Teddy Bridgewater opens eyes with impressive Jets start

Freemanm

Teddy Bridgewater opens eyes with impressive Jets start

May 22, 2018 | 7:07pm

The two new Jets quarterbacks had much different performances in the team’s first OTA practice of the year Tuesday.

Rookie Sam Darnold struggled while veteran Teddy Bridgewater, who signed with the team in March, had a strong day.

The two new Jets quarterbacks had much different performances in the team’s first OTA practice of the year Tuesday.

Rookie Sam Darnold struggled while veteran Teddy Bridgewater, who signed with the team in March, had a strong day.What Sam Darnold showed his competition on Jets Day 1 Darnold showed the growing pains expected from a rookie, even one taken No. 3 overall in the draft. He threw a lot of incompletions, had two interceptions (one on a tipped pass) and fumbled a snap. He received the most team reps of any of the quarterbacks, taking 21 snaps.

“It’s Day 1, first time going up against a different defense and putting the offense against 11 guys over there,” coach Todd Bowles said. “All of them have some learning to do and some growing to do. We’ll just keep getting better going forward.”

Bridgewater, who has barely played in two years since a devastating knee injury with the Vikings, moved well in his first Jets practice. He rolled out several times and made some beautiful passes.

“It feels great,” Bridgewater said of his surgically repaired left knee.

Bridgewater played in a Week 15 game last year in Minnesota — making all of two throws — but that was his only action since 2015. He signed a one-year deal with the Jets, joining a crowded quarterbacks room. He is competing with Josh McCown and Darnold for the starting spot.

“I’ve been working with the training staff. We’ve been making some great progress,” Bridgewater said. “The goal is to get better each day. That’s our primary focus right now. That’s my focus as an individual goal, and we’re going to continue to just make those strides.”

McCown took all 13 first-team reps in the practice. Bridgewater got nine reps.

Bridgewater’s health was a bit of a mystery this spring, so Tuesday was an encouraging sign. Bridgewater could push McCown for the starting job or be a trade chip in August if he plays well.

Bridgewater said he is not worried about the quarterback pecking order right now.

“Control what you can control,” Bridgewater said of his approach. “My primary focus is to be the best teammate I can be, be the best caliber player I can be to help the New York Jets win football games. We’re going to continue to push each other in that room, motivate each other and it’s going to trickle down the line with everyone in this locker room.”

Darnold looked like someone whose head is swimming right now as he tries to learn the playbook. He was out of sync with wide receivers, looked rushed at times and would have been sacked twice if it was a full-contact practice.

“We like what we see,” Bowles said. “We’ve only had one day of OTAs. That will be a process going forward. We like what we see in Teddy.”

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is obviously the reason the Jets let Hackenberg go....if Bridgewater is looking good, we have our three QB's, making Hackenberg expendable. 

That we didn't have to give anything up for someone to take him was a miracle.

I don't understand why both fans and press already have the Jets trading Bridgewater away. 

I understand that if he is actually does show he is "together" he could be prohibitive financially to keep but I think having a healthy Bridgewater and an up and coming Darnold next season is certainly more attractive than Darnold and ??? McCown wont be in a Jets uniform next season. 

Spend the money and keep him. Work something out. If a team truly wants to keep a player they always seem to find a way. The only way the team should seek a trade for Bridgewater is if he outright requests it or if some qb hungry team blows Mac away. 

18 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Rooting for this kid to blow up this off-season.  First contender that losses a QB hopefully comes knocking.  He should be fully showcased in preseason if he's even at 80% of where he was

Not to state the obvious, but the Jets need a bonafide starting quarterback. 

And if it's Teddy instead of Sam I could care less.  I don't think any Eagles fans are feeling sad because Nick Foles won them their Super Bowl.  If Teddy Bridgewater plays like Teddy Bridgewater, holy sh-t did we pull of the heist of the century. 

SAR I

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Darnold needs to play at some point this year and start next year.  McCown is starting week 1.

Teddy doesnt fit here unless McCown gets hurt.

I see the complete opposite.  McCown is a career backup and only on the Jets roster because he's prepared to step back and focus on what his real calling is-  being an NFL offensive coordinator and potential head coach.

If Teddy stays healthy he should easily unseat McCown as the Week 1 starter.  Then McCown and Darnold can focus on the 2019 season while we see what Mr. Bridgewater can do with this 2018 transitional season.

Remember, 5 of our first 6 games are against playoff caliber competition or on the road.  The team can implode very easily if they go 0-4, a distinct possibility, the oddsmakers would see it that way.

SAR I

13 minutes ago, Joe the Breadman said:

I don't understand why both fans and press already have the Jets trading Bridgewater away. 

I understand that if he is actually does show he is "together" he could be prohibitive financially to keep but I think having a healthy Bridgewater and an up and coming Darnold next season is certainly more attractive than Darnold and ??? McCown wont be in a Jets uniform next season. 

Spend the money and keep him. Work something out. If a team truly wants to keep a player they always seem to find a way. The only way the team should seek a trade for Bridgewater is if he outright requests it or if some qb hungry team blows Mac away. 

