Best and Most Horrible Sports Entities 2017

T0mShane

At the bar watching SNY with the sound off and fringe WFAN person Sal Licata is debating someone about hockey, which led me to wondering what sh*t in sports in actually the worst sh*t. So I ranked them:

Worst sh*t:

1. Jason Whitlock--Carved a niche a few years back as an interesting voice on race in sports, but soon became a cartoon character when ESPN execs picked him to be one of their edgy commentators.

2. ESPN--Other than occasional live sports events, does anyone watch this sh*t anymore? Their programming these days consists of thinking of the dumbest topics possible and dredging together a 24/7 carnival out of it.

3. Francesa--Probably should have left with Dog, but hung in despite mentally retiring a decade ago. He was THE transformative figure in sports media for 20 years, but he's been a shell of that guy for a decade.

4. SNY's non-Mets programming

Best: 

1. Gary, Ron, and Keith-- Peerless. Makes the Yankees radio and TV teams look like the public access garbage they are.

2. Troy Aikman-- No nonsense, real, honest, if a little boring. 

3. Jim Rome-- Hated this guy for a long time, but have come to understand that he's the only one who's aware that he's covering idiocy for and with idiots.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Honest to God, I had forgotten Deadspin existed

That's fair. I cant really think of anyone I like too much at this point. If it werent for the Yankees contract does WFAN even exist after Francesa leaves?

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

That's fair. I cant really think of anyone I like too much at this point. If it werent for the Yankees contract does WFAN even exist after Francesa leaves?

One would hope market forces would punish them for Boomer and Carton.

5 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Tweedle F'n Dee                   and            Twiddle F'n Dumb:

stephen-a-smith-and-chip-bayless.jpg

To me, they're not even real. They're CGI-created assclowns meant solely to appeal to people in the Deep South. 

Yep.....Stephen A Smith is more like Tweedle-douchenozzle. 

Dolan still in my top-3 because the Knicks are still a cesspool and he's going to waste Porzingis.

Rounding it out, I'll throw in the PGA for for letting fans impact officiating on a ridiculous ruling. 

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

At the bar watching SNY with the sound off and fringe WFAN person Sal Licata is debating someone about hockey, which led me to wondering what sh*t in sports in actually the worst sh*t. So I ranked them:

Worst sh*t:

1. Jason Whitlock--Carved a niche a few years back as an interesting voice on race in sports, but soon became a cartoon character when ESPN execs picked him to be one of their edgy commentators.

2. ESPN--Other than occasional live sports events, does anyone watch this sh*t anymore? Their programming these days consists of thinking of the dumbest topics possible and dredging together a 24/7 carnival out of it.

3. Francesa--Probably should have left with Dog, but hung in despite mentally retiring a decade ago. He was THE transformative figure in sports media for 20 years, but he's been a shell of that guy for a decade.

Best: 

1. Gary, Ron, and Keith-- Peerless. Makes the Yankees radio and TV teams look like the public access garbage they are.

3. Jim Rome-- Hated this guy for a long time, but have come to understand that he's the only one who's aware that he's covering idiocy for and with idiots.

Just thinking along those lines lol.

SNY is brutal, Sal Licata and Mark Malusis are brutal. Do those two jackasses get their clothes and shoes at a two for one sale at Marshalls? Omfg. And Gary Apple.... Holy sh*t is he God awful

As bad as SNY is, Cohen, Keith, and Ronny are the best. Steve Gelbs is good too.

SNY needs to lose Applehead and get areal baseball guy in the ******* studio!!:angry:

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

So I can see Michael Kay is getting a pass here. How many blowjobs did it take for the gig Mike? How many?

Him and John Sterling had to have given a freak show for George and his friends. Neither had any problem with that no doubt

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Best: 

100% best in the business. And I'll even take it a step further and say that Keith is so ******* good that I get sad when we're only left with Darling. When all 3 are together it's magic.

Howie deserves some love too.

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Him and John Sterling had to have given a freak show for George and his friends. Neither had any problem with that no doubt

You are forgetting that shrew Suzin Waldman. God I can't stand her.

and 1800kars for kids commercials. Every second. Kill me please. Today it came on WFAN, so I turned to ESPN and it was playing there too at the same time.

I give honorable mention to the NFL in general for making the TV game experience hideous full of endless ad's, stupid replays, over analysis of everything trying to make each game 100% perfect, causing the games to go on forever. All I can say is thank god for the Red Zone Channel, the greatest TV football invention of all time.

