JETS TRADE UP TO THREE MAC DADDY IS A PIMP

T0mShane

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Buuuut, Rosen already has significant concussion issues, and he’s still going to get hit in the head. He also had shoulder surgery and was perpetually injured during his UCLA career. I’m not sure I’d bet a nickel that he lasts in the NFL any longer than Watson or Lamar. 

I'm not sure if this plays a factor in the reason but there were multiple games where Rosen had 45-60 pass attempts.  He dropped back a lot.  If the pick were Rosen I would hope that Bridgewater starts and plays the whole season and Rosen gets plugged in the following season which'll mean he's two years removed from taking hits.

Also Rodgers has had multiple injuries throughout his career including concussions.  If the league were to do a redraft I think Rodgers still gets picked # 1 despite the past concussions.  At first I was worried about Rosen and his injury history but I think he'd be fine.  Who knows though..

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You see, this is the thing too. If they draft Mayfield (or Allen) the pressure to play either will be intense, and there’s noooooo chance that Todd bumps the rookie over both McCown and Bridgewater. Point being, there’s still potential here to have your cake (etc) if you want a young QB —AND—you want regime change. The team, as currently constituted, is going to win six games or less with an expensive rookie stapled to the bench. Much potential for a train wreck.

Lose/lose for the Jets. Win/win for you. Order restored

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Agree on both counts. This trade-up doesn’t mean that Maccagnan is a better GM than he was two days ago, but at worst it’s a little bit of fan service. At best, it results in a good QB

This trade was absolutely done in part to please the fans. There was a cloud of doubt and pessimism hanging over the heads of Macc and the Johnson's. With the exception of giving 10 million to a QB whose career year yielded 5 wins, the off-season has given fans a reason to be excited about the future. When the team is selling tickets for $45 a game without having to buy a PSL, you better F*CKING do something. 

52 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1BE0A027-FF14-4910-9F1A-0FB83652EC52.jpeg

haha touche

Rosen is probably the best passer in this draft and the smartest of the bunch as well, but he has said all kinds of stuff that while its logical and might be true (college athlete discussion, some social issues), just STFU and keep it to yourself man. He runs his mouth because he thinks he's so important (arrogance).

Teams do not want a media circus stemming from a players comments. I wouldn't touch this guy in the draft. 

Just now, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

You guys are never wrong about anything. Baker Mayfield could go Billy Cole on national television and then it's right on to the next thing it's too soon to be sure about.

Not sure who "you guys" are, but ok. If you like compartmentalizing.

And I am wrong plenty. That is why I mainly stay out of the predicting/prospecting business.

20 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Right off the bat there is of course the possibility that Rosen and Darnold go 1/2. You know, like they're supposed to. This line about how Cleveland has to take Barkley 1 and be happy with their third choice at quarterback at 4 because otherwise the Giants go Barkley 2 is particularly convenient and absurd.

It depends on whether Mayfield is "their guy".  I doubt it, but you never know.  It is Cleveland, after all. 

12 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

This trade was absolutely done in part to please the fans. There was a cloud of doubt and pessimism hanging over the heads of Macc and the Johnson's. With the exception of giving 10 million to a QB whose career year yielded 5 wins, the off-season has given fans a reason to be excited about the future. When the team is selling tickets for $45 a game without having to buy a PSL, you better F*CKING do something. 

Agree with this. Rolling into the season with McCown as the starter and whatever defensive back they were going to draft at 6 would have been cataclysmic from a marketability standpoint. 

11 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, no way Rosen is willing to go to Buffalo, right?  At this point, he can start looking for apartments in the city, regardless.

This is actually an excellent point I hadn't thought about.  Odds are the Bills are going to offer a Kings ransom for #2.  I just have a hard time seeing Rosen happy in Buffalo.  He's the type guy that might make a stink about it.  This could get interesting.  

25 minutes ago, Barton said:

haha touche

Rosen is probably the best passer in this draft and the smartest of the bunch as well, but he has said all kinds of stuff that while its logical and might be true (college athlete discussion, some social issues), just STFU and keep it to yourself man. He runs his mouth because he thinks he's so important (arrogance).

Teams do not want a media circus stemming from a players comments. I wouldn't touch this guy in the draft. 

I think we have reached a point in time where players are no longer keeping it to themselves, however, and judging by the NBA ratings vs those of all other sports, people don’t really mind. 

