Baker Mayfield/Steve Mariucci white board session.

Patriot Killa

Well Ryan Leaf says he sees alot of himself in Baker so Baker's out! Ryan Leaf is the measuring stick for QB busts so he sets the mark.  Lol. I don't see Baker being a loser like Ryan Leaf but I don't remember what Leaf was like in college. I hope he doesn't scare us into taking Rosen who seems like the safer pick but Rosen is injury prone in college. If u can't stay on the field in college u think u can stay on the field in the pros?  Unlikely!

Just now, Nixhead said:

Well Ryan Leaf says he sees alot of himself in Baker so Baker's out! Ryan Leaf is the measuring stick for QB busts so he sets the mark.  Lol. I don't see Baker being a loser like Ryan Leaf but I don't remember what Leaf was like in college. I hope he doesn't scare us into taking Rosen who seems like the safer pick but Rosen is injury prone in college. If u can't stay on the field in college u think u can stay on the field in the pros?  Unlikely!

Nothing like Leaf..especially personality wise.  I think Leaf just sees the passion and loose mouth to things that happen around him.

I’m no psychologist but Baker seems more composed and in control of himself and the consequences. I also think he loves football so much that he won’t ruin himself or his opportunity. Baker likes the sport. Leaf didn’t enough to get a grip.

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I never played QB so he was speaking Chinese to me but I’m guessing that someone who played QB for 5/10 years wouldn’t have an issue remembering that. 

From what I’ve read, heard including from QBs that played in a few different O systems, the West Coast Offense is a completely different language, terminology etc...

8 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I never played QB so he was speaking Chinese to me but I’m guessing that someone who played QB for 5/10 years wouldn’t have an issue remembering that. 

Well Mariucci asks him at the end “is this west coast offense stuff new to you?” And he said “Yes. Fairly. Learned a few things from some teams I met with.”

So for him to re-write a WCO play that Mariucci drew up from the old 9ers play book and detail what the guys are suppose to do...was pretty encouraging.

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Well Mariucci asks him at the end “is this west coast offense stuff new to you?” And he said “Yes. Fairly. Learned a few things from some teams I met with.”

So for him to re-write a WCO play that Mariucci drew up from the old 9ers play book and detail what the guys are suppose to do...was pretty encouraging.

This is why teams are meeting with these qbs. They aren’t just sitting them down and asking about their passion for game, favorite ice cream, lol. Especially with the WCO, they  are testing him. Or more teaching him The main grasp and then asking him questions about what he would do in a typical situation.  Some qbs just can’t learn the complexity of nfl offense, especially the WCO. So I can now see why we are hearing the rumors why jets like him a lot. He has a bright football mind and is able to pick up what he learns very well. Mark Sanchez sucked so bad because he could never learn. 

So mucc says young was 6'1". He is listed at 6'2 

Turns out he is 6'

From a BYU article 

BEGIN QUOTE
I'm only 6 feet tall. My football card says 6-foot-2, and in shoes I really am 6-2, but it was a dream to be 6-2 because "6-foot" and "quarterback" don't go together well in the NFL because everybody else is 6-5, 6-6, 6-7. Many times I would drop back to pass, look for Jerry Rice, and see nothing but bodies in front of me. So I would start to run around to get visibility. And then, inevitably, I would be tackled and sacked for a loss. And the coach would say, "Steve, Jerry Rice was open. You were protected. Why didn't you throw the ball?"

"Couldn't see him."

And then the great comment back: "You'd better start seeing him." 
We are all 6-foot quarterbacks, throwing physically blind but spiritually by faith. And we are asked to do it with stiff opposition.

When we talk about opposition, trust me: I get the idea. In football, I faced the most highly skilled athletes in the world, singularly focused and highly paid to do one thing: put me on my back, fast. I came to recognize that my greatest opposition provided the most growth as a player. 

END QUOTE

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

This is why teams are meeting with these qbs. They aren’t just sitting them down and asking about their passion for game, favorite ice cream, lol. Especially with the WCO, they  are testing him. Or more teaching him The main grasp and then asking him questions about what he would do in a typical situation.  Some qbs just can’t learn the complexity of nfl offense, especially the WCO. So I can now see why we are hearing the rumors why jets like him a lot. He has a bright football mind and is able to pick up what he learns very well. Mark Sanchez sucked so bad because he could never learn. 

They said Bates drew up some plays in their private work out and incorporated some of Oklahoma’s offense and things that their head coach was doing. They came away happy. So most definitely, they are teaching Mayfield and asking him to relay the newly processed information as if he has known it his entire life..and it obvious looks hopeful.

I have no doubt that Mayfield should be the guy. He is coachable and very intelligent on the field. He will have growing pains like all rookies will but in the end the team that drafts him will be very happy with the results in the end. I just hope its the Jets.

27 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I thought I saw/heard the announcers say it was the "same play as last year" or something like that. I was pretty impressed too until I heard that crack about it.

