Bowles is fired up!

Maxman

12 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

As for him not deliberately tanking, thank god we don’t have a coach that would tank on purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a big difference between tanking, and understanding that the season is lost so let's see what we've got on the roster. Mediocrity, is a death sentence. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

There is a good chance he is cut though. Unless he is 100% healthy 

Yes, and we'll have lost nothing. However, if he's healthy, there's a chance the Jets could recoup at least some of the draft picks we had to give up for Darnold. It doesn't even have to be an injury that brings teams to the table. San Diego, New Orleans. Cincinnati, etc, might all be interested in trading for his services. 

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I really am disappointed that when we finally have a franchise Qb the CBA limits his practice time to 30% of what it used to be. He needs to pull a Sanchez and fly Anderson, Pryor, Enunwa and Kearse to So. Cal for workouts. Get their timing and relationships worked out. Have McCown meet them as well for mentoring 

Agreed on the BS CBA practice nonsense, BUT this year isn’t the year to organize a volunteer camp with the starters, first, and foremost it would be a huge FU to McCown, 2nd he needs to know the playbook better then anyone he invites to this volunteer camp, maybe he can pick it up super quick, but can’t assume this.

Now hopefully the Jets, and Josh McCown have a wink wink nudge nudge agreement to organize such things all while centering them around Darnold, McCown is a great guy, teammate, and team player.  While I know he still has all the interest, and expectation of winning the starting QB job he was mainly resigned because he would do whatever asked of him, and more to help get the drafted rookie QB ready as quick as possible outside of the team allowed structured organized activities as long as the rookie QB wants to get mentored by McCown which in Darnolds case it seems a given he does.

3 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I know someone who grew up with Todd, played football with him in Elizabeth, and still does talk to him from time to time. One thing I think is apparent is the Todd Bowles everyone thinks they know is not close to the Todd Bowles with the players and people close to him. Todd is intense as hell and incredibly smart. He can be incredibly disciplined and does not put up with bullsh*t, but also knows how to get along easy with many personalities. His media personality is nothing like his locker room personality, and he doesn’t do it trying to emulate others like Belicheck. He just doesn’t give up his guard to people he doesn’t trust.

I think personally he can be far too conservative as a coach in games, but I do think he coaches players well and has their buy in. I think people criticize his unwillingness to play young QB’s but after seeing how bad Petty is I realize he was right. That guy has no business on an NFL field and I’ll take Todd’s word that Hack doesn’t either. Todd had had no problems playing rookies elsewhere so it stands to reason he’d play a young QB if the QB we’re good. I think we’ll see that with Darnold. As for him not deliberately tanking, thank god we don’t have a coach that would tank on purpose.

Might be a good guy. Have no idea.Would hope it goes without saying don't wish him any ill will. 

But a guy who twice last year punted down 2 scores late in the 4th has no business being  an NFL coach. Last 2 Super Bowls were lost by one team that pulled in it's horns with a big lead-prevent, stopped trying to get 1st downs, etc., , and won by another team that never stopped trying to sack the QB and push the ball by passing and score on offense. Despite getting a lot of the team's resources, Bowles'  Jets defense on it's best day is ordinary. It does not get to the QB. Not much point to having all these DBs because when the play extends, the other QB if he is any good is gonna find an open receiver. In fairness the rules as enforced mean than defenses are by design going to fail several times every game. And that seems totally lost on a guy like Bowles. As above, he brings the worst ideas of Rex Ryan and Herman Edwards, pretending against objective evidence that the way  NFL games are officiated and played you can have a shutdown defense. You can't.

And by all accounts he has nothing much to do with the offense.

In short he adds nothing. 

On 5/5/2018 at 5:27 AM, 32EBoozer said:

I really am disappointed that when we finally have a franchise Qb the CBA limits his practice time to 30% of what it used to be. He needs to pull a Sanchez and fly Anderson, Pryor, Enunwa and Kearse to So. Cal for workouts. Get their timing and relationships worked out. Have McCown meet them as well for mentoring 

NO, NO,NO!!!!!!! 

He needs to do absolutely NOTHING like Sanchez. The ONLY similarity I want between the two is that wretched school they attended. 

17 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I know someone who grew up with Todd, played football with him in Elizabeth, and still does talk to him from time to time. One thing I think is apparent is the Todd Bowles everyone thinks they know is not close to the Todd Bowles with the players and people close to him. Todd is intense as hell and incredibly smart. He can be incredibly disciplined and does not put up with bullsh*t, but also knows how to get along easy with many personalities. His media personality is nothing like his locker room personality, and he doesn’t do it trying to emulate others like Belicheck. He just doesn’t give up his guard to people he doesn’t trust.

