Teddy Bridgewater opens eyes with impressive Jets start

Freemanm

36 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Speaking of lyrical exercise, clearly rhyming and wordplay came naturally to Pun. His breath control for a big guy is even better than the Notorious One. 

Capital Punishment is one of my 3 favorite Hip-Hip albums ever

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

This is obviously the reason the Jets let Hackenberg go....if Bridgewater is looking good, we have our three QB's, making Hackenberg expendable. 

That we didn't have to give anything up for someone to take him was a miracle.

I still dont really get why we need 3 QB..2 is enough...hopefully we lose one before the season starts.

11 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I still dont really get why we need 3 QB..2 is enough...hopefully we lose one before the season starts.

You want 3 QBs for the pre-season. Need we be reminded of the Mark Sanchez/Geno Smith situation when Mark got hurt because Rex wheeled him out there behind the future grocery baggers line?

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

We don't know yet.  But let's say he's worth $22M for a team that hasn't had a good, young starting QB in a decade.  You better sign that mutha f'er and not think twice about it.

There's a reason the Eagles didn't trade Foles when they were being offered 2nd round picks for him.

I'm seriously scratching my head over everyone thinking we're now so set at QB that we should start trading pieces.  C'mon fellas.  Does nobody remember years of veteran and rookie experiments with Fitzpatrick, Hack, Petty, McCown, etc.???  We finally have a young, experienced, talented QB in Teddy Bridgewater and just as he's starting to look healthy everyone wants to trade him.  LOL

What if Darnold doesn't adapt to the pros or only becomes a decent QB?  What if he's Andy Dalton?

foles also had one more year on his very cheap deal.  Teddy doesn't

13 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

honestly i would have kept Hack thru the pre-season just so he could play game 4.  who are you going to play now?  we need a camp arm.

27 minutes ago, King P said:

Capital Punishment is one of my 3 favorite Hip-Hip albums ever

It's definitely one of the tops all-time. I miss the 90's. I remember running to 149th and 3rd ave every time a new DJ Clue mixtape dropped. The Internet in many ways watered down the feeling of new music/music releases. 

The golden age. 

27 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So you think a small, weak armed, most conservative qb in the league who in 2 years could not even average 1 td a game is going to bring excitement?

Think about what you are saying.

McCown starts and when he gets hurt or the team is out of contention, Darnold plays.

THe only scenario for bridgewater is if mccown gets hurt real early.  But thinking that teddy is going ot do anything but put you to sleep, well, you obviously havent been paying attention.

McCown good guy class act older than dirt history speaks for itself and do not want to see an old loser QB 4 years in a row, id rather see Teddy Bridgewater until Sam Darnold is ready. 

20 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

All this trade Bridgewater talk if he is good, **** that trade McCown!

They'd probably get a decent pick back as crazy at it sounds, I think. Feel like after showing what he could do last year plus the word around the league of how he's a good back up/leader/mentor. Some team might value that highly. Though I think the Jets are the team that values it pretty highly lol. 

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

He sits and learns. And prepare to be ready if Teddy gets hurt or moves on in a few years. He's 20 yrs old, you don't have to force him there. He'll get his shot eventually. 

Rodgers sat behind Favre. Steve Young sat behind Montana. Garrapollo sat behind Brady but they traded him, which will hurt them in the long run. He will play when it’s his time and he rises to the top. He might get some games at the end of the year if the Jets are out of the playoffs. Or maybe sooner. 

38 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

Is there a team option in Bridgewater's deal?  If not, how does he have any value as QB currency?  If he bounces back, isn't he just rehabbing and rebuilding his career on the Jets' dime?

In Macc we trust. 

Bridgewater is on the Jets on a one-year show-me deal because the best situation he and his agent could find for him is a team who had already named a 38-year-old QB the starter, and were absolutely certain to be taking a franchise QB hopeful in the top six picks of the draft. People talk about him like he's some great QB. He's not. He's pretty pedestrian. And that was before the injury. 

If the Jets can get a decent pick for him, they should take it and run. 

9 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Teddy Bridgewater opens eyes with impressive Jets start

May 22, 2018 | 7:07pm

The two new Jets quarterbacks had much different performances in the team’s first OTA practice of the year Tuesday.

Rookie Sam Darnold struggled while veteran Teddy Bridgewater, who signed with the team in March, had a strong day.

The two new Jets quarterbacks had much different performances in the team’s first OTA practice of the year Tuesday.

