Teddy Bridgewater opens eyes with impressive Jets start

Freemanm

Bridgewater playing well is a good thing. I don't understand some of you guys. Think about the QB situation the last few years. Now the Jets may have 3 guys who can play and you act like that's a bad thing. Jet Fan's.......sheesh.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

They play Miami, Indianapolis and Denver at home in the first 6 weeks.  Remind which two of those teams are playoff caliber.

at Lions
Dolphins
at Browns
at Jaguars
Broncos
Colts
Vikings

Denver is thought by many to be a playoff team with Miller and Chubb terrorizing quarterbacks and Case Keenum who led the Vikings to the playoffs.  They whooped us last year.

Indianapolis gets Andrew Luck back, they're a different team when he's healthy.

Miami was a playoff team the last time Tannehill was healthy.  We split with Miami every year.  This could be the L or the W.

Lions, Jags, Vikings are much better teams than we are.

We will be favored to win 1 of those 7 games, 2 at most.

Expect to be 1-3 and a grouchy MetLife crowd watching the Broncos D tear our OL to pieces.  2-5 no matter who our starting quarterback is.  Bridgewater as a young vet who can read a D and improvise gives us our best shot based on what we know now.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

at Lions
Dolphins
at Browns
at Jaguars
Broncos
Colts
Vikings

Denver is thought by many to be a playoff team with Miller and Chubb terrorizing quarterbacks and Case Keenum who led the Vikings to the playoffs.  They whooped us last year.

Indianapolis gets Andrew Luck back, they're a different team when he's healthy.

Miami was a playoff team the last time Tannehill was healthy.  We split with Miami every year.  This could be the L or the W.

Lions, Jags, Vikings are much better teams than we are.

We will be favored to win 1 of those 7 games, 2 at most.

Expect to be 1-3 and a grouchy MetLife crowd watching the Broncos D tear our OL to pieces.

SAR I

Such a rosy outlook for the rest of the league! 

Andrew Luck is 10-12 over the last three seasons.  He hasn't seen the field since New Year;s day 2017.  I quake at the thought of the Colts coming into MetLife with their 30th ranked defense.  

Denver did get Chubb, but Miller started all 16 last year.  They also lost both starting CBs and their leading rusher by 700 yards.  If you live in a world where Case Keenum scares you, I don't know how you get out of bed in the morning. 

The Dolphins were a playoff team in 2016 the way the Jets were a playoff team in 2006.  From that team, they have lost Landry, Suh, Ajayi, Albert, etc.  If you're counting at home, that is their leading rusher, leading receiver and LT. They did add Quinn and revamp their secondary.

The Lions weren't a playoff team either.  I am not saying all these teams are bad, but if you are afraid of this schedule you are a pussy.  By your analysis every team is playoff caliber.  The two toughest teams are the Jags, who we beat last year and Vikings who are not in the first 6 games you were so worried about.  The real problem is the first three games are in such a short time period. 

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Such a rosy outlook for the rest of the league! 

Andrew Luck is 10-12 over the last three seasons.  He hasn't seen the field since New Year;s day 2017.  I quake at the thought of the Colts coming into MetLife with their 30th ranked defense.  

Denver did get Chubb, but Miller started all 16 last year.  They also lost both starting CBs and their leading rusher by 700 yards.  If you live in a world where Case Keenum scares you, I don't know how you get out of bed in the morning. 

The Dolphins were a playoff team in 2016 the way the Jets were a playoff team in 2006.  From that team, they have lost Landry, Suh, Ajayi, Albert, etc.  If you're counting at home, that is their leading rusher, leading receiver and LT. They did add Quinn and revamp their secondary.

The Lions weren't a playoff team either.  I am not saying all these teams are bad, but if you are afraid of this schedule you are a pussy.  By your analysis every team is playoff caliber.  The two toughest teams are the Jags, who we beat last year and Vikings who are not in the first 6 games you were so worried about.  The real problem is the first three games are in such a short time period. 

I could easily see us 3-0 heading into the Jacksonville game or at least 2-1.

