Another QB Scenario

KRL

4 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I wonder what Jet fans are going to bitch about if the Jets end up with the 6th pick in 2018 and Sam Darnold is still on the board at pick 4 .

"Why did Bowles go all out to win against the Pats in week 17 when they only dressed 8 guys for the game?"

5 hours ago, KRL said:

I know most of the "tank" fanbase is focusing on the QB's in the draft but there is
another scenario people should keep in mind.  The front office could be focusing on
going after Garrapolo in free agency.  With him they would be getting a 25 year old
who has been trained by Belichick, McDaniel & Brady for 4 years and doesn't have
to "transition" to the pros.  Once he's signed then the team could auction off their
high pick and use those picks (11 or 12??) to surround Garrapolo with talent.  Just
speculating    

All the other Tom Brady backups over the past decade make a strong case for this being a good idea.

1 hour ago, Tony MaC said:

I'm not gonna be surprised if the Jets get a free agent instead of drafting a QB. They have the money for it. My guess would be Cousins more than Jimmy G. though. Good age, success in a WCO not a fan of his current teams FO, it would make sense.

Yeah let's give a 31 year old QB 200 million to come in, and learn a new offensive system, and play with new players he never played with should start reaping the benefits when he is 34 can't wait.

Dafuq is wrong with you people!

When the top pick is anything other than a potential once-in-a-decade QB, you can play around with trading down.  But when you haven't had a good, let alone great QB in over a decade, you don't.  You take the guy and be glad you didn't have to give up all your future picks to get him.  

If Peyton Manning came out a year earlier, would you go back and trade that pick for lots of picks so you could take more James Farriors?  Of course not.  Would you rather have had Elway or trade down, get Todd Blackedge and picks?  

I don't know if Darnold (or someone else) will look like that next April/May, but if one of them does, you take him.  If two of them do, you still take one unless you are moving down to #2.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Cleveland has had 47,000 pics in the last five drafts, and how's that worked out for them? Screw volume. Take the best quarterback and then head to church and pray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't start rebuilding until you solve the QB position.  And taking Kizer in round two isn't going to solve their problem. Cleveland's front office is full of Baseball analysts that think Franchise QBs are like #1 starters in MLB.  

Problem is there aren't 15 franchise QBs in the NFL.  

6 hours ago, pointman said:

Garrapolo wreaks of another Matty Flynn type. He isn't the prophet we need. Sign our own QB in the draft.

i don't understand this love fest with garapolo.  he started 3 games and was injured.  the patsies are playing this close to the vest because they are sitting on an asset.  they'll make the deal when the time comes.  the matt flynn comparison is apt.  he was shielded by gb and then traded to seatlle who promptly ditched him when they found out how good wilson was.  that's the way it works.

49 minutes ago, Toua77 said:

Develop our own. Jimmy G might be good, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable going down on our own sword than handing Belicheat picks for him.

Well there is no scenario where Belichick would ever make a trade with the Jets, so they definitely won't be getting any picks from the Jets.

Jimmy is an unrestricted free agent after this season. I think if the Patriots want to keep him it would cost like 24 million or so if they tag him (don't quote me on that). Tom Brady is under contract until 2019.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Well there is no scenario where Belichick would ever make a trade with the Jets, so they definitely won't be getting any picks from the Jets.

Jimmy is an unrestricted free agent after this season. I think if the Patriots want to keep him it would cost like 24 million or so if they tag him (don't quote me on that). Tom Brady is under contract until 2019.

Yeah I don't think they'd risk going into the season with some $45m tied up on Brady/Garoppolo.

Unless their desire is to keep him for themselves, with so many QB prospects coming out, becoming a UFA couldn't be worse timing for NE to try to get a high pick off tagging/trading Garoppolo. If they just let him go outright, as things stand today Garoppolo isn't getting $24m on a 1 year deal with no compensation due to NE. 

Lots can happen between now and then, though.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah I don't think they'd risk going into the season with some $45m tied up on Brady/Garoppolo.

Unless their desire is to keep him for themselves, with so many QB prospects coming out, becoming a UFA couldn't be worse timing for NE to try to get a high pick off tagging/trading Garoppolo. If they just let him go outright, as things stand today Garoppolo isn't getting $24m on a 1 year deal with no compensation due to NE. 

Lots can happen between now and then, though.