Rookie Sam Darnold struggled while veteran Teddy Bridgewater, who signed with the team in March, had a strong day.What Sam Darnold showed his competition on Jets Day 1 Darnold showed the growing pains expected from a rookie, even one taken No. 3 overall in the draft. He threw a lot of incompletions, had two interceptions (one on a tipped pass) and fumbled a snap. He received the most team reps of any of the quarterbacks, taking 21 snaps.

“It’s Day 1, first time going up against a different defense and putting the offense against 11 guys over there,” coach Todd Bowles said. “All of them have some learning to do and some growing to do. We’ll just keep getting better going forward.”

Bridgewater, who has barely played in two years since a devastating knee injury with the Vikings, moved well in his first Jets practice. He rolled out several times and made some beautiful passes.

“It feels great,” Bridgewater said of his surgically repaired left knee.

Bridgewater played in a Week 15 game last year in Minnesota — making all of two throws — but that was his only action since 2015. He signed a one-year deal with the Jets, joining a crowded quarterbacks room. He is competing with Josh McCown and Darnold for the starting spot.

“I’ve been working with the training staff. We’ve been making some great progress,” Bridgewater said. “The goal is to get better each day. That’s our primary focus right now. That’s my focus as an individual goal, and we’re going to continue to just make those strides.”

McCown took all 13 first-team reps in the practice. Bridgewater got nine reps.

Bridgewater’s health was a bit of a mystery this spring, so Tuesday was an encouraging sign. Bridgewater could push McCown for the starting job or be a trade chip in August if he plays well.

Bridgewater said he is not worried about the quarterback pecking order right now.

“Control what you can control,” Bridgewater said of his approach. “My primary focus is to be the best teammate I can be, be the best caliber player I can be to help the New York Jets win football games. We’re going to continue to push each other in that room, motivate each other and it’s going to trickle down the line with everyone in this locker room.”

Darnold looked like someone whose head is swimming right now as he tries to learn the playbook. He was out of sync with wide receivers, looked rushed at times and would have been sacked twice if it was a full-contact practice.

“We like what we see,” Bowles said. “We’ve only had one day of OTAs. That will be a process going forward. We like what we see in Teddy.”

maybe teddy can keep mccown planted on the bench.  maybe mccown will be the trade bait.

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I mean, his first LP came out in 1993, so I'm not sure if "first time we heard Snoop" is the best wording. 

True. But even that wouldn't be true. I would say the 1st time most people heard Snoop was in 92 when Dre dropped The Chronic (since he was all over that album).

7 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Bridgewater was 21 at the start of his rookie year and 22 at the start of his second year.  Then he got injured.  He's still only 25 and a former first round pick.  Chances are, we haven't seen the best Teddy Bridgewater.

Not only that, but he looked like a legitimately different QB in his third preseason until he got hurt. 

1 minute ago, King P said:

True. But even that wouldn't be true. I would say the 1st time most people heard Snoop was in 92 when Dre dropped The Chronic (since he was all over that album).

I agree, which is why the phrase "first time we heard snoop" being written about a 1998 song seemed absurd to me. Snoop was already a major star by 1998, with two solo studio albums, one of which was one of the best selling hip hop albums of all time. 

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I agree, which is why the phrase "first time we heard snoop" being written about a 1998 song seemed absurd to me. Snoop was already a major star by 1998, with two solo studio albums, one of which was one of the best selling hip hop albums of all time. 

Wrong Deep Cover bro lol. The Deep Cover released in 98 by Big Pun w/ Fat Joe was a remake of the original Deep Cover done by Dre and Snoop, which came out in early 92

1 minute ago, King P said:

Wrong Deep Cover bro lol. The Deep Cover released in 98 by Big Pun w/ Fat Joe was a remake of the original Deep Cover done by Dre and Snoop, which came out in early 92

Of course.

But, the topic of discussion was Big Pun and the YouTube link actually posted in the thread was the 98 Big Pun/Fat Joe version. Hence, the confusion. 

9 hours ago, Skeptable said:

No franchise and trade... And its not crazy it has happened a few times at the QB position..most notably Brees... its not stupid.. its smart financing 

Except Brees was not franchise tagged by the Chargers, nor was he ever traded by anyone. He signed with the Saints as a FA with no tag strings (and incidentally, barely a right shoulder) attached.

17 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its not a rush to play him in the final 5 or 6 games of the year.

I believe he needs to play when he is developmentally ready. Not some made up number.  The coaches also have to figure out how he learns best.  I would reach out to prior coaches.  Nothing wrong with sitting a year if it means a better future. 

