Kapernick: a way out

Bugg

If Seattle didn’t sign him, nobody is gonna sign him. Goodell banked on this whole thing blowing over after a couple of news cycles, then the orange golf pro with the 33% approval rating turned it into media armageddon and it’ll end up costing the league tens of millions, which is hysterical when you consider where most of the owners appear on the FEC reports. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Ratings were dropping for the league long before Colin Kaepernick took a knee.  

Yep if anything it lit a fire into the players ?who are seen as nothing more than guns for hire for these rich plantation owners. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The NFL has a bunch of problems. Kneeling for the anthem obviously isnt going to help matters.

But it might help the guy whose about to get his head split open by some scumbag cop who thinks he’s above the law. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

take a breather man

Yea let’s keep it real nice and white. The worm ? has turned. The resistance is growing stronger. We ain’t going back to 1960 now matter how much they try. And Woody can keep his azz in England and never come back. 

7 minutes ago, BigO said:

He’d be the starter in this team and numerous others - in other words COLLUSION 

He wouldn't be the starter on this team. Every team has different situations that dictate who they bring in and why. The Jets for example, wanted a mentor for the young QBs. That's not Kaepernick, and he's not worth bringing in hear to win 5-7 games with. Plenty of other teams probably feel the same way. It doesn't mean collusion. 

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Do you honestly believe there wasn't collusion? or are you just playing devils advocate 

I completely side with and understand Kaep’s cause.  It’s mindboggling to me that you could ask 90% or more of our black population and they would all tell you there is an issue and yet the response is to vilify the protest instead of addressing the cause of it. You don’t want black players to kneel?  Start working towards solutions.  But i digress.

The question is whether there is truly collusion, as in the owners got together and made a pact that no team will sign him.  I find that extremely hard to believe and even harder to prove.  What’s far more likely is the Tebow effect.  Kaepernick is not that good.  He’s better than many guys in the league, but still not all that good.  But just like Tebow, He’s not worth the circus that follows.  That’s why he hasn’t been signed.  

4 minutes ago, BigO said:

But it might help the guy whose about to get his head split open by some scumbag cop who thinks he’s above the law. 

I think the positive of this is that we’re now having conversations about police brutality and race relations where before we weren’t, at least not with any sort of sustained interest or intensity. 

The downside is that nobody is really equipped to talk about race in any sort of coherent or productive way so it becomes uncomfortable at best and combative at worst. I think the far majority of people in this country simultaneously hold these views 1. Extrajudicial murder is bad; 2. Racism is bad; 3. But, let me not think at length about societal/racial inequity ever, but particularly for three hours on Sunday when I get to check out from the world and watch my sh*t team get leveled by the Pats.

11 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He wouldn't be the starter on this team. Every team has different situations that dictate who they bring in and why. The Jets for example, wanted a mentor for the young QBs. That's not Kaepernick, and he's not worth bringing in hear to win 5-7 games with. Plenty of other teams probably feel the same way. It doesn't mean collusion. 

Haaaaaa mentor my ass. McCown is a mentor for these two who won’t ever see the light of day lol. Ok ? Barely  played a down in the preseason and was instantly named the starter. They won’t even put either of these two in when we blowing out our opponent. Watch out if someone wants to sell you a bridge!

9 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I completely side with and understand Kaep’s cause.  It’s mindboggling to me that you could ask 90% or more of our black population and they would all tell you there is an issue and yet the response is to vilify the protest instead of addressing the cause of it. You don’t want black players to kneel?  Start working towards solutions.  But i digress.

The question is whether there is truly collusion, as in the owners got together and made a pact that no team will sign him.  I find that extremely hard to believe and even harder to prove.  What’s far more likely is the Tebow effect.  Kaepernick is not that good.  He’s better than many guys in the league, but still not all that good.  But just like Tebow, He’s not worth the circus that follows.  That’s why he hasn’t been signed.  

Genoa Smith is the back up QB on the Giants. Enuf said. 

8 minutes ago, BigO said:

Genoa Smith is the back up QB on the Giants. Enuf said. 

Well, it could be because Geno was willing to sign for about 900K.

Was Kap going to sign for that much?  Is he better than other QB's in the league?  Yup.   Is he better for the headaches he brings, and the money he was originally asking for?   Debatable.

53 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why should the players worry about that?  And what can they do about it anyways?  It's the league that needs to adjust, not the players.  The players are the product.  

They are doing a great job with be protesting and less practice, working like a charm! ?

45 minutes ago, BigO said:

Yea let’s keep it real nice and white. The worm ? has turned. The resistance is growing stronger. We ain’t going back to 1960 now matter how much they try. And Woody can keep his azz in England and never come back. 

