The "Can the Jets go 8-8 AND make the playoffs" Thread

ZachEY

5-2 will likely be enough to get a WC, can we get there?  I don't see any games they won't have a chance in and NE will likely be resting starters week 17 so who knows?  I think the Panther game will be key, the 2 toughest games look to be KC and NO so if we lose those we'd have to win the rest.  I think Carolina is a swing game.  right now though I just want to get to 5-5.  if we want a realistic shot we cannot afford to blow the TB game.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I don’t care how bad the Broncos seem to be right now. On the road, in Denver is just not going to be as easy as some folks think. I honestly don’t see more than 2 wins left on the schedule. 

There's part of me that thinks @ Denver is the most obvious L left on the schedule.

Just now, RESNewYork said:

I bet fans of the bucs, panthers, chiefs, broncos, saints, chargers, and pats are looking at the team's remaining schedule and discussing how the Jets are a win for them.

Maybe not the Bucs. 

Outside of the Bucs and maybe the Chargers I'd agree. I'd assume Panther, Broncos, Saints fans etc. view the Jets as a win. They should... Doesn't, of course, mean they're right.

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

Outside of the Bucs and maybe the Chargers I'd agree. I'd assume Panther, Broncos, Saints fans etc. view the Jets as a win. They should... Doesn't, of course, mean they're right.

Agree. I just think it's a tall order. Effort only goes so far. Dont think there's enough talent to make that run.  It's cool and fun that some fans are optimistic playoffs are possible. I would be shocked. 

I think the Bucs, Broncos and Chargers are all beatable which would send the Jets into the season finale agaunst NE with a 7-8 mark and needing a win to get in. An interesting scenario for sure. A win and a playoff berth would guarantee Bowles returns however.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I don’t care how bad the Broncos seem to be right now. On the road, in Denver is just not going to be as easy as some folks think. I honestly don’t see more than 2 wins left on the schedule. 

Brock Osweiler at QB gives me hope the Jets CAN beat the Broncos who are falling apart and may have packed it in already.

5 hours ago, gEYno said:

The AFC flat out sucks.  If the season ended today, the seeding (per espn) would be:

1. Steelers

2. Patriots

3. Chiefs

4. Titans

5. Jaguars

6. Bills

The Jags and Bills are both 5-3 today.  And the other teams in contention, Dolphins, Ravens, and Raiders, have all failed to distinguish themselves.

Too early to run scenarios, but in a season where it looked like the tank was on and 2-3 wins realistic, 4 wins could potentially get a playoff spot...

That said, it's tough to find 4 more wins:

Bucs, Panthers, Chiefs, Broncos, Saints, Chargers, Pats

But 8-8 could definitely do it this year.

Will will go 4-12 Book em Danno.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

It's a nice thought, but I don't think so.

We're 4-5 now.  We play:

1. At Bucs (Call it a Win) Enjoy the last breaths of postseason hope, 5-5

Bye Week, No QB Change because "Hope!"

2. Panthers (Loss) Jets O can't get it done, 5-6

3. Chiefs (Big Loss) 5-7, Season All But Over Now and Team Will Know It

4. At Broncos (Loss, Albeit Close) 5-8, Season Over, QB Change Pending

5. At Saints (Crushing Loss) 5-9, if Petty/Hack hasn't been played yet (and they won't, Bowles being Bowles), they will after this game.

6. Chargers (Win), Jets rise under whomever kid QB plays, wins vs. meh Chargers team. 6-9

7. At Patriots (Loss), Jetss kid QB falls back to Earth, 3+ INT's, sad end to season, 6-10

That's how I see it as of today.

That sounds about right. To me the key is the Carolina game. If we pull that one out.....

3 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

I will gladly eat all the crow this board can serve up if the Jets go 9-7.  It would truly be stunning.

I would like to add that no matter what the Jets record ends up being and wherever the Jets end up picking, Mac needs to go balls out to draft a franchise QB in 2018. 

IMO based on this roster and their previous experience (think McCown) or lack thereof 6-10 would be stunning

56 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I bet fans of the bucs, panthers, chiefs, broncos, saints, chargers, and pats are looking at the team's remaining schedule and discussing how the Jets are a win for them.

