Colin Cowherd: Cousins should avoid Jets

Patriot Killa

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

the dysfunctional culture has nothing to do with the players and everything to do with the easy-peasy, anything goes atmosphere that BOTH Rex AND Bowles promote.  Same for Herm Edwards.  Nobody criticized the culture under Parcells, did they?  At least not often enough to even remember.  Culture has everything to do with management.  New players won't change the culture.  That requires new management.  And of a different personality than jumping from one incompetent HC  to another.

Pretty sure a rookie QB who starts getting this team wins would change things. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MDL_JET said:

Pretty sure a rookie QB who starts getting this team wins would change things. 

temporarily.  But with Bowles still around, the culture will indeed revert to the loosey-goosey summer camp that it has been since Rex.

Just now, Dcat said:

It was implied that NY would be an inappropriate landing spot based on Cousins devotion to religion.  It's silly.

That would only be if he did dumb crap like Tebow.  Who gave speeches at very anti-gay churches.

But supposedly Cousins takes a more PC tone on things.

17 minutes ago, Dcat said:

the dysfunctional culture has nothing to do with the players and everything to do with the easy-peasy, anything goes atmosphere that BOTH Rex AND Bowles promote.  Same for Herm Edwards.  Nobody criticized the culture under Parcells, did they?  At least not often enough to even remember.  Culture has everything to do with management.  New players won't change the culture.  That requires new management.  And of a different personality than jumping from one incompetent HC  to another.

disagree. We haven't been a respectable franchise in decades and it's not just because of coaching. A quick turnaround via Cousins does not shed that stink IMO

30 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

There are plenty of religious folks here.  Why is that a worry?

Hey man, I completely understand why you want a rookie QB. I really do. Because I’ve been on the fence with this situation since the very beginning. 

It just seems like you are shunning the blatant sense of incompetence and the obvious manner in which this all transpired in order to further self validate your opinion. If you would rather a rook .. that’s fine. Hell, I like a few of em’ too. But that doesn’t mean you should not believe what’s going on....unless you just truly don’t believe it. Idk. It just seems pretty clear from the jump and became even clearer when I spoke to knowledgeable sources...but at the end of the day even though sources won’t always be 100% on the dot. So I do take that into consideration. But enough of it is there to piece together the pure idiocy of Snyder. I mean, Skin fans really hate this man with everything in them.

He is their Woody Johnson. They want to return to Superbowls and playoff dominance as they did in the late 80’s and early 90’s. They loved Cousins and he gave them a reason to. Incompetence ruined the entire thing and Cousins grew tired of the FO. That gives off the notion he would grow tired with any ‘unstable’ FO. Here’s where I differ, negotiations and general team functions really differ all together as far as quality goes. Every GM has their strengths and weaknesses. Mac sucks at a ton of things. But he one thing he can do is work the waiver wire and he can trade well. His contracts have been so/so and his drafting has been shaky.(you can using whatever other word you want to use here and it wouldn’t be far off.) but I believe he can half way draft and buy a decent bunch of players to go along with our already decent building blocks of youth to make a good team. in Snyder’s case he literally has taken anything weapon the guy could of benefited from after the very first franchise tag in an attempt to win a ‘bet’ with Kirk Cousins that he is worth the amount of money that Snyder says he is worth. Cousins out performs the price and here we are again at the neogating table...Snyder low balls him again even after performing the way he did. That’s the difference. His ego and need to be right, destroyed so much. Scot McClouglin was probably sauced up during the first contract attempt and the guy that step in his place(the assistant GM) was even more crazy than the drunkard...and he was SOBER!

Thats just how I interpreted this from everything I have heard. So no. This situation is actually quite rare and I understand why one would be skeptical.. this isn’t something to be so, so skeptical about though.

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

disagree. We haven't been a respectable franchise in decades and it's just because of coaching. A quick turnaround via Cousins does not shed that stink IMO

then we agree.  Neither Cousins nor any player (s) will change the terrible culture.  That's on Management, including ownership, front office and coaching staff, mainly HC.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

then we agree.  Neither Cousins nor any player (s) will change the terrible culture.  That's on Management, including ownership, front office and coaching staff, mainly HC.

typo on my part. Not just because of coaching. Because of management, because of years of bad drafting and because the Giants have routinely exceeded us. We suck. We have to own that. It's not a quick fix. 

