unless the young kids show a lack of progress.

I agree with this. Would like to think he can improve but I see little that supports that. Yeah that article was pitiful. I had one pat fan and one Bills fan friends of mine text it to me. Pretty good indicator right there. 

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I agree with this. Would like to think he can improve but I see little that supports that. Yeah that article was pitiful. I had one pat fan and one Bills fan friends of mine text it to me. Pretty good indicator right there. 

He is clearly clueless.  He says things that are contrary to the obvious.  Talk about being in a shell.  And I am not even talking about game decisions and game preparation.  Like I told someone yesterday, been watching Titan/Jet football since the first day, but I could turn my back on it this year. Last year made me sick to my stomach.  There have been a lot of those seasons over the years.  The no-matter-what-I-am-a-Jet-fan seasons.  Maybe my stomach cannot take it anymore.  We are going nowhere slowly.  I want to actually enjoy watching football again.  This rooting stuff is killing me.

This is at least the 3rd post where a poster on this board has tried to tie in Mangold as a less than exemplary player or leader.  It's almost as if these posters feel the Jets didn't have enough vets with a crappy attitude or less than stellar play, so they might as well shovel some dirt on a guy who is gone to help make their point. It would be fascinating if it wasn't so ignorant. 

10 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

I cannot believe how blind some people are...The team quit last season in week 3.

That is all you need to know about a HC. His team stopped playing. With 13 games to go. I can't. I really can't.

The problems began way before week 3.

Observation from watching a ton of youth, middle school, high school, travel team teams my son has played on/ is playing on. I'll assume the dynamics are about the same. It only takes a few turds in the punchbowl to ruin the entire batch of punch. And no amount of extra "fruit" or leaders masks the turds. 

At that point, the most you hope for is "turd suppression", but the taste of turd lingers. 

17 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

This is at least the 3rd post where a poster on this board has tried to tie in Mangold as a less than exemplary player or leader.  It's almost as if these posters feel the Jets didn't have enough vets with a crappy attitude or less than stellar play, so they might as well shovel some dirt on a guy who is gone to help make their point. It would be fascinating if it wasn't so ignorant. 

Please stop with the Nick Mangold defense. Nick was a good player, but he was a f*cking center, quick, name the starting center on the New England Patriots Super Bowl teams?

The Jets offensive line, specifically it's running offense went right down the sh*tter after 2010. Fanaca, Brandon Moore and Damien Woody were the juice in the running game. We ran right, not left much. 

How much fatter were the Jets gonna let Mangold get? I watched a backup DT literally abuse Nick in that Eagles game, right there I knew he was done. I'm not bashing Mangold, he just never had that nastiness that Kevin Mawae had. I remember a Monday Night game vs Miami, where Parcells kept running wide by having Mawae pull out & it just got to a point where the Miami players had just had enough & starting trying to duck out of the way.

Mawae was just unloading on these small LB, Safeties & Corners just searching and destroying. Mawae could pull & get out on the edge before Nick Mangold could get out of his stance the last 2 years.

Again, I liked Nick Mangold, but please, we had a castoff center in Jonathon Goodwin win a Super Bowl in New Orleans.

Think about this for a minute . The highest paid and older vets on the jets were expected to be the leaders of the team .

On Offense, the QB, the OC, and the 2 top receivers all formed a bond against the wishes of management before season even started .

On Defense, Revis, Wilkerson and Gilchrist all played horribly and then not at all due to injury . David Harris the quiet leader who led by his play, was being replaced by a rookie as the on field leader of the defense.

This team was lucky to win as much as it did .

Gone, all the supposed leaders now replaced by Enunwa who spoke up after the season and  Lee who has sur-planted Harris as the on field director  on the defense . This team needs the QB to assume command and bring the team together .  The player who can accomplish this will be the starter opening day .

53 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Observation from watching a ton of youth, middle school, high school, travel team teams my son has played on/ is playing on. I'll assume the dynamics are about the same. It only takes a few turds in the punchbowl to ruin the entire batch of punch. And no amount of extra "fruit" or leaders masks the turds. 

At that point, the most you hope for is "turd suppression", but the taste of turd lingers. 

that's crappy.

34 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Please stop with the Nick Mangold defense. Nick was a good player, but he was a f*cking center, quick, name the starting center on the New England Patriots Super Bowl teams?

The Jets offensive line, specifically it's running offense went right down the sh*tter after 2010. Fanaca, Brandon Moore and Damien Woody were the juice in the running game. We ran right, not left much. 

How much fatter were the Jets gonna let Mangold get? I watched a backup DT literally abuse Nick in that Eagles game, right there I knew he was done. I'm not bashing Mangold, he just never had that nastiness that Kevin Mawae had. I remember a Monday Night game vs Miami, where Parcells kept running wide by having Mawae pull out & it just got to a point where the Miami players had just had enough & starting trying to duck out of the way.

Mawae was just unloading on these small LB, Safeties & Corners just searching and destroying. Mawae could pull & get out on the edge before Nick Mangold could get out of his stance the last 2 years.

Again, I liked Nick Mangold, but please, we had a castoff center in Jonathon Goodwin win a Super Bowl in New Orleans.

No place for sentiment in winning football.  See Belichick, B.

I agree with the qb stepping up. They are young but either Hack or Petty needs to be a face and leader for the offence. The turnstile way of using multiple QBs during the season I think is detrimental to finding a qb to lead a team. A qb does have to be pushed but I think it does not help the team not knowing what qb will be behind center each week. Figure it out and play one qb. Ideally that will be hack.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

If the position is that insignificant then he shouldn't have made your list of "f*d up vets", which seemed to be based a lot on bad attitude - Marshall and Revis. 