I find it laughable that anyone could be afraid of a Miami team without Landry or Ajayi - how exactly are they going to score points?

if Teddy plays well and wins the starting job I would not want to trade him. I know we need some draft picks and there is the financial aspect but if he looks like a franchise quarterback I would prefer to wait and see how Sam turns out before we do anything with Teddy. Most important position is the QB. 

23 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Headline:  "Bridgewater impresses at OTA's, looks healthy, strong and accurate"

A Chorus of some Jets Fans:  "TRADE HIM!!!"

lol

It's truly stunning. I for one am ecstatic that the Jets finally took two bets at the QB position for once. Going all-in has never worked for the Jets... except back before many of us were born.

7 hours ago, jgb said:

It's truly stunning. I for one am ecstatic that the Jets finally took two bets at the QB position for once. Going all-in has never worked for the Jets... except back before many of us were born.

There are plenty of us rooting for Bridgewater - he plays well in the preseason and almost everyone will be on board (and the Jets did draft 3 other QB's in 1965, after Namath)

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

There are plenty of us rooting for Bridgewater - he plays well in the preseason and almost everyone will be on board (and the Jets did draft 3 other QB's in 1965, after Namath)

Count me in!  I hope he sticks.  Guy's carer barely got started and then that terrible injury.  If he recovers and does well, then he'll probably be gone after the season but you never know, and I like having him here because I think he is going to get more snaps than people are predicting.  

On 5/23/2018 at 10:46 AM, CanadaSteve said:

This is obviously the reason the Jets let Hackenberg go....if Bridgewater is looking good, we have our three QB's, making Hackenberg expendable. 

That we didn't have to give anything up for someone to take him was a miracle.

If Bridgewater is healthy I would sign him to an extension and let him battle it out - first with McCown - then with Darnold and may the best man win. Good QB's don't grow on trees and where would the Eagles have been without Foles last year? Gotta have two capable QB's these days, so I wouldn't trade him at all.

On 5/23/2018 at 6:14 PM, Il Mostro said:

Is there a team option in Bridgewater's deal?  If not, how does he have any value as QB currency?  If he bounces back, isn't he just rehabbing and rebuilding his career on the Jets' dime?

Good point.  

According to spotrac  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/teddy-bridgewater-14441/ It's a 1-yr deal for $6M with a $1M guaranteed plus a bunch of unrealistic incentives (1.25M for 3000+ yds, 1.25M for 21 TDs) and a reasonable 0.25M for any game he takes 50% of the snaps. Since its inevitable that McCown will have to leave or miss games, Teddy could do ok with that one.  Says nothing about an option for another year.  The only potential compensation could be a comp pick but I expect Mac to spend on FA next spring so you can pretty much ditch the idea of getting a 2020 comp pick.  Once Mac signs more UFAs than he loses (which I hope he does), it almost guarantees no comp pick.  

Other than signing him to an extension the only option to retain Teddy B. would be the franchise tag. I remember discussing this months ago and thought that the Jets should have negotiated a team option, even at a high dollar value for 2019. Even if it was something like $15 million it would essentially be a reverse insurance policy against Teddy Bridgewater having big success. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Other than signing him to an extension the only option to retain Teddy B. would be the franchise tag. I remember discussing this months ago and thought that the Jets should have negotiated a team option, even at a high dollar value for 2019. Even if it was something like $15 million it would essentially be a reverse insurance policy against Teddy Bridgewater having big success. 

Right. Unfortunately if he does well:

- we’ll want to bring him back but Teddy will want to either start elsewhere or require more from us given The Darnold

- teams will know this and be hesitant to pony up anything significant to trade for him before the end of the year

Not having the ability to control him if he has success is going to cause us to lose him in FA next year for nothing. 

So I think the question to ask is: do we get a compensatory pick for him, and how high can it go?

On 5/23/2018 at 11:22 AM, Jetsplayer21 said:

Let’s think from the player’s point of view and not just ours. If he somehow makes it through a full season healthy, and plays well,there is no way he is coming back to jets. He is going to go somewhere where he is almost guaranteed to start. He will get the offers. If he wins the job though and somehow can ball, sure we could be looking at a decent comp pick in 2020. But Mac may want the draft pick next yr, knowing he May not be here in 2020.