21 hours ago, sourceworx said:

He made this trade after going to Mayfield and Rosen's pro days. That makes me think they're targeting either of those two.

that's one possibility.  The other is that he found both Mayfield and Rosen to be good candidates, each worthy of a #3 pick in the event one of them is there.  But it also leaves open the possibility that Darnold and/or Allen are still higher priorities (even though they haven't yet had their Pro Days) and that trading to 3 was just to insure that they get one of these 4.  It does NOT prove that Rosen/Mayfield have shot up their board above Darnold and/or Allen.  Everyone who is thinking that is making a grievous assumption.  All the trade up means is that the Jets will be content with any one of their top 3 QB choices. 

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think we have reached a point in time where players are no longer keeping it to themselves, however, and judging by the NBA ratings vs those of all other sports, people don’t really mind. 

Fair point. But we have also seen some backlash from fans towards the NFL and a ratings dip. I dont know if comparing the NBA to the NFL in this context is completely relative.

Put yourself in the shoes of this GM - you gonna take this guy, with a slight build, an extensive injury/concussion history, isnt mobile AND runs his mouth - and put him in NYC with Todd freakin Bowles to coach him? It's so crazy it could work. But if I am a GM, i'm looking elsewhere. JMO.

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You’d have to think if Rosen drops to 3, someone will show Woody a spreadsheet of how much Rosen would be worth to the franchise and Woody joins Antifa on the spot.

which QB will sell more tickets in the NY-NJ Metropolitan area?

Mazel Tov.

1 minute ago, Barton said:

Fair point. But we have also seen some backlash from fans towards the NFL and a ratings dip. I dont know if comparing the NBA to the NFL in this context is completely relative.

Put yourself in the shoes of this GM - you gonna take this guy, with a slight build, an extensive injury/concussion history, isnt mobile AND runs his mouth - and put him in NYC with Todd freakin Bowles to coach him? It's so crazy it could work. But if I am a GM, i'm looking elsewhere. JMO.

That’s why I think Rosen is a better fit with the Giants. It’s an established franchise owned by a huge Demo donor that can withstand one or two players being opinionated. The Jets, by contrast, have no leadership base and were most recently taken captive by the whims of Ryan Fitzpatrick. Plus, the Giants are Manhattan’s team and their fan base is more upscale, by a lot. I could see a lot of the Jets unwashed Suffolk County demo getting up in their feelings about it, but that’s only because they’re walking trolls.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

That’s why I think Rosen is a better fit with the Giants. It’s an established franchise owned by a huge Demo donor that can withstand one or two players being opinionated. The Jets, by contrast, have no leadership base and were most recently taken captive by the whims of Ryan Fitzpatrick. Plus, the Giants are Manhattan’s team and their fan base is more upscale, by a lot. I could see a lot of the Jets unwashed Suffolk County demo getting up in their feelings about it, but that’s only because they’re walking trolls.

While I don’t know Woody personally, he has always struck me as the kid that throws his controller and yells that the buttons aren’t working when he’s getting creamed in NBA Jam. There’s no way in hell he’s swallowing his pride and letting Rosen happen. 

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

which QB will sell more tickets in the NY-NJ Metropolitan area?

Mazel Tov.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

BECAUSE THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT CAN AFFORD TICKETS

It would be amazingly naive to think that potential to increase ticket sales immediately is not one of the major factors in Woody influencing this decision.  Have we forgotten the Woody love for Tim Tebow?  He was brought in for one purpose alone: to sell tickets and, at that time, PSLs.  

The reason for the trade is obvious and it comes down to three things.  First, the Jet FO realizes that they need to draft a QB in this year's QB rich draft.  It is also based on there being 4 QBs that are sure fire early first round picks - Darnold, Rosed, Mayfield, and Allen. Second, it was quite possible that at 6, the Jets would not have an opportunity to draft any of the four. Buffalo was obviously loading up for a trade into the top 4.  That means that QBs could have gone to Cleveland, NYG, Buffalo and Denver, leaving the Jets with none of the four. Third, Mac must be happy with at least 3 of the top 4 QBs to move to pick 3, assuring that the Jets draft one of these three QBs.  So the trade was made so the Jets can guarantee they have a shot to pick one of the top three QBs in the draft and avoids losing the game of QB musical chairs with no QB left at 6.  

