JETS TRADE UP TO THREE MAC DADDY IS A PIMP

T0mShane

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

I should rephrase. There are three QBs worth it, at least in my mind, but the best teo will be gone by 3 and the third probably would have been there at 6. I think we’ve basically put ourselves in a position to draft the one guy who’s not worth a sh*t.

Maybe. And maybe Denver takes that QB right in front of us and turns out to be best of the 3, and we’re kicking ourselves. Who knows. 

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Why would they have one year if they did the smart thing of not trading up??

The McCown/Bridgewater laugher would fail, and they’d have no excuses.

A shiny new #3 pick QB they give the Hackshirt year to buys them time. It doesn’t buy US success.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I should rephrase. There are three QBs worth it, at least in my mind, but the best teo will be gone by 3 and the third probably would have been there at 6. I think we’ve basically put ourselves in a position to draft the one guy who’s not worth a sh*t.

again in case you missed the reports floating around . the bills and few other teams where trying to trade up with the colts .  you really think the 3rd QB was gonna fall too 6 ? 

10 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

No. We traded to three so there must be three, duh.

I'll be the first to admit, my initial reaction was unfiltered excitement.  This means we're getting a QB and not option 4, and that, on some level matters.  There's at least a reason to be optimistic, so I can't blame everyone for jumping up and down.  Then reality hit, and I realized who we're getting.  If it's Mayfield, at least it'll be fun to watch for a little while.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Ok

So you fear that we traded up for Allen and Mayfield will be there at 6?

That's very possible. 

It is quesy to realize the giants control our destiny, but Barkley is going to be awfully tempting and if teddy passes his physical he is only 25.

So get 2 voodoo dolls, 1 for Allen to go #1 and 1 for Barkley to go #2

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

I'll be the first to admit, my initial reaction was unfiltered excitement.  This means we're getting a QB and not option 4, and that, on some level matters.  There's at least a reason to be optimistic, so I can't blame everyone for jumping up and down.  Then reality hit, and I realized who we're getting.  If it's Mayfield, at least it'll be fun to watch for a little while.

since you already have the draft order locked . you should go place bet .. cause last  i check the giants are extremely high on Barkley, Nelson as well as Rosen. and most people around the league don't think there taking a QB. 

Just now, Scoop24 said:

since you already have the draft order locked . you should go place bet .. cause last  i check the giants are extremely high on Barkley, Nelson as well as Rosen. and most people around the league don't think there taking a QB. 

What's your point?  Had we traded up higher, it wouldn't matter who the Giants liked.

As for bets, what parameters do you like for Nelson to the Giants?  I'm interested in the opposite side of that.

I don't get why people are upset.  I don't know what else Macc could have done in this QB situation.

First he did everything he could to get Cousins signed.  Cousins wasn't coming to NYC.  Period

He had to trade up.  There are many scenarios that could have played out which could have ended badly for the Jets at 6.  Macc got a deal done that has them picking a QB at 3.  We'll see if he picks the right one or not.  Funny thing is, only thing we can be sure of, no matter who he picks we'll all be at one another's throats the day after the draft.  LOL 

9 hours ago, C Mart said:

It's still what their internal opinion and plans are for Eli...Eli's has a cap hit of approx $15m if cut at the end of '18.

I have a hard time believing they would sit Rosen (the #2 overall pick) for two years. So they either take the cap hit after '18, release Eli and then play Rosen '19. Or take a QB in round 2 to develop and have Davis Webb and 2nd rounder to choose from in '20 

$6,200,000 cap hit if Eli is cut next February. No cash.  that's just dead money from signing bonus. 

add $5 million roster bonus as of 3/19

and a full $23 million cap hit ($17 million cash) if he stays through the end of 2019

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

I don't get why people are upset.  I don't know what else Macc could have done in this QB situation.

First he did everything he could to get Cousins signed.  Cousins wasn't coming to NYC.  Period

He had to trade up.  There are many scenarios that could have played out which could have ended badly for the Jets at 6.  Macc got a deal done that has them picking a QB at 3.  We'll see if he picks the right one or not.  Funny thing is, only thing we can be sure of, no matter who he picks we'll all be at one another's throats the day after the draft.  LOL 

I think those who are upset would be happier had the Jets traded more value to get to 1.

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

What's your point?  Had we traded up higher, it wouldn't matter who the Giants liked.

As for bets, what parameters do you like for Nelson to the Giants?  I'm interested in the opposite side of that.

my point complaining about hypotheticals are useless. cause the draft never goes like anyone thinks . 

Just now, TeddEY said:

I think those who are upset would be happier had the Jets traded more value to get to 1.

That’s what kills me. I would have paid what it actually costs to move up for Rosen and am taking sh*t from people who wouldn’t have despite claiming to be charter members of the fan club. Trading halfway up and relying on dumb hope to get you the rest of the way is the new trading down.

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

my point complaining about hypotheticals are useless. cause the draft never goes like anyone thinks . 

It's not about hypotheticals, it's about taking chance and hypotheticals out of the equation.  One pick higher, and they're guaranteed Rosen or Darnold.  Now, what they actually do, that's a hypothetical.

10 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Mine was dread. But to your point I do understand the excitement, it meant we were going QB and all the Minkah trolling was proved to be just that.  The other upside is Rosen making it to 3 is far more likely than 6.