Maybe not the Bucs. 

I don't think so.......

Ironically the Jets have played some of the most solid and consistent football in the NFL this year (albeit the NFL sucks this year). 

Indeed two games they lost in questionable fashion.  IMO no one should be saying Woowee we play the Jets this year..

Optimism is all well and good but reality will come crashing down. They should beat the Bucs and the Chargers but their road record is terrible. I thought they would beat the Bills simply because with the exception of the Patriots they usually split home and home games in the AFC east. I think they will play well against Carolina simply because they are home but win? Not too optimistic about that one. I think they will steal one game in the tough schedule they have upcoming. Be it Denver or New Orleans. Beating Carolina though? Anything can happen and if Jones doesn't drop that TD pass Carolina probably loses that game. The Jets are hard to predict and I agree that Carolina is a tough team to beat so I just don't see them winning but they do have a chance albeit a small one. Tough team to predict here. I am on the fence. My heart tells me they can go at least 8-8 but my head tells me 7-9 at best. Time will tell.

5 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Optimism is all well and good but reality will come crashing down. They should beat the Bucs and the Chargers but their road record is terrible. I thought they would beat the Bills simply because with the exception of the Patriots they usually split home and home games in the AFC east. I think they will play well against Carolina simply because they are home but win? Not too optimistic about that one. I think they will steal one game in the tough schedule they have upcoming. Be it Denver or New Orleans. Beating Carolina though? Anything can happen and if Jones doesn't drop that TD pass Carolina probably loses that game. The Jets are hard to predict and I agree that Carolina is a tough team to beat so I just don't see them winning but they do have a chance albeit a small one. Tough team to predict here. I am on the fence. My heart tells me they can go at least 8-8 but my head tells me 7-9 at best. Time will tell.

We almost beat the Patriots last time we played them this team is playing good football theres no reason they cant win all the remaining games the Chiefs aren't that good. 

42 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

I didn't say we WOULD win, but they will have a chance in the Carolina game since it is at home.

Realistically you can say any game can be win. But odds of winning this game is akin to you getting a date with Reese Witherspoon - no chance in hell - it aint happenin.

10 minutes ago, BigO said:

Realistically you can say any game can be win. But odds of winning this game is akin to you getting a date with Reese Witherspoon - no chance in hell - it aint happenin.

That's what the experts said about the jets winning more than 2 games this year and here they are with 4 already. It definitely is a possibility. 

1. I don't think this team reaches 500. They had a good game against Buffalo after some close losses so we're feeling ourselves at the moment. And there are a few games I can feasibly see the Jets winning. But that's so far from meaning they WILL its hard to describe. The Jets are a very inconsistent team, a far cry from being the league's worst but not really an honest playoff contender either. 

2. Even if they did I don't think a 500. record does it. The Jets would have to have the tie break advantage over quite a few other teams more than likely. 9 could pull it off as there's less of a chance of a logjam of tiebreakers, although I'm pretty sure we'd have to hope the Jaguars (who they have a tiebreaker over) are in the equation as well as a team with a worse conference record than the Jets have.

10 SHOULD do it this time but that's a freaking tall order.

8 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

That's what the experts said about the jets winning more than 2 games this year and here they are with 4 already. It definitely is a possibility. 

4-5  two of the those wins they played lousy and were spared by the opponents who played even lousier. The other two (Fins and Bills) were totally flat.  Not exactly a huge vote in confidence.  Can you win Lotto? Sure 1 in 175 million chance. 

58 minutes ago, BigO said:

4-5  two of the those wins they played lousy and were spared by the opponents who played even lousier. The other two (Fins and Bills) were totally flat.  Not exactly a huge vote in confidence.  Can you win Lotto? Sure 1 in 175 million chance. 

Again, making excuses for wins. 

12 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Again, making excuses for wins. 

The only thing this season will accomplish is prolonging the inevitable of Mac and Cheese ? ultimately getting fired.  Next year will be a repeat of this crummy season cloned by yet another season of McCown leading the way to mediocrity squared. Not making excuses, just keeping it real. 

Archived