Saturday College Gameday Thread - Nov 18

Lith

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Actually the Giants may be a better place to go for either of these guys. For the Jets the pressure would be to start right away. For the Giants they get to sit for at least a year. And neither of these QBs look like plug and play guys

You know who's plug and play?

Alex Smith.

Josh McCown.

#jetuppbaby

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Darnold definitely not but is Rosen up to, what, 30 attempts or some sh*t?  He's literally that entire team.  I can't kill him too much for playing hero ball.

I guess. Gun to my head I think I'd take Rosen, primarily because of the extra year, but neither is all that impressive. Frankly, I'm not seeing this year's QB class being better than last year's.

Darnold reminds me of Jameis Winston.  He's good.  Everyone knew he was good from very early.  They played in Pro Style systems.  So the hype train got going early. 

And then as they progress through college, they start showing some sketchy decision making.  They still have those plays and extended stretches where they look like they are a slam dunk.  But then they keep making the same dumb decisions more often than they should.

All that aside, he's still very good and ultimately will go #1 overall eventually(most likely) and it's not a reach by any stretch that he should, but just like Jameis, something tells me Darnold will just always be not quite the answer.  

Both still have time to grow out of the issues they have, but i just don't trust either of them to be a truly elite guy.

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Because football is the last sport that should be complaining about cocky athletes and if a crotch grab bothers people that much they have a myriad of issues to work out.

Kansas poked this bear, got exactly what they deserved, and it's been fun to watch.

Last dickhead QB to not suck in the pros?

29 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Last dickhead QB to not suck in the pros?

Phillip Rivers?

Big Ben?

Jay Cutler?

Cam Newton?

Jameis Winston, as much as I love him, is/was a f*cking idiot/jerk-off in college.

Even if he's was the only a**hole to ever come out, the failure of others has nothing to do with his ability to play or his chances of success.

Kansas deserved every bit of that crotch grab too.

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

If I was a GM, I'm taking Rosen before Darnold.

I continue to push my QB draft theory:

1)  Grade them by round.  

2)  If you are picking in rounds 1 and 2 and there is a round 1 or 2 graded QB better than your starter, draft him.

3)  Repeat for backups.

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I guess. Gun to my head I think I'd take Rosen, primarily because of the extra year, but neither is all that impressive. Frankly, I'm not seeing this year's QB class being better than last year's.

I believed going into this season that Rosen was gonna rise to the top.  At this point it's fair to say that he's far ahead of Sam in his development.  He finishes now 33/52 420+ 3 TDs 1 INT.  I really think he's gonna be really special.  He hasn't turned the ball over much, has been insanely productive, all while carrying a mediocre UCLA team, and throwing the ball 50+ times on more than one occasion.  Deshaun threw 17 picks last year on a loaded Clemson team and ended up being fine so I'm just not too concerned with Rosen's game translating.  Josh has so much in terms of mental and physical ability that I believe he's going to be right there with Deshaun as a top young gunslinger in the NFL, so when trying to compare the two classes I see it this way:

If Rosen lives up to his hype like Watson did, you have one "top gun" from each class and you have to really focus on the other guys to compare them as a whole.  I don't know how you feel but in my eyes it's Mayfield, Darnold, Jackson, Rudolph > Trubisky, Mahomes, Kizer, Beathard by a significant margin.

Even with Watson proving that he was the real deal, the rest of that group was so damn bad.

3 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I'd be stoked with either. But Darnold just looks like a physical specimen, and that release is lightning quick. I know people are souring on him for his play this year, but I think he's going to be a stud

To each their own.  I respectfully disagree.  I think physically, Darnold is not anything overwhelming.  Ok arm strength, loopy release.  

I honestly think trying to project QBs is a pretty impossible deal anymore.  I think a lot of the success falls on coaching more than anything these days.

I am not going to say that Mac needs to take a QB no matter what in the first round.

Before the draft, most were convinced that Watson was not that accurate and did not have that strong of an arm.  Both of those may be true, but the Texans used his strengths.  Many also thoght that Mahomes as a project at pro QB, but he looked pretty good in preseason.

We have also seen an interesting article lately that describes how the Jets are incorporating spread concepts into their offense.  

So, based on what I know now, Mahomes and Watson were improvements to the Jets roster last draft, and it would appear to me that Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold (and counting) would be an improvement this year.  Let's see what pops up.

Kiper already as the FSU safety in his top 5-since the Jets will not be doing that I hope, let's see if anyone else falls into that trap.  My guess is that they don't

I have watched several games of the top QBs. Lamar Jackson is better than Rosen and Darnold. He does everything Baker does but at a much higher level. Zero off field issues. Works hard. Super productive. Yes he needs some coaching but I think you can plug him in day 1. I really don' understand why he is not the concensus #1

59 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I have watched several games of the top QBs. Lamar Jackson is better than Rosen and Darnold. He does everything Baker does but at a much higher level. Zero off field issues. Works hard. Super productive. Yes he needs some coaching but I think you can plug him in day 1. I really don' understand why he is not the concensus #1

He's Mick Vick, he's terrible at throwing the ball accurately. He runs about and will get himself killed in the NFL. It's a hard pass for me. He's no way going to have the same career has Rosen or Darnold in the Pro's.  

50 minutes ago, King P said:

Rosen is gonna be a star in the pros. 

It's a damn shame we won't be getting him smh

Agreed and the UCLA V USC game confirms what I thought. Rosen over Darnold. Both go top two!

Jets fans need to stop tormenting themselfs, we arnt going to Draft either. They will go 1 & 2, and the two teams in 1& 2 postion will Not trade out, no matter what you offer them. 

Personally ive been on Baker "crotch grab" Mayfield train for a while.

Archived