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

then we agree.  Neither Cousins nor any player (s) will change the terriboe culture.  That's on Management, including ownership, front office and coaching staff.

i disagree.  you bring in the right qb, you start winning, your defense looks good, then all of a sudden you're perceived differently.

guys like jamal adams and josh mccown don't change cultures and that's where mccagnan's wrong.  you need a face of the franchise, someone with a personality, like mayfield or rosen.  bring in an offensive weapon with flair or personality who doesn't flake out like obj.  this team has had no offensive identity since curtis martin and that's the real issue.  they keep trying to find the guy who will become the identity on defense but besides revis who was the most selfish player ever, the best defensive player the jets have had since parcells came was john abraham.  

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Hey man, I completely understand...

Thanks.  I'm a little less skeptical now.  But there still is some.

Regardless, even if there is no underlying reason to be skeptical of Kirk, he's still the 7th best option imo when 30mil a year is factored in.

Give me the 6 top rookies for cheap for 5 years over 150mil+ for Cousins.

I'll say again though, all 7 of those options are at least very good.  And I'm happy with any of 'em.

Now if they give Kirk 180 million fully guaranteed over 6 years, I'll be pissed.

7 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Thanks.  I'm a little less skeptical now.  But there still is some.

Regardless, even if there is no underlying reason to be skeptical of Kirk, he's still the 7th best option imo when 30mil a year is factored in.

Give me the 6 top rookies for cheap for 5 years over 150mil+ for Cousins.

I'll say again though, all 7 of those options are at least very good.  And I'm happy with any of 'em.

Now if they give Kirk 180 million fully guaranteed over 6 years, I'll be pissed.

This is where I’d probably be upset too. 180? Nooo! That’s basically bidding against yourself at that point. If you don’t want to play the bidding game w/ other franchises and want to offer a monster deal to seal it all right then and there...okay...I can live with it..but in no way is 180 million okay in any situation haha.

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

typo on my part. Not just because of coaching. Because of management, because of years of bad drafting and because the Giants have routinely exceeded us. We suck. We have to own that. It's not a quick fix. 

I'm all for the rookie route. But why can't Cousins give you that change as well? He'd be here playing good football for about 5-6 years. Rookie or not, they have to support them with better players on offense. 

I just for once want to see them get it right on the offensive side. For fuk sake take the RB we all want. Draft the Center that's a lay up pick. This isn't hard Mac!

If I'm Cousins:

1.  Jacksonville.  Great team and Couglin.

2. Minnesota.  Similar to Jacksonville, but f-in' cold!  Regularly have -40 wind chills.  I'd shoot myself knowing I could have been in FL instead.

3.  Denver.  Good team getting old fast.  But Elway helps.

4.  Cleveland.  Insane money and draft picks.  Plus no need to really practice.  Now that Gordon is back, just throw it up and he'll make me look great.

6 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I'm all for the rookie route. But why can't Cousins give you that change as well? He'd be here playing good football for about 5-6 years. Rookie or not, they have to support them with better players on offense. 

I just for once want to see them get it right on the offensive side. For fuk sake take the RB we all want. Draft the Center that's a lay up pick. This isn't hard Mac!

there's just something about a hired gun that doesn't yield the same long term respect. It's like saying ok, so the best we could do on our own was fcking hackenberg so we have to pay someone to "temporarily" elevate us. 

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

there's just something about a hired gun that doesn't yield the same long term respect. It's like saying ok, so the best we could do on our own was fcking hackenberg so we have to pay someone to "temporarily" elevate us. 

Who cares? If he comes in and starts winning I doubt fans will really care that we didn't do it on our own. Isn't that what the Saints essentially did? They were nothing before Brees and Payton got there. This isn't the Favre situation. 

Translation:

"I'm west coast guy Colin Cowherd. I couldn't name 2 players on the Jets but I LOVE the Patriots because they're the best and I want to suck Bradys cock.....