I think personally he can be far too conservative as a coach in games, but I do think he coaches players well and has their buy in. I think people criticize his unwillingness to play young QB’s but after seeing how bad Petty is I realize he was right. That guy has no business on an NFL field and I’ll take Todd’s word that Hack doesn’t either. Todd had had no problems playing rookies elsewhere so it stands to reason he’d play a young QB if the QB we’re good. I think we’ll see that with Darnold. As for him not deliberately tanking, thank god we don’t have a coach that would tank on purpose.

THIS

People in her are talking so much about they are glad to see emotion from him. I saw him being sarcastic and mocking reporters for a dumb ass question about how a rookie looks after his very first practice in rookie camp. Over the years I have seen plenty of emotion from Todd when he cracks open the door a bit. I have seen him talk about his college team winning and tell jokes on the podium and that is probably as closest to the real Todd we are ever going to see. The rest of the time he answers the questions with as little information as possible. I have ZERO problems with that. 

As far as this ongoing mantra about him not playing rookies as stated above, that is bullshyt and always has been. In every instance where we actually have a rookie that is a better player than the guy in front of him the rookie has played. EVERY TIME....people were so frustrated (read desperate) to have a real QB we were willing to sacrifice wins just to get a glimpse and have some hope. A head coach cant sacrifice all the hard work, effort, blood, sweat and tears of every other person on that team just to prove to the fans that the rookie QB's we had on the roster sucked arse. In fact most of us knew it already, we were just mad that we couldn't be proven wrong. 

I am on record that I didn't care for Sam but like every other QB we have had the last 50 years I am rooting like hell for the kid. I think its gonna be hard to beat out 2 guys in front of him who if healthy are experienced enough to keep him on the bench. Its not just about who throws a prettier pass, Sam needs to learn to read those complex defenses that he is gonna face week in and week out, that is always where the vets have the edge. If Sam proves he can pick it up or figure it out fast enough where he isn't gonna cost us a game or need a damn wrist band then Todd will play him.  

22 hours ago, Snell41 said:

yes.  about time someone points out there are more than just x's and o's to being a head coach.  bowles knows what kind of team he wants and he's slowly been getting the players.  don't think for a minute that bowles doesn't have a say in the draft picks and the free agents either. he does.  on the other hand the rebuild has been much slower than it was thought it should be.  a lot of that is because of the relative success of the 2015 season.

Bowles dodged a bullet with no Rosen. Rosen is that kid that asks you why the sun is so bright and you answer because it’s got it’s high beams on and he responds “that’s not right.”

Good guy Sam Darnold bought him at least another year

On 5/5/2018 at 9:21 AM, 32EBoozer said:

Agreed. He strikes me as the type who WILL  take advantage of the opportunity. Pissed he wasn’t taken #1...... sees the talent he is competing against, does anyone scare him? And finally, he’s come out of a pro system.... that’s a big plus.

If he is ready and can handle the pressure, take the reigns off week 4 vs. dolphins. Developing our young Qb for Playoffs 2019 is the goal. 

Edit: After giving a little more thought to this, the ideal scenario would be Bridgewater wins the job outright to start the season, puts up big numbers and leads the team to a WC berth. We then trade him for a #1 or #2 and give Darnold the team next year.

Why trade Terry if he excels. Let him and Sam battle it out and either way you have a solid backup on the bench when, not if, the #1 goes down. QBs get injured in this league all the time especially if you don’t have a top O-line. Many teams don’t have a good #2 QB and when their top guy goes down, there goes the season. It would be amazing for the Jets to have 2 really good QBs on the roster for the first time in my lifetime!

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

Why trade Terry if he excels. Let him and Sam battle it out and either way you have a solid backup on the bench when, not if, the #1 goes down. QBs get injured in this league all the time especially if you don’t have a top O-line. Many teams don’t have a good #2 QB and when their top guy goes down, there goes the season. It would be amazing for the Jets to have 2 really good QBs on the roster for the first time in my lifetime!

I think it's unlikely Bridgewater gets traded, but with that said, if they were to get a good offer this year, I certainly wouldn't rule it out either.  While I doubt the Jets will be so lucky, you could essentially look to what happened when Bridgewater got hurt.  Eagles were ready to roll with Bradford, but between what they saw from Wentz and getting a first round offer from MIN, there's no way they were going to turn that down.

