ok,so, who's already had a Colonoscopy?

1 minute ago, Hackenberg said:

Well , yes, I found that out yesterday  or the day before.

My Doc told me as soon as I snapped out of it while still in the facility. It's obviously good to know. Having my 2nd one soon. We can compare notes ten years from now. lol

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Hackenberg said:

53, this was my first. It' what I get for going to the doctor and saying I was constipated.

But its over.

Don't think that way. Early detection is the key. Better safe than sorry. Nothing worse than them saying "there's nothing we can do, sorry. You've got X months left. "

3 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Don't think that way. Early detection is the key. Better safe than sorry. Nothing worse than them saying "there's nothing we can do, sorry. You've got X months left. "

Doesn't  explain what these are and the whys and wherefores.  53 years and they found one thing, they snipped and said it' not a thing to worry about...if I left it there, does it become something?  Does it cause others? My mom said  she had one or two things and one was larger and it was nothing. .they checked her again 10 or what ever years later  and she had none.

So what is it and how did it get there? I'm  kind of surprised. I'e eaten a lot of junk in 50 years lol. My dad was overweight (om not) and ate junk most of life but he didn' have that issue...he just eventually got old and now wouldn't  necessarily  know who I am. Just age, not like total alzheimers....does spell check even know that word?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Whats a positive dream? Did you ejaculate lol? 

I wish.  Although I'm not sure how that would have gone over (pun intended) with the gang in the endoscopy suite.  I no longer recall the exact dream, but still remember it as a serene, upbeat experience.  Several friends/acquaintances have had similar experiences. 

1 hour ago, Hackenberg said:

Doesn't  explain what these are and the whys and wherefores.  53 years and they found one thing, they snipped and said it' not a thing to worry about...if I left it there, does it become something?  Does it cause others? My mom said  she had one or two things and one was larger and it was nothing. .they checked her again 10 or what ever years later  and she had none.

So what is it and how did it get there? I'm  kind of surprised. I'e eaten a lot of junk in 50 years lol. My dad was overweight (om not) and ate junk most of life but he didn' have that issue...he just eventually got old and now wouldn't  necessarily  know who I am. Just age, not like total alzheimers....does spell check even know that word?

We've ALL eaten a lot of junk during our lifetime.  It's how are bodies react to it that's important.

BTW: We just got back from Oregon. Portland for 4 days (wife's convention) then Mitchell (Painted Hills) then Ontario and into Idaho. 

• Post of the Week 1

On 6/25/2018 at 2:38 PM, munchmemory said:

I had one this past November.  Not a big deal at all.  One small polyp which was benign (almost everyone has one which they remove). This coming from someone who had really been fearing the procedure.  

You will feel absolutely nothing as you will be out during the colonoscopy.  Nice side benefit is that the drugs they administer to knock you out make you feel really awesome when you wake up.  They also allow you to have really positive dreams when you're out.  Both my doctor and the nurses said this would happen and it sure as hell did.  

Prep also is not as bad as it once was.  I would strongly suggest investing in flushable wipes and hemorrhoid ointment to keep that most delicate of areas from getting too irritated and painful.  Worked wonders for me.

Good luck.  Enjoy the drug euphoria afterwards.  I'm sure you will have nothing to worry about.

Only the weak are out.  I took no sedative at all when I had mine.  Watched it on the tv screen.

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Only the weak are out.  I took no sedative at all when I had mine.  Watched it on the tv screen.

That's very manly and interesting. I didn't realize there was a choice. I had none (choice) on my only one, that I can remember. It was 10 years ago but I need to make an appointment this week.

I remember the Doc just giving me pills to take to flush me out beforehand . The wife has to drink gallons of putrid tasting crap. She was pissed for months. lol

9 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

That's very manly and interesting. I didn't realize there was a choice. I had none (choice) on my only one, that I can remember. It was 10 years ago but I need to make an appointment this week.

I remember the Doc just giving me pills to take to flush me out beforehand . The wife has to drink gallons of putrid tasting crap. She was pissed for months. lol

I had to do what your wife had to do and that was the worst part.

Yeah you can ask to not be sedated and if you can handle it and not move around they will let you but if you get ansty they then will hit you up , at least that is how it was for me. 

I really do not like any sedation at all if i can get away with it.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah you can ask to not be sedated and if you can handle it and not move around they will let you but if you get ansty they then will hit you up , at least that is how it was for me. 

I don't blame you. Too much risk of something/someone screwing up. Lost a Siamese cat that way as they screwed it up as he was getting fixed.

My wife TOTALLY agrees that the drinking the "stuff" is the worst part.

How do you know any colonoscopy is taking place physically? You'll read words on a consent form, watch something on a monitor and assume it happened. What photos? Show me the co-payment! You haven't thought anything through. Are you going to attend it? Nope.