By resistance, do you mean bloods and crypts?? 

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

But I guess paying over 6 mill to a 38 year old hasbeen is worth winning 5-7 games. As Spock says that’s not logical.

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I agree with buggs premise but goodell can do nothing here.  Kaep is toxic no matter what.  At best you will have a 50/50 fansplit and even then he would have to play great.  If he did not play great things would get ugly.

It's gotten to the point of, you take him, no you take him, etc.  It all boils down to the same thing no one wants the headache.  Many fans have made it clear they will walk if teams embrace him.  He started something, it grew larger than him and now he's a victim of it.  Early on teams felt they could manage the situation, but now he's become the 3rd rail, no one wants to touch him.

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I believe his lawyers are getting access to e-mail/phone records from the Cowboys and Seahawks, and potentially other teams.  What those say will be telling one way or the other.

To be fair Kaepernick should submit his records too so they can see in writing what a fraud, hypocrite, and racist dirtbag he really is.

6 hours ago, BigO said:

I hope Kaeperdick gets arrested and he resists.  Would love to see a mugshot where he has two black eyes and a tooth missing.  Just something to add on to the bucket list.

8 hours ago, BigO said:

But I guess paying over 6 mill to a 38 year old hasbeen is worth winning 5-7 games. As Spock says that’s not logical.

It's completely logical. They probably felt McCown was a better mentor to younger players, specifically at the QB position. Colin Kapernick is 30, McCown is 38, the Jets probably felt McCown was a much better choice to come in and mentor younger players and understand his role as opposed to Kaepernick who probably still see's himself as a long term starter.

Teams are allowed to pick the players they want for whatever reason. Kirk Cousins is going to be a FA this off season, does every team with a QB deemed not as good as Kirk have to offer him a contract because he's better than who they have?

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

70 % of the league are African Americans, and outside of military and several other professions, they put their brains and bodies on the line more than anybody else.  Sure, they get compensated well for it, but less than the MLB and NBA, and without guaranteed contracts. 

Yet the moment they decide to use their platform to talk about something bigger than sports, you've got Jerry Jones freaking out, and the Texans owner saying that the "prisoners can't run the asylum". 

The fact that common fans support the owners on this is baffling.  Everyone was up in arms about concussions, but on this issue?  "STFU and play" is the response. 

Sure, if there were a reasoned, articulate argument being made, sure. "**** your flag" just doesn't wash.

35 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

It's completely logical. They probably felt McCown was a better mentor to younger players, specifically at the QB position. Colin Kapernick is 30, McCown is 38, the Jets probably felt McCown was a much better choice to come in and mentor younger players and understand his role as opposed to Kaepernick who probably still see's himself as a long term starter.

Teams are allowed to pick the players they want for whatever reason. Kirk Cousins is going to be a FA this off season, does every team with a QB deemed not as good as Kirk have to offer him a contract because he's better than who they have?

Nonsense. ‘Mentors’ are nothing more than veteran back up QB’s like when Brunnel was here or Fitz.  Mac had no intention ever to have McCown play the role of a back up. He was strictly signed to be the starter from day one of signing the contract.  Fitz on the other hand was never really supposed to even see the field and was in essence a ‘mentor’ until of course Geno got knocked out. 

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

70 % of the league are African Americans, and outside of military and several other professions, they put their brains and bodies on the line more than anybody else.  Sure, they get compensated well for it, but less than the MLB and NBA, and without guaranteed contracts. 

Yet the moment they decide to use their platform to talk about something bigger than sports, you've got Jerry Jones freaking out, and the Texans owner saying that the "prisoners can't run the asylum". 

The fact that common fans support the owners on this is baffling.  Everyone was up in arms about concussions, but on this issue?  "STFU and play" is the response. 

Is it THO? 

14 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

While kneeling was part of his baggage everyone is losing sight of the fact that the man was benched for his play. He was then beaten out for the starting job way before he even thought of taking that famous knee. Lets not lose sight of the fact that Kaepernick was not singled out for his "protest" and even played some after it. He was not benched for it nor was he released for it. When was the last time he played on the pro level? He hasn't played in an NFL game for what 2 years? Even if a team did sign him the season is past the  half way point. The time it would take him to get in football shape,learn a new offense and contribute meaningfully would take too long. Maybe in the off-season he gets a shot but now? No.

Not true. He was injured and was not at full speed.  The team was dismantled after Harbugh was kicked out. Any QB is going to suck without protection or a decent supporting cast.  Kap was a blown PI away from winning a SB. I wonder if he did win how he’d be perceived.  He’d probably be able to run for mayor. 

Archived