Oh and I miss Bobby Ojeda on SNY Mets postgame. For whatever reason they got rid of him and brought in no talent Nelson Figueroa, god only knows why. Its been 3 or 4 years already and Figueroa still has not improved, he is still uncomfortable to watch. The Mets have the best broadcast team in all sports IMO. Cohen, Keith and Darling are just tremendous.

Was that yet another Billy Joel concert on MSG by the way? Get ready, when the Rangers are eliminated this week, Billy's a comin. Every night. LOL.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Worst sh*t:

Best: 

I'd add Mike Mayock to that best list. He is one of the few color guys that actually teaches the game to the fans.  He was outstanding on UND broadcasts.

10 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

You are forgetting that shrew Suzin Waldman. God I can't stand her.

and 1800karsfor kids commercials. Every second. Kill me please.

I give honorable mention to the NFL in general for making the game experience hideous full of endless ad's, stupid replays, over analysis of everything trying to make each game 100% perfect, causing the games to go on forever.

Oh and I miss Bobby Ojeda on SNY Mets postgame. For whatever reason they got rid of him and brought in no talent Nelson Figueroa, god only knows why. Its been 3 or 4 years already and Figueroa still has not improved, he is still uncomfortable to watch. The Mets have the best broadcast team in all sports IMO. Cohen, Keith and Darling are just tremendous.

Yeah, they killed the pre and post game with Applehead and Nelson. Prolly they come cheap, and the fans suffer.

Get anybody but Apple, and gimme DuQuette and/or Zeile, or even Bobby O!

ESPN non-game programming. A race-baiting, watch a ten thousandth no D alley-oop sh*t fest. 

Michael Kay. The days when he's off and it's any other combo I'm good. Singleton is just fine with the play-by-play those days. 

Jon Gruden. He's not that great guys, sorry. Every player every week is the best at whatever someone else just a week before was. It makes him look unintelligent. 

IOC, NCAA, and FIFA. Pure evil.

I don't hate Suzyn, she's just a fan who landed a great gig. 

Hockey is the best sh*t ever. Just watch any playoff game for the next 2 months. 

8 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Michael Kay. The days when he's off and it's any other combo I'm good. Singleton is just fine with the play-by-play those days. 

I don't hate Suzyn, she's just a fan who landed a great gig. 

Absolutely.

I always stick up for Suzyn saying the same thing. It's not that she's great or I love hearing her but I just don't mind her at all. She does a good enough job and you can tell how much she genuinely loves what she's doing.

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Worst sh*t:

Best: 

I'd put Phil Simms in the same category as Troy Aikman. Both do a pretty good job. Every other NFL announcer/analyst is god-awful.

the bottom line is sports is entertainment so i don't want to have these morons trying to spew bs about public policy or blm or anything that isn't related to the game i'm watching.  espn is horrible.  and it's not just because of the way they cleaned out all of the lechers from the station but they continue to parade a bunch of people who know nothing about anything. as for the other clowns mentions, good riddance and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

what i'd like to know is what phil simms did wrong at cbs now that tony romo is taking over his spot.

Blows my mind that people watch sports commentary or listen to radio at all, then whine about how stupid it is. Watch the games, talk with your friends about it. Thats about it for me. The rest is just noise.

As far as actual sports, the NBA is a total joke all around, and the NFL is quickly moving in that direction. Used to be able to watch and truly enjoy any matchup, but the rule changes have made it so boring and one dimensional that I can only sit tgrough Jets games (barely).

Not many complaints about baseball, the best sport to watch IMO, but I would like to see a bit of a return to giving pitchers a little more leeway in pitching inside. Hockey is good right now and college hoops are great. College football is a far superior product right now to the NFL, except I find Saturdays difficult to justify in front of a TV.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

the bottom line is sports is entertainment so i don't want to have these morons trying to spew bs about public policy or blm or anything that isn't related to the game i'm watching.  espn is horrible.  and it's not just because of the way they cleaned out all of the lechers from the station but they continue to parade a bunch of people who know nothing about anything. as for the other clowns mentions, good riddance and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

what i'd like to know is what phil simms did wrong at cbs now that tony romo is taking over his spot.

Good point, I am wondering why BB and Kraft allowed this to happen, Simms was and is the #1 Pats ass kisser, and we know the Pats run the NFL.

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Worst sh*t:

Best: 

I like Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling a lot.  However, Gary Cohen is the most overrated, smug POS to plague the TV set.

In the vein of sports broadcasters:

• John Smoltz as the color guy for postseason baseball is nearly flawless. 
  • Doc Emrick as the play-by-play guy for NBC's NHL playoffs broadcasts is the GOAT. I think when he left Newark, the Devils lost all their swagger.
  • Phil Simms as the color guy for the NFL on CBS has gotten more painful by the year.

Archived