As long as they have even the slightest degree of confidence in Darnold by the end of camp, I can't imagine they'd be against having him and McCown as their top 2 guys at the position.  With that said, I doubt a good enough trade offer comes this year to make it worth it for them, nor that there's any real chance of a deal happening after that, such as next year when he's already set to be a FA.

On 5/6/2018 at 9:19 AM, jetspenguin said:

need a damn wrist band

So Tom Brady shouldn’t have been starting all these years because he needs a damn wrist band interesting.

3 hours ago, MaxAF said:

In another thread I made the same argument. Someone said that Teddy needed to be traded before the deadline. I mentioned you could Tag him or sign him to an extension. If Sam can't beat him out next year, then Teddy starts and Sam sits another year and learns. Totally agree with you.

However if Teddy and Sam are equal, or Sam is better, then trade Teddy and get a 1st or 2nd depending on how well he is performing. If no one makes a good offer, you have another Wentz/Foles scenario.

56 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

So Tom Brady shouldn’t have been starting all these years because he needs a damn wrist band interesting.

did you not realize that I was talking about the Sanchize color coded band or were you being sarcastic?

there is a difference

10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

In another thread I made the same argument. Someone said that Teddy needed to be traded before the deadline. I mentioned you could Tag him or sign him to an extension. If Sam can't beat him out next year, then Teddy starts and Sam sits another year and learns. Totally agree with you.

However if Teddy and Sam are equal, or Sam is better, then trade Teddy and get a 1st or 2nd depending on how well he is performing. If no one makes a good offer, you have another Wentz/Foles scenario.

Tag him?  I think the 2018 tag for QB is $21+M.  With Garoppolo, Ryan and upcoming extensions for guys like Rodgers it is probably going to go through the roof. Not something you do, unless Darnold is a bust.  Likewise, Bridgewater does not sign a reasonable extension with the Jets because why be a backup QB and take backup QB money?  If he's good he is going to want $25+, if he's not - who cares? 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Tag him?  I think the 2018 tag for QB is $21+M.  With Garoppolo, Ryan and upcoming extensions for guys like Rodgers it is probably going to go through the roof. Not something you do, unless Darnold is a bust.  Likewise, Bridgewater does not sign a reasonable extension with the Jets because why be a backup QB and take backup QB money?  If he's good he is going to want $25+, if he's not - who cares? 

Darnold doesn't need to be a bust.... just that he's not ready to beat out Teddy by this time next year. We have a ton of cap space next year! The Franchise Tag on Teddy as insurance is a "no-brainer" if he wins the job this year and gets us to 8 wins or better. Darnold does not need to be rushed!

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

TRANSITION TAG NOT the Franchise Tag. :rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Darnold doesn't need to be a bust.... just that he's not ready to beat out Teddy by this time next year. We have a ton of cap space next year! The Franchise Tag on Teddy as insurance is a "no-brainer" if he wins the job this year and gets us to 8 wins or better. Darnold does not need to be rushed!

Seriously?  Let me get this plan.  We have money so it is a "no-brainer" to spend it?  Your plan is to tag Bridgewater at what will surely be in excess of $25M and let Darnold redshirt?  For a second year?  Based on an 8 win season?  Don't rush Darnold.  Let Darnold sit for half his rookie deal.  Then we will have to give him the 5th year option based on at most 2 seasons of play and then pay him a fortune based on 2-3 seasons of play?  Sound financial planning right there! Mike Maccagnan, is that you? 

18 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

TRANSITION TAG NOT the Franchise Tag. :rolleyes:

I was not sure of your point, but I checked and I think the transition tag for 2018 was $21M and the franchise tag $23M.  Both are going up.  A lot. 

34 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

did you not realize that I was talking about the Sanchize color coded band or were you being sarcastic?

there is a difference

Sorry missed where you specifically typed the Sanchez thing, not a mind reader.  Brady has worn a wrist band his whole career.

11 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Sorry missed where you specifically typed the Sanchez thing, not a mind reader.  Brady has worn a wrist band his whole career.

I didn't need to specifically type that. You cherry picked one line out of my entire post that fit your narrative so of course you didn't get the reference. You didn't want to....anyone could see I was referring to a QB who is not ready to the point where he needed a wristband? Does that sound like Brady to you?