I too hope that the Jets #2 or #3 QB of the four is not Allen.  I would be happy with Mayfield at #3 compared to being shut out.  There is no guarantee any of the four would be there at 6.  I would be happier if the Giants take Barkley at 2 and the Jets get Rosen or Darnold at 3, depending on what Cleveland does at 1 (Allen or Darnold).  If Allen is the Jets pick at 3, I just hope the FO knows more about QBs than I do.  And we have to pull for him. None of this BS about wanting to be right instead of wanting the Jets FO to have made the right decision.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

It would be amazingly naive to think that potential to increase ticket sales immediately is not one of the major factors in Woody influencing this decision.  Have we forgotten the Woody love for Tim Tebow?  He was brought in for one purpose alone: to sell tickets and, at that time, PSLs.  

The upcharges in gifelte fish alone...

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

While I don’t know Woody personally, he has always struck me as the kid that throws his controller and yells that the buttons aren’t working when he’s getting creamed in NBA Jam. There’s no way in hell he’s swallowing his pride and letting Rosen happen. 

You know how a lot of people say they’ll be through with the Jets for this and that? If the Jets passed on Rosen, particularly because of Woody’s political feelings, I’d have to walk away for a while. I mean, that would be a red line.

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

The upcharges in giffelte fish alone...

Is Rosen reformed or conservative?  There are games on Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah when they fall on Sundays.  

For the unaware:

Reformed= Eat whatever you want and do whatever you want on Sabbath, we are still happy to have you in the congregation

Conservative = be sure to park your car far enough away from Temple so that no one else can see you drove to Shul.  

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

You know how a lot of people say they’ll be through with the Jets for this and that? If the Jets passed on Rosen, particularly because of Woody’s political feelings, I’d have to walk away for a while. I mean, that would be a red line.

Bah, you’re going nowhere. 

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Is Rosen reformed or conservative?  There are games on Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah when they fall on Sundays.  

For the unaware:

Reformed= Eat whatever you want and do whatever you want on Sabbath, we are still happy to have you in the congregation

Conservative = be sure to park your car far enough away from Temple so that no one else can see you drove to Shul.  

Not quite right.  Conservative still mostly drives to temple.  It's orthodox that doesn't drive on Shabbat.  Yom Kippur would still be an issue but I don't believe Rosen is even a practicing Jew.  His mother is not and he went to a Catholic high school so I'm going to say it won't be an issue.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets are projected to have $120 million in cap space next offseason, to boot.

And here's the shopping list (of course many will be franchised or resigned):

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2019/

There are some nice names on that list.  For example, that Josh McCown guy may be free in 2019 if he isn't franchise tagged...

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Rosen is a solid fit for the G-Men, I agree.

As much as I like this move by MacCag (dude takes too much heat on here IMO), it doesnt even matter which QB he takes as long as Bowles is here. Bowles is in way over his head. Right now MacCag needs to get his QB and immediately start planning for his 2019 roster and beyond, including hiring a real head coach. And I wouldnt start this QB for a single game this season either. 

Just now, Barton said:

As much as I like this move by MacCag (dude takes too much heat on here IMO), it doesnt even matter which QB he takes as long as Bowles is here. Bowles is in way over his head. Right now MacCag needs to get his QB and immediately start planning for his 2019 roster and beyond, including hiring a real head coach. And I wouldnt start this QB for a single game this season either. 

Which is why I think bowles hates this move on a few levels.  First, he'll have immense pressure to play a rookie qb sooner than later.  Second, and perhaps more damning to him, it fully aligns ownership with the gm rather than the hc.  If ownership implored mccagnan to get a franchise qb and then the gm trades up and gets him, it finally establishes who ownership would side with if one had to go.  And when bowles starts making mayfield or Rosen inactive, the johnsons are going to fire bowles during the year, my bold prediction.  

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

IMO, this is a fair critique, but it’s not nearly as incoherent as what the Eagles were doing just prior to trading up for Wentz.

When you put it that way...

I didn’t actually realize they gave up 3 2nd rounders. I thought it was only this years 2:

All still worth it if they hit. 

7 minutes ago, Barton said:

I do think that Bowles will be an issue with the new QB. Is he really going to bench McCown AND Teddy for a rookie? I just said in another thread, it’ll probably take Interim Head Coach Jeremy Bates to get a rookie in by mid-season.

Archived