I skipped everything. I'm pro Mayfield. I just wanted to come in and say Mariucci's QB breakdowns are cancer

West is going to die. I hope intergalactic aliens intervene. We're ****ed, glad I refuse to have kids. Roaches won

West is going to die. I hope intergalactic aliens intervene. We're ****ed, glad I refuse to have kids. Roaches won

l

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I watched that video, he was great in it, and I just got like this flash when he was talking about learning a lot from the Saints of seeing the little draft icon for Pick #2 change to the Saints and them coming up to get Mayfield who would give them a smooth transition at qb

1 hour ago, Larz said:

So mucc says young was 6'1". He is listed at 6'2 

Turns out he is 6'

From a BYU article 

BEGIN QUOTE
I'm only 6 feet tall. My football card says 6-foot-2, and in shoes I really am 6-2, but it was a dream to be 6-2 because "6-foot" and "quarterback" don't go together well in the NFL because everybody else is 6-5, 6-6, 6-7. Many times I would drop back to pass, look for Jerry Rice, and see nothing but bodies in front of me. So I would start to run around to get visibility. And then, inevitably, I would be tackled and sacked for a loss. And the coach would say, "Steve, Jerry Rice was open. You were protected. Why didn't you throw the ball?"

"Couldn't see him."

And then the great comment back: "You'd better start seeing him." 
We are all 6-foot quarterbacks, throwing physically blind but spiritually by faith. And we are asked to do it with stiff opposition.

When we talk about opposition, trust me: I get the idea. In football, I faced the most highly skilled athletes in the world, singularly focused and highly paid to do one thing: put me on my back, fast. I came to recognize that my greatest opposition provided the most growth as a player. 

END QUOTE

And Montana was the same height

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- When Christian Hackenberg receives a playcall from the sideline, it could sound something like this:

"Blast to Joker right 'X' motion 372 'R' Slant spacing."

It's a base pass play in Jon Gruden's version of the West Coast offense, known for its complicated verbiage. He taught the system years ago to New York Jets offensive coordinator John Morton, who introduced it to the team in April.

Hello, crash course.

Veteran quarterbacks say it takes years to master the West Coast offense. Some have complained, claiming it takes too long to receive the play and relay it to the huddle. The Jets are hoping Hackenberg -- in his fourth offensive system in the past five years -- can learn it well enough to play this season.

Mentally, it's an enormous challenge, particularly since Morton hasn't streamlined it. He's installing the system in its original form, which means a giant playbook and a lot of memorization.

"You have to keep getting reps at it, hearing it, saying and spitting it back out," Hackenberg said.

The well-traveled Josh McCown, 38, who has played in just about every system known to man, said the West Coast offense is "like learning a new language." He said the average playcall is 10 to 12 words, which means they're longer than some of Todd Bowles' news conference answers. Every word and every number has a specific meaning, covering the formation, motions/shifts and pass-protection schemes. Mess up one syllable, and you ruin the entire play.

The Jets' quarterbacks -- McCown, Hackenberg and Bryce Petty -- drill each other on the verbiage. Not only do they want to memorize the playcalls, but their goal is to repeat them with conviction.

"[You] want to rattle that out smoothly, where the guys in the huddle believe in what we’re talking about," McCown said.

League insiders think McCown has the edge in the Jets' quarterback competition, in large part, because of his background in this offense. He has played in variations of the West Coast offense, which is a new world for Hackenberg and Petty.

Former NFL quarterback Jim Miller has a unique perspective because he played under Gruden (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) and former Jets coordinator Chan Gailey (Pittsburgh Steelers). Miller said there's little similarity between the two systems, one of the reasons why he favors McCown in the competition.

"I think it will be McCown, I really believe that," said Miller, who co-hosts a SiriusXM NFL radio show with Pat Kirwan. "He gives them their best chance to win. He knows that offense, inside and out. Let the young guys learn from him."

Miller, who visited the Jets this week on his training-camp tour, was kind enough to give a detailed breakdown of the playcall: Blast to Joker right "X" motion 372 "R" Slant spacing. If you like Xs and Os, you'll enjoy this.

Blast: The type of shift.

Joker right: The final formation after the shift. In this case, a running back shifts out of the backfield and splits out wide right.

X motion: The X receiver motions across the formation from weak to strong.

372: This is the protection. Gruden called it Jet 2 (right) or Jet 3 (left). Miller used a numerical code. It's 372 because the play requires a three-step drop by the quarterback and "72" is the protection, with the line sliding toward the weakside linebacker. The line is responsible for the four-man line, plus the Will linebacker -- a 5-on-5 situation.

R Slant: After shifting, the running back runs a slant route.

How the play unfolds: The remaining running back reads the middle linebacker and strongside linebacker. If they both rush, the quarterback is a blocker short and must throw quickly to his best matchup. The tight end runs a five-yard hook. The X receiver, after motioning across the formation, runs a flat route. The Z receiver hooks at five yards.

