Teddy Bridgewater opens eyes with impressive Jets start

Freemanm

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It is very simple.  If he is worth more than the franchise figure you use the tag.  If he is not, you don't.  Do you seriously believe that Bridgewater is going to be worth more than $27M in 2019? 

We don't know yet.  But let's say he's worth $22M for a team that hasn't had a good, young starting QB in a decade.  You better sign that mutha f'er and not think twice about it.

There's a reason the Eagles didn't trade Foles when they were being offered 2nd round picks for him.

I'm seriously scratching my head over everyone thinking we're now so set at QB that we should start trading pieces.  C'mon fellas.  Does nobody remember years of veteran and rookie experiments with Fitzpatrick, Hack, Petty, McCown, etc.???  We finally have a young, experienced, talented QB in Teddy Bridgewater and just as he's starting to look healthy everyone wants to trade him.  LOL

What if Darnold doesn't adapt to the pros or only becomes a decent QB?  What if he's Andy Dalton?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Says you... Washington wasn't trying to trade Cousins at first... Completely different. If Teddy wins the Jets 10-11+ games, you are suggesting you just let him walk away?  That is dumb!  If Teddy turns and looks great he is worth a ton. But for a franchise that never had this kind of situation its easy to understand why some fans wouldn't understand that.  

If Teddy starts 16 games Jets HAVE to franchise him. It would be insane not to. You have a QB that wins you games but let him go because we think Darnold is the savior... A joke. Now in my opinion Darnold will be way better but you can't just let assets just leave the building, that is something horrible franchises do like Browns 

Lol. Ok I will play along in this dream scenario. Bridgewater somehow is 1 of the best qbs in the league, has to be top 5 to get this current team to 10, 11 wins ??.. But ok, I”ll play your fantasy game. You do know the rules of tagging? If bridgewater, or any qb is that good ya you tag him. But it’s foolish to think you can tag and trade. The player has too many options to screw over the tagging team. Why didn’t wash tag cousins? This board was going nuts over the thought of the idea of paying Cousins and giving up draft picks. If we tag him we are keeping him. Maybe give him a tender instead of wait for the comp pick.

Let’s get back to reality now. Bridgewater was taken at the very end of the 1st round. He has ave arm strength, is not a burner with his feet. He played for a very offensive oriented Team. Playing in a dome where stats ALWAYS inflat stats for qbs.  They had a very good team already around him. He only threw 14 tds. He was a effective game mgr. Think Sanchez. His stats were not even up to what McCown put up with the jets, a very non offensive oriented team. Bridgewater May resurrect his career, but its WAY too early to proposing he is going to play well just because he threw a few nice throws in OTA. 

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Headline:  "Bridgewater impresses at OTA's, looks healthy, strong and accurate"

A Chorus of some Jets Fans:  "TRADE HIM!!!"

lol

I find it amazing that we say "trade him"  instead of "play him".  Teddy can be a very good QB in this league despite what some of the dimwitted here are saying about his stats.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Not to state the obvious, but the Jets need a bonafide starting quarterback. 

And if it's Teddy instead of Sam I could care less.  I don't think any Eagles fans are feeling sad because Nick Foles won them their Super Bowl.  If Teddy Bridgewater plays like Teddy Bridgewater, holy sh-t did we pull of the heist of the century. 

SAR I

Exactly.  You don't hope the guy looks solid just so that you can trade him.  You hope the guy lights it up so the Jets have a Drew Brees and Philip Rivers situation.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

I see the complete opposite.  McCown is a career backup and only on the Jets roster because he's prepared to step back and focus on what his real calling is-  being an NFL offensive coordinator and potential head coach.

If Teddy stays healthy he should easily unseat McCown as the Week 1 starter.  Then McCown and Darnold can focus on the 2019 season while we see what Mr. Bridgewater can do with this 2018 transitional season.

Remember, 5 of our first 6 games are against playoff caliber competition or on the road.  The team can implode very easily if they go 0-4, a distinct possibility, the oddsmakers would see it that way.

SAR I

stop using common sense unless you want to get slapped around in here

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I find it amazibg that we say "trade him"  instead of "play him".  Teddy can be a very good QB in this league despite what dome of the dimwitted here are saying about his stats.

I'm baffled by the reaction of people here.  It's as if people thought the Jets signed him in FA expecting him to be injured and not recover.  Now that he looks good fans don't want him and are looking to trade him.  Teddy B. potentially has a Drew Brees story in front of him.

I'm not saying we shouldn't trade him under any circumstances.  But I'd want to see Darnold start and successfully play in several NFL games before I declare the Jets QB problem solved and then pawn off Teddy B. at the trade deadline.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This makes no sense.  The year McCown had last year is better then any season Bridgewater had.  