On 5/4/2018 at 10:10 PM, Charlie Brown said:

I really think that if Bowles opens up a little more this fan base wont be as hard on him.......

Maybe.... :) 

Bowles is a good coach.

He was the first winner of the AP Assistant of the Year in 2014 and everyone on that list has jobs. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Press_NFL_Assistant_Coach_of_the_Year_Award

2014    Todd Bowles    Defensive coordinator    Arizona Cardinals    11–5    
2015    Wade Phillips    Defensive coordinator    Denver Broncos    12–4    
2016    Kyle Shanahan    Offensive coordinator    Atlanta Falcons    11–5  
2017    Pat Shurmur    Offensive coordinator    Minnesota Vikings    13–3  

even more recently he got 10 wins out of a 5 win roster and last year 5 wins out of a 0 win roster.

this was a stripped down cap-bare team with no QB he somehow beat the Jags. The locker room never quit on him. in fact they were dancing during "meaningless" games down the stretch

the so-called discipline issues are actually Todd Bowles enforcing team rules even on so-called star players. Mo Wilk was late to meetings, they say Dez Bryant hasn't been to a meeting in 4 years. The difference is the NY media and this shadow of Parcells/Belly that a coach can make miracles out of miracle whip.  But Bowles is one of the last legit branches to the Parcells tree (Some say Reid tree) but pretty soon he will be making a coaching tree of his own. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Bowles#Coaching_tree

Just now, bitonti said:

Bowles is a good coach.

He was the first winner of the AP Assistant of the Year in 2014 and everyone on that list has jobs. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Press_NFL_Assistant_Coach_of_the_Year_Award

2014    Todd Bowles    Defensive coordinator    Arizona Cardinals    11–5    
2015    Wade Phillips    Defensive coordinator    Denver Broncos    12–4    
2016    Kyle Shanahan    Offensive coordinator    Atlanta Falcons    11–5  
2017    Pat Shurmur    Offensive coordinator    Minnesota Vikings    13–3 

Is that as prestigious an honor as AFC Defensive Player of the Week? Asking for a friend.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Is that as prestigious an honor as AFC Defensive Player of the Week? Asking for a friend.

Probably. Who came up with the first one, Pepsi?

AP awards are usually legit. If anyone on the Jets made AP All-Pro we'd all hear about it endlessly.  

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

I didn't need to specifically type that. You cherry picked one line out of my entire post that fit your narrative so of course you didn't get the reference. You didn't want to....anyone could see I was referring to a QB who is not ready to the point where he needed a wristband? Does that sound like Brady to you?

It does sound like Brady he wears a wrist band.

Just now, jetspenguin said:

Is he a QB who wears a wristband because he isnt ready to play?

Your OP didn’t specify any conditions other then need a damn wrist band.  Apparently Brady needs a damn wrist band.

I'm assuming he let the locker room BS run it's course a couple of years ago due to heavy veteran influence. I gave him a pass on that but his lack of sideline prowness is concerning. Giving up on offense was bad optics. Not playing Hack at all was a joke. I don't care how bad he looked play the guy for a damn half!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I was not sure of your point, but I checked and I think the transition tag for 2018 was $21M and the franchise tag $23M.  Both are going up.  A lot. 

The Transition Tag is a MUCH better application to HEDGE the QB Assets in '19 that may be wildcards and unknowns in BOTH Bridgewater and Darnold in '18. 

Jets only have 2 QBs under contract for 2019: Hackenberg ( cheap thru '19 & Darnold cheap thru '22). Bridgewater has proven more in the league than the aforementioned pups, and his only caveat is his knee. In the WCO, he's IDEAL as an accurate pocket passer that can hit the intermediate and short routes. Let's say, Bridgewater gets in some games AND PLAYS WELL. He's worth keeping and at a MORE REASONABLE cost under the Transition Tag (avg. of Top 10 position salary, WITH right of first refusal and 3rd round pick as a comp) rather than the Franchise Tag (Top 5 salary and a 2 x 1st rounders - negotiable-) in which NO ONE will fork over $ AND 1st round picks as Comps for Bridgewater. WE have the cap space in '19 to afford TB at the TT.