18 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

They play Miami, Indianapolis and Denver at home in the first 6 weeks.  Remind which two of those teams are playoff caliber.

I smell 3-0 there, lol. Denver isn't even the same team on the road, Miami lost Suh & Landry, Luck still isn't throwing. I keep telling you guys, Jets could win 5 games in the AFC East if they can split with the Pats.

Trumaine & Morris are gonna be locking down below average WRs in Miami & Buffalo, the new big boys Nathan & Foley are gonna be stuffing the run alongside Leo the Lion.

11 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Not only that, but he looked like a legitimately different QB in his third preseason until he got hurt. 

Unbeknownst to Jet fans most QBs actually develop yearly. I guarantee you Bowles was just giddy watching Teddy run the offense! I was ecstatic watching Josh McCown behind center last year. Just seeing a QB that knows what the hell he's doing should be exciting for Jet fans. 

What is most exciting is that Sam Darnold has these 2 very smart NFL QBs at different levels of their careers. McCowns job here is to specifically bring along our young QB. He's an unselfish mentor who obviously is being groomed for his next life in the NFL as a coach. Teddy is still a young 25 year old still developing QB coming back from a horrific injury & playing for life and future. 

If Teddy does end up starting & playing well, we have plenty of money to keep him or if Sam proves he's ready in 2019, Teddy could be transitioned to recoup our 2nd rounder in the NFL draft which could be a high pick by a QB starved team hoping to have a Drew Brees moment.

12 hours ago, slats said:

Bridgewater is on the Jets on a one-year show-me deal because the best situation he and his agent could find for him is a team who had already named a 38-year-old QB the starter, and were absolutely certain to be taking a franchise QB hopeful in the top six picks of the draft. People talk about him like he's some great QB. He's not. He's pretty pedestrian. And that was before the injury. 

If the Jets can get a decent pick for him, they should take it and run. 

I’d have to think that was the plan the whole time that  he was a hedge bet to prevent having to play McCown too much in case we got a QB in the draft that must sit. 

Nobody this season wanted 8+ Games of McCown this year. Yet even moreso no way in hell the Petty / Hacc incompetency show was gonna hit broadway .

I have  to think they rolled the dice on Teddy for those reasons and now they got their guy of the future they are in a sense playing with house money.

If Teddy can manage to play at a reasonable healthy level and Sam looks ready to play I’m certain whatever team loseses their  starting QB will be made aware of Teddy’s availability. 

This is what I think Jets saw or even hoped for when they signed him . 

Here is a very long, but VERY good analysis of Bridgewater and the offense that he was put in on the Vikings.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2016/film-room-teddy-bridgewater 

In my opinion, everything in that article backs up what a good fit he is for what we want to run.  His arm will never be elite, and in the GIFs in the article you can see some of his balls flutter, but the point they make is how important vision and anticipation are for a QB and how elite he is in those categories which helps make up for him not having a rocket arm.  

I get that his knee was destroyed, but he has had essentially two full years to rehab, strengthen, and get back the trust in his knee - most players come  back after one year.  And i get it, it wasnt a run of the mill injury, but we arent talking about a CB that needs quick twitch, change of direction skills.  

Everyone should be very happy that he looks healthy and is progressing at this point of the offseason.  Hopefully OTAs can help build his confidence going into TC and we can get him and Darnold all the reps possible and see how this thing plays out.

25 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Unbeknownst to Jet fans most QBs actually develop yearly. I guarantee you Bowles was just giddy watching Teddy run the offense! I was ecstatic watching Josh McCown behind center last year. Just seeing a QB that knows what the hell he's doing should be exciting for Jet fans. 

What is most exciting is that Sam Darnold has these 2 very smart NFL QBs at different levels of their careers. McCowns job here is to specifically bring along our young QB. He's an unselfish mentor who obviously is being groomed for his next life in the NFL as a coach. Teddy is still a young 25 year old still developing QB coming back from a horrific injury & playing for life and future. 

If Teddy does end up starting & playing well, we have plenty of money to keep him or if Sam proves he's ready in 2019, Teddy could be transitioned to recoup our 2nd rounder in the NFL draft which could be a high pick by a QB starved team hoping to have a Drew Brees moment.

I would LOVE to see Bridgewater light it up and play great. He starts, McCown backs up 2018.  For 2019, we release McCown and TB starts next year as well while Darnold backs up and gets snaps.  THEN, I would love to be in a position where we have Darnold and TB appears to be a solid top 10 QB and we need to do something.  I can dream can't I???

Archived