Four QB Scenarios

KRL

The wisdom of doing so aside, in practical terms neither Brady nor Alex Smith are signing a short deal with the worst team in football, to play for either a horrible lame duck HC or our next first-time, defense-centric HC.

The only possible options are draft our own or sign Garoppolo and trade our #1-3 overall pick for a mega-haul. The problem with the Garoppolo idea is two-fold: #1, we're passing on a theoretically-superior, top-3 (if not #1 overall) talent prospect in favor of a late 2nd round prospect who's either rode the pine or the injury report for 4 straight years. And problem #2 is it's not as though he's going to come cheaply - or even reasonably, considering his resume. He could command $18m/yr or more. The only thing holding that back is the quality and quantity of QB prospects in the 2017 class.

I'd really rather draft our own (but granted, there's a lot of time between now and the end of this season). Ultimately I just want the best young franchise QB we can get our hands on, and honestly who among us cares how or from where we got him? I will say it is a nice bonus to get one through the draft so we have a FQB for 4 years at around $5m.

Plus their careers are so long we aren't limited to some narrow SB-or-bust 2-3 year window. That's why teams are willing to fork over 2-3 #1 picks for a shot at one. You really need to find starters with later picks, which is harder, but even if you don't these guys' careers are 10-15 years long so it's still worth the price if he pans out. So I'm not going to lament losing 1-2 extra first rounders from someone else (by going with a Garoppolo type). 

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

For what it's worth, Glennon had a good game week 1 for anyone who seen it. The game was neck and neck going into halftime. Falcons came out and scored 10 unanswered the 2nd half, Glennon marched them down the field twice during his last 2 drives of the game. The first time passing for a TD (after Cohen dropped a 30 yard TD pass earlier on the drive) then during Glennon's 2 min warning he drives them down the field and the receivers dropped 3 TD passes in a row, and on 4th and goal the RT gets run over and Glennon gets sacked to end the game. 

The Bears may be the only team in the league with a worst WR core than the Jets. Their RB duo is lethal though. If for whatever reason we're out of the QB draft race and the Bears move forward with Trubisky, we should pick up Glennon and take all those draft picks and draft Olinemen and runningbacks. 

EDIT: and im not trying to hijack. Just wanted to comment to the thread. I'll make sure to leave that here and that's it. 

Ummmmm you know where I stand.  ?

But no one in their right mind would have said that McCown is better than Glennon at this stage of their careers. 

14 hours ago, KRL said:

Here are four QB scenarios that could happen in 2018, which one would you want?

The first two start up in NE:

1. They can't wrap up 50+ million in the QB position so they let Garrapolo walk.
We sign him as our franchise QB and auction off our #1 pick to the highest
bidder.  Then use our remaining cap space and ton of draft picks to re-make the
team

2. Belichick/Kraft sign Garrapolo to a long term deal and let Brady walk.  Feeling
disrespected and wanting to get revenge, Brady comes to NY on a short deal.  We use
our #1 pick on the future QB and the remaining picks and cap space to surround Brady
with talent.  Short term you challenge for a championship with Brady but you also
have secured your long term future with a QB in waiting and a young roster

3. With KC wanting to turn the team over to Mahomes they let Smith walk and we sign
him to a short deal.  We use our #1 pick on the future QB and the remaining picks
and cap space to surround Smith with talent.  Short term you challenge for the playoffs
but you also have secured your long term future with a QB in waiting and a young roster  

4. We use the #1 pick on the QB of the future.  Then we use the rest of our picks and
all of our cap space to surround him with young talent.  We then make the #1 pick show
he's ready to handle the starting spot by making him beat out a "placeholder" QB in
camp  

i don't see where all this love for garrapolo comes from.  he won 3 games but we're talking about the patsies not some inept team.  and was also injured during his brief stint. it could be he's being groomed for brady's spot but even that doesn't mean he'd pan out anywhere else.

8 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

What about Teddy Bridgewater?

Teddy injured his knee last August and the last I heard, he hasn't even been cleared to practice yet.  13 months.  He's either done or not even a consideration for the Vikes

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets need to follow the Raider/Cowboy model and at least build the OL in preparation of a QB coming.  I don't know where it is today, honestly.  Maybe short a C and LT.  

I think with what looks like we are going to have 4 of the top 65-67 picks and between $80-$100M in cap space, I think we can rebuild the OL quite adequately for our FQB.

