Your top 5s/sleeper/bust

Paradis

I'd post this in the Mahomes fan club *(aka draft forum) but apparently no one gives a sh*t anymore...  Be interested to hear your thoughts, or read your own top 5s and such.

All rankings are based on ON-FIELD assessment. Leave the off-field stuff to GMs/interviews

WR:
M. Williams
C. Davis
J. Smith-Schuster 
C. Samuel (ohio state)
C. Kupp (E. Wsh)
Sleeper: Jerome Lane (akron)... gonna stick with my dark horse
Bust: John Ross

RB:
D. Cook
L. Fournette
J. Mixon
C. McCaffrey
K. Hunt (toledo)
Sleeper: Aaron Jones, UTEP.. No surprises here. Most underrated RB in the draft IMO.
Bust: Marlon Mack, USF

TE:
E. Engram
OJ Howard
G. Everett (S. Alabama)
D. Njoku (Mia)
J. Sprinkle (ark)
Sleeper: A. Shaheen (ashland)
Bust: B. Hodges (VT)... I like bucky, but he doesn't use his size well, and has questionable hands. Think he'll be miscast into the slot when he should be lining up more like an H-back.

QB:
Watson
Trubisky
Webb
Mahomes
Kaaya
Sleeper: Peterman (pit)... i guess?
Bust: D. Kizer

OT:
R. Ramcyzk
G. Bolles
T. Moton
C. Robinson
J. Leamon (S.C. state)
Sleeper: Jylan Ware (obviously) bama state. 
Bust: J. Davenport (bucknell).. gonna be a massive reach

G/C:
F. Lamp
D. Dawkins (temple)
D. Feeney (ind)
E. Pocic (lsu)
D. Johnson (pit)
Sleeper: Ethan Cooper (ind/pa)
Bust: P. Elfein (osu)

Who I'm intrigued by as a late round 6th, 7th, or UDFA is UNC's WR Mack Hollins - 6'4" 222 lbs. 

ACE ST player and an obvious red zone and deep threat that can MAYBE develop into a #2. 

Here's a quick write-up I found on him: a Sar I's Darrius Hayward-Bey.  :P

2017 NFL Draft Player Profiles: North Carolina WR Mack Hollins

StockMackHollins1-777x429.jpg

From now until the 2017 NFL Draft takes place, we hope to showcase as many prospects as possible and examine both their strengths and weaknesses. Most of these profiles will feature individuals that the Pittsburgh Steelers are likely to have an interest in, while a few others will be top-ranked players. If there is a player you would like us to analyze, let us know in the comments below.

Mack Hollins/WR UNC – 6’4 221 

The Good

– NFL frame, runs well for his size, and a true Z receiver type, top length and good hand size (33 1/4 arms, 9 3/4 hands)
– Build-up speed, long strider and has big play ability downfield
– Does well to stack CBs vertically to help mask lack of deep speed
– Shows ability to break down and separate on longer developing breaking routes and works hard to get back to the football
– High effort as a blocker who uses size and length to his advantage
– Uses hands well to beat press and gets off the line relatively quickly
– Good football IQ and aware of down/distance, where the marker is at
– Tons of special teams value and very likely will carve out a niche there
– Regarded as a tireless worker and a top notch character

The Bad

– Lacks long speed though is good relative to size (4.53 at Combine)
– Not a twitchy player who is going to separate at the top of his route with his agility or burst, will rely on size to box out smaller defenders
– Struggles to break down on shorter breaking routes where he has to break down quickly after accelerating
– Limited YAC threat after the catch
– Limited body of work and mostly a one-trick pony in school

Bio

– Career: 81 receptions, 1667 yards (20.6 YPC) 20 TDs
– Averaged 24.8 yards per catch in 2015, caught 16 TDs on 65 passes from 2014-2015
– 24 career tackles
– Broke collarbone is October of 2016, missed rest of season
– Three year special teams captain for Tar Heels
– Came to UNC as a walk-on, earned scholarship after two years of paying his own way out-of-state
– Wants to own an aquarium after football, owns a python and other snakes
– Pittsburgh Steelers fan

Tape Breakdown

Hollins is going to be addressed as a receiver, and he certainly has talent there, but the focal point should be on what he offers on special teams. Just like he did in college, that’s how he’ll begin his NFL journey.

