Game Observations (MIA)

KRL

Watching this team is like getting your wisdom teeth pulled by the dentist
without novocaine.  A shameful effort by the offense and coaching staff led to
an embarrassing 13-6 loss to MIA:

Special Teams

- Too many appearances for Lachlan Edwards as the offense was generating multiple
three and outs

- Jason Myers has had an excellent year but the missed FG was a killer.  But the
offense did him no favors as they had a sack, delay of game penalty and drop
before his attempt

- Practically every drive started inside the 20 as MIA punter took the ball out
of Andre Roberts hands

Defense

- The only facet of the team that showed up as MIA was in good field position all
game yet they only gave up six points   

- Jamal Adams continued his excellent play as he was all over the field.  He impacted
the game in run support, blitzing and coverage

- Jordan Jenkins probably had his best game of his career with multiple sacks & TFL's

- Other defenders who showed up were Avery Williamson, Buster Skrine and Jeremiah
Attaochu

Offense

- This game is another indictment of the coaching staff and continues to prove they
aren't equipped to develop a young QB

- The offense was so bad their best "drive" of them game was when MIA committed back to
back facemasks for 30 yards

- How does the coaching staff justify leaving Spencer Long in the game after his tenth
awful snap???

- Elijah McGuire had fresh explosive legs (3 recs / 37 yds), why wasn't he used more???

- Chris Herndon showed up again (4 recs / 62 yds), why wasn't he used more???

- Jermaine Kearse, how do you go out of bounds with no one around you on the final drive of
the game???  And why did he get nine targets when McGuire & Herndon were more effective???

- Why are we wasting a timeout on the third play of the second half???

- Sam Darnold was awful as he lost the game with four INT's and a pick six.  The bigger
question is how much are the bad snaps affecting his play?    

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

Watching this team is like getting your wisdom teeth pulled by the dentist
without novocaine.  A shameful effort by the offense and coaching staff led to
an embarrassing 13-6 loss to MIA:

Special Teams

- Too many appearances for Lachlan Edwards as the offense was generating multiple
three and outs

- Jason Myers has had an excellent year but the missed FG was a killer.  But the
offense did him no favors as they had a sack, delay of game penalty and drop
before his attempt

- Practically every drive started inside the 20 as MIA punter took the ball out
of Andre Roberts hands

Defense

- The only facet of the team that showed up as MIA was in good field position all
game yet they only gave up six points   

- Jamal Adams continued his excellent play as he was all over the field.  He impacted
the game in run support, blitzing and coverage

- Jordan Jenkins probably had his best game of his career with multiple sacks & TFL's

- Other defenders who showed up were Avery Williamson, Buster Skrine and Jeremiah
Attaochu

Offense

- This game is another indictment of the coaching staff and continues to prove they
aren't equipped to develop a young QB

- The offense was so bad their best "drive" of them game was when MIA committed back to
back facemasks for 30 yards

- How does the coaching staff justify leaving Spencer Long in the game after his tenth
awful snap???

- Elijah McGuire had fresh explosive legs (3 recs / 37 yds), why wasn't he used more???

- Chris Herndon showed up again (4 recs / 62 yds), why wasn't he used more???

- Jermaine Kearse, how do you go out of bounds with no one around you on the final drive of
the game???  And why did he get nine targets when McGuire & Herndon were more effective???

- Why are we wasting a timeout on the third play of the second half???

- Sam Darnold was awful as he lost the game with four INT's and a pick six.  The bigger
question is how much are the bad snaps affecting his play?     

Considering most short to medium passing plays are timing, my guess is a lot.

Defenses are sitting on everything bates does. He never surprises anyone or gets Sam an open look

Kearse and Anderson gave terrible efforts and had terrible body language. They acted like they didn't want to be there

Crowell and long need to sit until they are actually healthy enough to function

Romo said young QBs can't check out of bad plays but they have to try at least. This offense seems to throw into coverage or run into 8 man boxes waaaaay too much

Sam's confidence is shaky and he made multiple poor decisions today

Defense is playoff caliber but they should be considering the investments

Defense is fine, add a pass rusher to level up further.

Sam can keep getting mulligans as far as I'm concerned. With a centre like that and what is amounting to 3rd string WRs, any issues I see with Sam can be cleared up with a better supporting cast.

2019 FA and draft has to be offensive dominate.

And agree with the observations. If the WRs aren't stepping up then use guys who are, give McGuire and Herndon more time since they are earning it.

Bowles is poor and contradictory. He talks about earning playing time, then gives Spencer Long all the time he wants despite a poor effort, but limits others.

Kearse looks awful, he was so good for us last year, I don’t get it. Sign Funchess preferably,  or Tate next year to replace him. 

tomlinson  is garbage, should never be thrown to ever. He was the target on the pick six. 