Let’s think from the player’s point of view and not just ours. If he somehow makes it through a full season healthy, and plays well,there is no way he is coming back to jets. He is going to go somewhere where he is almost guaranteed to start. He will get the offers. If he wins the job though and somehow can ball, sure we could be looking at a decent comp pick in 2020. But Mac may want the draft pick next yr, knowing he May not be here in 2020.

32 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I see the complete opposite.  McCown is a career backup and only on the Jets roster because he's prepared to step back and focus on what his real calling is-  being an NFL offensive coordinator and potential head coach.

If Teddy stays healthy he should easily unseat McCown as the Week 1 starter.  Then McCown and Darnold can focus on the 2019 season while we see what Mr. Bridgewater can do with this 2018 transitional season.

Remember, 5 of our first 6 games are against playoff caliber competition or on the road.  The team can implode very easily if they go 0-4, a distinct possibility, the oddsmakers would see it that way.

SAR I

This makes no sense.  The year McCown had last year is better then any season Bridgewater had.  

Teddy Bridgewater is a bad nfl qb.  Anyone who has watched him knows this.  And the stats prove it.

17 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This makes no sense.  The year McCown had last year is better then any season Bridgewater had.  

Teddy Bridgewater is a bad nfl qb.  Anyone who has watched him knows this.  And the stats prove it.

Solely relying on stats is for nerds who don't actually watch games 

His best season was 2015.  He failed to throw a td pass in 6 of those games.  That's pathetic.

In 7 of those games, he threw more interceptions then tds.

He has a weak arm, he has poor mobility and he is more conservative then if Alex Smith and Chad Pennington had a love child.

I get it though.  You are all excited because he was a 1st round pick and at one point in college, he was supposed to be the second coming.  But he had the worst pro day in the history of pro days, he fell like a rock in the draft and was pedestrian at best the 2 seasons he played.

10 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

His best season was 2014.  He failed to throw a td pass in 6 of those games.  That's pathetic.

He has a weak arm, he has poor mobility and he is more conservative then if Alex Smith and Chad Pennington had a love child.

I get it though.  You are all excited because he was a 1st round pick and at one point in college, he was supposed to be the second coming.  But he had the worst pro day in the history of pro days, he fell like a rock in the draft and was pedestrian at best the 2 seasons he played.

Jeez, I only posted this because it's day 1 of OTAs and there's nothing else to talk about. Bridgewater at best is insurance if Darnold turns out to be a bust (and we all pray that he isn't). If Bridgewater plays well, then sign and trade him, I say. 

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Let’s think from the player’s point of view and not just ours. If he somehow makes it through a full season healthy, and plays well,there is no way he is coming back to jets. He is going to go somewhere where he is almost guaranteed to start. He will get the offers. If he wins the job though and somehow can ball, sure we could be looking at a decent comp pick in 2020. But Mac may want the draft pick next yr, knowing he May not be here in 2020.

Jet's will franchise him

19 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

His best season was 2014.  He failed to throw a td pass in 6 of those games.  That's pathetic.

So you are basing this off stats and saying his rookie year was the best.... got it... ... Going into 2016 he was the talk of the town going into his 3rd year... notorious the year for qbs that make huge jumps and seemed to be heading that way if you believed Minn. beat writers and national media coverage. But maybe you know more...

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

So you are basing this off stats and saying his rookie year was the best.... got it... ... Going into 2016 he was the talk of the town going into his 3rd year... notorious the year for qbs that make huge jumps and seemed to be heading that way if you believed Minn. beat writers and national media coverage. But maybe you know more...

Sorry, those stats were from his 2nd year.

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

????. Ya no. Not spending 22 mil for a backup. Or you proposing we keep teddy and trade Sam ??

No franchise and trade... And its not crazy it has happened a few times at the QB position..most notably Brees... its not stupid.. its smart financing 

8 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHA.  Yes, we will franchise him and be on the hook for $23 million dollars.  I have to get out of this thread.  This is the stupiest sh!t I have ever heard.

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

No franchise and trade... And its not crazy it has happened a few times at the QB position..most notably Brees... its not stupid.. its smart financing 

Dude we been through all of this with the cousins situation. It’s not going to happen. We will take the comp pick if he turns out to A) play, b) play well and healthy of course 

59 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

One is 25 and the other 45.  Its sorta young man's game.

SAR I

They will not franchise and trade.  Franchise figure for QB will likely be north of $27M next year.  The cap is going up and the $23M was before the Cousins, Ryan, Smith and Brees deals.  I think it would be over $25M right now, even if the cap stayed static.  When Rodgers signs his extension it will go way up. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Dude we been through all of this with the cousins situation. It’s not going to happen. We will take the comp pick if he turns out to A) play, b) play well and healthy of course 

Says you... Washington wasn't trying to trade Cousins at first... Completely different. If Teddy wins the Jets 10-11+ games, you are suggesting you just let him walk away?  That is dumb!  If Teddy turns and looks great he is worth a ton. But for a franchise that never had this kind of situation its easy to understand why some fans wouldn't understand that.  