Let's look at it from the GMs perspective.  Even If Bridgewater is serviceable he'll still be damaged goods in the GMs eyes.  He's not gonna get top $, and will have starting opportunities in very few places, unless he is completely off the charts great.  We might be able to extend him on the cheap.  Better than going into next season with Sam and two question marks, once McCown and Bridgewater are gone.

If Teddy plays well this year I think it would be foolish not to franchise him or offer some type of extension. This is not like the Cousins situation, the Redskins did not want to trade Kirk. If we franchise Teddy it would likely be because we want to trade him. Even if it is $27M in one year we’d still have $80M in cap space, which IMO is more money than we will actually be able to spend. I don’t think there are enough good players to go around with teams having so much money. 

I dont think Teddy would land $27M on the open market but if he would sign a 5 year $100M deal with whatever team wants to trade for him I’m sure that team will have no problem giving him $27M in year 1. The worst case scenario is you have 2 QBs on your roster, if Teddy were to play out the 2019 Tag then I think we’d let him walk after the season

20 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Lions, Dolphins, browns, broncos, colts.

That's one of the easiest schedules in the league to start.

If the Jets could shock the Lions out of the gate it would be a huge lift heading into the Dolphins game. 

4 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Let's look at it from the GMs perspective.  Even If Bridgewater is serviceable he'll still be damaged goods in the GMs eyes.  He's not gonna get top $, and will have starting opportunities in very few places, unless he is completely off the charts great.  We might be able to extend him on the cheap.  Better than going into next season with Sam and two question marks, once McCown and Bridgewater are gone.

Some guys have Bridewatef becoming. Pro bowler this yr lol. You also are not thinking in the players eyes. I hate to tell you, ny jets under team Mac/Bowles at winds of met life is far down on free agent qb list. Especially now, knowing he will be behind probably the best qb prospect since Andrew luck .

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

If Teddy plays well this year I think it would be foolish not to franchise him or offer some type of extension. This is not like the Cousins situation, the Redskins did not want to trade Kirk. If we franchise Teddy it would likely be because we want to trade him. Even if it is $27M in one year we’d still have $80M in cap space, which IMO is more money than we will actually be able to spend. I don’t think there are enough good players to go around with teams having so much money. 

I dont think Teddy would land $27M on the open market but if he would sign a 5 year $100M deal with whatever team wants to trade for him I’m sure that team will have no problem giving him $27M in year 1. The worst case scenario is you have 2 QBs on your roster, if Teddy were to play out the 2019 Tag then I think we’d let him walk after the season

Please list the teams who will not only pay $$$ but trade for teddy...?

On 5/23/2018 at 12:13 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

His best season was 2015.  He failed to throw a td pass in 6 of those games.  That's pathetic.

In 7 of those games, he threw more interceptions then tds.

He has a weak arm, he has poor mobility and he is more conservative then if Alex Smith and Chad Pennington had a love child.

I get it though.  You are all excited because he was a 1st round pick and at one point in college, he was supposed to be the second coming.  But he had the worst pro day in the history of pro days, he fell like a rock in the draft and was pedestrian at best the 2 seasons he played.

So basically he's the "Bridge over troubled Waters"

8 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Right. Unfortunately if he does well:

- we’ll want to bring him back but Teddy will want to either start elsewhere or require more from us given The Darnold

Yes, which is why the Jets can't drag their feet with Darnold. I think the ultimate best case scenario is Bridgewater looking great in the preseason and/or starting a couple regular season games, but Darnold taking over as the starter and quickly looking like the franchise QB they believe he will be. And then moving Bridgewater before the trade deadline. 

- teams will know this and be hesitant to pony up anything significant to trade for him before the end of the year

If a team needs a QB, they'll make a deal. I think some of the wishes in this thread are just that, but I do think that a second-day pick could be possible if Teddy looks the part. 