On 9/16/2017 at 9:48 AM, Villain The Foe said:

For what it's worth, Glennon had a good game week 1 for anyone who seen it. The game was neck and neck going into halftime. Falcons came out and scored 10 unanswered the 2nd half, Glennon marched them down the field twice during his last 2 drives of the game. The first time passing for a TD (after Cohen dropped a 30 yard TD pass earlier on the drive) then during Glennon's 2 min warning he drives them down the field and the receivers dropped 3 TD passes in a row, and on 4th and goal the RT gets run over and Glennon gets sacked to end the game. 

The Bears may be the only team in the league with a worst WR core than the Jets. Their RB duo is lethal though. If for whatever reason we're out of the QB draft race and the Bears move forward with Trubisky, we should pick up Glennon and take all those draft picks and draft Olinemen and runningbacks. 

EDIT: and im not trying to hijack. Just wanted to comment to the thread. I'll make sure to leave that here and that's it. 

I'm just amused at referring to anything in the giraffe's outing as being "neck and neck" lol.

I mean, of course it was neck and neck, right? Neck and neck and neck and neck... :) 

On 9/16/2017 at 6:22 AM, KRL said:

Here are four QB scenarios that could happen in 2018, which one would you want?

The first two start up in NE:

1. They can't wrap up 50+ million in the QB position so they let Garrapolo walk.
We sign him as our franchise QB and auction off our #1 pick to the highest
bidder.  Then use our remaining cap space and ton of draft picks to re-make the
team

2. Belichick/Kraft sign Garrapolo to a long term deal and let Brady walk.  Feeling
disrespected and wanting to get revenge, Brady comes to NY on a short deal.  We use
our #1 pick on the future QB and the remaining picks and cap space to surround Brady
with talent.  Short term you challenge for a championship with Brady but you also
have secured your long term future with a QB in waiting and a young roster

3. With KC wanting to turn the team over to Mahomes they let Smith walk and we sign
him to a short deal.  We use our #1 pick on the future QB and the remaining picks
and cap space to surround Smith with talent.  Short term you challenge for the playoffs
but you also have secured your long term future with a QB in waiting and a young roster  

4. We use the #1 pick on the QB of the future.  Then we use the rest of our picks and
all of our cap space to surround him with young talent.  We then make the #1 pick show
he's ready to handle the starting spot by making him beat out a "placeholder" QB in
camp  

1.  I think this would be one of the worst things that we can do given our situation because Garrapolo hasn't done anything yet to show that he can be difference maker, let alone be a franchise guy.  A two game sample just isn't good enough to take the shot on him.  He could be great, or he won't be great.  But that's a chance you take when you finish 6-10, know the top QBs won't fall to you, so you take your shot with money.  With a top 3 pick next year, you go QB because you have that position at an under-value contract for 5 years, in one of the more loaded QB classes in recent memory.  

2.  Pretty much no way Kraft signs off on this, Bellichek maybe, but never Kraft.  Brady's pretty much got carte blanche in terms of his contract situation.  Brady alone has made Kraft way too much money for him to sign off on dropping their franchise guy, quite possibly the best QB in the history of the game, for an unproven guy in Garrapolo.  Garrapolo goes somewhere else and becomes good? People will forgive the Pats for letting him get away.  Brady goes somewhere for even one year and does well?  People will torch Kraft for the rest of his life unless Garrapolo turns into a stud.  I believe he has Jeter status with the team, only going on his terms.  I believe Favre/Rodgers is a scenario a lot of people paint, but Favre was very mediocre in the two seasons prior to his last season in Green Bay.  It was why they were grooming Rodgers because they figured Favre would retire or decline further.  And still people were ready to lynch the team for making that decision.  Brady is still a top tier QB, quite possibly MVP level, so they won't do that.  Only way is some kind of catastrophic injury. 

3.  I could see this from the Jets perspective, I wouldn't see if from Smith's point of view though.  In this scenario, he would have been pushed out by Kapernick and Mahomes, so I don't see him signing somewhere just for short term value, knowing they are picking someone else to take over for him.  I see some place like Arizona (good team, QB may or may not suck), Washington (if Cousins leaves), or some competitive team that needs a veteran QB.  I could see this from the Jets side, especially if they resign Bowles and his penchant for veterans, but I just don't see it from Smith.

4.  I think this is the most likely scenario.  They pick a top 3 QB, and let the guy run with the job.  They use the money to help fill in offensive line, and receiver (I really like them to take a shot on Allen Robinson).  I could see them invest in a decent RB that pass protects, to help out the young QB (ala Thomas Jones and Tomlinson for Sanchez).  It also behooves the Jets to not trade this pick, because they need all the goodwill they can get.  A draft pick this high buys you about 2-3 years in developing time to turn things around.  

Archived