23 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I've had 2, started young due to diverticulitis. Had to deal with that awful fleet soda, first time i took a swig of that stuff I painted the wall in the bathroom with my puke. Had a rough time choking that stuff down. The procedure went fine. I told the doc if I felt 2 hands on my shoulders we were going to have words. At the end of the procedure the first time, in my high from the anesthesia, from the waiting room on my way out I stuck my head through the reception window, called out to the doc and thanked him for his gentle and warm touch. Lol, my mom was there to drive me home and she was mortified.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Ok turned 50. Petrified.....

can anyone tell me or link me to a reason its not needed or an alternative? My coworker said its crazy to have such an invasive procedure when youve been healthy forever.

i know this will stir up crap but i want to know the facts

On Monday I had my 2nd one. 1st was 10 yrs earlier. I'm now good for another 10 years from what they told me. 

Doc asked me if there was any history of colon cancer. I said no. I think that's a key part. If there IS a history of it DON'T WAIT get it done NOW. Nothing worse than them telling you that you have colon cancer and there's nothing that can be done. You waited too late.

If there is not ANY history in the family I would think you could wait a few years 3? 5? . I did with my 1st one.

Good luck.

Ok I reseaRCHED this...... INTERESTING

So, colonoscopies are an American thing.

They dont do them routinely in Europe and Israel. Thats a powerful statement.

Furthermore, there is a simple, cheap smear test that is 70% effective. If you get that done every year, it is technically more accurate that a colonoscopy every 10. 

Additionally, there is a new test on the market called colonguard. You dump into a plastic tub and it gets sent to a lab for deep analyizing (no pun intended) with DNA involved. Its very accurate and needed every 3 years. No insurance? 600 bucks. Most insurances do cover it though.

So my plan is colonguard every 3 years and the simple test every year. Even if I have to pay out of pocket somewhat, Id rather that than some brutal homoerotic invasion that will leave me scarred for life. Sure, if something pops up in those tests, then ill get one. I have little cancer history in my family

On 10/1/2018 at 3:02 PM, HighPitch said:

Furthermore, there is a simple, cheap smear test that is 70% effective. If you get that done every year, it is technically more accurate that a colonoscopy every 10. 

Additionally, there is a new test on the market called colonguard. You dump into a plastic tub and it gets sent to a lab for deep analyizing (no pun intended) with DNA involved. Its very accurate and needed every 3 years. No insurance? 600 bucks. Most insurances do cover it though.

So my plan is colonguard every 3 years and the simple test every year. Even if I have to pay out of pocket somewhat, Id rather that than some brutal homoerotic invasion that will leave me scarred for life. Sure, if something pops up in those tests, then ill get one. I have little cancer history in my family

Is the colonguard similar to a gutter leaf guard ? Just kidding. Gotta think at $600 it's a lot cheaper for the insurance than a full colonoscopy.

Another obvious choice would be to simply move to Europe or Israel. lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 3:02 PM, HighPitch said:

Didnt know about the new tests, had a colonoscopy and endoscopy last month, due to some pain I've been having in right side. It's no big deal at all. I would go with whatever the gold standard is, colon cancer is easily treatable of caught early. The worst part was waiting for biopsy results. 

I can't imagine why you would equate it to a "homo erotic invasion" as an adult though, sounds like something an insecure about his sexuality teenager would say tbh.

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Didnt know about the new tests, had a colonoscopy and endoscopy last month, due to some pain I've been having in right side. It's no big deal at all. I would go with whatever the gold standard is, colon cancer is easily treatable of caught early. The worst part was waiting for biopsy results. 

I can't imagine why you would equate it to a "homo erotic invasion" as an adult though, sounds like something an insecure about his sexuality teenager would say tbh.

Because im super immature 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Scheduling my second. I am oddly looking forward to the idea of flushing my system out. I feel like it gives me a fresh start.

Just had my 2nd in Sept. Yea it flushed everything out reeeal good. Wish I could have maintained that lower weight. lol I'm good now for another 10 years.

Good luck with yours.

• 9 months later...

Simply if you have a history of colon cancer in your family, it's a good idea.Otherwise be guided by your doctor's opinion. You'll have 1 unhappy evening of jello and green stuff and some crapping, and an hour or 2 of discomfort the next day. That's it. Colon cancer if caught early is very treatable. Recall Vince Lombardi, for example, died of colon cancer. And had he gotten this simple  procedure early he would have lived another couple of decades. 

6 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Simply if you have a history of colon cancer in your family, it's a good idea.Otherwise be guided by your doctor's opinion. You'll have 1 unhappy evening of jello and green stuff and some crapping, and an hour or 2 of discomfort the next day. That's it. Colon cancer if caught early is very treatable. Recall Vince Lombardi, for example, died of colon cancer. And had he gotten this simple  procedure early he would have lived another couple of decades. 

Most doctors are some combination of apathetic, lazy or stupid. Get it done regardless as routine screening. As you said, it's extremely treatable if caught early, not so much if you are getting symptoms.