He wasn’t a high-prized college recruit. In fact, pretty much no one knew or cared who he was. He even spent a year at a JUCO, threw his resume out to 100 different schools before UNC – his dream school, by the way – offered him the walk-on opportunity. He spent two years there, earned his way on special teams, and nearly left school before getting that all mighty scholly. ESPN has a great feature story on his background and you should definitely check it out; the author, Jared Shanker, knocked it out of the park.

Before getting the full ride, Hollins ate Ramen Noodles and pinched every penny so he could avoid talking to his parents about lending him more money. So it’s a great story and fun feature piece for whatever team he goes to.

To the field because hey, that’s the most important thing. As a receiver, he is a mega-deep threat rarely caught a short pass in college. He doesn’t have great speed but similar to Chris Moore last year, Hollins is bigger, by the way, he just wins deep. He’s able to stack the CB vertically, a key trait, making it really tough for the corner instead of them being stride-for-stride and making it a 50/50 ball. This is a great example.

UnconsciousDefensiveAnophelesmosquito.gi

In that sense, he could be an X receiver even if his size reminds you of a Z type. His route tree isn’t varied, he isn’t twitchy, and he’s going to win with size and vertical route running ability. But if you want to play him as the Z, the strongside WR (Bryant, Coates, Cobi), he’s an excellent blocker who takes a lot of pride in the little things.

The little things like special teams. He didn’t do much in 2016, being thrust as a starter and then missing half the year with a bum collarbone, but he was an asset when running down kicks and punts. He’s also been on the punt return unit as a blocker.

His long-striding ability and “hair on fire” mentality – to steal the term of how Mike Tomlin called Curtis Brown – is immediately evident. Like here in 2014 against Duke, weaving past two blockers and still making the tackle for a short, 11 yard return.

PerkyMeatyDutchshepherddog.gif

Or here in 2015 against Clemson, diving out to make an ankle tackle.

NextHeartyGoldenretriever.gif

You’re probably comparing him to a Darrius Heyward-Bey career arc, without that whole “first round bust” aspect, and you’d be right. DHB is much, much faster than Hollins but they’re both deep threats and great special teamers who don’t offer much else. But what they offer is something a lot of receivers can’t bring, won’t bring, and a guy like Hollins might be one of the few guys to bump DHB off the roster. He won’t be drafted until late but you can bet he’ll make a 53 man roster.

Projection: Late Day Three (Late 6th-Early 7th)

Games Watched: vs Duke (2015),vs Clemson (2015), at Florida State, Assorted Special Teams Clips

Also like Baylor's Ishmael Zamora. Jets have always excelled with a  BEAST "Go up and & Get It" WR and the two I mentioned would be worth late picks that may develop into starters . . . . at worst, draw TONS of Pass Interference penalties with today's rules. 

Engram over Howard...ok, that's plausible, I guess, but Everett over Njoku is a head scratcher

I appreciate that they won't get drafted in that order, just my board is all. I'd draft to it based on value...