Not having the ability to control him if he has success is going to cause us to lose him in FA next year for nothing. 

So I think the question to ask is: do we get a compensatory pick for him, and how high can it go?

The supposedly secret comp pick formula seems to be that you get comp picks when you lose more free agents than you sign, with pick values assigned based on the size of the contracts of the players you lost. The Jets have a lot of cap room and will likely be very active in the free agent market. Conversely, the Jets have a ton of players on one-year, or the last year of, their deals. If Maccagnan decides to plan for comp picks in 2020, he can maneuver in free agency by targeting players cut from their previous team (they don't count in the comp pick formula) and focus on just a couple or few specific free agents to keep their total number down. If someone signs Bridgewater to be their starter next season, the pick could be in the top 100. 

Unfortunately, I suspect it's far more likely that the Jets sign more free agents than they lose next year, which is why I'd really like to see them trade him before the deadline if they can get something of value for him. A fourth rounder in 2019 would be better than a comp'd third-rounder in 2020. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Yes, which is why the Jets can't drag their feet with Darnold. I think the ultimate best case scenario is Bridgewater looking great in the preseason and/or starting a couple regular season games, but Darnold taking over as the starter and quickly looking like the franchise QB they believe he will be. And then moving Bridgewater before the trade deadline. 

/facepalm

Sure, we finally get a QB who "looks great" and what do Jets fans want to do?  Trade him to play the ultra-green, utterly unproven kid likely sitting at #3 on the depth chart because :reasons:

No sir, what you suggest is absolutely NOT what the Jets should do.  Only a fool would have a team who hasn't had good QB play in over a decade trade away a QB putting forth "looking great" level of play to play a draft pick with no surety of anything.

If Bridgewater looks and plays great, the Bridgewater starts, period, end of story.  McCown can hold Darnolds cock for him on the sidelines, where he belongs.  And Darnold can sit his ass down till he EARNS the #1 spot by being better than the guy IN the #1 spot.

We have Darnold for five years.  We're under absolutely no obligation or need to start him day 1, or week 16, in 2018.

Darnold should "take over" when Darnold earns the right to take over, not a millisecond before that.  If he cannot beat our Bridgewater, he doesn't deserve to start, nor is throwing his unready butt out there to start anyway in his, or our, best interests.

We can only pray Bridgewater "looks great" because it can buy Darnold a year on the bench, which he very much likely needs IMO.

Try to win now while ALSO working towards the future (hopefully under a great Darnold ready to play).

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

/facepalm

Sure, we finally get a QB who "looks great" and what do Jets fans want to do?  Trade him to play the ultra-green, utterly unproven kid likely sitting at #3 on the depth chart because :reasons:

No sir, what you suggest is absolutely NOT what the Jets should do.  Only a fool would have a team who hasn't had good QB play in over a decade trade away a QB putting forth "looking great" level of play to play a draft pick with no surety of anything.

If Bridgewater looks and plays great, the Bridgewater starts, period, end of story.  McCown can hold Darnolds cock for him on the sidelines, where he belongs.  And Darnold can sit his ass down till he EARNS the #1 spot by being better than the guy IN the #1 spot.

We have Darnold for five years.  We're under absolutely no obligation or need to start him day 1, or week 16, in 2018.

Darnold should "take over" when Darnold earns the right to take over, not a millisecond before that.  If he cannot beat our Bridgewater, he doesn't deserve to start, nor is throwing his unready butt out there to start anyway in his, or our, best interests.

We can only pray Bridgewater "looks great" because it can buy Darnold a year on the bench, which he very much likely needs IMO.

Try to win now while ALSO working towards the future (hopefully under a great Darnold ready to play).

Darnold is the future of this team, not Bridgewater. Bridgewater represents a potential future asset. They shouldn't squander that. Get what you can for him when you can. 

Mac and Bowles are married to Darnold. His success or failure determines the status of their future employment. Getting Darnold up to speed ASAP has to be their #1 priority. They can't sit on their hands and wait for some magic moment when they determine him to be ready, they have to throw him into the fire at some point - that point being sooner rather than later. 