A lot will depend on Brady. Does he slow down this year? If so we know Bill will rip the band aid off. Then maybe we can just sign Brady. I mean his kid has the initials J.E.T. so I am sure he would look good in green.

13 minutes ago, Maxman said:

A lot will depend on Brady. Does he slow down this year? If so we know Bill will rip the band aid off. Then maybe we can just sign Brady. I mean his kid has the initials J.E.T. so I am sure he would look good in green.

Or if Brady gets injured early-on again. Like I said, lots can happen between now & then.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Or if Brady gets injured early-on again. Like I said, lots can happen between now & then.

I know you said a lot can happen between now & then. But I chose to ignore that part. Because I want to discuss it without knowing all the facts. We get more posts out of it that way.

14 hours ago, nycdan said:

When the top pick is anything other than a potential once-in-a-decade QB, you can play around with trading down.  But when you haven't had a good, let alone great QB in over a decade, you don't.  You take the guy and be glad you didn't have to give up all your future picks to get him.  

If Peyton Manning came out a year earlier, would you go back and trade that pick for lots of picks so you could take more James Farriors?  Of course not.  Would you rather have had Elway or trade down, get Todd Blackedge and picks?  

I don't know if Darnold (or someone else) will look like that next April/May, but if one of them does, you take him.  If two of them do, you still take one unless you are moving down to #2.

Peyton is not coming out next year. More like Eli, Rivers, Rothlisburger. 

Now would you trade Eli for Ben and 2 firsts and 2 second rounders?

I maybe wrong but isn't the franchise tag an average of the top 5 players at
the position?  If that's the case with the contracts Carr & Stafford just signed
the QB tag could be in the $25-$27 million range.  That's nuts for a "backup"
QB when Brady is still on top of his game

2018 will be the 1st time since missing out on Matt Ryan by winning meaningless season ending games the NY Jets will have a serious chance at fixing their QB crisis. A lot of personnel guys are saying this group coming out of college has the most potential to be NFL quality QBs since 2004 & Eli, Big Ben & Phillip Rivers were in the draft.

There is no doubt in my mind that Macc felt the same way and he doesn't believe in the Darnold or nothing sentiment. Plus you might have Cousins & Garapolo out there. While everyone has already buried Hackenberg as a bust I'm not giving up yet. I've been around long enough to see the resurrection of buried QBs like Vinnie Testeverde & Steve Young. Some guys take longer than others, this idea that a guy who just turned 22 learning a new system, playing with a group of neophyte NFL offensive players & a 2nd string Oline should look like a 5 year veteran is ridiculous & laughable.

THAT would be interesting....
Here is a wonky trade proposal I saw online.  People would CRUCIFY Mac for doing this:
https://nflmocks.com/2017/08/31/2018-nfl-mock-draft-jets-strike-gold-in-blockbuster-trade/?utm_campaign=FanSided+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

Everybody is ready to assume the New York Jets, the runaway favorites for the #1 pick, in this 2018 NFL mock draft and others, will take the top QB.

Sure it makes sense in the overall view. Quarterback is their weakest position and its dogged them for decades. At the same time it’s important to remember this isn’t a team having a down year. The Jets are bad and likely will be a long way from contention even if they take the top QB on the board. So why not auction the pick off to the highest bidder? It’s been done before. Based on this scenario that’s exactly what they do, and get a large return for it.

1. Jacksonville Jaguars (via NYJ)

Jaguars get #1 pick and take Sam Darnold   Jets get #4 pick, 2nd in 2018, 1st in 2019, 2nd in 2019, and 1st in 2020  

4. New York Jets (via Jax)

Connor Williams OT Texas 

Pats are not giving up garrapolo

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

20 minutes ago, jetsfansince7 said:

Pats are not giving up garrapolo

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

They don't have a choice; He's a UFA.  If he gets the offer to start with enough money, I think he would take it.  He will be sitting behind Tom for another 3 years, putting him to his 29th birthday.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

They don't have a choice; He's a UFA.  If he gets the offer to start with enough money, I think he would take it.  He will be sitting behind Tom for another 3 years, putting him to his 29th birthday.

Exactly! As much as he loves being a Patriot, he needs to make some money while he's still young. His agent would be like, "every year you stay here as a backup is another year added to your age & ability to get a nice contract".

Giraffe neck will be available to after the Bears cut him. 

Archived