Njoku is an amazing athlete and a gifted TE, but Everett has the best hands of the group and is no slouch himself. I'd bet on that personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QB

1. Deshone Kizer
  2. Deshaun Watson
  3. Chad Kelly
  4. Pat Mahomes
  5. Mitch Trubisky

Sleeper: Josh Dobbs

Bust: Davis Webb

RB

1. Leonard Fournette
  2. Dalvin Cook
  3. Joe Mixon
  4. Alvin Kamara
  5. D'onta Foreman

Sleeper: Jamaal Williams

Bust: Christian McCaffrey

WR

1. Corey Davis
  2. Mike Williams
  3. Zay Jones
  4. JuJu Smith Schuster
  5. Chris Godwin

Sleeper: Robert Davis

Bust: John Ross

TE

1. David Njoku
  2. OJ Howard
  3. Evan Engram
  4. Gerald Everett
  5. Jordan Leggett

Sleeper: Jonnu Smith

Bust: Bucky Hodges

OT

1. Ryan Ramcyzk
  2. Garrett Bolles
  3. Cam Robinson
  4. Antonio Garcia
  5. Taylor Moton

Sleeper: Brad Seaton

Bust: David Sharpe

G/C

1. Forrest Lamp
  2. Dan Feeney
  3. Dion Dawkins
  4. Ethan Pocic
  5. Jon Toth

Sleeper: Danny Isidora

Bust: Pat Elflein

Obviously we know some of these players will not fulfill their draft status . With that said, I prefer to focus on those players who I feel will succeed that are not currently highly rated .

QB :  Joshua Dobbs - Kid has improved tremendously from his freshman year to this point in his career . He went from being the athlete who was a liability throwing the football to a QB who his team needed to make big throws for them to be successful . He's come along way as a college QB, but the believe here is that he has just as far to go to realize the dream of being a starting QB in the NFL . I think the kid has a better than average change .

RB : Elijah Hood -  Kid brings a specific skill level to the NFL that's missing for many teams . He runs with a low pad level and packs a wallop behind it . Tough inside runner who doesn't go down easily in the Chris Ivory mold . Should excel in short yardage and goal line situations .

OT: Julie' n Davenport - Kid has the length and size and footwork to be a long term solution as LT for any team willing to invest the time to wait for him to develop and gain strength in a conditioning program . IMO, at this point in time his lack of core strength is his biggest program. I would work on getting him stronger 1st, then put him in a rotation as a swing OT so he gets to test his new strength as a RT and continue to develop his footwork against speed rushers at LT .

TE : George Kittle - I like complete TEs who can block 1st and offer a true option as a receiver  . IMO, Kittle brings this to the NFL .

WR : Jalen Robinette - Big strong prospect who looks like a baby Terrell  Owens to me .

QB: 1. Watson 2. Mahomes 3. Webb 4. Peterman 5. Kizer

bust alert: Mitchell T.  sleeper: Josh Dobbs

RB: 1. Cook 2. McCaffery 3. Kamara 4. Foreman 5.  Mack 

bust alert: L. Fournette sleeper: Boom Williams

TE: 1. OJ Howard 2. Njoku 3. Engram 4. Everett 5. Legggett

bust alert: Shaheen  sleeper: Hikutini

WR: 1. Williams 2. Davis 3. Ross 4. Z. Jones 5. Samuel 

bust alert: JuJu Smith  sleeper: Dede Westbrook

OT: 1. Robinson 2. Ramcyzk 3. Bolles 4. Garcia 5. Dawkins

bust alert: Davenport  sleeper: Sharpe

OG/C: 1. Lamp 2. Freeny 3. Elfien 4. Pocic 5. Morton

bust alert: Morgan  sleeper: Isidora

QB:

Deshaun Watson

Mitch Trubisky

Pat Mahommes

Deshone Kizer

Nate Peterman

Sleeper:  West Lunt - Illinois

Bust - Davis Webb

RB:

Dalvin Cook

Joe Mixon

Leonard Fournette

Alvin Kamara

Christian McCaffery

Sleeper: Curtis Samuel

Bust: James Connor  (But Fournette will be the most disappointing)

WR:

Corey Davis

Mike Williams

Zay Jones

John Ross

Chris Godwin

Sleeper: Carlos Henderson

Bust: Cooper Kupp

TE:

OJ Howard

David Njoku

Evan Ingram

Gerald Everrett

Bucky Hodges

Sleeper: Jake Butt

Bust: Adam Shaheen (But OJ Howard will be the most disappointing)

OT:

Ryan Ramczyk

Garret Bowles

Cam Robinson

Taylor Moton

Dion Dawkins

Sleeper: Chad Wheeler

Bust:  Don't know

OG/C:

Forrest Lamp

Dan Feeney

Pat Elfein

Tyler Olosly

Ethan Pocic

Sleeper: Jessamen Dunker

Bust: Zach Banner

Top five sleepers on offense:

Wr Zay Jones: could easily end up being the best WR in this class.

QB Chad Kelly: in a class filled with question marks I'd take my chances with Kelly in the mid to late rounds. Has plenty of question marks but just as much talent as any of the guys projected to go in first round. Can't ignore the blood lines.

RB Joe Williams: guy quit football and then came back and ran like the best RB in college football. If he is committed to football he will be a stud. Projections have him going late, but I don't see him dropping past the 4th round as one team will likely look past his commitment issues.

TE Gerald leverett: tough to decide between him, engram and shaheen. There is sooo much talent at tight end. As NFL teams incorporate tight ends into their offense, you are seeing more and more talent at the collegiate level. Easily the best tight end class I can remember.

44 minutes ago, section314 said:

My top 5 pretty much chalk with everyone else. Here are a few 'sleepers".    QB  C.J Bethard    RB DeAngelo Henderson, Coastal Carolina 

WR Shelton Gibson W.VA.   TE  Blake Jarwin Ok.ST.      C Chase Roullier Wyoming.

Henderson is one that I believe could do well in the NFL.  Smaller back that falls into the Darrren Sproles, Jacquizz Rodgers, Dion Lewis, Danny Woddhead, Devonta Freeman mold that could find a niche role in an offense.  Not an every down or every formation type of back but sort of a game plan wildcard.  Some days could be high volume touches while other days he will be non-existent, depending on the other team's defense.

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Love Zay Jones. The next Keenan Allen.... Hopefully a little healthier version.

Great list.

Could see Zay Jones as one of the top slot wide receivers in the league, but not sure he would be as successful on the outsides.  One knock on him is his inability to fight off press coverage, something he will see a lot more of in the NFL.  Might need to play off the line until he gets better at releasing.  But looks like a willing block and has great athletic ability.

My rankings at each position are:

QB: Mitchell Trubisky, DeShone Kizer, Davis Webb, Deshuan Watson, Brad Kaaya

RB: Leonard Fournette, Dalvin Cook, D'Onta Foreman, Jeremy McNichols, Christian McCaffrey

WR: Corey Davis, Mike Williams, Ardarius Stewart, John Ross, Juju Smith-Schuster

TE: O.J. Howard, David Njoku, Bucky Hodges, Adam Shaheen, Jake Butt

OT: Ryan Ramczyk, Cam Robinson, Garret Bolles, Julie'n Davenport, Chad Wheeler  (not a strong OT class)

OG/C: Dan Feeney, Dorian Johnson, Ethan Pocic, Forrest Lamp, Pat Elflein

CB: Marlon Humphrey, Quincy Wilson, Kevin King, Cordrea Tankersley, Chidobe Awuzie

S: Jamal Adams, Desmond King, Jabril Peppers, Marcus Williams, Obi Melonfonwu

LB: Reuben Foster, Zach Cunningham, Haason Redick, Jarrad Davis, T.J. Watt

EDGE: Myles Garrett, Tim Williams, Charles Harris, Taco Charlton, DeMarcus Walker

DT: Jonathan Allen, Caleb Brantley, Carlos Watkins, Chris Wormley, Jaleel Johnson

32 minutes ago, Paddywagon said:

RB: Leonard Fournette, Dalvin Cook, D'Onta Foreman, Jeremy McNichols, Christian McCaffrey