Teddy Bridgewater is a bad nfl qb.  Anyone who has watched him knows this.  And the stats prove it.

Bridgewater was 21 at the start of his rookie year and 22 at the start of his second year.  Then he got injured.  He's still only 25 and a former first round pick.  Chances are, we haven't seen the best Teddy Bridgewater.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

I see the complete opposite.  McCown is a career backup and only on the Jets roster because he's prepared to step back and focus on what his real calling is-  being an NFL offensive coordinator and potential head coach.

If Teddy stays healthy he should easily unseat McCown as the Week 1 starter.  Then McCown and Darnold can focus on the 2019 season while we see what Mr. Bridgewater can do with this 2018 transitional season.

Remember, 5 of our first 6 games are against playoff caliber competition or on the road.  The team can implode very easily if they go 0-4, a distinct possibility, the oddsmakers would see it that way.

SAR I

They play Miami, Indianapolis and Denver at home in the first 6 weeks.  Remind which two of those teams are playoff caliber.

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm baffled by the reaction of people here.  It's as if people thought the Jets signed him in FA expecting him to be injured and not recover.  Now that he looks good fans don't want him and are looking to trade him.  Teddy B. potentially has a Drew Brees story in front of him.

I'm not saying we shouldn't trade him under any circumstances.  But I'd want to see Darnold start and successfully play in several NFL games before I declare the Jets QB problem solved and then pawn off Teddy B. at the trade deadline.

If teddy become a pro bowler because we signed him isn’t wishful thinking enough lol. If teddy wins the starting job, how the hec can we see darnold before trade deadline if teddy is playing ??‍♂️. Darnold is likely not ready to start. If teddy or McCown beat him out he likely won’t anyway. Either way judging darnold right away Is not fair either. You probably are not going to start to see anywhere near his best until 3rd, 4th yr. 

I just don’t see Dome qb stats with a team who was very offense supported, translates to winds of MetLife with a Team who views the offensive like a red headed step child. Especially with a qb who has ave arm strength. I’m rooting for teddy B though. Darnold can sit two years. Teddy is only coming back next yr if he is told he will start. By $$.. He probably would want a multi-yr deal. I don’t see the jets doing that. I don’t know if he will be worth the tag, but let’s see

I have low confidence the jets and bowles will do the right thing here.  If Bridgewater looks good he should if not start be up next and fast.  We have nothing to gain by having mccown play this year until darnold takes over.  We have a LOT to gain by having bridgewater play and look good.  We either have more time to groom darnold or we showcase bridgewater in real games.

This team and coach just lover their uber old no future qbs though.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I would very much be happy if Teddy returns to form and makes us a solid and competitive team. At first I wanted to see Darnold start soon but I’m slowly understanding...if Bridgewater can be Bridgewater...we really have the luxury of letting the guy sit as long as we want. We will be a decent team with Teddy at center.

honestly.

If TB turns out to be the best QB on the team, he will start. It’s just that simple. If the Jets continue to win with him and he stays healthy he will continue to start. It’s just that simple. If he has a very good year the Jets will extend his contract and he will be #1 until Sam can perform better than him. You don’t bench or trade a winning QB. It’s not Rocket science. It’s just football. If that’s not the case, plan B. 

A healthy Bridgewater is the best starting Quarterback this team has had since we had a healthy Favre. If Bridgewater beats out Darnold, then start him until we are out of the playoff race, or if some team offers a lot for him.

Darnold is obviously our guy long term, but there is no need to rush him. If Teddy starts, this should relegate McCown to unofficial QB Coach this year, readying him for the official role next year.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

You want to franchise him and trade him.  The Jets cap space is of minimal relevance.  Do you expect a team to offer Bridgewater more than $27M in 2019? If a team would offer him that much, what do you think they are going to give up for that privilege?  Is it more than your potential comp pick?  Will you be eligible for comp picks based on the rest of your FA class?   The idea that this is a smart move, you HAVE to make it is extremely misguided. Nobody was going to offer anything for Cousins and he got 3/$84M all guaranteed.  I don't see this big trade market for Bridgewater.

McCown went 5-8, with 3,000 yards.  You don't have to be great to be better than McCown's last year.

A young QB who is a consistent starter...did you see what Minnesota paid Cousins, who is good but not notably great?

25 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

What is a little worrying for me is.. let’s say Teddy lights it up big time and he starts looking like a long term answer and we trade him and start Darnold eventually..and Darnold turns out to be not as good as Teddy. 