If Teddy starts 16 games Jets HAVE to franchise him. It would be insane not to. You have a QB that wins you games but let him go because we think Darnold is the savior... A joke. Now in my opinion Darnold will be way better but you can't just let assets just leave the building, that is something horrible franchises do like Browns 

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They will not franchise and trade.  Franchise figure for QB will likely be north of $27M next year.  The cap is going up and the $23M was before the Cousins, Ryan, Smith and Brees deals.  I think it would be over $25M right now, even if the cap stayed static.  When Rodgers signs his extension it will go way up. 

So you are willing to let go of a legit NFL QB for the hope that Darnold is better... And this is why the patriots rule the division and league, for giving up known assets for hope of better... Hence the Pats trading Picks for known players...

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

So you are willing to let go of a legit NFL QB for the hope that Darnold is better... And this is why the patriots rule the division and league, for giving up known assets for hope of better... Hence the Pats trading Picks for known players...

It is very simple.  If he is worth more than the franchise figure you use the tag.  If he is not, you don't.  Do you seriously believe that Bridgewater is going to be worth more than $27M in 2019? 

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Headline:  "Bridgewater impresses at OTA's, looks healthy, strong and accurate"

A Chorus of some Jets Fans:  "TRADE HIM!!!"

lol

Haha... And in 50 years the Jets have only won playoff games in 8 of them

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It is very simple.  If he is worth more than the franchise figure you use the tag.  If he is not, you don't.  Do you seriously believe that Bridgewater is going to be worth more than $27M in 2019? 

If he is a legit QB ... Yes easy... its not like the Jets are in cap hell... in fact they probably have the most to spend next off season... Who cares what the short money is... its about assets... what is teddy worth to all the other teams in the league. What makes Darnold automatically better if Teddy has a great year... Let's say better then McCown's last year?

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Darnold needs to play at some point this year and start next year.  McCown is starting week 1.

Teddy doesnt fit here unless McCown gets hurt.

The only QB we know about is McCown.  We also know he is not the future.  But, I'll challenge anyone that says we know for sure Darnold will be the best QB for this team over the longterm.  Teddy Bridgewater was a very good QB his first two seasons before getting hurt.  He's a young guy coming off an injury the same way Drew Brees was, although Brees had an injured throwing shoulder and Teddy injured his knee.  Teddy is still a young guy and IF he recovers fully from this injury he could possibly be one of the Top 10 QBs in this league.  By all accounts the Jets were ready to spend $90+ Million for a Top 10-ish QB this past offseason.

Ask the Saints how they feel about taking a risk on an injured QB.  Ask the Dolphins if they wish they had gone up another $1M in free agency to sign Brees.

Let's hold on to Teddy.  The best "problem" in the world would be that both he and Darnold look like starters this season.  I'd love to have the Wentz-Foles "problem" that the Eagles have.

A lot of people seem to have quickly forgotten that the Jets were a QB starved team for the past decade.  Now, when one young guy looked good in OTA's and our rookie looked confused we want to trade the one performing piece.  Makes zero sense to me.

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 9.57.51 AM.png

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The only QB we know about is McCown.  We also know he is not the future.  But, I'll challenge anyone that says we know for sure Darnold will be the best QB for this team over the longterm.  Teddy Bridgewater was a very good QB his first two seasons before getting hurt.  He's a young guy coming off an injury the same way Drew Brees was, although Brees had an injured throwing shoulder and Teddy injured his knee.  Teddy is still a young guy and IF he recovers fully from this injury he could possibly be one of the Top 10 QBs in this league.  By all accounts the Jets were ready to spend $90+ Million for a Top 10-ish QB this past offseason.

Ask the Saints how they feel about taking a risk on an injured QB.  Ask the Dolphins if they wish they had gone up another $1M in free agency to sign Brees.

Let's hold on to Teddy.  The best "problem" in the world would be that both he and Darnold look like starters this season.  I'd love to have the Wentz-Foles "problem" that the Eagles have.

A lot of people seem to have quickly forgotten that the Jets were a QB starved team for the past decade.  Now, when one young guy looked good in OTA's and our rookie looked confused we want to trade the one performing piece.  Makes zero sense to me.

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 9.57.51 AM.png

Somebody actually gets it...

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

If he is a legit QB ... Yes easy... its not like the Jets are in cap hell... in fact they probably have the most to spend next off season... Who cares what the short money is... its about assets... what is teddy worth to all the other teams in the league. What makes Darnold automatically better if Teddy has a great year... Let's say better then McCown's last year?

You want to franchise him and trade him.  The Jets cap space is of minimal relevance.  Do you expect a team to offer Bridgewater more than $27M in 2019? If a team would offer him that much, what do you think they are going to give up for that privilege?  Is it more than your potential comp pick?  Will you be eligible for comp picks based on the rest of your FA class?   The idea that this is a smart move, you HAVE to make it is extremely misguided. Nobody was going to offer anything for Cousins and he got 3/$84M all guaranteed.  I don't see this big trade market for Bridgewater.

McCown went 5-8, with 3,000 yards.  You don't have to be great to be better than McCown's last year.

Archived