If Darnold needs more time, Bridgewater is the IDEAL QB to keep in '19. An experienced SAV-EREN QB w/TB 's resume WILL cost $$ in the NFL REGARDLESS, but IMO, the Transition Tag is the perfect hedge and salvage value for Bridegwater in '19. I would IR him in '18 for the 1st 1/2 of the season, TTag him in '19 and have him at a MORE reasonable cost, but in line w/the avg. starter in NFL. If another team really wants him and offers MORE than the Jets, GREAT! we get a comp pick for what was a garbage bin Antiques Roadshow find which yielded an asset in return for MINIMAL investment. 

I need another espresso!;)

6 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

The Transition Tag is a MUCH better application to HEDGE the QB Assets in '19 that may be wildcards and unknowns in BOTH Bridgewater and Darnold in '18. 

Jets only have 2 QBs under contract for 2019: Hackenberg ( cheap thru '19 & Darnold cheap thru '22). Bridgewater has proven more in the league than the aforementioned pups, and his only caveat is his knee. In the WCO, he's IDEAL as an accurate pocket passer that can hit the intermediate and short routes. Let's say, Bridgewater gets in some games AND PLAYS WELL. He's worth keeping and at a MORE REASONABLE cost under the Transition Tag (avg. of Top 10 position salary, WITH right of first refusal and 3rd round pick as a comp) rather than the Franchise Tag (Top 5 salary and a 2 x 1st rounders - negotiable-) in which NO ONE will fork over $ AND 1st round picks as Comps for Bridgewater. WE have the cap space in '19 to afford TB at the TT.

If Darnold needs more time, Bridgewater is the IDEAL QB to keep in '19. An experienced SAV-EREN QB w/TB 's resume WILL cost $$ in the NFL REGARDLESS, but IMO, the Transition Tag is the perfect hedge and salvage value for Bridegwater in '19. I would IR him in '18 for the 1st 1/2 of the season, TTag him in '19 and have him at a MORE reasonable cost, but in line w/the avg. starter in NFL. If another team really wants him and offers MORE than the Jets, GREAT! we get a comp pick for what was a garbage bin Antiques Roadshow find which yielded an asset in return for MINIMAL investment. 

Count me as saying a big NO to this.  $21M was the transition tag for 2018.  it was set prior to the Cousins, Ryan  and Brees deals.  I believe that it is already over $25.5.  Rodgers, Wilson and Roethlisberger are all due to extend.  When they do, that number is going to get uglier and uglier.  Having a top pick at a premium position is supposed to let you spend on the rest of the roster, not hedge your bets.  They will need their money to build a team around Darnold and to pay him in 2022/2023.  You don't get a pick back for the transition tag, you get a right to offer the same deal- you are thinking of the non-exclusive rights franchise tag.  I'm not sure what that will be, but I think the franchise tag sits at $27.5M if no other huge deals are signed.  He is a Jet player, if he signs a big deal elsewhere we will get a comp pick for NO further investment or risk.

For the record, I don't you are allowed to arbitrarily IR players.  He will demand his release/injury settlement and go elsewhere and the NFLPA will jump up and down.  He has an incentive laden contract, why would he agree to be hid on IR? 

37 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I honestly do not think bridgewater makes the team. If McCown is healthy he is the starter most likely. Darnold has the outside shot but almost all agree he needs some polish first. Mac doesn’t want to admit just yet hackenberg was an awful pick. They can keep him as a cheap 3 for this yr and next yr. No way mac would tag bridgewater. Darnold should be ready next yr. spend 25 mil on a pass rusher, OL. McCown could be the #2 next yr. 

If Teddy Bridgewater, is fully recovered from his injury, and regains his form, you don't let him just walk away. As mentioned above, the Jets will have only 2 QB's on the roster, and both on the cheap. They will also have more than enough cap room to lock him up and work out a deal. If he recovers and regains (both are huge ifs), it probably won't come to that anyway. A young, proven QB, is gold. He would easily be worth the picks we gave up for Darnold, and possibly more.

It also helps that next year's draft class, looks to be a shallow pool from which to pick.

On 5/4/2018 at 7:18 PM, SnackExchange said:

I remember it well. It was the first day of my junior year when I noticed her. She was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen, and I told my friends that she was going to be my girlfriend. They all laughed. "She's way out of your league!", they all taunted. The thing is, they were right. She was out of my league. Now, I wasn't a troll, but a guy like me, doesn't get a girl like her. Strangely, the situation only served to free me of any fear. I mean, what do I have to lose, right? If I ask her out, and she laughs in my face, I'm still, in some small way, a legend. If I ask her out, and she says yes....

I did, and we were together for more than a decade.

That's kinda how I'm feeling tonight.

Gay

Archived