Anyway. Kirk Cousins is a devout Christian and everybody knows that New York is pretty much all Jewish, Athiest, or Foreigners so he won't really fit in there because, well, I watch a lot of Sitcoms and stuff and NOBODY in the New York area are devout Christians. Plus, well, Kirk is white and probably conservative so his teammates dont like him, either.. He should just go somewhere down south...or maybe to the Midwest"

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Translation:

"I'm west coast guy Colin Cowherd. I couldn't name 2 players on the Jets but I LOVE the Patriots because they're the best and I want to suck Bradys cock.....

Anyway. Kirk Cousins is a devout Christian and everybody knows that New York is pretty much all Jewish, Athiest, or Foreigners so he won't really fit in there because, well, I watch a lot of Sitcoms and stuff and NOBODY in the New York area are devout Christians. Plus, well, Kirk is white and probably conservative so his teammates dont like him, either.. He should just go somewhere down south...or maybe to the Midwest"

Does that mean we should draft Josh Rosen because he is Jewish?

12 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Who cares? If he comes in and starts winning I doubt fans will really care that we didn't do it on our own. Isn't that what the Saints essentially did? They were nothing before Brees and Payton got there. This isn't the Favre situation. 

I care. 

The Brees argument is a good one. Hard to poke holes in that. That's a tall order and a lot happened for all that to come together. Coaching was obviously a big part of that. 

3 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Most free agents land with the team that offers the most money.  

We’ve got a realistic shot. 

Most free agents just didn't just make 45 million in the last two years. He will go to a better team for a touch less money and a chance to win. I think stability will trump money to a point with him.

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Most free agents just didn't just make 45 million in the last two years. He will go to a better team for a touch less money and a chance to win. I think stability will trump money to a point with him.

I'm still going with the notion that he wants to take this team to the next level and not just take on the pressure of winning with a two year window and fade out. 

Bates and Cousins will be an incredible duo lifting the whole team. 

Don't wake me up.

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

agreed !.. that's why i think he's gonna end up in denver   B)

:wine:

Honestly, If I were Cousins I would want to go to Jax. Great weather, no state tax, great golf and beaches....team with an excellent young Defense, good pieces on Offense....and ZERO legacy to compete with. That fan base would worship him if he was a winner there and would totally forget about Brunell (their best QB in tge history of that young franchise). I would just demand that they fix that awful, amateurish helmet.

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Fair point on the 45 mil; it’s not his first taste of big money.  

But like you said “to a point” - is 30 million more guaranteed that point? 

He calls us an unstable franchise but our unstableness revolves around the QB position.  Our bad seasons correlate to bad QB play.  

Teams like the NYGs have crappy seasons every other year and they have had the same starter for 14 years.

Once we solve the position, we will be consistently good.  

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I'm still going with the notion that he wants to take this team to the next level and not just take on the pressure of winning with a two year window and fade out. 

Bates and Cousins will be an incredible duo lifting the whole team. 

Don't wake me up.

I like this way of thinking. Few more thousand calories and I might be able to get there. I do agree he wants to help lift a franchise. Not sure all the way up from a sewer in NY though.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Not only this, didn’t Favre’s arm fall off with 6 whole games left to play? We were 8-3 and just beat the undefeated Titans. It’s not just like the guy failed here because we are unstable or we suck. He f*cking won a SINGLE GAME out of the remaining 6 games. How do you only have 3 losses 10 games in and wind up 9-7 lmao? Did he just want to disregard that fact so the rest will justify his point? Vikings were nothing special don’t get me started. They had AP and that was IT for a very long time until recently.

Is Cowherd going to ignore the fact Favre has ALSO been tagged as a gun slinger his entire career and someone who throws a lot of TD’s and INTs all together?

Agree with this.   The article makes a strong point that I also don't necessarily disagree with, however using the Favre situation as support for his point makes him lose a lot of credibility.   The stability of the franchise had very little/nothing to do with the way the Favre year developed or ended....At 8-3 they were the fashionable pick to go to the Super Bowl.

3 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Fair point on the 45 mil; it’s not his first taste of big money.  

But like you said “to a point” - is 30 million more guaranteed that point? 

That I cant say but I think he already has the number in his head. Doesn't seem to be Revis greedy. Who knows? Maybe? Hopefully? Hard to say.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Well I think he is correct re stable as we have very suspect ownership but a lot of the other teams he is saying he should go to were not stable until suddenly they became stable.

winning breeds stability.   Unfortunately stupidity breeds instability.

Archived