JETS TRADE UP TO THREE MAC DADDY IS A PIMP

T0mShane

I don't understand the criticism of spending $15 million on backup QBs. They are one year deals and we're now drafting our QB of the future. Who cares?

Mahommes also hasn't played, although I have little doubt he'll be successful under Andy Reid who gets the most out of anyone. Passing on Watson was a mistake, loved him at the time.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I do think that Bowles will be an issue with the new QB. Is he really going to bench McCown AND Teddy for a rookie? I just said in another thread, it’ll probably take Interim Head Coach Jeremy Bates to get a rookie in by mid-season.

Where do I sign?

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets are projected to have $120 million in cap space next offseason, to boot.

Point taken. Those #s didn't include Leo, Williamson, SLong, Pennel contract #s tho..But obviously they'll have plenty of space to do what they want

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

IMO, this is a fair critique, but it’s not nearly as incoherent as what the Eagles were doing just prior to trading up for Wentz.

Watson and mahomes were the number 2 or 3 guys in their own class. Of course we wouldn’t have had to give up picks to get either one of them but at the time of that draft they were viewed as lesser prospects than the guys this year.  Too much hindsight in that observation.

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I do think that Bowles will be an issue with the new QB. Is he really going to bench McCown AND Teddy for a rookie? I just said in another thread, it’ll probably take Interim Head Coach Jeremy Bates to get a rookie in by mid-season.

What's the rush?  Play him when he's ready and won't get himself killed w/missed calls.  

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As long as it’s Teddy and not McCown. I’m fine with it. McCown should barely be taking any snaps. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

IMO, this is a fair critique, but it’s not nearly as incoherent as what the Eagles were doing just prior to trading up for Wentz.

Banner was also in the Cleveland FO when they drafted Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden, Barkevious Mingo, Leon McFadden in the 1st/2nd rounds..So he shouldn't be telling people what they should or shouldn't do. 

11 minutes ago, Persiussa said:

Watson and mahomes were the number 2 or 3 guys in their own class. Of course we wouldn’t have had to give up picks to get either one of them but at the time of that draft they were viewed as lesser prospects than the guys this year.  Too much hindsight in that observation.

It's more than just hidnsight...

Watson played 7 games and blew out his knee - for the second time - he was a serious injury risk and until he proves he can play 16 games - it was the right decision to pass on him.

Mahomes - he's thrown 35 passes! we're already annointing this guy?

We need to have a little perspective here.  

25 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't understand the criticism of spending $15 million on backup QBs. They are one year deals and we're now drafting our QB of the future. Who cares?

Mahommes also hasn't played, although I have little doubt he'll be successful under Andy Reid who gets the most out of anyone. Passing on Watson was a mistake, loved him at the time.

Foles is the 2nd back up to win SB and the Qb needs an Ol.

You know how a lot of people say they’ll be through with the Jets for this and that? If the Jets passed on Rosen, particularly because of Woody’s political feelings, I’d have to walk away for a while. I mean, that would be a red line.

Which is why I'm confused on all the celebrating...i.e. Jets could still take Allen who then ends up a bust and Rosen goes to Denver and wins a couple Super Bowls. 

9 hours ago, jetrider said:

The fact that Macc tried to move up to #1 means Darnold is in the mix.

The fact that Macc stockpiled backup JAGs (Bridgewater, McCown) means Rosen is in the mix knowing that backups will play a bigger role with an injury-prone starter.

And, of course, the fact that Macc wants the #1 could simply mean the Jets are clueless about who they want and need all options alive on April 26. 

According to reports there's a 93% chance this is the reason.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Not quite right.  Conservative still mostly drives to temple.  It's orthodox that doesn't drive on Shabbat.  Yom Kippur would still be an issue but I don't believe Rosen is even a practicing Jew.  His mother is not and he went to a Catholic high school so I'm going to say it won't be an issue.

I was just kidding around.  I grew up with a conservative family and a conservative synagogue (Forest Hills).  Driving to temple on high holies and sabbath was taboo in the early 1970's.  People would park blocks and blocks away (all the way to 67th ave sometimes) so not to be noticed.  My aunt and cousins, on the other hand, lived in a reformed house and they could pretty much bring ham & cheese sammwiches to their temple with them.

The Houston Texans have an opening behind Deshaun Watson on the quarterback depth chart. Right now the only other QB on the Texans is Taylor Heinicke and his one NFL pass attempt. Heinicke could very well win the job with a full offseason in the Texans system, but expect GM Brian Gaine to at least bring in competition.

A familiar name to both college football fans and Texans coach Bill O’Brien is now available: Christian Hackenberg. The former Penn State wunderkind played for a season under O’Brien with the Nittany Lions and achieved much of his considerable hype in that freshman season.