In a salary cap league driven by QB play, the easiest road to a championship is building a team around a franchise QB on his rookie deal. You do that by having that QB play. They have a four-year window starting now to make that happen. You can't waste one of those years. You can't delay his development. This is a top QB prospect. Those guys get on the field. 

Merely being competitive with a game-managing Teddy Bridgewater at the helm doesn't help Mac, Bowles, or the franchise. Pushing Darnold forward helps everyone. Players get better by playing, and Darnold getting better as close to immediately as possible has to be the mission. 

If they can somehow get a pick for Bridgewater in the process, that's just gravy. 

Just now, slats said:

Darnold is the PRESUMED POTENTIAL future of this team

Fixed that for you.  Today, Darnold is just a kid whose never taken an NFL-level snap that mattered.  

We all HOPE he will be the long and successful future of this franchise.  Today, he's just a looooooot of hype and little else.

He need to earn his job, earn his hot air hype by some fans.  

Just now, slats said:

Bridgewater represents a potential future asset. They shouldn't squander that. Get what you can for him when you can.

Typical Jets Fan "grass is always greener" sillyness.

IF (huge if tbqh) Bridgewater is looking and is playing great, it would be peak Same Old Jets to trade him for some palty mid-to-late-round conditional pick (all he'd ever be worth in a trade) and to rush Darnold in before he's remotely ready, and then sh*t the bed the rest of the year.

The only thing more peak SOJ would be the endless threads about how "Manning played bad too early on so it's all ok" hurfablurf.

Just now, slats said:

Mac and Bowles are married to Darnold. His success or failure determines the status of their future employment.

How very sad.

They should be married to winning football games.

Just now, slats said:

Getting Darnold up to speed ASAP has to be their #1 priority. They can't sit on their hands and wait for some magic moment when they determine him to be ready, they have to throw him into the fire at some point - that point being sooner rather than later.

If he's not ready, he's not ready.  

Also, lol at the idea of Bowles getting anyone better as a QB.  Please, my sides, lolz.

Just now, slats said:

In a salary cap league driven by QB play, the easiest road to a championship is building a team around a franchise QB on his rookie deal.

Of the past say, 20 Super Bowl winners, how many were won by QB's on their rookie deals?

Just now, slats said:

You do that by having that QB play.

Not if he's not ready to do so.

Just now, slats said:

They have a four-year window starting now to make that happen. You can't waste one of those years. You can't delay his development. This is a top QB prospect. Those guys get on the field.

They get on the field because they're better than the other guys and (generally) teams have crappy "other guys" along side him (like McCown for example).

Just now, slats said:

Merely being competitive with a game-managing Teddy Bridgewater at the helm doesn't help Mac, Bowles, or the franchise.

Making the playoffs and competing once there helps them far more than going 2-14 under Sam Darnold.

Or we already at the point, before a single snap is taken, where you're thinking Danrold is already a playoff level QB?  Maximum hype!

Just now, slats said:

Pushing Darnold forward helps everyone. Players get better by playing, and Darnold getting better as close to immediately as possible has to be the mission.

So in your world, if Teddy B is playing great, it's better for the Jets to suck for a couple years under Darnold so he can "learn" and "get better" on the hope he becomes great, than to sit him for one season and compete for the postseason under Bridgewater THEN look at Darnold in 2019 if he's made any progress?

This sounds alot like the "Suck for Sam" theory that the only way to ever be good is to lose every game until that special moment when we somehow have the best team in the NFL and then and only then do we try to compete.

Just now, slats said:

If they can somehow get a pick for Bridgewater in the process, that's just gravy. 

Yep, that conditional 6th rounder, that's going to make the difference!

Best players playing the best should play.  Only in Jets Fandom is being unready and playing worse than your competitors is something to applaud.

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

If the Jets could shock the Lions out of the gate it would be a huge lift heading into the Dolphins game. 

I just wish the Lions game wasn't a Monday nite game. Gives us a short week for the Dolfags game.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Making the playoffs and competing once there helps them far more than going 2-14 under Sam Darnold.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yep, that conditional 6th rounder, that's going to make the difference!

