Mehta: Jets’ Adams Will be “Force” in 2018

JetNation

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

He's the next Eric Berry.  I honestly think so. 

I'll always consider the opportunity cost of not taking Lattimore there.  Who btw would've saved us $14 million cap savings because we wouldn't need trumaine Johnson.  And I know how nebulous nonsense it sounds but the NYJ really need culture changing guys.  Darnold on offense and Adams on defense are the best shot we've had since Chad Pennington's positivity which had a real impact on this team in a good and tangible way. 

Sam and Jamal can transcend the quagmire of negativity if they play up to their abilities and can bring legitimacy to this franchise.  So I'll take the rah-rah where I can.

He has to be able to cover decently and he MUST generate turnovers.  So far he has shown nothing to suggest he is Eric Berry.  I hope you are right but at this point he is nothing special for being the 6th pick in the draft.  6th overall.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He has to be able to cover decently and he MUST generate turnovers.  So far he has shown nothing to suggest he is Eric Berry.  I hope you are right but at this point he is nothing special for being the 6th pick in the draft.  6th overall.

Adams wasn’t a big ball hawk in college either 

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

I'll always consider the opportunity cost of not taking Lattimore there.  Who btw would've saved us $14 million cap savings because we wouldn't need trumaine Johnson.  And I know how nebulous nonsense it sounds but the NYJ really need culture changing guys.  Darnold on offense and Adams on defense are the best shot we've had since Chad Pennington's positivity which had a real impact on this team in a good and tangible way. 

Sam and Jamal can transcend the quagmire of negativity if they play up to their abilities and can bring legitimacy to this franchise.  So I'll take the rah-rah where I can.

Next Eric Berry?  More like a glorified Eric Smith with a twitter account 

"Pro Football Focus did not grade Maye highly, which surprises me. My eyes tell me he is better than how they graded him. He was their 80th-ranked safety out of 89"

cos you focused on the few plays he made and gave free passes for absolutely sucking in coverage.

always late to the ball.

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

"Pro Football Focus did not grade Maye highly, which surprises me. My eyes tell me he is better than how they graded him. He was their 80th-ranked safety out of 89"

cos you focused on the few plays he made and gave free passes for absolutely sucking in coverage.

always late to the ball.

They must have got him confused with Adams

I get that some people don't like Adams' mouth and ego (I'm not a big fan of the yapping myself), but are we really going to define a player's NFL ceiling entirely by their rookie season?
You must be new here ...

Trust me, getting the whole of your first season taken into account is impressive. Some guys get written off before the preseason games are done.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Am I reading some of these right???  Do some of you really actually think this kid is going to be a glorified box safety?  The kid is going to be a stud.  Period.  I'm assuming the people calling him a box safety and this and that never watched him play in college because that's what he's going to be, an all around do it all safety very much worthy of the 6th overall pick.  I would even say to give him 3 years before placing any kind of judgement but I think he'll showcase his full skill set this season.

23 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I certainly hope he’s right, but there’s no reason to trust anything Mehta says about anything.

especially with Bowles and Rodgers coaching the defense. Two guys who have shown nothing with some talented players on D

22 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I suspect it's a little more transparent than that. It's when he says something negative about anything Jets-related then he's stupid, but when he says something positive he's smart. JMO. 

Opening of camp, doesn't want these guys to hate him yet. 

12 hours ago, MykePM said:

I get that some people don't like Adams' mouth and ego (I'm not a big fan of the yapping myself), but are we really going to define a player's NFL ceiling entirely by their rookie season?

He has already defined his owns ceiling.  Most fans are just posting reasonable rebuttle.  If he was as quiet as Marcus Maye he would get 10% of the flak he is getting but also not he was the 6th overall pick in the draft.  When you are picking a safety that high  he better be really good and really very quickly.

Both Maye and Adams are looking like they will be very very good. I don't care if they make the pro bowl (they will) or generate a lot of turnovers (Maye will get more than Adams) but they will both be very very good players. You can already see it after their rookie seasons. And I'm glad we have them regardless of where they were drafted, because, well, they are going to be very very good.

Next topic. 

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He has already defined his owns ceiling.  Most fans are just posting reasonable rebuttle.  If he was as quiet as Marcus Maye he would get 10% of the flak he is getting but also not he was the 6th overall pick in the draft.  When you are picking a safety that high  he better be really good and really very quickly.

It's one thing to doubt whether "The President" will be as good as he says he will be (making the Pro Bowl every year).  It's another to flat out say he'll never show any improvement over the coverage skills he showed as a rookie, and will only ever be a "box safety".  Players have been known to get better in years 2 and 3 of their career.  

I wouldn't call that type of analysis "reasonable", although I will admit that Adams does invite a strong backlash by repeatedly writing checks with his mouth that he may never be able to cash.