Hackenberg was a second-round pick of the New York Jets in 2016, but he’s proven to be a colossal bust thus far. Despite an ever-rotating carousel of career backups and late-round picks around him in New York, Hackenberg cannot earn any first-team reps.

Now the Jets appear to be ready to cut their losses. A major trade with the Indianapolis Colts positions the Jets to draft their next would-be franchise QB. They already brought back cagey veteran Josh McCown and signed former Vikings starter Teddy Bridgewater as an injury reclamation project.

There is no room for the disappointing Hackenberg, who couldn’t earn any playing time against the likes of Bryce Petty or Geno Smith.

Expect many in the media to connect the dots and posit a reunification between “Hack” and O’Brien in Houston.

Like this article?

Sign up for the Texans Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning

Our take

Just because he’s available and familiar with O’Brien doesn’t mean Hackenberg is a good fit in Houston. His inaccuracy, lack of pocket poise and inability to beat out the underwhelming competition in New York are not going to fix themselves simply by being reunited with the coach who coaxed something productive out of him five years ago. Hard pass.

20 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Which is why I'm confused on all the celebrating...i.e. Jets could still take Allen who then ends up a bust and Rosen goes to Denver and wins a couple Super Bowls. 

It would be very Jetsy and it totally could happen.  I know there has been a lot of talk about how the Jets love Mayfield and aren’t shy about it but it wouldn’t shock me if BigMac had Allen rated higher. 

They better be landing Rosen out of this, everything else would see like a let down for me but at least they’re making an actual effort.

You know how a lot of people say they’ll be through with the Jets for this and that? If the Jets passed on Rosen, particularly because of Woody’s political feelings, I’d have to walk away for a while. I mean, that would be a red line.

If this is the case then both Macc and Bowles should resign and go public so that the fans can boycott until Woody sells the team.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Bates very well could be the next head coach. I've thought about that for a few months now.

On 3/17/2018 at 12:10 PM, C Mart said:

JMO...I think they always have been thinking that...They (as a franchise) can't continue to pass up a 10 yr starter at QB by getting cute.

And they also just signed Hyde as proof

The Cleveland Browns had so much cap space, they could afford to drop $15 million on a draft smokescreen. But the signing of running back Carlos Hyde makes you wonder if that takes the Browns out of the Saquon Barkley mix.

Hyde agreed to a three-year, $15 million deal with the Browns, with $6 million coming in the first year according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. Even for a team with seemingly unlimited cap space, that’s starting running back money. And you don’t draft Barkley first overall to have him sit a year. Signing Hyde doesn’t necessarily mean the Browns won’t pick Barkley with the top pick. But it sure would seem to be a strange allocation of resources if that’s how it played out.

Hyde has $5 million guaranteed and will have a 2018 cap hit of only $3,166,000. If he is released after the 2018 season and before the 3rd day of the 2019 league year (that's when additional guarantees kick in), the dead money would be $2,333,000.  

No big deal if they want Barkley.  

3 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Foles is the 2nd back up to win SB and the Qb needs an Ol.

I'm not really sure what you're saying. I think McCown and Bridgewater as backups are as good as it gets in the short term.

Agreed we need a better o-line, and that's surely one of the drawbacks of this trade. I wish there were better OL options on the FA market.

3 hours ago, HessStation said:

I'd be very surprised if this happened. But yeah, if we traded up for Allen over Rosen that might be it for me.

17 hours ago, flgreen said:

I don't get why people are upset.  I don't know what else Macc could have done in this QB situation.

First he did everything he could to get Cousins signed.  Cousins wasn't coming to NYC.  Period

He had to trade up.  There are many scenarios that could have played out which could have ended badly for the Jets at 6.  Macc got a deal done that has them picking a QB at 3.  We'll see if he picks the right one or not.  Funny thing is, only thing we can be sure of, no matter who he picks we'll all be at one another's throats the day after the draft.  LOL 

