Jets Minicamp Day 3

Patriot Killa

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

That's it?! That was short. Lame. 

Feel like Damon Harrison is a ticking time-bomb on the Giants. It's weird.

Yeah, light day. 

And yes it is weird...Snacks is suppose to be a good character guy...probably just got heated and competitive out there..happens sometimes.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah, light day. 

And yes it is weird...Snacks is suppose to be a good character guy...probably just got heated and competitive out there..happens sometimes.

What might have Hernandez done to have pissed him that much? You dont slug someone for no reason..,

40 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Dennis Waszak Jr. (@DWAZ73)

6/14/18, 11:29 AM

Neville Hewitt made a really nice diving INT on a pass from Darnold over the middle to Leggett, who had the ball go through his hands. Hewitt will be a nice piece on defense and ST. #Jets

59 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Dumb question:  Are the reporters barred from shooting clips of team 7 on 7 or 11 on 11 drills?  It seems like all we see are the positional drills.

You aren't allowed to film after the first 20 minutes of practice

7 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

If Sterling can be a legit contributor at TE and 1 of the other options (Leggett, Herndon, etc) emerges, we might have a decent enough receiving corps

Everyone was freaking out over losing ASJ. ASJ only had 350 yards receiving last year. I am fairly confident at least 1 of these guys can match that and may actually be capable of holding onto the ball long enough to be credited with some TDs. 

Jets WRs tired of catching flak, ready to surprise critics

12:03 PM ET
  • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer
  •  
  •  

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Six years ago, the New York Jets' receiving corps was so bad that cornerback Antonio Cromartie volunteered to help out as a two-way player -- a not-so-grand gesture that insulted some of the receivers.

Robby Anderson (11) is one of four receivers on the Jets' roster with an 800-yard receiving season, and if the spring is any indication, Chad Hansen could be on his way to joining that group. AP Photo/Lynne Sladky, File

The current cast of characters is better than that ragtag group -- any Chaz Schilens fans out there? -- but it's certainly not getting any love from the so-called experts. Surely you're aware of the narrative:

They don't have a true No. 1 receiver. ... There aren't enough weapons to help Sam Darnold develop.

There's some truth to the chatter, but this receiving corps, if healthy, is better than you think. A lot better, according to the players, who seem to be taking notes on the perceived slights.

"It's the tags, man," Jermaine Kearse said. "We don't have anybody with a tag that says 'elite receiver.' We don't have any first-rounders or anything like that. No Pro Bowls. But that doesn't mean we can't get the job done. At the end of the day, we're playmakers and that's what we're going to do. I mean, watch the film and you'll find out. You'll just see."

Kearse is right about one thing: The Jets have no receivers with a blue blood pedigree. He and Robby Anderson were undrafted out of college. Quincy Enunwa was a sixth-round pick. Terrelle Pryor was a supplementary draft pick ... as a quarterback. Chad Hansen, climbing the depth chart with a terrific spring, was a fourth-round pick.

You might say it's a group of misfits and castoffs, but the Jets have something on every other receiving corps in the NFL. They're the only team with four wide receivers on its current roster who have produced at least one 800-yard season in their careers, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Pryor, Anderson, Kearse and Enunwa are members of the 800 club.

"And we have no talent," Enunwa said sarcastically upon learning of that factoid.

He shook his head.

"Everybody says, 'Oh, the Jets don't have the weapons' or whatever," Enunwa said. "I'm excited to show them we have the guys who can make plays. I think it'll be a good season for us if we're all healthy and doing what we're supposed to do."

There are a couple of health concerns. The biggest is Pryor, who underwent recent arthroscopic surgery on his surgically repaired right ankle. He's sitting out the spring, and there's a real chance he won't be ready for training camp in late July. Enunwa is recovering from 2017 neck surgery, but he's trending toward being cleared for training camp. He just started practicing with his helmet in noncontact positional drills, an encouraging sign.