WR: Corey Davis, Mike Williams, Ardarius Stewart, John Ross, Juju Smith-Schuster

OT: Ryan Ramczyk, Cam Robinson, Garret Bolles, Julie'n Davenport, Chad Wheeler  (not a strong OT class)

CB: Marlon Humphrey, Quincy Wilson, Kevin King, Cordrea Tankersley, Chidobe Awuzie

EDGE: Myles Garrett, Tim Williams, Charles Harris, Taco Charlton, DeMarcus Walker

DT: Jonathan Allen, Caleb Brantley, Carlos Watkins, Chris Wormley, Jaleel Johnson

Nice! ....I don't agree with half of it, but I like your style. 

I'm just gonna go sleeper and bust.

QB Sleeper - Brad Kaaya (I don't think he'll be a starter though)

QB Bust - Mitch Trubisky

RB Sleeper - Brian Hill

RB Bust - Wayne Gallman

WR Sleeper - Josh Malone

WR Bust - Isaiah Ford

TE Sleeper - Jake Butt (can we call him a sleeper due to injury pushing him down?)

TE Bust - Michael Roberts (fizzled from day 1 of SB to end of combine....- though I don't love picking him to bust...gotta pick someone though.)

OL Sleeper - Conor McDermott

OL Bust - David Sharpe

DL Sleeper - Nazair Jones/DeAngelo Brown

DL Bust - Jarron Jones

Edge Sleeper - Tarell Basham

Edge Bust - Tim Williams

LB Sleeper - Jordan Evans

LB Bust - Alex Anzalone

CB Sleeper - Jalen Myrick

CB Bust - Akhello Witherspoon (because he's not ready and will get drafted too high for size - if he gets picked in the 4th or later and gets time to develop...then diff story)

S Sleeper - John Johnson

S Bust - Jabrill Peppers

8 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

I am not an NFL scout so I don't feel as "qualified" as some of my fellow posters here to determine whether a collegiate player is a sleeper or a bust. I hope Maccagnan is.

Look at their combine numbers and see what drills translate to pro success at their respective position. Make sure their team interviews check out(like Geno playing Tetris in his interviews was a bad sign for a QB). It's the best you can do as a fan. There are still alotta GM's who make decisions like the old guys at the table in Moneyball who are worried about how the prospects GF looks. The combine matters a lot.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Look at their combine numbers and see what drills translate to pro success at their respective position. Make sure their team interviews check out(like Geno playing Tetris in his interviews was a bad sign for a QB). It's the best you can do as a fan. There are still alotta GM's who make decisions like the old guys at the table in Moneyball who are worried about how the prospects GF looks. The combine matters a lot.

When a baseball scout says a prospect has an ugly girlfriend, he means that the player has bad eyes at the plate. A reference to his vision. Like, he's got an ugly gf because he doesn't see well enough to know better. I have a vast knowledge of scouting lingo.

QB:  Deshaun Watson, Pat Mahomes, DeShone Kizer, Chad Kelly, Josh Dobbs
Sleeper: Nate Peterman

RB: Christian McCaffrey, Leonard Fournette, Joe Mixon, Marlon Mack, Samaje Perine
Sleeper: De'Angelo Henderson

WR: Mike Williams, Corey Davis, Chris Godwin, Taywan Taylor, Dede Westbrook
Sleeper: Carlos Henderson

TE: David Njoku, Evan Engram, O.J. Howard, Jake Butt, Jordan Leggett
Sleeper: Eric Saubert

OT: Ryan Ramcyzk, Garrett Bolles, Cam Robinson, Roderick Johnson, Dion Dawkins
Sleerp: Taylor Moton

OG/C: Forrest Lamp, Dan Feeney, Pat Elflein, Isaac Asiata, Dorian Johnson
Sleeper: John Toth

23 hours ago, Paddywagon said:

@paddywagon, did you forget about Malik Hooker or do you just not rate him that highly at safety ?

Archived