My current hope is the bills jump to 2 and take Allen.

1 minute ago, CTM said:

Mine was dread. But to your point I do understand the excitement, it meant we were going QB and all the Minkah trolling was proved to be just that.  The other upside is Rosen making it to 3 is far more likely than 6.

My current hope is the bills jump to 2 and take Allen.

I mean, no way Rosen is willing to go to Buffalo, right?  At this point, he can start looking for apartments in the city, regardless.

2 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

That’s what kills me. I would have paid what it actually costs to move up for Rosen and am taking sh*t from people who wouldn’t have despite claiming to be charter members of the fan club. Trading halfway up and relying on dumb hope to get you the rest of the way is the new trading down.

trade with who? Giants are not trading with the jets , why exactly would the QB needy brown trade down 6?.. 

6 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Right, that or don't throw away picks on a wing and a prayer. I secretly worry that Allen is his guy too.

Just now, CTM said:

Right, that or don't throw away picks on a wing and a prayer. I secretly worry that Allen is his guy too.

I guess that's because of Hackenberg, but that was always a developmental pick.  At the top of the draft, he's been much safer.  We'll see I guess.

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I guess that's because of Hackenberg, but that was always a developmental pick.  At the top of the draft, he's been much safer.  We'll see I guess.

I've not followed the team closely the last few years, but Mac just strikes me as an old school scout caveman who secretly despises math nerds and is desperate to prove the old methods work. It's not necessarily that Hackenberg resembles Allen physicaly or in play style, but the fact that Mac grabbed a guy early who the numbers said should've been a day 2 pick at best says a lot. (also drafting interior defenders early every year)

I think Jets fans fear Allen far more than fans of other teams.  Some intelligent football people think Allen is in consideration for the first overall pick.  I’d be thrilled to have any of these guys, so I’m happy with the trade.

We have to let go of the simple comparisons though. Darnold is not Sanchez because they both went to usc, mayfield is not Johnny Manzeil because they are both short and have an attitude and for the love of god, Allen is not Hackenberg because they are both tall guys with strong arms that share some of the same shortcomings.  There are similar comparisons for every player where you can point to one successful guy and 1 that didn’t work.  Deon Jordan was not Jason Taylor even though they looked and weighed very similar.

In the end the success or failure of a prospect will have far more to do with how much work they’re willing to put into this and if they have the kind of personality that won’t allow them to fail. All of these guys have the physical talent and traits to be great.  Who they are inside as a person will ultimately decide their success or failure.

1 minute ago, Persiussa said:

I think Jets fans fear Allen far more than fans of other teams.  Some intelligent football people think Allen is in consideration for the first overall pick.  I’d be thrilled to have any of these guys, so I’m happy with the trade.

CBS sports mock draft page has 4 of 6 mocks with Allen going #1 overall, and 5 of 6 as the first QB taken. It's stunning how little these guys have evolved

17 minutes ago, Persiussa said:

In the end the success or failure of a prospect will have far more to do with how much work they’re willing to put into this and if they have the kind of personality that won’t allow them to fail. All of these guys have the physical talent and traits to be great.  Who they are inside as a person will ultimately decide their success or failure.

Amen! 

I drank a bunch of alcohol around noon and it made me sick, and I’m coming back around now and I’m sick again about you dudes panicking about Allen being the pick. I’m going to choose to be in denial until I start reading about how infatuated Maccagnan is with Allen’s skill set and how the Jets have quietly flown Bates to Wyoming three times for private workouts. Until then, I’m going to choose to believe that the worst case scenario is that we pick Baker Mayfield and he comes in and entertains us for a few years even as the franchise burns to the ground around him. I can’t even think about Allen coming in and getting the olde two-year redshirt. 

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Excited is a different construct entirely in that regard.

Would Mayfield be fun to watch, unquestionably.  Maybe the most fun.  So, as someone who has a ton of other life priorities right now, a reason to actually turn on the TV on Sundays would be great.  However, from a moving the Jets towards a Super Bowl perspective... Do I think it was a good idea to trade up for Mayfield.  Nah.

Thats too bad. I guess we should stay the course of an old man and a broken taped together legged set of QBs. 

59 minutes ago, Larz said:

Ok

So you fear that we traded up for Allen and Mayfield will be there at 6?

That's very possible. 

It is quesy to realize the giants control our destiny, but Barkley is going to be awfully tempting and if teddy passes his physical he is only 25.

So get 2 voodoo dolls, 1 for Allen to go #1 and 1 for Barkley to go #2

Already done

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I'm excited/hopeful.  But, there's a good chance we still end up with QB 3.  Everyone is projecting a bunch of different players to the Giants, but I don't see why they're not taking a QB.  Eli's about done.

Choosing between Allen and Mayfield is better than choosing between Jackson and Rudolph.

32 minutes ago, Persiussa said:

We have to let go of the simple comparisons though. Darnold is not Sanchez because they both went to usc, mayfield is not Johnny Manzeil because they are both short and have an attitude and for the love of god, Allen is not Hackenberg because they are both tall guys with strong arms that share some of the same shortcomings.  There are similar comparisons for every player where you can point to one successful guy and 1 that didn’t work.  Deon Jordan was not Jason Taylor even though they looked and weighed very similar.

The problem is that Allen isn’t likely to will himself to being a better quarterback. It’s something that teams often try to do and always regret.

Archived