You're all over the place. Bridgewater is competitive in the playoffs on the same team that Darnold would be 2-14, and yet he's only worth a conditional 6th round pick? Lol, whatever. 

Top QB prospects play. That's what you do with them. 

9 minutes ago, slats said:

You're all over the place. Bridgewater is competitive in the playoffs on the same team that Darnold would be 2-14, and yet he's only worth a conditional 6th round pick? Lol, whatever. 

We started with a theoretical situation where Teddy B was "playing great" and Darnold was not.

Please try and keep up.

Top QB prospects play. That's what you do with them. 

Unless they're not ready to play at the pro level.  Then they sit.  

We've tried the "start the draft pick who wasn't remotely ready" a number of times.  They never got great because of it, Geno, Sanchez, etc.

The best QB in recent Jets fan memory, Chad, sat.  Rightfully so, he wasn't the best QB and he wasn't ready.  Sitting certainly didn;t hurt a certain Packers QB.  Or Tom Brady.  The "Manning Method" is not the only way to handle a top QB prospect.

Look, we all WANT Darnold to kick ass and win the job.  No one wants Teddy B. to be the best QB come camp, we all want Darnold to be.  We all want to see him start.

But if Teddy B is playing great, and Darnold is playing like sh*t, like a green kid who clearly needs time, then I'm sorry, I'm not selling off 2018 before the first snap of week one to please the section of our fanbase who has bought in to the theory than only sucking leads to titles.  

You try and win, every game, of every season.  When Darnold is ready to play at the pro level, and gives us, if not the best chance, a legit chance to win games, he should play.  Not before that.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We started with a theoretical situation where Teddy B was "playing great" and Darnold was not.

When Teddy was playing great, he was a game-manager. 

If you think/thought it was something more, why would we only get a conditional sixth-round pick for him? 

Like I said, you're all over the place. 

I don't need Darnold to be a Day One starter, but he needs to be in the starting line-up, ready or not, this year. The sooner the better. And then he needs to be hitting the ground running in 2019 as the team's entrenched starting QB. 

3 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

I just wish the Lions game wasn't a Monday nite game. Gives us a short week for the Dolfags game.

Miami doesn't scare me at all, no Landry, no Suh, Tannyhill hasn't played in a WHILE, McCown knows Bates offense, Trumaine & Clairborne will be locking down a weak Fins passing attack & the game is at home. 

Jets win Lions game...house money. Dolphins at home, Browns on Road, @ Jags, tough, tough game, home vs Broncos who haven't played well on the road in a while & theyre traveling East. @ Colts (one of the worst defenses in football).

Jets win opener on MNF...5-1 after 6, NFL shocker!

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Miami doesn't scare me at all, no Landry, no Suh, Tannyhill hasn't played in a WHILE, McCown knows Bates offense, Trumaine & Clairborne will be locking down a weak Fins passing attack & the game is at home. 

Jets win Lions game...house money. Dolphins at home, Browns on Road, @ Jags, tough, tough game, home vs Broncos who haven't played well on the road in a while & theyre traveling East. @ Colts (one of the worst defenses in football).

Jets win opener on MNF...5-1 after 6, NFL shocker!

Man that would be nice to win the opener. Build up some confidence and sey the tone for the whole year. 

21 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Please list the teams who will not only pay $$$ but trade for teddy...?

Well I wouldn’t have said the Vikings would be the team to trade a first and a fourth for Bradford so I’m not sure I could accurately pin point a team for Teddy. All you’d need to net in return is a 3rd or higher (higher than the comp pick for letting him walk)

On 5/23/2018 at 9:47 AM, The Crimson King said:

Somehow, I think Bridgewater starts week 1, maybe the whole year

can't wait to see both Bridgewater and Darnold in pre season games 

Somehow I think that’s too logical for Bowles to follow. Watch the ancient McCown start 16 games while we go 7-9. He’ll even start the season finale when there is absolutely nothing left to play. That right there makes no sense so I guess it’s happening!

Archived