Mangold got old. It happens in sports. Then the Jets let him go. Seems about right. Oh, maybe they held on to him one year too many. Horrors! 

And you point to the running game taking a hit after it loses two HOF candidates and another great player. So the dip in production was all on Mangold? 

2 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

It is a stupid slogan that Rex Ryan came up with and all too often the Jets DID play like Jets, which is to say lazy and underachieving. To make a slogan work you first must have DONE SOMETHING to make the slogan real. Do your job is much better in that it reminds each player what he is there for.

That is one way of viewing things. A negative view. If Rex were to put substance behind it and taught the Jets about leadership, maybe he would have still been here.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Hint: when better teams throw a seemingly productive player out the door, don't give that player a multi-year contract 

If you have a hof qb you can make any move you want that other teams would just get Killed for.  That is the pats, they have made terrible draft picks, toss good players away  over money for dirt cheap and make tons of bad moves but if you have a good system, cheat and have a great qb you get away with  it.

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

Bowles needs to find some young leaders to take this team forward. There were & are players here whose time had come for various reasons. If you watched Brandon Marshall on Showtimes Inside the NFL, you realize very quickly that players with one foot inside the electronic media also have one foot out of the NFL door.

While outwardly all looked honky dory & Marshall seemed to be under control, I just don't think he was well liked in the locker room. His buddy Fitzpatrick whom Brandon, Mangold and Decker personally all but begged the Jets to bring him back lost the entire teams confidence with his mind boggling six interception game vs Kansas City. Fitz past history crept up again in the most ugly fashion & without any pelts on his wall this team mailed it in after that.

Im actually surprised that Decker is still here. It's no secret he's in NY to further his wife's career. While Mangold WAS a great player, he was never a follow me kind of guy like Woody or Fanaca. Those guys brought with them a winning attitude. 

You need leadership at all levels of a football team. If you look at successful franchises they all have it. Obviously we need a QB to step up but we also have to find those character guys that fire people up. Football has to be played with a very high level of intensity each week or you have no chance. How many Mondays do you say, "wow, the Jets didn't even show up?".

I think Leo becomes the leader of our Dline obviously, Lee or Jenkins have to make that climb at LB since Harris is pretty much done. Pryors failure to play to expectations has really killed our secondary, so while everyone's poo pooing a safety like Adams at #6 it's imperative that we find a leader like Adams to solidify that part of the team.

On offense it's of course the QB which we still don't have but guys like Beachum, Carpenter, Winters have got to take more leadership & bring guys like Shell & Johnson along, take pride in punching people in the mouth.

Enunwa & Powell seem to be the only guys that play with extra effort, inviting contact & fighting for inches the way Edelman does in New England. We have a lot of work to do on offense. It's time has come, whether it's 2017 or 2018, or combination of both, we have got to hit on some high offensive picks. Game changers! Williams, Fournette, Howard, Ross, Mixon? I'm not immune to picking any of these guys! Like I've said before "2 year rebuild", time for some excitement on offense.

Look at the Jets with Kenny Obrien. Freeman McNeil, Wesley Walker, Al Toon, Mickey Shular, look at us now, Bilal Powell, Eric (I'm a #2)Decker, ASJ?, and a bunch of unproven late rounders and a 2nd rounder with multiple injuries already. No QB other than a Tom Brady can succeed with such vanilla players.

It's difficult to replace guys like Damien Woody, Tomlinson, and Faneca.  Those guys were good on the field, worked hard off the field, and new how to teach guys.  They just commanded respect.  Bilal Powell modeled himself after Tomlinson.  Every person on this board would love to have a roster full of Bilal Powells.

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If you have a hof qb you can make any move you want that other teams would just get Killed for.  That is the pats, they have made terrible draft picks, toss good players away  over money for dirt cheap and make tons of bad moves but if you have a good system, cheat and have a great qb you get away with  it.

Yep.  If you don't have a QB, you have to hit on almost every personnel move.  That's why the Jets started collapsing in 2011.  They couldn't keep all that talent together and the QB couldn't step it up to make up for the deficiencies in the rest of the team.  I mean, 4 ******* first rounders on the OL, both starting WRs were first round picks, Tomlinson was a clear HoF player and leader, Richardson was an excellent FB, Keller was a first rounder.  

If you have a Tom Brady, all you need is an OL that keep him upright.  The rest of your team can blow and you'll still win a lot of games.

7 hours ago, Jetster said:

you're making some good points.  the jets have always had a problem with on field leadership since namath.  but even there joe willie, post superbowl, wasn't exactly going out of his way to help the team. different era i suppose.  anyway the only way a team develops its leaders is to get a nice string of playoff appearances with player continuity. they have to be taught early on how to train, tackle, block, execute plays and so on.  people who think installing a super duper offense or defense is the trick are just fooling themselves if the players don't buy in and learn the system.

what's really hurt this jet team is seriously poor drafting for the 4 or 5 season's before mac came on.  i'm not saying all of mac's drafts have been A+ but he is getting guys who can play and with the right direction could become a pretty good team.  a few winning seasons and this team will be straightened out.

But Josh Gordon and Ray Rice aren't good enough to be on this team. 

Who even knows what kind of shape Ray rice is in anymore...gotta be a reason no one was willing to touch him after that video came out his talent was not the issue. Sadly his time has passed and the NFL is about to have a player at the same position with a similar problem drafted probably by the lions.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

I cannot believe how blind some people are...The team quit last season in week 3.

That is all you need to know about a HC. His team stopped playing. With 13 games to go. I can't. I really can't.

The team quit? I thought Bowles debunked that with his esoteric "It's not the effort, it's the concern" ghettobonics smoke he tried to blow up everyone's ass.

Archived