Lol we still lose in the end.

I just don’t see teddy wanting to stay here if he does get his value back. Knowing darnold is here is only part of it. 

I see him going to New Orleans and replacing brees. Brees just turned 39 In jan. Teddy B would love to get back in the dome where he had success. Back on another team that supports Offense 100%. Plus anybody who had a serious knee issue, even after repaired, cold is is a bitchh. 

1 minute ago, Freemanm said:

A young QB who is a consistent starter...did you see what Minnesota paid Cousins, who is good but not notably great?

Cousins has no real injury history and put up several years better than Bridgewater's best.  The Redskins also got zero compensation. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The only QB we know about is McCown.  We also know he is not the future.  But, I'll challenge anyone that says we know for sure Darnold will be the best QB for this team over the longterm.  Teddy Bridgewater was a very good QB his first two seasons before getting hurt.  He's a young guy coming off an injury the same way Drew Brees was, although Brees had an injured throwing shoulder and Teddy injured his knee.  Teddy is still a young guy and IF he recovers fully from this injury he could possibly be one of the Top 10 QBs in this league.  By all accounts the Jets were ready to spend $90+ Million for a Top 10-ish QB this past offseason.

Ask the Saints how they feel about taking a risk on an injured QB.  Ask the Dolphins if they wish they had gone up another $1M in free agency to sign Brees.

Let's hold on to Teddy.  The best "problem" in the world would be that both he and Darnold look like starters this season.  I'd love to have the Wentz-Foles "problem" that the Eagles have.

A lot of people seem to have quickly forgotten that the Jets were a QB starved team for the past decade.  Now, when one young guy looked good in OTA's and our rookie looked confused we want to trade the one performing piece.  Makes zero sense to me.

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 9.57.51 AM.png

Not sure how it works, but can they extend his contract now for at least another year? Might be able to get a better number prior to his being on the field.

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This makes no sense.  The year McCown had last year is better then any season Bridgewater had.  

Teddy Bridgewater is a bad nfl qb.  Anyone who has watched him knows this.  And the stats prove it.

WOW.....

Over 65 percent completion percentage, 3200 yards throwing, 14/9 TD/INT ratio, and a QBR rating of almost 90.  All things improved in the second year.

Let me guess, you're Christian Hackenberg's agent, aren't you?

The man had a decent OTA practice, everyone slow their roll...

I'm rooting hard for Teddy to get the starting job to start the season off, I want him to recover from his freak injury and I'd rather not see Darnold out there to begin with. I know none of that is a guarantee though.

I'm not even close to thinking about next year with him, I'll just assume he's gone and look forward to seeing it all happen over the next four months.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

What is a little worrying for me is.. let’s say Teddy lights it up big time and he starts looking like a long term answer and we trade him and start Darnold eventually..and Darnold turns out to be not as good as Teddy. 

Lol we still lose in the end.

If he looks like a long term answer, then you keep him. No need to get cute and ship him off just because you have a top 3 pick behind him. If he's playing like a franchise QB then you hit the jackpot. 

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

But what about Darnold?

He sits and learns. And prepare to be ready if Teddy gets hurt or moves on in a few years. He's 20 yrs old, you don't have to force him there. He'll get his shot eventually. 

If Terrible Teddy starts we will take the crown from the ravens as the most boring offense in the league.  Robbie Anderson will become irrelevant and the fans will be asleep.

What a nightmare.  It will never happen anyways because McCown, though old and crappy, is still 10 times better then Terrible Teddy.

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If Terrible Teddy starts we will take the crown from the ravens as the most boring offense in the league.  Robbie Anderson will become irrelevant and the fans will be asleep.

What a nightmare.  It will never happen anyways because McCown, though old and crappy, is still 10 times better then Terrible Teddy.

Joe - you been hittin' the sauce again??

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Don't know about you but I'm sick and tired of the NY Jets trotting out the oldest sh*t bag QB in the league and watching an offense that looks like I'm watching paint dry or grass growing, and missing the playoffs for the 9th straight year. 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Don't know about you but I'm sick and tired of the NY Jets trotting out the oldest sh*t bag QB in the league and watching an offense that looks like I'm watching paint dry or grass growing, and missing the playoffs for the 9th straight year. 

So you think a small, weak armed, most conservative qb in the league who in 2 years could not even average 1 td a game is going to bring excitement?

Think about what you are saying.

McCown starts and when he gets hurt or the team is out of contention, Darnold plays.

THe only scenario for bridgewater is if mccown gets hurt real early.  But thinking that teddy is going ot do anything but put you to sleep, well, you obviously havent been paying attention.

Archived