Mind you, this is only one play. There are hundreds in Morton's playbook, and each one has variations because of different formations. This is a small sample of what's spinning in Hackenberg's brain when he steps into the huddle, and he must convince 10 other players he knows what he's doing.

"You want to convey that, 'Hey, I'm in control of this ship and I understand what's going on,'" Miller said. "That's command, that's huddle presence, that's conviction. Make those players believe in you."

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Did you forget he took us to two AFC Championship games ?  Give the man SOME credit.

5 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Did you forget he took us to two AFC Championship games ?  Give the man SOME credit.

Try the best Defense, Rushing Attack and O-line in football.

3 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Gotta say he is growing on me. Love that moxie he brings.

Yay we agree on something.

31 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Wohhhhh there buddy!? Unless he was the team bus driver, he didn’t “ take “ the jets 09/10 teams anywhere. He was there though. He threw more ints than tds, barely completed 50% of his throws, and needed color coded wrist bands. The number 1 and 3 defenses, along with a league leading running game took him to the afc championships. If we had an average qb, get to a Super Bowl atleast 1 of those years, good chance at winning won. But we had mark Sanchez  

I really like Mayfield.  The only thing that bothered me in this interview was his answer to the last question.  He said his goal is to be rookie of the year.  On the move the sticks podcast they mention this type of question is asked all the time and the answer is very telling.  Certain guys answer with personal achievement accolades, similar to what Baker answered.  But the answer that is more impressive is when the player wants to achieve team-oriented goals like being the best offense/defense or making the playoffs.  Neither answer equates to winning a super bowl, but shows that the team's success is more important than their own.  Other than that, not a bad interview.

7 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Wohhhhh there buddy!? Unless he was the team bus driver, he didn’t “ take “ the jets 09/10 teams anywhere. He was there though. He threw more ints than tds, barely completed 50% of his throws, and needed color coded wrist bands. The number 1 and 3 defenses, along with a league leading running game took him to the afc championships. If we had an average qb, get to a Super Bowl atleast 1 of those years, good chance at winning won. But we had mark Sanchez  

To be fair, Sanchez was good in the playoffs. I don’t recall him giving up all those points before half to the Steelers. And him not stopping Peyton before the half against the colts. A red Ryan defense always broke when it had to stand strong 

2 minutes ago, usanyj said:

To be fair, Sanchez was good in the playoffs. I don’t recall him giving up all those points before half to the Steelers. And him not stopping Peyton before the half against the colts. A red Ryan defense always broke when it had to stand strong 

There’s no doubt that he was a good game manager in the playoffs but when the team needed him to be a real QB the most...in the Pittsburgh game..he couldn’t do that.

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

There’s no doubt that he was a good game manager in the playoffs but when the team needed him to be a real QB the most...in the Pittsburgh game..he couldn’t do that.

No true - The guy had 9 tds and 3 ints in his playoff career with a close to 95 QBR. It's so hard for people to give the guy some credit. In the Steelers game the team was manhandled in the first half and Sanchez brought them back in the second half but the D couldn't stop them and get the ball back.

2 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Revisionist history - how did he play against the Colts and the Pats in the playoffs. The guy had 9 tds and 3 ints in his playoff career with a close to 95 QBR. It's so hard for people to give the guy some credit. In the Steelers game the team was manhandled in the first half and Sanchez brought them back in the second half but the D couldn't stop them and get the ball back.

He played good and managed the ball well with a strong rushing attack..look at his throwing attempts. He didn’t step up like a franchise QB that he was claimed to be when they needed him to the most.

PERIOD.

I won’t pull a Junc and turn into this thread into a 2009/10 Sanchez thread, so i’ll just leave it at that.

8 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Wohhhhh there buddy! Unless he was the team bus driver, he didn’t “ take “ the jets 09/10 teams anywhere. He was there though. He threw more ints than tds, barely completed 50% of his throws, and needed color coded wrist bands. The number 1 and 3 defenses, along with a league leading running game took him to the afc championships. If we had an average qb, get to a Super Bowl atleast 1 of those years, good chance at winning won. But we had mark Sanchez  

:disgust: This is a, I'll use the word "strange" post tho I'm thinking of other words even for you. Guess he deserves no credit whats so ever.  Did you catch the post on this post season stats ? 95 QBR , 9 TD's only 3 int. ? Guess not. Maybe you were only 12 when he did this.

12 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

No true - The guy had 9 tds and 3 ints in his playoff career with a close to 95 QBR. It's so hard for people to give the guy some credit. In the Steelers game the team was manhandled in the first half and Sanchez brought them back in the second half but the D couldn't stop them and get the ball back.

:good:   A lot of negative, uninformed posters here. I guess since he didn't win a SB he was a total failure

Archived