The Jets have enough depth to withstand an injury; it's not like they have to run out and sign Dez Bryant if someone goes down. The real question is whether they have enough firepower to affect defensive coverage. Without a true star, it'll be up to offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates to deploy them in a way that creates favorable matchups. Instead of feeding one mouth -- see: the Brandon Marshall years -- they can spread it around to three or four players on a weekly basis. A balanced attack can cause problems, too.

"We all can do a lot of things, and that's what makes us tough -- or what I believe will be tough to deal with," Kearse said. "We're going to get the ball to our playmakers. We've got a couple of them. A lot of them."

18 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Everyone was freaking out over losing ASJ. ASJ only had 350 yards receiving last year. I am fairly confident at least 1 of these guys can match that and may actually be capable of holding onto the ball long enough to be credited with some TDs. 

ASJ was mediocre.  Knowledable fans were not fraking out over losing him.  Most were glad to see him go at the price he was looking for.

11 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

#Jets running backs coach Stump Mitchell with glowing praise for Eli McGuire, compares his talent potential to LaDainian Tomlinson. "He can do it all."

That's not something to say lightly

He worked with McGuire a lot last summer in camp. Mitchell seems to really like him.

2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Will there be a Jets West with Sam the Man playing the role of The Sanchize?

Considering Darnold's personality whatever he does will be kept very quiet

As far as the Jets WR’s go both a healthy Enunwa, and Kearse are very good middle of the field guys who can get open on those 3rd down crucial plays, all 3 Anderson (elite), healthy Pryor, and Hansen can take the top off the D, both Anderson, and Enunwa have shown flashes of being dynamic WR’s all over the field, the Jets staff is super stoked about what they see in Hansen as he learns the route tree, and think he will be a major player in the future hope they are correct.  To me Stewart was a reach, a bad draft pick, and wouldn’t be shocked if he doesn’t make the 53 man roster.  Extreme, and I mean extreme long shot prayer at the position could be if Devin Smith is finally healthy, and mentally over all the injuries, and capable of physically, and mentally be the player the Jets drafted, it sucks that he has been that guy who never was healthy, BUT I can’t kill the Jets for the draft pick he had the talent to be a DeSean Jackson type WR so the Jets drafted a good worthy talent in that spot IMO he just got hit with the injury bug, I remember in his rookie training camp he was basically running free all over the Jets secondary, and Geno Smith, and Petty were hooking up with him left, and right until he had that unfortunate collision going for a jump ball breaking his jaw, or whatever, when he returned it was very clear he was behind on the playbook, and running routes on the same page with sh*tzpatrick who didn’t have the arm strength to match Devin’s speed, and the timing with him from lack of practice reps together to gauge when, and where to throw the ball, Smith also was equally to blame as I stated above.  Yes again Devin Smith is an extreme long shot to be a contributor for the 2018 Jets, but I’d point to a guy like Paul Richardson who had a similar injury plaqued first few years, and then coming on once healthy, Smith has missed much more time, but that’s the example I can use to hold out for a sliver of hope for him.  Even without Devin making a surprise contribution the WR’s as a group when healthy should not be an issue as long as our OC isn’t running the Brian Schitty offense, and route combinations.

14 minutes ago, KRL said:

Considering Darnold's personality whatever he does will be kept very quiet

2 minutes ago, thshadow said:

I was about to say the exact same thing.  If something like that happens, it's not going to be done for publicity.

It also will not be organized by Darnold, IMO Sam is smart enough to know he isn’t QB1 as of now, and the Jets have a 17 year, or however many years it is veteran Josh McCown returning from a season where he was QB1, and named QB1 for the start of camp, and he won’t step over Josh like that it could easily be taken as a slight to Josh from the veterans on the team not just Josh.  NOW I firmly believe the Jets have unofficially asked Josh to hold something like this while inviting Sam, and Teddy also, and probably will be something you won’t hear about until it is actually happening, don’t see it being a Jets West advertisement thing like Sanchez used to do, it will probably be quiet, and catch very little attention prior to it happening.  I will be very disappointed if I don’t hear that McCown didn’t try, and organize something at the very least with Darnold.

Archived