Long should have been benched, that is BAD coaching. Plus why keep calling shotgun plays with an injured center? BAD coaching.

agree about McGuire, he should have been used more in both passing and running game. Why no screen passes? BAD coaching

enunwa invisible in the first half why?

19 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

Defense is fine, add a pass rusher to level up further.

Sam can keep getting mulligans as far as I'm concerned. With a centre like that and what is amounting to 3rd string WRs, any issues I see with Sam can be cleared up with a better supporting cast.

2019 FA and draft has to be offensive dominate.

And agree with the observations. If the WRs aren't stepping up then use guys who are, give McGuire and Herndon more time since they are earning it.

Bowles is poor and contradictory. He talks about earning playing time, then gives Spencer Long all the time he wants despite a poor effort, but limits others.

The best run blocker on the roster might be Dakota Dozier and he’s also a Centre but Bowles won’t give him a chance.....I just think TB is too stubborn

10 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Kearse looks awful, he was so good for us last year, I don’t get it. Sign Funchess preferably,  or Tate next year to replace him. 

tomlinson  is garbage, should never be thrown to ever. He was the target on the pick six. 

Long should have been benched, that is BAD coaching. Plus why keep calling shotgun plays with an injured center? BAD coaching.

agree about McGuire, he should have been used more in both passing and running game. Why no screen passes? BAD coaching

enunwa invisible in the first half why?

Kearse was outstanding in an offense that at times last year looked efficient and capable and exciting with Josh freakin’ McCown at QB!!!...an offense that had Robby Anderson looking like an all-pro, an offense without Enunwa and with a completely washed up Matt Forte rather than Crowell who we’ve seen can be explosive enough to have a 219 yard day on just 15 carries behind pretty much the same OL. But Bowies decided that the OC behind that wasn’t conservative enough. If that doesn’t tell you something about TB’s judgement then nothing will.

48 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Kearse was outstanding in an offense that at times last year looked efficient and capable and exciting with Josh freakin’ McCown at QB!!!...an offense that had Robby Anderson looking like an all-pro, an offense without Enunwa and with a completely washed up Matt Forte rather than Crowell who we’ve seen can be explosive enough to have a 219 yard day on just 15 carries behind pretty much the same OL. But Bowies decided that the OC behind that wasn’t conservative enough. If that doesn’t tell you something about TB’s judgement then nothing will.

Agree about Morton. I thought he did a good job when McCown was healthy. Bates has only had one season of previous OC and he was fired by Pete carrol. Bates didn’t even want the job initially per reports. That should have been a red flag right there. Should have kept Morton and leave bates as qb coach. This all reflects poorly on Bowles. Can’t have a 4th OC in 4 yrs without firing Bowles!

I remember when TB was billed as a Parcells guy.   The ONLY thing TB learned from the Tuna is stubbornness.  Also if I hear one more person (yes listening to WFAN) defend Mac i a m going to go nuts.  Beningo said he deserves to stay because every one of his #1 picks is playing.  Where's the pro bowlers I ask you?

36 minutes ago, deucebag said:

I remember when TB was billed as a Parcells guy.   The ONLY thing TB learned from the Tuna is stubbornness.  Also if I hear one more person (yes listening to WFAN) defend Mac i a m going to go nuts.  Beningo said he deserves to stay because every one of his #1 picks is playing.  Where's the pro bowlers I ask you?

they also overlook that they're playing because Mac purged the roster of anyone who could challenge them so he could get "his" guys in there. Any GM could technically ensure his 1st round picks are playing. No one is looking at Lee and going "Solid Pick. Definitely wouldn't want that one back."

It was another hard to watch game. No deep ball throws. Anderson seems hand cuffed. The dude is a deep ball threat. At the very least the Jets need to air it out to Anderson a few times a game to keep the Defense honest. I understand they were trying to get the run game established, especially against a Fin team ranked 30th against the run. But it wasn’t working so why not run some play action and air it out downfield. I thought the play calling was terrible. Sam regressed this game and hopefully he can overcome. He looked confused and out of sink. Maybe due to the bad snaps all game. Why leave Long in the game? He was obviously not able to hike the stinking ball in the shotgun. This is an indictment on the coaching. It’s time Jet fans. Many have been calling for Bowles head on a platter for a long time around here. I for one have not been one of them but it’s obvious that Bowles is more than likely a very good D coordinator but has not been able to transition to a good HC. No adjustments, no answers, and no hope. I have to honestly say time has run out on 1 Jets drive for Todd Bowles.

On 11/4/2018 at 5:30 PM, section314 said:

Considering most short to medium passing plays are timing, my guess is a lot.

yep. it was plenty clear darnold was getting rattled because he had to handle the snaps and then make the play.  the int's, i think , all came off of bad snaps except the last one.  and then there was the one that he mishandled and retrieved with a huge loss.  ridiculous long was kept in for so long.

Archived