On 7/20/2018 at 3:17 PM, PepPep said:

Both Maye and Adams are looking like they will be very very good. I don't care if they make the pro bowl (they will) or generate a lot of turnovers (Maye will get more than Adams) but they will both be very very good players. You can already see it after their rookie seasons. And I'm glad we have them regardless of where they were drafted, because, well, they are going to be very very good.

Next topic. 

And I wouldn't mind having 2 above average at worst safeties in a league where teams are passing the majority of the time.

maneesh is building them up so he can knock them down.  maybe adams will be the force he thinks he is.  afterall he was the 6th player taken in his draft, but maneesh is probably priming him to become the jets spokesman during the season much like marshall was a couple of years ago.  it's a trap.  best not to say anything to the press.

very very good. 

how you woud your measure that? rank in the top half of safeties? 

2 per team is 64 total. good would be, say, top half? please advise. 

cos they were way down the PFF ranks...  which i trust moprn i do those with the JetThink lenses whose bar is so low.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

maneesh is building them up so he can knock them down.  maybe adams will be the force he thinks he is.  afterall he was the 6th player taken in his draft, but maneesh is probably priming him to become the jets spokesman during the season much like marshall was a couple of years ago.  it's a trap.  best not to say anything to the press.

Mehta is a Macagnan/Bowles cheerleader.  Not surprising he’s predicting greatness for a safety who had 63 tackles as a full time starter and 0.0 picks just cuz this regime was dumb enough to blow a top 6 draft pick on him

On 7/19/2018 at 10:00 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

Boy whoever came up with the buzz term "box safety" should get punched right in the face.

Its right up ther with "QB room" or "WR Room" in the super annoying, completely played out crap department.

And keep repeating it like a broken record.  Anyone who thinks he should have been a mid round, day two pick is quite frankly clueless. 

7 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Players have been known to get better in years 2 and 3 of their career. 

like milliner pryor and mcdougle, eh?

So you're using 3 negative examples to defend an argument that something has a 0% chance of happening?  Well done.

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And keep repeating it like a broken record.  Anyone who thinks he should have been a mid round, day two pick is quite frankly clueless. 

If he does not get turnovers and cannot cover then that is EXACTLY what he should have been.  We'll see if his play can catch up to his mouth this year. 

You do not draft a non play making run stopping safety at 6 overall.  Taking a safety at 6 is okay if he is Ed Reed or polamolu or one of the greats who has a big impact on the game.  Stopping the run is not that.  Time for Adams to nut up this year, yeah pun intended.

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If he does not get turnovers and cannot cover then that is EXACTLY what he should have been.  We'll see if his play can catch up to his mouth this year. 

You do not draft a non play making run stopping safety at 6 overall.  Taking a safety at 6 is okay if he is Ed Reed or polamolu or one of the greats who has a big impact on the game.  Stopping the run is not that.  Time for Adams to nut up this year, yeah pun intended.

He's played one season.  Polamalu wasnt Polamalu in year one.  I stick to my comment.  He's not a day 2, mid round pick to anyone other than some fans who hated a S being picked in the first and keep carrying on about it.  

On 7/19/2018 at 6:48 PM, David Harris said:

Eric Berry ran a 4.40.  Jamal Adams ran a 4.56.

Eric Berry jumped 43 inches.  Jamal Adams jumped 31.5.

Eric Berry broad jumped 130 inches.  Jamal Adams broad jumped 120 inches.

Eric Berry's 3-cone was 6.8.  Jamal Adams' 3 cone was 6.96.

Please, tell us more...

On 7/20/2018 at 7:48 AM, JetFanatic said:

Am I reading some of these right???  Do some of you really actually think this kid is going to be a glorified box safety?  The kid is going to be a stud.  Period.  I'm assuming the people calling him a box safety and this and that never watched him play in college because that's what he's going to be, an all around do it all safety very much worthy of the 6th overall pick.  I would even say to give him 3 years before placing any kind of judgement but I think he'll showcase his full skill set this season.

5 picks in 3 seasons is what you're taking about re: his college career?  Or, the two forced fumbles?

Glorified box safety is actually complimentary...

On 7/21/2018 at 2:52 AM, MykePM said:

It's one thing to doubt whether "The President" will be as good as he says he will be (making the Pro Bowl every year).  It's another to flat out say he'll never show any improvement over the coverage skills he showed as a rookie, and will only ever be a "box safety".  Players have been known to get better in years 2 and 3 of their career.  

I wouldn't call that type of analysis "reasonable", although I will admit that Adams does invite a strong backlash by repeatedly writing checks with his mouth that he may never be able to cash.

The problem with Jamal Adams improving in coverage is that his coverage issues are largely due to the fact that, by NFL DB standards, or perhaps better, by NFL WR/TE standards, he's simply not that athletic.  The majority of the guys Jamal Adams may be asked to cover are bigger, stronger, and can run faster and jump higher than him.

Archived