what makes you think it will take that long?  :P

• People can disagree, but I don't believe that the Jets trading up to 3 will not change how the Giants approach the draft.   The Jets will not get the QB that the Giants pass over.
  • I don't see Dorsey taking Rosen.  The question is the Giants.  This is a business, and in as much as many Giant fans could like Rosen, they love Eli.  Passing over Barkley to take QB that could sit for a few years could create a ruckus.  I know this is different that what I have said before.
  • The Browns should trade with the Giants, give up some extra picks, and let the Browns like Barkley.  That makes the most sense for everyone.  The Giants can take Nelson or Allen (project) at 4.
  • If I am Mac I am letting Chris Johnson pick the QB.  Give him the files and a recommendation, and let him pick.  People know Mayfields' weaknesses, but I think they are supportive if the Jets pick him and would understand if he flops.  I think people also understand if Rosen gets hurt or quits.  But if Mac picks Allen, on his own, and turns out with Hack-like accuracy, he is done and never holds a GM job again.  Never.   
  • The Jets are running a WCO.  A team running an Ehrhardt offense could find a better use for Allen.  It is possible that Allen, like Hack, never functions in the Jets offense that they have decided to run.  Maybe they should have run the Patriots offense.
  • The premium the Jets traded to move up was less than what the Eagles and Bears paid on a percentage basis.  They are getting Rosen or Allen.  Maybe trade a third to move up to 2.  Not more.  Just take Mayfield or Rosen.  

2 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • People can disagree, but I don't believe that the Jets trading up to 3 will not change how the Giants approach the draft.   The Jets will not get the QB that the Giants pass over.
  • I don't see Dorsey taking Rosen.  The question is the Giants.  This is a business, and in as much as many Giant fans could like Rosen, they love Eli.  Passing over Barkley to take QB that could sit for a few years could create a ruckus.  I know this is different that what I have said before.
  • The Browns should trade with the Giants, give up some extra picks, and let the Browns like Barkley.  That makes the most sense for everyone.  The Giants can take Nelson or Allen (project) at 4.
  • If I am Mac I am letting Chris Johnson pick the QB.  Give him the files and a recommendation, and let him pick.  People know Mayfields' weaknesses, but I think they are supportive if the Jets pick him and would understand if he flops.  I think people also understand if Rosen gets hurt or quits.  But if Mac picks Allen, on his own, and turns out with Hack-like accuracy, he is done and never holds a GM job again.  Never.   
  • The Jets are running a WCO.  A team running an Ehrhardt offense could find a better use for Allen.  It is possible that Allen, like Hack, never functions in the Jets offense that they have decided to run.  Maybe they should have run the Patriots offense.
  • The premium the Jets traded to move up was less than what the Eagles and Bears paid on a percentage basis.  They are getting Rosen or Allen.  Maybe trade a third to move up to 2.  Not more.  Just take Mayfield or Rosen.  

One crazy scenario would be a 3 way trade between Bills, Giants and Browns, where the Bills move to 2, Giants drop to 4 and the Browns drop to 12 and get picks for the next century.   There is a relationship between Giants and Bills GM and maybe even with the Browns GM (given recent trade with bills for Tyrod).

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

Isn’t about me. I wanted Mayfield we’re likely to get Mayfield.

The price.....

I don't think Mayfield gets past Denver.  My opinion is that all 4 of these QBs would have been taken in the 1st 5 picks.  Browns, Giants, Bills (or other team trading into Colts slot), Denver.  

The only chance that one of them would fall to us at 6 is if the Giants did't take a QB but still keep the pick and takes Barkley and Cleveland keeps their #4 for another non-QB.  I seriously doubt that was going to happen.   So if you like Mayfield, then now there's a far better chance to get him or a better QB than we had at 6.  

55 minutes ago, varjet said:

I though bates was running Shanahans offense from the redskins years 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I'm scratching my head on this one.  If the Giants want a QB why would they trade back to #4 to take a "project" when they can stay put at #2 and get at least the 2nd (possibly 1st) QB off the board?

Late to the party.

At #6 no doubt 3 QBs are gone, Clev, Buff and Den. And maybe all 4. The move had to be made.

Having said that, the Colts found us attractive because they only slide to #6 and not out of range for one of the top players. Maybe that's something that got us over the line on the trade compared to Buffalo. You can shove all the picks at the Colts you want, but at some point they want to have a pick towards the top, we could offer that.

IMO people get caught up in if our pile of picks equals more than the other teams pile of picks, but it's not that simple. In this case our pile contained a #6, nice and high.

Might want to up size the forum server memory and processor for draft day. And if Allen goes #1 and the Giants pick a non-QB at #2, it's going to be the longest and most tense 10 minutes on the clock we've had in 50 years.

42 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

What are you assuming? Bills jump in front of us, or Giants or Browns take Rosen?

Giants take Rosen.. or bills, Denver, another team trade for giants pick. We did them a big favor trading up to 3. If nobody traded for colts pick, they take Barkley or Chubb. Since browns acquired a very good rb, they could take chubb at 4. Leaving giants in perfect spot to trade back with Denver, and still pick up Barkley 

My underlying feeling at the moment is I'll be happy with Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield at 3. 

The Allen pick will give me a heart attack but if picked I'll try and get behind it begrudgingly.

whichever of those three who are still there and get picked after Allen and (if they) end up having a better career than Allen, I go postal. 

Archived